soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 19
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

h

Has it really gone that high ? I know Steve G got one a while ago ?

About 3 years ago Simon I got mine and it was still relatively unknown - and thus not that expensive (think Butch and Dave Welding may have been playing it, and maybe Arthur or Andy D (can't remember) but it was still a relatively new spin). John A told me when he got all the Both Sides stuff he had quantity on all of the titles except this one, which he only had a few of. So I don't think it's ever been an easy record.....and bearing in mind I was buying new releases from John weekly at the time, and didn't get a sniff at this one then, I'd imagine the few copies he had probably went to the "big names" (Searling, Sam etc) and Japan. I was merely a struggling "po'boy" with hungry mouths to feed precious little money and a second hand Honda 90 for transport back then (violin smily) :shades::rolleyes: So it was probably out of my price range anyway. As you know sometimes I used to go with Sam in his Chevette, we'd have seperate piles of records to play through, I'd have these really good cheap records to play through, and Sam had his own pile with things like Fluorescent Smogg in..... :hatsoff2:

I guess the records were individually selected based on our respective budgets......Anyway enough of the history....Is Ohio the most under rated soul state or Texas? Steve

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

About 3 years ago Simon I got mine and it was still relatively unknown - and thus not that expensive (think Butch and Dave Welding may have been playing it, and maybe Arthur or Andy D (can't remember) but it was still a relatively new spin). John A told me when he got all the Both Sides stuff he had quantity on all of the titles except this one, which he only had a few of. So I don't think it's ever been an easy record.....and bearing in mind I was buying new releases from John weekly at the time, and didn't get a sniff at this one then, I'd imagine the few copies he had probably went to the "big names" (Searling, Sam etc) and Japan. I was merely a struggling "po'boy" with hungry mouths to feed precious little money and a second hand Honda 90 for transport back then (violin smily) :shades::rolleyes: So it was probably out of my price range anyway. As you know sometimes I used to go with Sam in his Chevette, we'd have seperate piles of records to play through, I'd have these really good cheap records to play through, and Sam had his own pile with things like Fluorescent Smogg in..... :hatsoff2:

I guess the records were individually selected based on our respective budgets......Anyway enough of the history....Is Ohio the most under rated soul state or Texas? Steve

I always went by train Steve ( John was a good taxi service from the station) , Oh Gary Dennis took me twice later on in the 80's . Sam always had a good pile to play and hogged the decks too :glare:

I did not see this record throughout that time !!

Social source share

Think Ian Clark was sent one as a new release when he was tying up the Jan Jones story.

Rare and brilliant. When I hear records like this at Northern events I am convinced that Pete is wrong when he states that the Northern scene must look deeper into the fifties in order to continue to find fresh sounds. Pure soul that would have made it any of the great venues of the past had it been around in anything like a decent quantity.

Social source share

Think Ian Clark was sent one as a new release when he was tying up the Jan Jones story.

Rare and brilliant. When I hear records like this at Northern events I am convinced that Pete is wrong when he states that the Northern scene must look deeper into the fifties in order to continue to find fresh sounds. Pure soul that would have made it any of the great venues of the past had it been around in anything like a decent quantity.

Maybe Keb is right , but he does the Bop now :lol:

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

I agree - you won't be surprised to hear - and just right for today. It's played at places like Lifeline, but had it been spun at Stafford I am sure it would have been big.

Social source share