Whats Your Favourite Soul Concert Ever?

Edwin Starr,first time I saw him at Tiffanies Durdham Down, Bristol 1975, and Kings Hall Stoke when he sang acapella due to backing tape problems late 90's, and sadly the last time I saw him....Junior Walker 1977(8)? at Tiffanies Newport, when my faith in God was restored, having had to miss the Wigan performance due to "fund shortages", and coming across his pending performance in my "hometown" by pure quirk of fate (poster displayed in shop window)!Sam Dees,at the Canal Tavern Thorne late 80's,(awesome) and the Funk Brothers at the Manchester Apollo, a few years ago, all very special and memorable occasions that made the hair on the back of my neck stand up................. and made me feel both very humble and moreover grateful for being there!

Social source share

• Replies 82
  • Views 13.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Steve Jarrell

There were three, actually. The first was James Brown and the Flames in 1962 or 63 at an armory in Fredericksburg, Virginia, USA. I was standing in front of the stage. James played organ the entire first set. They took a break and came back and he sang. He had the Flames singing and a lady that they called "TV Mama".

Next was the Stax Show in Richmond, Virginia. It opened with Booker T & the MGS, then joined by three horn players know as the Mar-Keys. Then after the group performed their hits, they backed Rufus Thomas, Carla Thomas, Sam & Dave, Otis Redding and Wilson Pickett. That was about 1966 or 67.

About the same time, also in Richmond, I saw the Motown Show with the Motown Orch. and Jr. Walker & the Alstars, Mary Wells, The Marvelettes and the Four Tops. Once again, a great show. All of the shows back then were about $6.00 U.S. for a ticket. It was soul heaven!

Social source share

Did anyone on here go to see Bobby Bland at Colne Municipal Hall in the mid 90s?

He was shite, it was Irma Thomas, who was supporting, that TOTALLY STOLE THE SHOW.

She was awesome. Even did a cover of a modern Tina Turner track and it was fabulous.

Best soul concert I've been to. Absolutely blown away.

Social source share

In a 6 month period 1971/72, I saw Ray Charles, The Ike and Tina Revue, and Stevie Wonder at The Colston Hall, Bristol. (The Colston Hall named after a Bristol Merchant who made his money from the slave trade, a subject of much debate recently in the local paper)

Ray was relaxed as he performed all his well known hits.

Tina and the Ikettes were pure sex.

Stevie had just started to "experiment" and much of the crowd were not happy, shouting for him to play "some soul".

John

Social source share

I got spoiled by the first gig I ever went to - Sam & Dave @ Sheffield Fiesta in early 70's. Absolutely unbelievable performance when they both came out into the audience at both sides of the venue and just blew the place apart.

I thought all gigs were gonna be like that!

Seen most acts over the years but I've never seen a performance as good as that first one!

Ian D biggrin.gif

Double dynamite they were called Ian, and rightly so

Lenny :unsure:

Social source share

Guest phillybuster

Marvin Gaye-Royal Albert Hall 77?,80

O'Jays/Levert-Hammersmith Odeon 88

Dells-Trentham Gardens 99

Originals-The Ritz,Manchester, 02

Great shows all of them.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Ric-Tic review all dayer at the Ritz Manchester 1983 (i think that was the year), Lou Ragland, Al Kent ( know he was in line up, but can't recall if he played either ?), JJ Barnes, Edwin Starr, i think Pat Lewis was meant to be on, but don't think she played, i was only 18, and relatively new to the 'Scene' so it had a big effect on me, at the time ' The Way You've Been Acting Lately' was one of my favourite tunes.... Can't recall full dj line up, remember Richard Searling and certain Ian Levine amongst others..........I always remember for the strangest reason there was a lad near me who was the complete lookalike of a young 'Gordon Banks'...........My Mother always said i was funny lad.laugh.gif

Ps Ray Charles in Vegas about 1998

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

snapback.pngIan Dewhirst, on Yesterday, 10:05 PM, said:

I got spoiled by the first gig I ever went to - Sam & Dave @ Sheffield Fiesta in early 70's. Absolutely unbelievable performance when they both came out into the audience at both sides of the venue and just blew the place apart.

Seen most acts over the years but I've never seen a performance as good as that first one!

