Cracked Records

Andreas

There is currently a Jesse Davis on ERA records on ebay which has a hairline crack as stated by the seller, but the price is right now, one day before auctions end, yet at nearly 900,-USD ohmy.gif what do you think, how much is a cracked record worth in comparision to an unspoiled copy and how high will people for >>THAT<< copy go? :g:

Social source share

• Replies 23
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

There is currently a Jesse Davis on ERA records on ebay which has a hairline crack as stated by the seller, but the price is right now, one day before auctions end, yet at nearly 900,-USD ohmy.gif what do you think, how much is a cracked record worth in comparision to an unspoiled copy and how high will people for >>THAT<< copy go? g.gif

certainly wouldnt pay that much for a cracked record! £30 maybe. at the end of the day its damaged and beyond repair, may play ok but can only get worse.

great tune though!

Social source share

WELL THERE'S THREE BIDDERS AT THE MO WHO'S TOOK FROM 300 USD TO 900 USD. RECORDS IN EX NICK WITH A SMALL STRESS THAT BARELY GETS PAST THE INTRO, SOUNDS GOOD TO ME AND DONT THINK IT'LL AFFECT PRICE TOO MUCH ON THIS ONE. THINK IT'LL GO UP A BIT YET.

BRI PINCH

YORK SOUL CLUB, SAT 6TH FEB.

Edited by bri pinch
Social source share

There is currently a Jesse Davis on ERA records on ebay which has a hairline crack as stated by the seller, but the price is right now, one day before auctions end, yet at nearly 900,-USD ohmy.gif what do you think, how much is a cracked record worth in comparision to an unspoiled copy and how high will people for >>THAT<< copy go? :g:

The desription is interesting - thought that it said cracked when I read it last week but now it just says

"(NOTE: VERY MINUTE STRESS DOES NOT AFFECT PLAY) (VERY HARD TO SEE) 1/4 "(INCH)"

I may have filled in the word 'crack' between the words STRESS and DOES in my own mind as thats clearly what is meant but maybe some of the bidders have missed it?

Social source share

The desription is interesting - thought that it said cracked when I read it last week but now it just says

"(NOTE: VERY MINUTE STRESS DOES NOT AFFECT PLAY) (VERY HARD TO SEE) 1/4 "(INCH)"

I may have filled in the word 'crack' between the words STRESS and DOES in my own mind as thats clearly what is meant but maybe some of the bidders have missed it?

1/4" is a fair size crack in a disc Ged.

How come these Yanks know all about these records now anyway? surely they dont all own copies of Manships Record Guide over there??? or do they just go round garage sales, buy any records and trawl the internet to see oif it comes up trumps for them?

Social source share

How come these Yanks know all about these records now anyway? surely they dont all own copies of Manships Record Guide over there??? or do they just go round garage sales, buy any records and trawl the internet to see oif it comes up trumps for them?

I think it was Bri that was suggesting it was a small crack. I was just pointing out the seller hasn't used the word crack at all.

I wouldn't dream of spending this much on a cracked record.

This seller has a great track record for turning up the goods and knows what's what thats for sure. Anyone who is serious about selling from the US must have the guide by now thats why the starting prices are so high for so many IMHO. Trouble is they take the guide as gospel and as we all know thats far from the truth.

Social source share

The last Allentown record Show i went to, there was a stall selling copies of the Manship Guide - and they made more money than any other dealer there that weekend.

Practically ever record store you go in has at least one edition of the guide.

The cats well and truly out of the bag.

Social source share

Suppose it all depends how you define a stress crack. Plenty of styrene records have what looks like an almost invisible "scratch" which doesn't sound at all - you think it's a hairline scuff until you flip it and see the exact same hairline scuff on the other side. It's not REALLY a scratch and doesn't sound at all. Is it a minute scuff or a HAIRLINE CRACK? Guess it depends if you're selling or buying... shades.gif

Social source share

Suppose it all depends how you define a stress crack. Plenty of styrene records have what looks like an almost invisible "scratch" which doesn't sound at all - you think it's a hairline scuff until you flip it and see the exact same hairline scuff on the other side. It's not REALLY a scratch and doesn't sound at all. Is it a minute scuff or a HAIRLINE CRACK? Guess it depends if you're selling or buying... :shades:

It's neither! It's just a join in the plastic. It LOOKS like a crack but it isn't. If you've got the MVP's have a look, 99.9% of all copies have got that line.

