The Death Of The Vinyl Record

Guest Brett F

Guest Brett F

How's that, exactly? rolleyes.gif

Like a dog with a bone......................in effect the total domination of a musical industry by it's values and philosophy, thus destroying a 'race' (vinyl) because it is considered no longer worthy for 'their' needs. Yes a final solution when taken as 'vinyl' is worthless and seen as a 'sub-format'..........hell mate just my opinion, you want to challenge that then please do.................

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

• Replies 105
  • Views 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

From the horses mouth..................

Thanks Ian, i wasn't trying to score points just affirming a point (like has been mentioned before, 10 years ago etc) that i find it really quite sad that my daughter (age 5) will only see vinyl records as a curio/ novelty item, you know how kids are they want whats current, and who can blame them, i still feel strongly that a vinyl record is indeed a ' Objet D'Art'....and the passing of such should be indeed be bemoaned.........

Tell me about it Brett! I have a 16 year old who plays drum and bass on her shitty mobile constantly and brings her friends around who are constantly amazed when they see the record room and can't believe why someone would fill a room with plastic when they have more music on their bloody computers!

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

I dont know about this one , but my 17 year old daughter is an indie bopper and never buys cds only new luscious 7 inch vinyls from 99p to 4.99 from rough trade and the like, I know its not Sam Dees but it seems alive n kicking to me !

Social source share

Guest john s

Like a dog with a bone......................in effect the total domination of a musical industry by it's values and philosophy, thus destroying a 'race' (vinyl) because it is considered no longer worthy for 'their' needs. Yes a final solution when taken as 'vinyl' is worthless and seen as a 'sub-format'..........hell mate just my opinion, you want to challenge that then please do.................

So you're comparing the replacement of one music format by another, with the deliberate extermination of millions of people, because of their race, sexuality, political views or infirmity.

OK.

One of us needs to get a grip, here, I think.

wanker.gif

Social source share

Guest Brett F

So you're comparing the replacement of one music format by another, with the deliberate extermination of millions of people, because of their race, sexuality, political views or infirmity.

OK.

One of us needs to get a grip, here, I think.

wanker.gif

Oh get over yourself, please its a crass analogy, thats all, Jesus, i'd like to meet you on a night out, i bet you are so much fun.and call me a wanker to my face.i dare you...................i live in Sheffield you want my address you can have it just pm me ok..............

Social source share

Oh get over yourself, please its a crass analogy, thats all, Jesus, i'd like to meet you on a night out, i bet you are so much fun.and call me a wanker to my face.i dare you...................i live in Sheffield you want my address you can have it just pm me ok..............

Fight! Fight!

Ian D laugh.gif

Social source share

Guest john s

Goodness me, is that a threat?

How nice! I haven't been threatened on the internet for ages!

I'm in Bristol, by the way - haven't been to Sheffield for years, but if I do, I'll be sure to look you up. thumbup.gif

Edited by john s
Social source share

Guest Brett F

Goodness me, is that a threat?

How nice! I haven't been threatened on the internet for ages!

I'm in Bristol, by the way - haven't been to Sheffield for years, but if I do, I'll be sure to look you up. thumbup.gif

John you gave this wanker.gif, in your post, i assumed you were being derogatory, sorry in my world its offensive, not certain what it means in Bristol , but i assure you in my neck of the woods it is inflammatory

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

No Paul look at the figures, i'm on about the download as opposed to the vinyl or even cd sales...........it will always be a curio to bands, but the under 25's only buy downloads, to buy vinyl is unusual amongst the young elements who buy new and current music.

Ha! Yes mate, I guess it is a sort of trendy novelty for bands. But i like to grasp at straws!laugh.gif

Social source share

Guest Brett F

By the way John im guest dj at the Spiders Web in Edinburgh on Feb 6th it's an all dayer alongside Keith Money, Kenny Burrell, Eddie Hubbard amongst others, you are more than welcome to come and debate any issues you have with me. In fact i'd enjoy that debate.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

i suppose looking at it with no emotion Vinyl is inefficient and all the companies have done is tried to streamline music in it's storage and up the quality levels . now you have a little box (ipod) with 80,000 tracks on it and no physical presence .

i would say Vinyl has had it's day for the general public and that's ok , for those who like their scenes to be elitist and underground the death of vinyl only furthers this .... it's also a selling point in that we get people in a BASICS genuinely fascinated by the vinyl approach to what we do

Social source share

Guest john s

By the way John im guest dj at the Spiders Web in Edinburgh on Feb 6th it's an all dayer alongside Keith Money, Kenny Burrell, Eddie Hubbard amongst others, you are more than welcome to come and debate any issues you have with me. In fact i'd enjoy that debate.