Ian D :D >>>

I was there at that one - It was early '73 - and as Ian says they were great!

My favs:

Hit the Road Stax tour - Manchester '67 with the aforementioned Sam and Dave, Otis etc

Stevie Wonder - Sheffield Mojo '67

Four Tops - Sheffield City Hall (1st tour) '67

Inez Foxx - Sheffield Romeo and Juliets '72 (16 people in the audience!)

Joe Tex - Prouts Alambra New Orleans '80

Bobby Womack -Manchester Apollo '84

Irma Thomas - Colne '92 (somebody mentioned this previously - it was a truly consumate performance - seen her many times before and after at various places in the US (including her club), Holland, Italy etc and she has never topped the Colne performance. Bit unfair to say Bobby Bland was "shite"though - he wasn't in the best of health at the time)

Spaniels - Wembley Rock and Rock Fest London'91

Jerry Williams - Lowton '98

Dells (of course) - Trentham Gardens Stoke '99

Rance Allan - Memphis 2003

Sorry just realised that's 11 - Some many others I'd like to mention, Marvin in Manchester, Rosco Robinson in Utrecht etc etc including the Betty Lavette show at King Georges Hall mentioned above in '92 and she still had Rudy Robinson with her -best performance I've seen of her too!

John Marriott

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

I'm going for Jr Walker & the All Stars at Barbarellas in Birmingham - mid 70's.

Stands out because I went with a very open mind - thinking "it is impossible that this guy can do on stage what he has done on disc".

But he did - and he was absolutely brilliant!!

:thumbup:

MB

Social source share

Guest Brett F

snapback.pngIan Dewhirst, on Yesterday, 10:05 PM, said:

Ian D :D >>>

I was there at that one - It was early '73 - and as Ian says they were great!

My favs:

Hit the Road Stax tour - Manchester '67 with the aforementioned Sam and Dave, Otis etc

Stevie Wonder - Sheffield Mojo '67

Four Tops - Sheffield City Hall (1st tour) '67

Inez Foxx - Sheffield Romeo and Juliets '72 (16 people in the audience!)

Joe Tex - Prouts Alambra New Orleans '80

Bobby Womack -Manchester Apollo '84

Irma Thomas - Colne '92 (somebody mentioned this previously - it was a truly consumate performance - seen her many times before and after at various places in the US (including her club), Holland, Italy etc and she has never topped the Colne performance. Bit unfair to say Bobby Bland was "shite"though - he wasn't in the best of health at the time)

Spaniels - Wembley Rock and Rock Fest London'91

Jerry Williams - Lowton '98

Dells (of course) - Trentham Gardens Stoke '99

Rance Allan - Memphis 2003

Sorry just realised that's 11 - Some many others I'd like to mention, Marvin in Manchester, Rosco Robinson in Utrecht etc etc including the Betty Lavette show at King Georges Hall mentioned above in '92 and she still had Rudy Robinson with her -best performance I've seen of her too!

John Marriott

Hi John, i have old workmates who went regular to the Mojo, John Needham, his wife Marina was hat check girl etc, and they said Stevie Wonder in 67 was fanatstic, Jesus i was 3, you are lucky people to have been be born at the right time.

Brett

Social source share

Hi John, i have old workmates who went regular to the Mojo, John Needham, his wife Marina was hat check girl etc, and they said Stevie Wonder in 67 was fanatstic, Jesus i was 3, you are lucky people to have been be born at the right time.

Brett

WE WERE THERE AS WELL ABSOLUTELY BRILL thumbup.gif JOE

Social source share

Did anyone on here go to see Bobby Bland at Colne Municipal Hall in the mid 90s?

He was shite, it was Irma Thomas, who was supporting, that TOTALLY STOLE THE SHOW.

She was awesome. Even did a cover of a modern Tina Turner track and it was fabulous.

Best soul concert I've been to. Absolutely blown away.

Bobby wasn't that good! In his shell suit and with his trademark vocal trick disintigrating into sounding like my grandad hawking up phlegm. I hope he was just having a bad night. Irma was awesome. There was somone else on too but I just can't remember who it was.

