The Death Of The Vinyl Record

Guest Brett F

Yeah but they measured those figures against the previous year which was disasterous. Believe me, I was using exactly the same spin 10 years ago in 1998 when vinyl sales were probably 1000% more!

I wouldn't give that vinyl plant much hope of surviving unfortunately. Does anyone still collect 78's? It's a little like Canute trying to order the sea to retreat to be honest.

Order up on those spare styli now I say!

A shame..........

Ian D biggrin.gif

That's kinda my point, Ian. Vinyl sales ARE increasing, and that's a fact.

And as I've said, there are a lot of people collecting vinyl, not only in the soul scene. Doowop, garage, old school rap, and people who just buy inexpensive albums they like...

And yeah, there are a lot of people still collecting 78s, specially blues. Check out Tefteller.

Social source share

• Replies 105
  • Views 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

There are to many different people involved in the real deal!!!! It's not only cool again to buy vinyl it's also good business. Many mainstream artists have limited runs of vinyl and don't forget the Electro, Techno and Hip Hop szene which do prefer vinyl not only for the already mentioned reasons but especially for the uncompressed sound quality. If you play a certain track in a club/studio off vinyl or CD you can hear the difference especially in House/Techno and Electro. It is a bit like when they said TV is going to kill cinema!!! A few went out of business but because of their unique and individually different experiences (selling points) both areas of entertainment will be with us for the foreseeable future.

Vinyl is Lifestyle, Sound Quality with a Proven Durability and Good Business!!!!:thumbup:

Oh, my daugther (14) was brought up by our Downloads-Society is now saying that physical ownership is going to make a comeback in her class!!!!

Social source share

It's about a period in time, but it's going to be over in the not too distant future. Nothing is more certain than change, enjoy it while you're here to, but don't expect it to be the norm or popular ever again. There will always be small pockets of young people keeping it alive in the future, but small pockets are all it will be, kids growing up today have much more 3-dimensional and interactive ways of spending their time and money than staring at a lump of plastic on a crackly deck. I'd love it all to be different, but it's not, so just accept it, enjoy it, and move on. IMHO.

cheers Sutty

So you did move to MP3 ? :thumbup:

Personnally I think vinyl is still going strong. A lot of great LP's have been reissued, Soul, Funk, and also Psych rock . In fact in this genre it seems that every high value record has been reissued.

Check out this seller's list : https://shop.ebay.com...id=p3911.c0.m14

big_vinyl_rules_1.jpg

Social source share

So you did move to MP3 ? :thumbsup:

Personnally I think vinyl is still going strong. A lot of great LP's have been reissued, Soul, Funk, and also Psych rock . In fact in this genre it seems that every high value record has been reissued.

No I didn't really move to mp3, if you read my mail I have always predominantly bought vinyl as it's my preferred format, I grew up with it.

My point is we are the exception in this age and you have to accept that whether you like it or not. Going on about how vinyl rules and saying it's making a comeback are just side-issues, it's not going to change what's happening, downloads are increasing, physical product is declining, there will continue to be a collectors market for vinyl but it's gone from the medium that people will use and will not return in anything like the volume of pressings or sales it did in the last 50 years. We are on the same side of the fence here, most people are not.

cheers Sutty

Social source share

No I didn't really move to mp3, if you read my mail I have always predominantly bought vinyl as it's my preferred format, I grew up with it.

My point is we are the exception in this age and you have to accept that whether you like it or not. Going on about how vinyl rules and saying it's making a comeback are just side-issues, it's not going to change what's happening, downloads are increasing, physical product is declining, there will continue to be a collectors market for vinyl but it's gone from the medium that people will use and will not return in anything like the volume of pressings or sales it did in the last 50 years. We are on the same side of the fence here, most people are not.

cheers Sutty

It may not return to it's former sales volume but it will certainly be around for quite a few years...Oh by the way Audio Books are back in vogue....:thumbsup:

Social source share

It may not return to it's former sales volume but it will certainly be around for quite a few years...Oh by the way Audio Books are back in vogue....:yes:

To use an analogy that works for my simple brain....

At the start of any new cycle/fashion/format - I see the rate of uptake like a pendulum. It tends to swing quite wide and fast at the start, but gradually slows down over time with the left and right extremes slowly apperaring less radical.

Occasionally it will settle to one side or the other, but more often than not it will sit towards the middle in the end.... and thats were I think/hope the survival of vinyl/physical music will sit too.

Think about "Digital media" in it's many forms, wether it be CD, MP3. Download.... or if you are a photographer JPEG, PNG etc....

Many of these digital formats do have some advantages for the modern world that we currently inhabit, and sadly nearly all these "virtual" formats are the only forms that the younger generation are familiar with.

However, we constantly spout that from a quality point of view that our familiar "analogue" vinyl just sounds better. But more importantly (in my mind) it is this physical/tangible quality that still holds out a margin of hope for an extended existence.

Whilst I do not anticipate seeing the pendulum swung far enough to the left for a mass revival of vinyl, I do like to think that its longevity to date will continue to emphasize it's physical/non-virtual qualities enough for some producers to have belief in maintaining some kind of production no matter how small...

Remember - One electro magnetic hiccup/pulse could wipe out 30 years worth of your vunerable digital media in the blink of an eye - but our beloved vinyl would still be about.:thumbup: ( I lost a hard drive with 8,000 MP3's that wiped out over 2 years worth of vinyl recording)

I ask myself - When 40 years after a picture was taken - or a record was pressed, and I can still see and listen to them to enjoy...... Would I be able to look at a JPEG of my kids or listen to an MP3 of Duffy and the like in 40 years......??:chinstroke:

Hold onto your vinyl, whilst/because you can....... remember, all the virtual formats are held by someone/thing else.... :unsure:

Whatever format the future holds, lets hope it has both the quality and tangibility of something as long lived as vinyl....

Social source share