Well, thank you for the invitation. Unfortunately I have a busy schedule in Bristol that day - record fair in the daytime, event at night.

And I'm not really sure what there is to debate.

And Edinburgh is much further from me than Sheffield, anyway.

Social source share

Bloody awful. Designed for Laptop or Mobile Phone tinny speakers. They have no idea about quality and don't seem that bothered frankly. I call it audio wallpaper for the blank generation.......

Ian D biggrin.gif

Very true - not so long back I bought the Chess Pieces compilation from iTunes Store, one of the tracks on it is Jackie Ross "Selfish One" which sounds rather harsh compared to my UK Pye 45 (even when said 45 was recorded and encoded to the same bitrate :rolleyes: )

Social source share

Very true - not so long back I bought the Chess Pieces compilation from iTunes Store, one of the tracks on it is Jackie Ross "Selfish One" which sounds rather harsh compared to my UK Pye 45 (even when said 45 was recorded and encoded to the same bitrate :rolleyes: )

It would do though, it sounds totally different on a cd made from master tapes than a 40 year old mono single, let alone on a download

Social source share

How many genres are enjoyed through vinyl the way rare soul is? Is it so important in the grand scale of things?

It is in this house. Dont care what theories are espoused or what supposed progress is evolving.

Not interested. These things are not far off from being antiques and they are physical and historical embodiments of a great Modern Art form. In that sense to me vinyl Soul records are more important than they have ever been. But I am nuts anyway. wink.gif

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Can we re phrase that HMV still sell viny records in some stores. I go to local HMV every week in Peterborough and i brought 1 new release on 7 inch single Monday (can't remember title) but i was pleased and they have released Pet Shop Boys, Ash and other stuff over last few months i could pick up in HMV

I understand less plants to make vinyl but there will be now and in future some releases still and so far yet to see local HMV stop selling them, they even order if can't find in the store

Social source share

My two cents here:

Here's an article with figures on how much vinyl sales have increased in the past few years: https://www.variety.com/article/VR1118011438.html?categoryid=3813&cs=1

-Lots of bands in the European mod-ish scene are releasing their stuff on vinyl with a coupon to get a free download of the album. Basically all singles by American acts are released in 12" format with remixes and stuff. The soul scene is not the only one who remains faithful to vinyl: Hip Hop, house, etc. There is a market.

Of course downloads are more common than vinyl, but that doesn't mean it'll disappear. Ceedees will be gone first, that's for sure.

Even here in Mexico, the most unlikely place to appear, with the least musically educated people, were Creedence Clearwater and Abba are regarded as musical genius, and were you can buy a CD with 300 songs for less than a quid in the tube, a vinyl pressing plant just oppened.

So, IMO, downloads will become the industry standard, CD will disappear, but vinyl will be stronger than ten years ago.

Social source share

My two cents here:

Here's an article with figures on how much vinyl sales have increased in the past few years: https://www.variety.c...oryid=3813&cs=1

-Lots of bands in the European mod-ish scene are releasing their stuff on vinyl with a coupon to get a free download of the album. Basically all singles by American acts are released in 12" format with remixes and stuff. The soul scene is not the only one who remains faithful to vinyl: Hip Hop, house, etc. There is a market.

Of course downloads are more common than vinyl, but that doesn't mean it'll disappear. Ceedees will be gone first, that's for sure.

Even here in Mexico, the most unlikely place to appear, with the least musically educated people, were Creedence Clearwater and Abba are regarded as musical genius, and were you can buy a CD with 300 songs for less than a quid in the tube, a vinyl pressing plant just oppened.

So, IMO, downloads will become the industry standard, CD will disappear, but vinyl will be stronger than ten years ago.

Yeah but they measured those figures against the previous year which was disasterous. Believe me, I was using exactly the same spin 10 years ago in 1998 when vinyl sales were probably 1000% more!

I wouldn't give that vinyl plant much hope of surviving unfortunately. Does anyone still collect 78's? It's a little like Canute trying to order the sea to retreat to be honest.