Social source share

Brett

That's absolutely amazing Brett. Not seen or heard of John and Marina since the mid '70's when we moved to Manchester (John had since left the soul scene and was actually into Quo at the time). My wife Mo was in fact the other cloakroom girl with Marina, her then best mate for years and years. They did it so they could get in the nighters free. They were supposed to get paid as well but Mo said Geoff Stringfellow (Petes brother and co-owner) would conveniently often disappear when this was supposed to happen.

Yes it was a magical time which really did significantly change when the Mojo shut - what memories tho' - Ike and Tina, Lou Johnson, Clyde McPhatter, Edwin (when he adsolutely very first came over), Inez and Charlie Foxx, Soul Sisters, Garnet Mimms etc

If you fancy PM me we could talk further on John and Marina

John Marriott

Social source share

Bobby wasn't that good! In his shell suit and with his trademark vocal trick disintigrating into sounding like my grandad hawking up phlegm. I hope he was just having a bad night. Irma was awesome. There was somone else on too but I just can't remember who it was.

It was Earl King with Irma Thomas band - he was tremendous

John Marriott

Social source share

It was Earl King with Irma Thomas band - he was tremendous

John Marriott

It was and he was. Thank you John; my brain cells are clearly not what they were.

Off the top of my head - Other concerts worth more than a mention.

Eddie Floyd at the International

Albert King at the International

Curtis Mayfield -"- and at the Hacienda

Bobby Womack at the Apollo

Bobby Womack at the International 2 (Carousel)

Dr John at the band on the wall

Rockin' Dopsie at Rafters

Gil Scott Heron at the International 2

The Drifters at the Golden Garter

Temptations somewhere in Warrington?

Edwin Starr at the Willows (multiple times)

Al Green at the Apollo

Anita Baker at the Apollo

Luther at G-Mex

Marvin at the Liverpool Empire

Smokey at Southport (Floral Pavillion?)

Stevie Wonder at the NEC (1980-81-ish)

Four Tops at the Odeon (72 ish)

Four Tops at the Apollo (83/84?)

The Funk Brothers at the Apollo & the Bridgewater Hall

Mavis Staples the Bridgewater Hall

The Winans at the Apollo

and more recently

James Hunter at the Academy

Eli "Paperboy" Reed at the Academy

Neither of which are really Soul Source material but great soulful nights out:thumbup:

Edited by Soulfinger
Social source share

Ian D :D

Similar experience Ian, Sam and Dave, Arthur Conley, Clarence Carter, Joe Tex, Manchester 1970 I think.

Sam and Dave and their band blew me away. Band came on to the stage dragging their instruments behind them looking like they didn't have a clue. Massive intro followed by the best live vocals I've ever heard. Can still remember that feelin when you're almost laughing and crying at the same time, the emotion was so high! Went to the afternoon and evening performances

Heady days indeed!

Cheers, Ronnie

Social source share

Just had to let you all know how good tonight was in Sydney, It was a free concert in the middle of Sydney and Al Green was the headline act!!

Over 80 thousand people moving to all his classics and a few covers. He nearly pulled out due to Willie Mitchells death.

This guy still has it!!! sharp falsetos a great presence and he had each of the 80 k audience in the palm of his hand!! It was quite an emotional evening.

love to hear anybody elses experiences at seeing great soul gods live!

pete M

Tks Pete, feelling worse now ! Glad you enjoyed it Pete - I've got a ticket for the Perth gig this Sunday - and got told yesterday that I've got to be in UK this Friday and all next week, so flying out in the morning....8-(

Anyway, best concerts for me would be:

* Bobby Womack in Manchester 3 (4?) years ago,

* Earth Wind & Fire - Bingley Hall, Stafford '98/99ish ?

* Phillip Mitchell was brill at Prestatyn a couiple of years ago,

of course when we were daft young lads the live gigs were all FANTASTIC !! - Edwin Starr many times, Jnr Walker many times, Gloria Jones a couple of times, The Moments at the Ritz, Tavares at Cleethorpes, .....

cheers,

Denny

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Brett

That's absolutely amazing Brett. Not seen or heard of John and Marina since the mid '70's when we moved to Manchester (John had since left the soul scene and was actually into Quo at the time). My wife Mo was in fact the other cloakroom girl with Marina, her then best mate for years and years. They did it so they could get in the nighters free. They were supposed to get paid as well but Mo said Geoff Stringfellow (Petes brother and co-owner) would conveniently often disappear when this was supposed to happen.

