NiteOwl

• Replies 33
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Can't seem to hear the track? It says free download but then they want £50?????

I'd like to hear it though...

Just go through the checkout process.. and the track is e-mailed to you...... thumbsup.gif

(no cost- that £50 is for bulk postage discount)

Social source share

So some chancer issues a hipity hopity track with some northern samples:sleep3: (paid for I presume?whistling ) & then tugs at our heartstrings about how this music should be preserved etc etc please download my single, so I can hopefully make money on the back of it.

I think that the music has been pretty well preserved over the last 40 years mate thank you, why not try to do something original:sleep3:

As a matter of interest what tracks has the chancer taken?

Social source share

So some chancer issues a hipity hopity track with some northern samplessleep3.gif (paid for I presume?whistling.gif ) & then tugs at our heartstrings about how this music should be preserved etc etc please download my single, so I can hopefully make money on the back of it.

I think that the music has been pretty well preserved over the last 40 years mate thank you, why not try to do something originalsleep3.gif

As a matter of interest what tracks has the chancer taken?

Would upload the particular track in question (left Me) but Mike has asked not to post MP3's in this section..... and not sure it warrants a place on refosoul - hence why i posted the download link

Social source share

Would upload the particular track in question (left Me) but Mike has asked not to post MP3's in this section..... and not sure it warrants a place on refosoul - hence why i posted the download link

Ok no probs NiteOwlthumbsup.gif I'd possibly stick my foot through the screen anyway:hatsoff2:

Social source share

i just looked at that guy's picture and it made me want to poke my eyes out!!

just one more thing that makes me embarrassed to be an american! you all in england have no idea how little the vast majority of americans appreciate/understand/cherish the legacy of black american music from the 50s-70s. EVERYTHING today has to be centered around 'hip hop'. this is bad enough - except hip hop PEAKED as a musical genre in 1985 and was DEAD by 1990!!! everything since then is garbage (the yardstick - and the only hip hop lp worth owning IMO - is "follow the leader" by eric b and rakim).

you brits should feel proud that your society seems to (for whatever reason) have a way better understanding of music in general and soul/R&B/funk in particular and lucky that you have tons of killer events to go to on a regular basis!

jealous!

Social source share

i just looked at that guy's picture and it made me want to poke my eyes out!!

just one more thing that makes me embarrassed to be an american! you all in england have no idea how little the vast majority of americans appreciate/understand/cherish the legacy of black american music from the 50s-70s. EVERYTHING today has to be centered around 'hip hop'. this is bad enough - except hip hop PEAKED as a musical genre in 1985 and was DEAD by 1990!!! everything since then is garbage (the yardstick - and the only hip hop lp worth owning IMO - is "follow the leader" by eric b and rakim).

you brits should feel proud that your society seems to (for whatever reason) have a way better understanding of music in general and soul/R&B/funk in particular and lucky that you have tons of killer events to go to on a regular basis!

jealous!

Hi LJ.Which picture you talking about?.Why you embarrassed to be American.?.Hip hop died in 90?.Northern died in '69.biggrin.gif

btw Eric B and Rakim also left the legacy of "Paid in Full","I know you got soul","Microphone fiend".......................

Social source share

Hi LJ.Which picture you talking about?.Why you embarrassed to be American.?.Hip hop died in 90?.Northern died in '69.biggrin.gif

btw Eric B and Rakim also left the legacy of "Paid in Full","I know you got soul","Microphone fiend".......................

dude.... this pic! crazy. i am sick of being up to my neck in hip hop clowns in oversized clothes telling me i don't know about 'old school' black music because i don't listen to Jay z! i had a white kid that looked exactly like this idiot come up to me while i was DJ-ing an offered to clue me in to the magic of scratching (with the copy of 'goose pimples' by shirly j scott that was playing) because "that is where the money is, yo". seriously - if you do not live in certain neighborhoods in SF, NYC, LA, or Chicago you can walk 100 miles and not meet anyone who has heard of brenda holloway. it sucks!

ps - i agree that "paid in full" is pretty sweet (even that era of hip hop is lost on almost all americans - if you watch the movie "old school" with will farrell they have snoop dogg doing a concert and he covers a song from paid in full and i got blank stares from the peeps i was with when i explained that snoop dogg is too much of a vacuous ass to ever have written those rhymes), but "follow the leader" is the apex of rhyming.

post-13082-12630796758675_thumb.jpg

post-13082-12630796758675_thumb.jpg

Edited by ljblanken
Social source share

Hip-hop dead in 1990???? Ok it's been going downhill the last few years but I can name you quite a few artists that have made tons of good music after that.

