100 Club Last Night

Guest Mrs Simsy

Guest Mrs Simsy

My first 100 club in a while & boy did i enjoy it.:)

It was a very last minute decision to go, so we trundled down the clear M11 & into East Laaanden. Hardly any traffic which was nice. Roads nice & clear although it was bloody cold!:yes:

Last night for me felt like a really exclusive & underground club. Numbers inevitably down due to Siberia and the UK seemingly merging!ph34r.gif:lol: Still plenty of friendly faces, no eejits on the dancefloor spilling drinks and a buzzy atmosphere.

Enjoyed the music from all of the DJs but Mick Smith was the main man for me last night!:thumbup:

Great to catch up with people & lose some Christmas lard shaking my thang!:thumbup:

Some pictures in the gallery for those that want a nose.:D

• Replies 14
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Great to be back down the 100 Club and good to see so many pals braving the colds.

Marco, Mick & the Boys kept the floor busy all night. Special thanks to Ady for the Gerri Grainger dedication and spin of the night by a damn sight was Butch playing Lady in green !!! - quality quality quality .... :thumbup:

post-2216-12631337377744_thumb.jpg

I was in two minds on whether to go out to the 100 Club last night. The weather forecast was unclear about the possibility of snow in London and knowing the chaos it can cause to public transport I was a bit concerned about being stranded in the centre of town. On the other hand I was suffering withdrawal symptoms, needed a good blast of soul in a club, not quite the same playing your music at home. In the event there were no problems, with the exception of walking to the bus stop on the journey up there due to the slippery pavements. There was a lot less traffic, less people on the underground and in Oxford Street.

It was quieter in there last night, loads of the regulars missing, and fewer non-soul people. I can't say I missed the latter as they can be a pest on the dance floor as Kylee has said.

If my memory serves me well the running order for the DJs last night was: Mick Smith, Ady, Frank, Butch, Marco, Mick Smith, Ady, Frank, Butch, Marco, Mick and Ady finished.

As I walked in Mick was playing Why Am I Crying by Shirley Wahls and the music continued to the same high standard. A good mix of better known and lesser known tracks (at least to me) was played by all of the DJs with Butch playing classics like Joseph Webster, Willie Tee's You Gotta Pay Some Dues, Salt And Pepper's Man Of My Word and many others that I didn't know. Great to hear the Four Dynamics' Things That A Lady Ain't Supposed To Do, felt I was really into it on the dance floor when he played that, though others may disagree, lol. Also Lady In Green, what a record! One he played that I particularly liked was called something like That's The Way The Story Goes, sang by a female singer. Can anyone help out with this one, who is it? Of course it'll be one of those either incredibly rare or expensive ones, or both. Very nice though.

It would be nice if the DJs could post their playlists, always interesting to read.

The numbers cleared a bit after 2.30, but there was room on the dance floor most of the evening. A guy came and swept something up at one point, I assume it was talc.

Ady finished the night with some uptempo tunes, officially ending with Dean Parrish's I'm On My Way, though he then played That's What Mama Said by Walter Jackson (the second record by him played during the night incidentally).

Time to say farewell and out into the cold of a London morning. Then it was a brisk walk to King's Cross railway station, and amazingly there was a train running to my local station at 6.52. I was indoors at 7.30. Walking in the road was better than the pavement, handy there was little traffic.

Nice to see friends down there, hope I didn't bore you too much. And a special thanks to Ady, the DJs and all the staff at the 100 Club, another great night, the first of 2010, here's to many more of them.

My first 100 club in a while & boy did i enjoy it.:smile:

It was a very last minute decision to go, so we trundled down the clear M11 & into East Laaanden. Hardly any traffic which was nice. Roads nice & clear although it was bloody cold!:yes:

Last night for me felt like a really exclusive & underground club. Numbers inevitably down due to Siberia and the UK seemingly merging!:ph34r::laugh: Still plenty of friendly faces, no eejits on the dancefloor spilling drinks and a buzzy atmosphere.

Enjoyed the music from all of the DJs but Mick Smith was the main man for me last night!thumbsup.gif

Great to catch up with people & lose some Christmas lard shaking my thang!:thumbup:

Some pictures in the gallery for those that want a nose.:D

Particularly enjoyed the one of the young lady picking her knickers out of her arse :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Guest Mrs Simsy

I had to check twice then. That's the first time i'd noticed that picture!:thumbup: That poor girl. It was an unintentional picture taken & erm...posted up!:thumbsup:

I knew it would be worth doing! Saturday night was all about being there and the indomitable spirit of Northern Soul as well as listening and dancing to our great music.

I can totally understand why people couldn't make it but I also knew a lot of people wouldn't want it cancelled. The weather wasn't bad at all, barely freezing and the Streets Of London were almost clear. Grandad Mick had done a record fair in Wolverhampton in the day and drove down easily for the nighter putting in his usual eight hour stint and three great sets. Those Old School Northerners are made of sterner stuff. Likewise Butch didn't even bother to ring up to see if we were snowed in; just got in the car and turned up; there again he has the incentive of the lovely Naoko being in London to spur him on. East Anglia's finest Frank "Britvic" Webster similarly laughed in adversity and did a couple of really excellent sets, while Santucci sauntered dahn from the Angel and socked it to us. Door-dolly Sharon not only abandoned her poorly husband but knackered her shoulder in the process and spent the night applying heat pads to all sorts of areas, including Tricksters leg.

