Banbury Soul Club Jan 9Th Gig

Tezz

Just wanted to say thank you for an excellent gig last nite Charlie. We enjoyed the sounds all nite. Although not dancing to all. Also hearing some sounds not heard before, you know what it is like, do I like it or not ha ha.

Again thanks and lookng forward to playing some time this year at Banbury

Tezz

• Replies 17
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Me and martyn made our way through all the snow and ice and had a great time, in particular the 9-10 spot some nice different stuff played sorry forgot the name of the DJ, Charlie did ok and kept them in their seatslaugh.gif only joking mate and then the main attraction Adey Pountain what a great set ( told ypu the Traditions wouldnt worktongue.gif )

will be back thumbup.gif

Thanks to Eddie, Tabs,Charlie and co.......a last minute option of touring Oxfordshire in the snow & Ice etc.

Found it after about 20 minutes slipping sliding and falling on my arse yet again much to the delight of the local youths.....hope that snowball hurt young man..right in the chops..

Man of the match has to be Ady Pountain,but in saying that the other DJs i did hear were as good at trying to keep the floor busy....well done to all..

Great to see this event supported by the likes of Ted Massey,Rob Moss& Adam.

Nice club layout ,good bar,seating for those who wanted it.......and records for sale(well out of my price range Adam..sorry...£700.00 ...i could buy 5 cars for thatwhistling )

Tabs the next Brandy is on me mate.

I enjoyed.......i shall return in warmer times mind you

Toby

Just wanted to say thank you for an excellent gig last nite Charlie. We enjoyed the sounds all nite. Although not dancing to all. Also hearing some sounds not heard before, you know what it is like, do I like it or not ha ha.

Again thanks and lookng forward to playing some time this year at Banbury

Tezz

Have to agrre with Tezz, a great night considering the apalling conditions outside. Musically a great night, I personally like it when you hear something you haven't heard before or in a long time, keeps it interesting, However oldies were getting the best dancefloor reaction, so a good mixed set of stuff from all the lads djing on the night.

my favourite track of the night would have to be The Montclairs - Hey You closely followed by Guitar Ray, both played by Ady Pountain.

Best part is meeting up with folks from Oxford, Banbury etc great to see Keith Hammond, Terry, Ian, Eddie, Tom, Tabs, Turvy, Mils, Charlie, Craig Smiley, Tezz & Mrs, Mazz, Del, Richie & Paul

hope to catch up with some of you on the 23rd at Soulfusion

best regards

Neil

Me and martyn made our way through all the snow and ice and had a great time, in particular the 9-10 spot some nice different stuff played sorry forgot the name of the DJ, Charlie did ok and kept them in their seatslaugh.gif only joking mate and then the main attraction Adey Pountain what a great set ( told ypu the Traditions wouldnt worktongue.gif )

will be back thumbup.gif

Considering the conditions weather wise I think we had a fantastic turn out between 75/85 maybe a few more that came in later, but what a great night, special thanks to 'The Banbury Scooter Club' 'Oxford Soul Club' and 'Soulfusion' for turning up, and of course Ady Poultain , in fact thank you to everyone, and thanks to Ted for mentioning my 9-10 spot, its really appreciated,

My play list for last night, in no particular order

Reparata & the Delrons - It's waiting there for you - Mala

The Spinners - (She's gonna love me) at sundown - V.I.P

Spyder Turner - I can't make it anymore - M.G.M

The Temptations - Girl (why you wanna make me blue) - Gordy

Maxine Brown - One in a million - Wand

Danny White - Keep my woman home - Atlas

Deon Jackson - Love makes the world go round - Carla

Edwin Starr - My weakness is you - Tamla Motown

Theresa Lindsey - Gotta find a way - Correc-tone

Dee Dee Sharp - There ain't nothin' I wouldn't do for you - Cameo

Lyn Roman - Unchained - Dot

Betty Everett - Unlucky girl - Uni

Barbara Lynn - Take your love and run - Atlantic

Joy Lovejoy - In Orbit - Chess

Mr Floods Party - Compared to what - Bulldog

Deon Jackson - You said you loved me - Carla

Mary Wells - Use your head - stateside

Lou Johnson - Unsatisfied - Bigtop

The Blossoms - That's when the tears start - Reprise

Bo-Bells - Girl, don't make me wait (too long) - Arista

Jackie Lee - Oh my darling - Mirwood

Mill Evans - I've got to have your love - Constellation

Sharpees - Tired of being lonely - One-derful

Eddie Spencer - If this is love - Power Exchange

And a special play for Willie Mitchell - The Champion

I sure the other DJs will put their play list up

All the best, keep rocking

Steve

Edited by steve

really wanted to make it up last night but in the end we bottled it and decided to stay down the frozen south cos we was too unsure on what the weather was gonna do and yeah i know im a wimp rolleyes.gif hope you all had a good time and hopefully make it to the next one thumbsup.gif