Yes it was a magical time which really did significantly change when the Mojo shut - what memories tho' - Ike and Tina, Lou Johnson, Clyde McPhatter, Edwin (when he adsolutely very first came over), Inez and Charlie Foxx, Soul Sisters, Garnet Mimms etc

If you fancy PM me we could talk further on John and Marina

John Marriott

Hi John, yeah saw him other month at a Sheffield soul night, also went to his 60th birthday, and he looks 40 amazing fella'.

Social source share

I saw him and Irma Thomas around this time, possibly earlier, at the Astoria (I think it was called) at the top end of Charring Cross Road in London. He was very poor then, much as he was at the Malaco concert in Hammersmith a few years earlier. I had a guest pass to that one and spent couple of happy hours with all the acts at the press cocktail party. I and a friend spent a good hour just talking to Bland's guitarist, Wayne Bennett.

Top concerts:

• Curtis Mayfield - London, at a long closed venue in Victoria, possibly also called the Astoria?
  • T & LaTouche - fantastic Midlands reggae band that I saw at the underwhelming Shrewsbury Music Festival about half a dozen years ago.
  • King Pleasure & The Biscuit Boys - 100 Club in the mid 80s.
  • The Neville Brothers - Shepherd's Bush Empire in early 90s. Truly great performers!

Social source share

Guest dicklincoln72

Best performance Al Green Aquarius Club Lincoln December 1971. Most polished Temptations Fiesta Club Sheffield April 1972. Most exciting Herbie Goins & The Night Timers Van Dyke Plymouth around 1967. I once worked in a club where they turned down the Supremes because they wanted £450, so they booked the Walker Brothers for £300.

Social source share

Gil Scot Heron in Leeds 1983 just so f---king cool!

James Brown - Hammersmith Appolo 87 (ish)

J J BARNES - Seattle 2007 (i think) he sang happy birthday to me on stage, His voice blew eveyone away and i was, for once, lost for words.

Its those hideaway/twisted wheel boys who saw loads of brilliant artists...

Social source share

amongst a lot of others - stevie wonder at wolverhampton gaumont 1968 - temptations at wolvo civic 1989 and blackpool winter gardens in 1974 - edwin starr about a thousand times everywhere!! but does anyone remember seeing curtis mayfield at the old hill plaza in the late 70s??? al green was also there about the same time and also a few other big names? oscar michael was the resident dj

Social source share

Guest kevnewry

THE THREE DEGREES JOLLIES STOKE [sTILL IN LOVE WITH SHEILA FERGUSON]

ANITA BAKER............. WEMBLEY.

EDWIN STARR............ WIGAN :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

. . . but does anyone remember seeing curtis mayfield at the old hill plaza in the late 70s??? . . .

Didn't see him myself but I remember Jenny Wilkes talking about it on one of her Radio WM programmes at least 20+ years ago.

I can even remember that she played the Impressions "East of Java" as a sort of tribute.

MB

Social source share

amongst a lot of others - stevie wonder at wolverhampton gaumont 1968 - temptations at wolvo civic 1989 and blackpool winter gardens in 1974 - edwin starr about a thousand times everywhere!! but does anyone remember seeing curtis mayfield at the old hill plaza in the late 70s??? al green was also there about the same time and also a few other big names? oscar michael was the resident dj

No, but saw him at Southampton Top Rank sometime back then and he was fantastic, held the audience in the palm of his hand.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

The Originals, Ritz Manchester

Stevie Wonder, Gothenburg 1988 (the Kinks on same bill!)

Solomon Burke, Gothenburg

Percy Sledge, Gothenburg

Mavis Staples, Gothenburg

Sharon Jones, Gothenburg

Andre´Williams, Gothenburg

Trace, Soulastatic, Gothenburg

Eli Paperboy Reed, Gothenburg

Four Tops/Temptations march 6th 2010, Gothenburg

(some reggae : Lee Perry Stockholm, Skatalites New York, Linton Kwesi Johnson New York)

Social source share

• 9 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!