Social source share

It's neither! It's just a join in the plastic. It LOOKS like a crack but it isn't. If you've got the MVP's have a look, 99.9% of all copies have got that line.

so are the 0.1% that dont have the crack, sorry join, more expensive pete?huh.gif must go and check mine out if i can find it!

Social source share

Don`t think there can be one distinctive answer to the original question. It will always depend on the records demand, rarity and and how much the crack is affecting the play. Nobody would b willing to pay 100 UKP for a cracked Sam Fletcher yet I bet there are people out there who would be more then happy to pay 5000 UKP for a cracked but OK playing Frankie Wilson (to name just one example).

Marc

Social source share

Don`t think there can be one distinctive answer to the original question. It will always depend on the records demand, rarity and and how much the crack is affecting the play. Nobody would b willing to pay 100 UKP for a cracked Sam Fletcher yet I bet there are people out there who would be more then happy to pay 5000 UKP for a cracked but OK playing Frankie Wilson (to name just one example).

Marc

that are 20% of the "usual" price for frank wilson, but the price for the cracked jesse davis is right now at about 65% of its "usual" price and that is maybe indeed a result of the not to everyone 100% clear description about the crack, maybe the buyer will be pissed when he get it. not to forget that the listed record is "only" the more common 2nd pressing of "hang on in there girl". anyway, in general I would agree with you :shades:

Edited by Andreas
Social source share

Well put and a good point. i've seen hundreds of styrene records with this faint line in both sides. it's not a crack at all just a slight mis-color where the styrene joins.

Social source share

Well put and a good point. i've seen hundreds of styrene records with this faint line in both sides. it's not a crack at all just a slight mis-color where the styrene joins.

As Pete & Carl have already mentioned,

Here's a >>> <<<

On that very subject, RE: Metal Stamping Disc

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Eh? But styrene doesn't join - it's injection moulded plastic - the "join" is round the outer flat edge of the disc, that's where you'd get a line when the two parts of the mould come apart. Not that I'm an expert on record pressing or anything. If the record has an almost imperceptible line, then surely it's a hairline crack. But I agree, nearly all of them have it (since they're so fragile) and it makes no difference to the sound or quality. It's just a tiny wee line...

Social source share

it is lou stanley selling it as well and he has a decent reputation.but as far as i`m concerned a crack is where you can `part` the vinyl. surely a vinyl fault as in a lot of styrene 45`s cannot be misconstrude as a crack

dave

Lew has a reputation for being very descreet with his grading imhowhistling.gif

Usually gives a grade I;E vg+/ex /nm and leaves the finer details out ,in the hope ,you don't say anything cos your just glad to own a rare recordyes.gif

To be fair his ebay items are well illustrated ,at least they have label scans and soundfiles.

Social source share

Speaking of cracked records and the lengths people are prepared to go to own some tunes, there was a cracked and unplayable Bernie Williams in my collection when I sold it. I heard some interesting stories later about how it had been used, anyone one know anything?

It was taped on the flipside, and would have had my name on the runout.

best,

RB

Social source share

There is currently a Jesse Davis on ERA records on ebay which has a hairline crack as stated by the seller, but the price is right now, one day before auctions end, yet at nearly 900,-USD :ohmy: what do you think, how much is a cracked record worth in comparision to an unspoiled copy and how high will people for >>THAT<< copy go? :chinstroke:

OVER $1300 AT THE MOMENT, BIT MORE TO GO YET I EXPECT,

LEW STANLEY HAS BEEN GOING FOR MANY YEARS AND IS ONE ONF THE BEST DEALERS IN THE USA IMO,

I HAD HIS AUCTION LISTS OFF AND ON FOR MANY YEARS, HE MUST HAVE HAD JUST ABOUT ANYTHING WORTH HAVING OVER THE YEARS,

JOE.

Social source share

hi keith, it was a piece of vinyl glued to the b side & he gave me 500 quid for it back in 1995, often wondered what happened to it, i'd be happy to pay 500 to get it back

WAS GONNA POST THAT MISSEN TREV, DID YOU DO THE SAME WITH THAT SILKIE HARGREAVES THAT GOT SAT ON AT A PARTY?

BRI PINCH.

YORK SOUL CLUB, SAT 6TH FEB.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!