Bearsy & Marie

Many thanks to everyone who turned up for our Soul night last night , despite the appalling weather conditions .We had quite a few new faces in , including Martyn Bradley who was with Ted Massey , Toby , Rob Moss who arrived with Adam from Coventry ,Derek Palmer who came with Kevin from Northants , and of course Ady Pountain our special guest , who was ferried by Neil Self and supported by Hippo from Glos .Ady played a fantastic set including the alt . mix of " Crazy Baby " plus the brilliant Sir Joe record on King - thanks Ady superb stuff !! I followed Ady between 12 - 1am , this is my playlist :

DORE STRINGS - GONE WITH THE WIND [ KENT ]

CHALFONTES - HE LOVES ME [ MERCURY ]

WILLIE KENDRICK - GIVE ME LOTS OF LOVIN [ RCA ]

BOBBY WILLIAMS - I'VE ONLY GOT MYSELF TO BLAME [ SURESHOT ]

SCOTTY WILLIAMS - FEAR [ MONA LEE ]

LYDIA MARCELLE - IT'S NOT LIKE YOU [ MANHATTAN ]

NEW HOLIDAYS - MY BABY AIN'T NO PLAYTHING [ WESTBOUND ]

GLORIA SHANNON - TEARS ARE GIFTS FROM HEAVEN [ REAL SIDE ]

JACKIE ROSS - TRUST IN ME [ NORTHERN SOUL STORIES ]

ED CROOK - YOU'LL SEE [ TRI - SOUND ]

BRENDA HOLLOWAY - CRYING TIME [ UNISSUED MOTOWN ]

FANTASTICS - ME AND YOU [ SS7 ]

PATTI DREW - STOP AND LISTEN [ CAPITOL ]

JACK MONTGOMERY - MY DEAR BELOVED [ SCEPTER ]

VONDA MARIE - OPEN ARMS CLOSED HEART [ PHIL LA OF SOUL ]

MILTON WRIGHT - LIKE A ROLLING STONE [ SATIRON ]

VOLUMES - THAT SAME OLD FEELING [ IMPACT ]

LOU RAGLAND - I TRAVEL ALONE [ AMY ]

LITTLE ANN - WHAT SHOULD I DO [ KENT ]

FUNK BROTHERS - THIS OLD HEART OF MINE [ ACETATE ]

RUBY ANDREWS - JUST LOVING YOU [ ZODIAC ]

EDWIN STARR - I HAVE FAITH IN YOU [ POLYDOR ]

YUM YUMS - GONNA BE A BIG THING [ ABC ]

BOBBY SHEEN - SWEET SWEET LOVE [ CAPITOL ]

KELL OSBOURNE - YOU CAN'T OUTSMART A WOMAN [ LOMA ]

DONALD WILSON - I'VE GOTTA GET MYSELF TOGETHER [ COLUMBIA ]

and ...EDWIN STARR - SOS [POLYDOR ] with the lights on at the end .....

leroyale 2.jpg

leroyale 3.jpg

leroyale 1.php

leroyale 2.jpg

leroyale 3.jpg

Thanks to Charlie, Eddie and all the Banbury lads for a great night.

Considering how bad the weather was it was a good turnout, arrived later than I would have liked (which is pretty much the norm for me!) and stayed later than I had planned!

Nice to catch up with the usual culprits and also with several I've not seen for some time. Some good music from all the DJs I heard play, nice mix of classic soul and some nice underplayed stuff.

See you all at the next one, if not before :thumbup:

Adam.

Nice club layout ,good bar,seating for those who wanted it.......and records for sale(well out of my price range Adam..sorry...£700.00 ...i could buy 5 cars for thatwhistling.gif )

Toby

Hi Toby, where you buying your cars from mate :(. £700 was the most expensive one though, and obviously in, my opinion, worth every penny :lol: but as I'm a fair guy I'll swap it for 5 cars that are of equal or better condition :lol:. Was good to see you, hopefully see you there again soon good.gif

Edited by Guest
Guest ruffsounds

Sorry i missed Banbury boys, but i have not been out the house this year yet due to illness :0( and the weather was not exactly good but i'm pleased that those who made it had a good night, i think this is only the 5th Banbury do i have missed from the start but hopefully will get to lots more.

Well done Eddie,Charlie,Tom,Steve and the rest on the first year at the Le-Royale and see you all soon.

cheers Ralph

Sorry i missed Banbury boys, but i have not been out the house this year yet due to illness :0( and the weather was not exactly good but i'm pleased that those who made it had a good night, i think this is only the 5th Banbury do i have missed from the start but hopefully will get to lots more.