Order up on those spare styli now I say!

A shame..........

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Can we re phrase that HMV still sell viny records in some stores. I go to local HMV every week in Peterborough and i brought 1 new release on 7 inch single Monday (can't remember title) but i was pleased and they have released Pet Shop Boys, Ash and other stuff over last few months i could pick up in HMV

I understand less plants to make vinyl but there will be now and in future some releases still and so far yet to see local HMV stop selling them, they even order if can't find in the store

That'll be local ordering. There's no vinyl at all in the Oxford St branch (which is the biggest store in the UK) and probably 98% of the other stores unfortunately. Since HMV are the only national chain that's a real shame but it does help the indie shops which are the lifeblood of vinyl anyway......

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

I only started buying c.d's a couple of years ago, as i love my Vynal :glare:

But i wish they would get rid of cd's, as we have dvd's to, i dont know if im listening to music or watching a film :hatsoff2: as they both look the same to me :shades:

I think Vynal will always be around, as long as there is a demand for it :rolleyes:

Debbie x

Edited by parkash
Social source share

Guest john s

Hi John

Take it all back, the week before it was widely reported that they had announced the end of production.

Dave

I know - that quote was everywhere at the end of November, but it doesn't appear to have come from Technics/Panasonic. :rolleyes:

Social source share

I dont know about this one , but my 17 year old daughter is an indie bopper and never buys cds only new luscious 7 inch vinyls from 99p to 4.99 from rough trade and the like, I know its not Sam Dees but it seems alive n kicking to me !

Yes got agree on that one alot of the indie scene still release on 7 inch so it cant all be bad.

Social source share

when we were all kids tho. music was something you could embrace and feel. it was like drinking a fine wine. today its like eating a mcdonalds and all that fast food rubbish along with the souless, automated voice, robot society that we live in. forward thinking in ur music policy but cling on to ur past with your values thats what i say

dave

on the soap box

Social source share

when we were all kids tho. music was something you could embrace and feel. it was like drinking a fine wine. today its like eating a mcdonalds and all that fast food rubbish along with the souless, automated voice, robot society that we live in. forward thinking in ur music policy but cling on to ur past with your values thats what i say

dave

on the soap box

Well said Dave :rolleyes:

We must keep onto what we have before it is too late : if and when it does disappear , just wait for those who sat on the sidelines to start spouting , a la global warming ......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Out of interest does anyone buy music downloads ? i never have, and i am not saying that i wouldn't if that was the only option of obtaining (legally) a track i actually craved ?

Social source share

Out of interest does anyone buy music downloads ? i never have, and i am not saying that i wouldn't if that was the only option of obtaining (legally) a track i actually craved ?

only bought the one brett. that was at christmas . got rage against the machine just to stop that pop factor nonsense from gettin no1 on xmas daythumbup.gif.my son shown me how to do it.....65p for a piece of fresh air u can listen to

dave

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

Guest Brett F

only bought the one brett. that was at christmas . got rage against the machine just to stop that pop factor nonsense from gettin no1 on xmas daythumbup.gif

dave

Hi Dave (great to see you last Sunday. by the way always a pleasure) but i will have to go the board of Arbitration over this matter, it could well involve you having a temporary suspension from soul source, hell i'll try to cajole the powers that be, but i reckon it's 50- 50 mate...laugh.gif

Social source share

Ken if i had thought of that.......i WOULD HAVE SAID IT...........F************** QUALITY COMMENT, BEST I'VE HEARD ON HERE IN YEARS....laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

unsure.gif

Edited by ken
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

I do , regularly in fact :D

Social source share

I do , regularly in fact :D

Me too.

I've spent thousands with iTunes this past 12 months.

How else are you gonna:-

a) Top up your iPod legally (ie not using Pirated material)

b ) Support new artists

c) Be able to own the best of Music that's not readily available on Vinyl (without purchasing an entire CD).

Of course I buy downloads. I'm a Soul MUSIC fan First and Foremost!

Vinyl Records were a neccesity when there was no alternative.

Nowadays there are many alternatives and it seems nonsensical to me to exclude any media if you're a Music fan FIRST.

Record collecting - nice hobby. :D Got rooms full of the stuff... but ultimately its all about the Music (all about SOUL) to me.