It was great to see the likes of the irrepressible Trickster and his coterie of Eastern beauties, Michael and Silke, a great Scots dancer now resident in London, Adam T, Mark Wiganer1, Bishops Stortford massive, living history and London treasure Geoff, Matt & Faye, Brett and Pa and those groovy London Northern skinheads who also shake a mean rug. Many others who I can't remember (red wine), probably only about 100 in total but any time they want a bit of one-upmanship, just mention they made it through the blizzards of January 2010 to dance the night away at the 100 Club.

Edited by ady croasdell

Well worth the trip as usual. Simon and Ula made it for 9.45 and thought it had been cancelled so went of to get p*"ssed somewhere. I told him he should have tried the bloody door! Frank did well. A good batch of 100club tunes. Good Oldies. Best for me was The New Yorkers hadn't heard it for aaaaaaaages.

Not too keen on the funky 4 corners trend and am bored with the Salt & Pepper track already. But the Soul Inc is still doing it for me. I remember a funky soul room upstairs at The Scala quite a few years ago with Keb/Guy/Dean etc. Wasn't too keen then either. Just my opinion tho' I know lots like it.

Ady played a good set of oldies mixed in with some of his unissued stuff. Highlight for me was the unissued Paramount Four. Lovely Jublee!

Mr Dobson had me jumping up on stage to view another great cover up. Sublime 70's soul dancer. I wish I could remember what it was.

Thanks Mick for playing The Magnetics for me.

Spent 2 hrs in Macdonalds afterwards chatting to wiganer1 and Paul. Great stuff.

Til' next month.

Kev

Edited by Kev Moore

Allnighters and plenty of the "white stuff".

Well done Ady, the show must go on! ,

Snow ,snow ,snow. Well we made it and it was a great night considering the conditions leading upto the event. Genuine 100 club people who could get there made it and the nighter had a great relaxed atmosphere (or perhaps it was just the pints of Samuel Smiths followed by the Flowers in the 100 club). Anyway it felt great.

There was plenty of room to dance and hey you could get straight to the bar without too much of a wait. I really enjoyed the night and Mick really dug into his box of vinyl , Eric Mercury , the Appointments phew ! Butch with the Magnetics and some !! Ady with his 1st class pieces and Marco playing some nice Ghetto funk .

I tried to play something a bit different but also to compliment the 100 club sound and reputation, the crowd were very warm and it showed. Given the numbers who made it there and danced it was a good reflection on the music quality, again.

I must admit i struggled with the lights over the decks being dimmed for my 3 am spot, couldn't find enough white demos (easy to read in the dark) hence my last record Jimmy James , Time is running out on Coed was played. Welldone Butch for recovering the dance floor after that one.

Antonia the bar maid greeted me after my first spot saying how she enjoyed the music , this could only happen in this venue , brilliant ! it made my night.

I will put my play list up in a few days time. (interesting reading).

Thanks Ady for the spot and cheers to Mick , Butch and Marco .

Thanks Kev for the earlier reference to my spot.

Thanks to all who made , regards Frank:thumbup:

First spot 11.00 11.45

Beauty just skin deep-sweethearts

Comin home - Francis Faye

Zulu - billy emerson instru

Say yeh yeh - Yvonne Fair

it hurts so many times - Larry Davis

Miss my baby - Rose Batiste

Since i lost my baby- Metros

Don't want to be your fool - New yorkers

All the way from heaven - Chancellors

Soul Superman - hesitations

potion of love - Ambers

Lay this Burden down - Mary Love

Be's that way - Bobby Wells

Who can i run to - Gerri Hall

Got to have money - exits

I want my baby back - Ethics

Can't find another - Specials

I'll come running back- delegates of soul

Shoe fits you baby - Soul rockers

Chick chick - el Corols

second spot 03.00 03.45

Under the moon - Rufus Wonder

I got loneliness - Tim Rose

Got to have your love - Roy Roberts

Can't help crying - Endeavours

So lonely - Pefections

Love another girl - Rays

Hurts me so - Montereys

You don't tell the truth - Celebrities

Gonna get even - Ray williams

Getting back into circulation - Entertainers

My love shes gone - intentions

Cant let it ride - Boston hit men

Got to find that girl - Danny williams

Man from soul - Frankie &Damons

One more chance - Margie Joseph

Can't take it - Lainey Allen

Take a trip - Jimmy Vic

Time is running out - Jimmy James

All the best frank:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

From the moment Mick Smith walked into the Blue Post beforehand and gave us that beaming smile I just knew we were in for a great night!!

Most of how I felt has already been said but it seemed to me that all in attendance seemed to be raising their enjoyment levels just that bit higher, probably to make up for those that couldn't make it.

Some wonderful sets (Mick just kept on beaming all night - not surprised with those 45's!!) Special mention to Frank who impressed with some different sounds especially in his second set which by his own admission was slightly self-indulgent!!

Thanks to Richard for the lift (told his wife we were going on the train for safety purposes). Still, it was a good job we pulled over for a while when he was starting to nod off or we could be in Soul Heaven by now...

Thanks Ady

Mark C :good:

Really gutted did not come up from Devon in the end the wife persuaded me that we where going to get more snow and me and Bill would be stranded up in town. You should have seen my face like thunder looking out of the window all saturday evening :chinstroke: ah well role on 13th Feb.

Dor