Well done Eddie,Charlie,Tom,Steve and the rest on the first year at the Le-Royale and see you all soon.

cheers Ralph

Thanks Ralph, Hope your feeling better soon, all the best

Steve

Guest SoulRenaissance

A good mix of tunes, with plenty of classics and some underplayed stuff. Also a number of personal favs like Dee Dee Sharpe and Barbara Lynn, amongst others. Well done. A good venue, with plenty of dancefloor and three bar staff in attendance. Numbers i'm told were about half of what they usually get here. Good to catch up with a few folks also.

Sorry we missed your spot Eddie, but the playlist looks pretty good. Next time.

All in all, a good night. But 'twas a little cold for me, the old circulation playing me up.

Asked Tabs if he wanted a drink, (seemed as if everyone in the place was buying him on the night)? He said "I'll have a double"! Nearly floored me, thought he was going to have half a lager. So then had to scratch around to see if i had enough on me.

Thanks to Ted for driving us down.

Martyn

Guest Andy Kempster

had a great night, heard a lot of stuff later on that was new to me which is always a bonus

thank god for the turbo heater by the door, i was flippin freezin by the time i got in there

nice to meet topsey, tried to listen to your internet radio show yesterday and it wasnt working properly (maybe next week eh!)

great venue which deserved mre in but i'm guessing thats down to the weather

i for one will be looking forward to my return visit

all the best

andy

my favourite track of the night would have to be The Montclairs - Hey You closely followed by Guitar Ray, both played by Ady Pountain.

Best part is meeting up with folks from Oxford, Banbury etc great to see Keith Hammond, Terry, Ian, Eddie, Tom, Tabs, Turvy, Mils, Charlie, Craig Smiley, Tezz & Mrs, Mazz, Del, Richie & Paul

best regards

Neil

Thank you to everyone who braved the cold, snow and ice to be at our Jan do. With our supa-dupa jet engined heater and some good choooons; nobody got cold

(except for the smokers - who took one long drag and quickly returned to the warm !)

I kicked off with up-tempo for the first hour to get everyone in a dancing mood. Big $teve followed with his dancers that soon had the dancefloor rocking.

Charlie followed with some nice newies, lesser knowns and a few requests (very considerate Chaz is to requests).

Ady kicked off with a blinder................ New Yorkers - Don't want to be your fool (tac-ful). Quality continued to the end. All class 45's - most out of my league BUT great to see on the decks. Danced loads to his plays.

Last up was Birthday Boy Ed, a very surprising set from him for last spot. Lots of great under-played oldies, some great newies / reactivated 45's. Loved it. Even played his birthday present 45 - Donald Wilson (nice one). Lights came on - so Ed played SOS - Edwin Starr [with the bouncers hovering to close him down]. We ALL had a great last bop.

Looking forward to seeing you all in March.

Cheers................... Tom.

I agree with all the previous comments.

Thanks to all who braved the weather.:thumbup:

Great that so many did make it.

More people present than I thought there would be to be honest.

And all treated to a good mix of ATB tunes.

Certainly everyone seemed to be enjoying it and the dance floor had action all night.

And in no particular order - Toby have a great birthday and I'll catch up with you and Andy at Groovesville.

Adam - I'll see you this Friday.

Martyn - At one point I was in three rounds which is why it appeared everyone was buying me drinks.

I can't help being popular.:wicked:whistling

Anyway I honestly didn't know you bought me a double but I'll make sure I get you a quart this Saturday.

Best to all.

Tabs

Guest 2648 W Grand Boulevard

Unfortunately other last minute commitments meant I couldnt make it to Banbury. I'll try and get over for the next one as I missed a good 'un by the comments so far :-(((

Cheers,

Dave

First of all, got to say a 'big' thank you to everybody who made it to Banbury Saturday night. Absolutely, freezing night to turn out for a Soul night. Very much appreciated - thank you. I said to the boys, if we get 20 in tonight we'll be lucky. Well, we were more than lucky. A good 80. Thanks Neil, for getting Ady our guest dj down. Ady followed me on the decks. Played a great set of tunes, as you would expect. Tom's turn on the 8.00 o'clock spot. Started the night off with a bang with some great uptempo tunes (put your play list up mate). Big Steve played the 9.00 - 10.00 spot. Pulled a lot of stuff out, I didn't know he had, we all really enjoyed his spot. I was on next. Here's my play list in no particular order:-

Hermin Griffin & The Boys in the Band - Are You For Me Or Against Me - Magic Touch

Dee Dee Sharp - What Kind Of Lady - Action

Wales Wallace - Somebody I Know - BRC

Pat Lewis - Look What I Almost Missed - Solid Hit

Willy High Tower - Because I Love You - Capital

Johnny Sayles - I Can't Get Enough - St Lawrence

Ray Charles - Your Just About To Loose Your Clown - HMV

Billy Butler - The Right Track - Soul City (request)