This guy does look like a total muppet btw... does anyone know another way to listen to his tunes? This debate got me curious but I don't feel like ging through the registering process.

Social source share

Hip-hop dead in 1990???? Ok it's been going downhill the last few years but I can name you quite a few artists that have made tons of good music after that.

This guy does look like a total muppet btw... does anyone know another way to listen to his tunes? This debate got me curious but I don't feel like ging through the registering process.

perhaps i'm a bit jaded on hip hop. i remember seeing Schoolly D when i was in high school (with DJ Code Money!) on the 'smoke some kill' tour. and it just never got that good again! damn! now i wish i still had that lp!post-13082-12630858758652_thumb.jpg

Edited by ljblanken
Social source share

dif you watch the movie "old school" with will farrell they have snoop dogg doing a concert and he covers a song from paid in full and i got blank stares from the peeps i was with when i explained that snoop dogg is too much of a vacuous ass to ever have written those rhymes), but "follow the leader" is the apex of rhyming.

Sorry to go off course with the thread but that movie is funny as, especially where they throw the brick attached to the rope, attached to the... well if you've seen it you know, if you haven't you can guess!) off the building.

Back on thread the "I ain't never" track is shite! Pardon my english.

Some tracks give me a knot in my stomach and wind me up- that is one of them.:frusty2:

Social source share

best part might be flava flav having an epileptic seizure in the background.

Flava flav is a joke- I mean Flava of Love- what is that all about?!

Beastie Boys always went down well with me.

Social source share

agree. "public enemy" was basically chuck d. all the others were baggage (usually anti-semitic baggage like prof griff). 'cold lampin with flavor' was the only flava flav contribution i can remember: "go to the poconos, to my hideaway, with a pack of franks and big bag of frito-lays!" outstanding!

... and "license to ill" was like the soundtrack to my high school years!

Social source share

That's just not very good music, whatever you want to classify it as. I agree on 'Follow The Leader', it's my fave rap album of all time, but rap hasn't disappeared, someone like Common for example has made some great albums, and there's many more top artists since then. Like finding decent modern soul, look a little deeper than the mainstream for quality.

It's rap btw, hip hop is a lifestyle :thumbup: :thumbup:

Social source share

agree. "public enemy" was basically chuck d. all the others were baggage (usually anti-semitic baggage like prof griff). 'cold lampin with flavor' was the only flava flav contribution i can remember: "go to the poconos, to my hideaway, with a pack of franks and big bag of frito-lays!" outstanding!

... and "license to ill" was like the soundtrack to my high school years!

Not mentioned Pharcyde...you sure you American?biggrin.gif .

Social source share

Bit of an obvious one:

Thanks. The best hip hop album of the decade, no question. And it's up there with the cream.

Hip hop died in 1990? C'mon.

So Illmatic won't count whrn the history of hip hop is written? And that's just the easiest example.

I think you need to chill a bit and enjoy the music, whatever it is...

Social source share

And what are your thoughts on things like this? Mix of hip-hop and northern for a mixtape I'm working on. Before anyone starts shouting I'm not making these for commercial purposes or so (when's the last time you saw anyone buying a mixtape...)

DivShare File - mixtapepreviewI.mp3

Very poor sound quality because of conversions between tape and digital + some audio problems that are turning me mad!

Social source share

Only decent thing them white boys ever done

post-11678-12632095501116_thumb.jpg

And if I caught any of my kids listening to that sh*te or dressing up like that I'd disown the little sods, brought 'em up better than that........

..........Cnut can't even spell............

Edited by wolfie66
Social source share

Only decent thing them white boys ever done

post-11678-12632095501116_thumb.jpg

And if I caught any of my kids listening to that sh*te or dressing up like that I'd disown the little sods, brought 'em up better than that........

..........Cnut can't even spell............

If I remember rightly (and forgive me as I've not listened to these for a number of years) this album is mostly, if not all instrumental which is why although I like it, it's not my fav. Check your head and Paul's Boutique were my top choices.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Ollie Lailey

And what are your thoughts on things like this? Mix of hip-hop and northern for a mixtape I'm working on. Before anyone starts shouting I'm not making these for commercial purposes or so (when's the last time you saw anyone buying a mixtape...)

DivShare File - mixtapepreviewI.mp3

Very poor sound quality because of conversions between tape and digital + some audio problems that are turning me mad!

thats great, would like to hear more of that!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!