• Replies 83
  • Views 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Very sad news indeed

We have one of those "nearly" moments. 2008 we were in Memphis and got offered the chance of a full afternoon with Willie in the studio as a guest of Dan Greer 2 days later. Trouble was we were leaving for Muscle Shoals that day and driving to the far side of the State to meet up with relatives.

We were knackered and it would have meant a 6 hour drive back to Memphis early hours on the day of the session-so we turned it down-hoping to hook up in 2009. We rang Dan last year told him our dates in town -but Willie wasn't that well-so we didn't get to meet him frusty2.giffrusty2.giffrusty2.gif

We also found out the afternoon session we missed was also attended by a singer called AL GREEN frusty2.giffrusty2.giffrusty2.giffrusty2.giffrusty2.giffrusty2.gif sometimes you have to grab every oppertunity with both hands.

R I P Willie Mitchell-thank you for your music.

Rob & Karen

Social source share

Oh that's a sore one. A true genius indeed and one of the very few people that can claim to be responsible for changing the face of music, being copied by many for many years after.

I think this thread proves for me its his productions that really were his legacy, and I would disagree with Ash, I reckon in the wide world outside of the Northern scene most people are more familiar with his productions as they were truly groundbreaking and genre defining.

However, whatever way you remember him, and its fairly clear all sectors of the soul world do, its living proof of the mans enormous legacy, another really sad day, but as someone else says, he leaves a lot of great work that we can celebrate his life by, and it really is truly worth celebrating for me.

C'mon guys, a nice fitting tribute would be to put some soundfiles on refosoul other than You Tube clips, then he is going to live forever on here too.

RIP Willie Mitchell, a leader and a true player!

Social source share

Jocko I WAS trying to say what you DID say hatsoff2.gif

but check majority NS replies and they nearly all DBeat

& The Ch.

As I tried to get across, Loved the guys work :D:D

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Well he clearly was a champion. but i have to say not know a great deal of his work but from what i know it's pretty good so and had no idea he did Wet Wet Wet album which i have. Worked with John Mayer too and got a grammy award also with lifetime achivement award

RIP willie mitchell

Social source share

Well he clearly was a champion. but i have to say not know a great deal of his work but from what i know it's pretty good so and had no idea he did Wet Wet Wet album which i have. Worked with John Mayer too and got a grammy award also with lifetime achivement award

RIP willie mitchell

One interesting fact that I did not know about Willie Mitchell , was that he provided arrangements for songs recorded at Sam Phillips' Sun Records in the late 1950s .

Anyone know what these were ?

Malc Burton

Social source share

Great Quote from Rodney Lay Jnr

I once had the honor and pleasure of co-producing an album with Willie.

He was a great guy. Al Green stopped by the session at Royal Recording

in Memphis and I got to meet him, too. One of Willie's great lines was,

"man, that's so good it makes a cold shit run down my leg"!!! He had a million stories and was a tresure to work with. What a great man and true rock-n-roll pioneer. He will be missed.

Amen

Social source share

nice one sean for the information on willies work etc it seems to me this decade could well be decade horribilus for losing the people who gave us so much musical enjoyment but we still dance to the mans music bcoz that is eternal.r.i.p.jd.

Social source share

hi on Sunday Night We Will Be Playing At least A hour Of Willies Music And Produtions please Tune in If You would like To go live on Air To a have a Five Minute Chat please Email me At www.hassoulman@yahoo.co.uk and We Will Call You live on Air between 8-00pm And 9-00pm uk time Otis Clay Is Coming On Live And Toni Green Who was In The studio with willie cutting Some Track s just before he Passed

please Check The web Site out loads of past interviews www.therighttrack.org.uk

Harry & DianaThe Right Track Soul ShowSalford City Radio 94.4 fmSunday nights 8.00 pm - 10.00 pmwww.salfordcityradio.orgemail: righttrack@salfordcityradio.orghttps://www.therighttrack.org.ukStudio Number: 0161 793 2944 / 2942

Social source share

Great Quote from Rodney Lay Jnr

I once had the honor and pleasure of co-producing an album with Willie.

He was a great guy. Al Green stopped by the session at Royal Recording

in Memphis and I got to meet him, too. One of Willie's great lines was,

"man, that's so good it makes a cold shit run down my leg"!!! He had a million stories and was a tresure to work with. What a great man and true rock-n-roll pioneer. He will be missed.

Amen

hi on Sunday Night We Will Be Playing At least A hour Of Willies Music And Produtions please Tune in If You would like To go live on Air To a have a Five Minute Chat please Email me At www.hassoulman@yahoo.co.uk and We Will Call You live on Air between 8-00pm And 9-00pm uk time Otis Clay Is Coming On Live And Toni Green Who was In The studio with willie cutting Some Track s just before he Passed

please Check The web Site out loads of past interviews www.therighttrack.org.uk

Harry & DianaThe Right Track Soul ShowSalford City Radio 94.4 fmSunday nights 8.00 pm - 10.00 pmwww.salfordcityradio.orgemail: righttrack@salfordcityradio.orghttps://www

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Sad, sad news. As a lover of the Memphis and Southern Soul sound Willie Mitchell was to me far, far more than his northern related tracks or what he's singing or playing on but the amount of classic SOUL tracks he was uncredited for but behind in so many ways.

To me Willie Mitchell was, still is and always will be Hi Records

Take it away Otis

Social source share

Dear Willie..

You were my champion..

x

I second that emotion............

The champion is the definition of a Northern Soul instrumental and over the last 35 years of my life has been one of those 'pick me up' tunes whenever Ive felt down. Nothing more spectacular than a full dance floor pounding away to this.

Of course WM was more than this one record, but still, this one record is unique.

RIP WM. Next chance I get I will try and dance the whole way through to it in your memory.

Ed

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

HERD SOME MORE SAD NEWS ON THE RADIO TODAY TEDDY PENDERGRASS DIED THIS MORNING AT THE AGE OF 59.

Fook me they're all keeling over, what a shit.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!