'i Got A Man' - Crystals Vs. Toys

• Replies 12
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

"I Got A Man" penned by Sandy Linzer and Denny Randell, as was most of The Toys stuff on the album it came off I'd have thought Toys would be first. Take it The Crystals vers. was arranged by Charlie Calello, as was their other UA 45 "You Can't Tie A Good Girl Down" / "My Place" . Charlie Calello was also the Arranger on The Toys LP, so maybe he liked the tune and did it again on The Crystals for 45 release?? I don't believe The Toys got a 45 release on Dynovoice (which is a real pity imho) there was a few tracks on that LP that would have been nice on 45, in particular their brill version "What's Wrong With Me Baby" (tho that side did at least get a 45 release in 73 on Virgo, pity they flipped it with "Yesterday" from the LP and not "I Got A Man")

hth

steve

Social source share

I don't believe The Toys got a 45 release on Dynovoice (which is a real pity imho) there was a few tracks on that LP that would have been nice on 45, in particular their brill version "What's Wrong With Me Baby" (tho that side did at least get a 45 release in 73 on Virgo, pity they flipped it with "Yesterday" from the LP and not "I Got A Man")

hth

steve

According to John Clemente, the Toys had five 45's on Dynovoice. But not "I got a man" nor "What's wrong with me baby".

ToysToday.jpg

The Toys today. L to R: Barbara Pruitt, June Montiero, Barbara Harris

Social source share

According to John Clemente, the Toys had five 45's on Dynovoice. But not "I got a man" nor "What's wrong with me baby".

ToysToday.jpg

The Toys today. L to R: Barbara Pruitt, June Montiero, Barbara Harris

Hi Philippe, great pic of the girls! WWWMB did come out on Virgo on their"Golden Memories" series, not a Dynovoice release I know, but an offical release I'd have thought, wonder why they picked the track for "Golden Memories"?

steve

Social source share

• 2 years later...

Too right - especially after it took 6 weeks to arrive!

So this is a Barbara Harris, lead singer of the Toys, on her own, doing her own version of the Crystals / Toys "I Got A Man"?

Cool.

Are you able to post up a sound file of it?

Social source share

So this is a Barbara Harris, lead singer of the Toys, on her own, doing her own version of the Crystals / Toys "I Got A Man"?

Cool.

Are you able to post up a sound file of it?

Sorry to disappoint... It's the version by The Toys, but the disc credits only Barbara Harris. The flip is the standard take of Lover's Concerto, but again credited only to Barbara.

Social source share

Sorry to disappoint... It's the version by The Toys, but the disc credits only Barbara Harris. The flip is the standard take of Lover's Concerto, but again credited only to Barbara.

That IS a shame. Still, nice acetate.

Social source share

Found an interesting interview with Barbara Harris here: https://www.sundazed.com/scene/exclusives/toys_exclusive.html

In it Barbara recollects that...

"They wrote four songs in the beginning, and we went in and recorded the four songs," says Harris. Surprisingly, waxing "A Lover's Concerto" wasn't the primary goal that fateful day. "We did four songs, and that one was the last one that they introduced us to," she says. "The first three, we rehearsed for weeks, trying to get it just so. Then they came up with 'A Lover's Concerto' at the last minute, and they said, 'Hey girls, let's sing this song!' It was so easy that we rehearsed it for a bit, then we went into the studio and recorded that. The first take they took. We didn't have to do it over and over like the rest of them. And we never knew that that would be the one."

It's very possible then that "I got a man" was originally intended to be released as a 45, and prior to "Lover's concerto".

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!