Help Identifying 60S Detroit Misspress

Russoul1

hi all, tried this before with no joy as i couldnt do a soundclip

brought this 45 of ebay as hank johnson - lost love - ten high 102

have already got this 45, saw it cheap on "buy it now"

when 45 arrived, put it on to check playing condition, and found

it wasnt said tune but a misspress for ten high 103 on closer inspection on runout

with same labels on both sides

cant find any reference to this tune only that its a

white male vocal most probably titled as "get a hold of yourself"

i have attached soundfile, plus photo, see if it rings any bells!!

LITTLE ROGER HATCHER - TEN HIGH MISSPRESS -

russ

unknown 60's detroit artist

Edited by russoul1
Social source share

• Replies 23
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Okay, I figured it out. It's not a white artist. It's Little Roger Hatcher on Del-La Northern, "Get a Hold of Yourself." It's very rare and doesn't appear in the Roger Hatcher discog at Soulful Kinda Music, though they have it as a release on Dotty's, which I've never seen.

Edited by weingarden
Social source share

Okay, I figured it out. It's not a white artist. It's Little Roger Hatcher on Del-La Northern, "Get a Hold of Yourself." It's very rare and doesn't appear in the Roger Hatcher discog at Soulful Kinda Music, though they have it as a release on Dotty's, which I've never seen.

Diddnt it get released/pressed not long back,red and white thing ? and isnt it the same as the ohio players ?

Social source share

Hope you are right - Russ could do with a bit of good news!

Here is a version by The Platters (on Kent 116 - The Platters - The Musicor Years) Larry Johnson on Lead Vocals. The CD notes refer to connections back to Northern Del La which also tie in with 'weingarden' post above. If it is Roger Hatcher then its Edwin Starr (aka Charles Hatcher) Cousin. Roger Hatcher best known for his "Sweetest girl in the world" on Excello.

Could it be that the record Russ has should have been pressed up on Detroits 'Dotty's' record lable (have seen the title and artist mentioned on the Internet) but was pressed wrongly on Ten High?

The Platters version

Ray

hey interesting stuff, thanks guys. would there be a link between dottys and ten high; same pressing plant? the platters version take away the vocal is very similar to the said backing track, what release date was the platters version or if released?

as said the dottys release is stated 1964

anymore info appreciated

russ

Social source share

hey interesting stuff, thanks guys. would there be a link between dottys and ten high; same pressing plant? the platters version take away the vocal is very similar to the said backing track, what release date was the platters version or if released?

as said the dottys release is stated 1964

anymore info appreciated

russ

Platters version appears (per the Kent CD notes) as 1967.

Ray

ps/ get the beers in Russ!

Edited by Raym
Social source share

Platters version appears (per the Kent CD notes) as 1967.

Ray

ps/ get the beers in Russ!

seems it never got released on a 45, lp track "going back to detroit" musicor

another thing regards link between dottie & ten high, on the runout it reads 103a & 103b on flip which

would suggest its a ten high press as "lost love" is 102a & 102b????

Edited by russoul1
Social source share

Hoping to play the Little Roger Hatcher on Del-la Northern tonight on the radio: www.wfmu.org, 7-8 p.m. U.S. eastern time....show will thereafter be archived at www.wfmu.org/playlists/sv....could be that mine is a slightly different vocal take too. We can compare. It's in kind of rough shape, unfortunately.

Social source share

Hoping to play the Little Roger Hatcher on Del-la Northern tonight on the radio: www.wfmu.org, 7-8 p.m. U.S. eastern time....show will thereafter be archived at www.wfmu.org/playlists/sv....could be that mine is a slightly different vocal take too. We can compare. It's in kind of rough shape, unfortunately.

thanks for your imput in this, is the above label release , if different a rare 45? as its not listed in jms guide

look forward to comparing notes or takes lol

regards

russ

Social source share

Posts amended/ removed containing MP3 files, another reminder of house rules:

Posting or requesting Mp3s

Due to copyright issues posting or requesting mp3s on all forums (except if posted with sales ) is not allowed.

If you do wish to post/request a clip please do so via refosoul feature

Social source share

Posts amended/ removed containing MP3 files, another reminder of house rules:

Posting or requesting Mp3s

Due to copyright issues posting or requesting mp3s on all forums (except if posted with sales ) is not allowed.

If you do wish to post/request a clip please do so via refosoul feature

there you go after 5yrs my first ever soundclip sorry!!

now will try to upload to refo

russ

Social source share

• 11 months later...

hi, russ. as far as i know the del-la-northern release is quite rare. does anyone know of another copy in collectordom besides mine? then again, the dotty's release is rare too. can anyone confirm the existence of even one of those??

Hi Matt

Yes, I have a copy.

Here it is loaded up recently to Refosoul

I will scan the label later and post up the pic.

Like your copy it's not that great condition visually. However, it plays fine.

Nice record thumbsup.gif

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Great Tune Anyway!! :thumbsup:thumbsup.gif

Social source share

hi, russ. as far as i know the del-la-northern release is quite rare. does anyone know of another copy in collectordom besides mine? then again, the dotty's release is rare too. can anyone confirm the existence of even one of those??

Hi Matt

Here's a scan of my copy thumbsup.gif

Cheers

Richard

post-12286-0-89911200-1293400636_thumb.j

Edited by Premium Stuff
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I really want to listen to both sides. Any chance?

I have put both on Soundcloud for you mate

Cheers

Richard

Little Rodger Hatcher - Get A Hold Of Yourself (Del-La-Northern 103 A)

https://soundcloud.com/user1502162/little-rodger-hatcher-get-a

Little Rodger Hatcher - I Need You (Del-La-Northern 103 B)

https://soundcloud.com/user1502162/little-rodger-hatcher-i-need

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!