As a collector, I would certainly prefer Vinyl over other formats, because it's nice... and warm.... and 'collectable'.... but it don't play either in my car or on my iPod - so yes I buy 'em.

:lol:

Sean

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

As a collector, I would certainly prefer Vinyl over other formats, because it's nice... and warm.... and 'collectable'.... but it don't play either in my car or on my iPod

No, but that's what these are for:

https://www.artproaudio.com/products.asp?type=90&cat=13&id=128

Tho' I buy downloads of new stuff too - often you can get the video for not much extra, which is a bonus

Social source share

Vinyl as a medium didn't have that long a shelf life in the great history of music, less than 100 years, just that it was the first real medium that popularised the sale of recorded music. We just happen to feel we were lucky to grow up with it and love it and often still see it as the norm, but it's not anymore.

As a medium for new music there will be less and less places to press it, and less and less equipment available to play it on, and the market will shrink as time goes on. CD's will be worthless in the same way as 8-track and cassettes long before that though as they've already been superseded by mp3 and wav, people who bought cd's only really wanted recording quality and convenience, not the actual product itself. People who buy vinyl want the whole thing, but a lot of it is a romanticised view of the whole process of owning and listening to music, looking at the sleeve of an album or design of a label, i've been part of that too.

It's about a period in time, but it's going to be over in the not too distant future. Nothing is more certain than change, enjoy it while you're here to, but don't expect it to be the norm or popular ever again. There will always be small pockets of young people keeping it alive in the future, but small pockets are all it will be, kids growing up today have much more 3-dimensional and interactive ways of spending their time and money than staring at a lump of plastic on a crackly deck. I'd love it all to be different, but it's not, so just accept it, enjoy it, and move on. IMHO.

cheers Sutty

Social source share

It goes in between your turntable and your computer, enabling you to record your vinyl to high quality audio files which can go on your portable devices just as well as downloads - and sound a lot better IMO :D

Ah gotcha mate.

I've got one of these bolted onto my system which I think does a pretty good job.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-CDR796-05S-CD-Recorder/dp/B00007J5UN

Hope your well Neil and all the best for 2010.

:lol:

Sean

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

so HMV in oxford street stopped selling vinyl which one, cause i went to HMV about a few months in Oxford street well both and 1 of them had lots of vinyl (LP's and some singles). must have got rid now if they no longer stock

vinyl is like CD's still made and released in some capacity and will continue to do so for a little longer

Social source share

:hatsoff2:Hi to all Collectors as I have always collected in the main 6ts & 7ts Soul and Reggae and certain LPs white Blues some soul & reggae....The News that HMV has stopped selling LPs 45s means nothing to me at all? the last time I made a purchase not to long ago was for 25 12" singles on Sugarhill they were meant to be 3x£10 the bloke who served me said I could have the all for £30 good deal I think :ph34r: DAVE("Grand Master KILLA")KIL
Social source share

I love tapes. I watched Hi Fidelity last night and the bit about the art of making a mix tape is so true. Making someone a cd is too easy to do, even from vinyl. I love tapes but it saddens me to say my tape listening days are nearly over as my wife bought me a cd player for the car this Christmas.

Downloads are horrible things. I've never gone near them. When i was a teenager you had to make the effort to accumulate a selection of cd's that you could be proud to show your friends. And I was very proud of my cd collection. Every album showed that I'd been interested by that artist and made the effort to track down their material and give it a good listen to. And I did listen to it as I'd just parted with £15 for my troubles. And it excited me to get home and listen to it.

Now a days its very common for teenagers to have a computer with maybe 10,000 tracks on it. Most of which they will never listen to. So the musical journey then I went on that took me from a hits of the 80's double tape in 1988 to rare soul in 2004 is just not happening for the youth of today. They just download everything without really listening to anything.

As the musical format changes it allows the listener to become more blase'. You can't skip a vinyl record so you listen to it properly. Same with tapes. Downloading is an ignorant way of aquiring music in my opinion. Some things shouldn't be that convenient.

But vinyl has been absent for a while. I'm 28 and started on tapes then cds. Vinyl never played a part in my youth.

How many genres are enjoyed through vinyl the way rare soul is? Is it so important in the grand scale of things?

A well imformed post.

Especially gratifying for one so relatively young.

Note the word "relatively".. it's meant as a term of respect.

Anybody else enjoy "Looking For Eric"?

Social source share