Guest Paul

• Replies 83
  • Views 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Sad to hear news that Willie Mitchell died today.

Cannot believe it, just a day after we had that excellent discussion about AL GREEN yesterday. I had a great evening playing all those early sides they cut too. It's great being a member of this site but it does also constantly remind you of the reality of our own age group - peers pass away - and those who are slightly older who we admire and cherish are passing constantly.

Another great Soul innovator gone but not forgotten. RIP.

Social source share

I really loved and still love those Al Green, Ann Peebles, Syl Johnson records, they are from a period before I discovered Northern and the Hi sound was always my favourite.

Needless to say The Champion was my favourite record for a long time in 1976, I still love it.

RIP Willie Mitchell

Social source share

I got an email from Red Kelly earlier today informing me of the sad news

It is my sad duty to inform you that our friend (and hero) Willie Mitchell passed this morning at Methodist Hospital in Memphis. He had been on life-support for several weeks.

Memphis will never be the same...

I'll let you know funeral arrangements as soon as I get them.

Thanks.

red kelly

Social source share

Papa Willie Rest In Peace

willie_mitchell_pauls.jpg

We regret to report that music pioneer Willie Mitchell died this morning at b7;25 in Memphis Methodist Medical Center

Born and raised in Ashland, Mississippi, Mitchell moved to Memphis when he was in high school. He attended Rust College.

At the age of eight, he began to play the trumpet. While in high school, he was a featured player in popular local big bands. He later formed his own combo, which from time to time included musicians such as saxophonists Booker Little, Charles Lloyd, and George Coleman, and pianist Phineas Newborn, Jr

Mitchell landed a job with the Home of the Blues record label as a producer, then left to join Hi Records as both a recording artist and a producer.

Known at the recording studio as "Papa Willie," Mitchell earned his nickname by taking over the reins of Hi Records in 1970 and guiding it through its most successful period. Mitchell's productions have been much noted for featuring a hard-hitting kick drum sound (usually played by pioneering Memphis drummer Al Jackson, Jr. of Booker T. and the MG's).

A trumpeter and bandleader in his own right, Mitchell released a number of popular singles for Hi Records as an artist in the 1960s, including "Soul Serenade."

He and Al Green revived their successful recording partnership in 2003 when Green recorded I Can't Stop, his first collaboration with Mitchell since 1985's He is the Light. Their 2005 follow-up project was Everything's OK.

Additional Information When Made Available

Social source share

Extremely Sad News.

Always Loved "That Driving Beat", "Secret Home"

From First Hearing To Present Day.

An Amazing Artist, His Music Will Be There Forever.

R.I.P. Willie Mitchell

WILLIE MITCHELL - THAT DRIVING BEAT - HI

Soundclip from Refosoul Archive

Hi_45-2097b_DJ.jpg

Driving beat will forever be getting plays from me. Just all time classic hard driving RnB at it's best!!

RIP Willie :6:

Social source share

VERY SAD NEWS INDEED R.I.P. WILLIE

Listen without predudice .......

As we know , Willie Mitchell was a producer and musician who always managed to get the best out of a performer ...... soul orientated or not , with not being case with the pop band Wet Wet Wet , and his producing of their " Memphis Sessions " album .

Forget who it is , and imagine Al Green doing this .....

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Listen without predudice .......

As we know , Willie Mitchell was a producer and musician who always managed to get the best out of a performer ...... soul orientated or not , with not being case with the pop band Wet Wet Wet , and his producing of their " Memphis Sessions " album .

Forget who it is , and imagine Al Green doing this .....

Malc Burton

Remember hearing this in the 80's and being pretty gobsmacked as not a great fan of "WWW"...just shows what he could get from an artist. RIP Willie Mitchell, one of the giants. (What a sad start to the year).

Social source share

Remember hearing this in the 80's and being pretty gobsmacked as not a great fan of "WWW"...just shows what he could get from an artist. RIP Willie Mitchell, one of the giants. (What a sad start to the year).

Another one bearing the WM production magic .....

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

As is often the case, a truly great man, who appeared to be totally unassuming. Rest in peace Mr. Mitchell.

Edited by mrs norman maine
Social source share

More Real Soul Perfection.

Jean Plum "Back To You".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSw3BxMV_SU&feature=PlayList&p=5F16E5329B6C5535&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=52

Very sad news mate, a true giant in a world too often populated by the mediocre. I have a great memory of seeing him on stage at the Waylo tour in the 90s. I was shouting to him 'Willie you're a legend' he washatsoff2.gif

Social source share

Very sad news mate, a true giant in a world too often populated by the mediocre. I have a great memory of seeing him on stage at the Waylo tour in the 90s. I was shouting to him 'Willie you're a legend' he washatsoff2.gif

Late 80's mate wasn't it... (would you believe?).

We got backstage with him and Otis Clay, Ann Peebles etc.

Will have to dig out the photos.

Met him twice.

A Perfect Gentleman.

We went to see him last year in Memphis.

His old van was in the yard, but he didn't come to the door, I'm sorry to say.

He contracted Pneumonia after going into hospital for a Hip replacement.

Never fully recovered.

But Legend is the word mate.

Sean

Social source share

Late 80's mate wasn't it... (would you believe?).

We got backstage with him and Otis Clay, Ann Peebles etc.

Will have to dig out the photos.

Met him twice.

A Perfect Gentleman.

We went to see him last year in Memphis.

His old van was in the yard, but he didn't come to the door, I'm sorry to say.

He contracted Pneumonia after going into hospital for a Hip replacement.

Never fully recovered.

But Legend is the word mate.

Sean

Will make those sleeve notes even more poignant now mate. RIP Willie......

Ian D

Social source share

So so sad a true legend has gone

Saw my first WM LP tucked under a cool dude's arm at a youth club back in '68, cool dude was 19/20 name unknown.

Thought to myself "why's he wanna Herb Albert type album?" this isn't cool.

Luckily myself & Jeff Vaughan were running the music console at this particular YC and the "cool dude" finally asked us to play it.

"Which track" says I all 15 & cocksure

"Oh any" came the reply.........................

the rest is my own soul history :lol:

Gr8 gr8 musician, writer,producer,arranger which he doesn't always get credit for - most just remember his own releases

Well done those who've posted WM productions etc :yes:

RIP Willie - see you in 20-75 with Buster Browne :shhh:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!