Little Milton - I Don't Know What I Want - Checker

Barbara Cooper - What's One More Tear - RCA

Martha Reeves - No One There - Tamla Motown (request)

Time Box - Beggin' - Deram (request)

Metro's - Since I Found My Baby - RCA (request)

Willie Mitchell - That Driving Beat - Pye

Lou Courtney - If The Shoe Fits - Popside

Irene & The Scotts - I'm Stuck On My Baby - Smash

Gwen Owens - I Lost A Good Thing - Velgo

Scott Bros Orchestra - They All Came Back - Toddlin' Town

Kent Meade - The Bad One - Magic Carpet

Diana Ross, The Supremes & Temptations - Uptight - Tamla Motown

Little Rena Scott - I Just Can't Forget That Boy - Grand Junction

Magic Night - If You And I Had Never Met (Vocal) - Pye

The Bay Brothers - What Does It Take (To Win Your Love) - Millennium

Eddie finished the night off 12.00 - 1.00 keeping the dancers on the floor till the end with a well put together set of tunes. Nice to see a lot of our friends come down and support us. Ted, Martin, Toby, Andy, Neil, Rob, Adam, Oxford boys - Maz, Del, Steve and Richie, Warwick - Rav and Mick. Northampton - Kev. I see there were a few new faces there, didn't catch all your names, sorry for that. Hope you enjoyed the night. As I said before a treacherous night for driving, hope everybody got home safe. Hope to see you all back at Banbury on 6th March.

Keep safe, keep dancing.

Charlie Mc

First of all, got to say a 'big' thank you to everybody who made it to Banbury Saturday night. Absolutely, freezing night to turn out for a Soul night. Very much appreciated - thank you. I said to the boys, if we get 20 in tonight we'll be lucky. Well, we were more than lucky. A good 80. Thanks Neil, for getting Ady our guest dj down. Ady followed me on the decks. Played a great set of tunes, as you would expect. Tom's turn on the 8.00 o'clock spot. Started the night off with a bang with some great uptempo tunes (put your play list up mate). Big Steve played the 9.00 - 10.00 spot. Pulled a lot of stuff out, I didn't know he had, we all really enjoyed his spot. I was on next. Here's my play list in no particular order:-

Hermin Griffin & The Boys in the Band - Are You For Me Or Against Me - Magic Touch

Dee Dee Sharp - What Kind Of Lady - Action

Wales Wallace - Somebody I Know - BRC

Pat Lewis - Look What I Almost Missed - Solid Hit

Willy High Tower - Because I Love You - Capital

Johnny Sayles - I Can't Get Enough - St Lawrence

Ray Charles - Your Just About To Loose Your Clown - HMV

Billy Butler - The Right Track - Soul City (request)

Little Milton - I Don't Know What I Want - Checker

Barbara Cooper - What's One More Tear - RCA

Martha Reeves - No One There - Tamla Motown (request)

Time Box - Beggin' - Deram (request)

Metro's - Since I Found My Baby - RCA (request)

Willie Mitchell - That Driving Beat - Pye

Lou Courtney - If The Shoe Fits - Popside

Irene & The Scotts - I'm Stuck On My Baby - Smash

Gwen Owens - I Lost A Good Thing - Velgo

Scott Bros Orchestra - They All Came Back - Toddlin' Town

Kent Meade - The Bad One - Magic Carpet

Diana Ross, The Supremes & Temptations - Uptight - Tamla Motown

Little Rena Scott - I Just Can't Forget That Boy - Grand Junction

Magic Night - If You And I Had Never Met (Vocal) - Pye

The Bay Brothers - What Does It Take (To Win Your Love) - Millennium

Eddie finished the night off 12.00 - 1.00 keeping the dancers on the floor till the end with a well put together set of tunes. Nice to see a lot of our friends come down and support us. Ted, Martin, Toby, Andy, Neil, Rob, Adam, Oxford boys - Maz, Del, Steve and Richie, Warwick - Rav and Mick. Northampton - Kev. I see there were a few new faces there, didn't catch all your names, sorry for that. Hope you enjoyed the night. As I said before a treacherous night for driving, hope everybody got home safe. Hope to see you all back at Banbury on 6th March.

Keep safe, keep dancing.

Charlie Mc

Congratulations Banbury soul club for going ahead with Saturday night,you could have quite easily called it off,very surprised at the turn out because of the terrible weather.

It was good to meet up with Neil and Jerry from Soulfusion again,(see you again in a couple of weeks).

To everybody that turned up thanks for supporting the Banbury lads they deserve it,knowing how passionate they are about the music.

It was good to to hear quite a lot of under played stuff (refreshing)well done to all the DJ's.

So well done BSC

MAZ

OXFORD SOUL CLUB