Marlena Shaw.. Live In Manchester

Just got tickets to see this lady.. The Band on the wall is a fantastic live music venue thast been closed for a good while and now is back after a massive facelift... Details below for any others who could want to see her live...

Marlena Shaw.. Live at Band on the wall.. Swan St Manchester..

Sat 20th March 2010 - Doors open: 8pm..

Tickets £20

https://bandonthewall.org/events/2649/

One of the great singers from the 60's glory days of jazz, R&B, gospel and soul performs live at Band on the Wall!

Considered a national treasure in the USA, Marlena Shaw's 40-year career reads like a who's who's of music having fronted or played with, amongst others, Count Basie, Ray Brown, Sammy Davis Jnr, Benny Carter, Joe Williams and Frank Foster. She produced or sung on some of the era's best know hits and was also the first woman vocalist to be signed to Blue Note. With a later, highly successful foray into disco with the massive hit Touch Me In The Morning, her legacy continues as new-found fans with artists in the rap, dance and hip hop genres such as DJ Shadow, Diplo, Faze Action and St Germain sampling her work.

Expect a night featuring some of her greatest tunes such as California Soul, Mercy Mercy Mercy, Woman Of The Ghetto, Liberation Conversation, Touch Me In The Morning and many more. For a magical evening in the company of a music legend advance booking is strongly recommended.

This concert will begin at 8.30pm.

Social source share

• Replies 35
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just got tickets to see this lady.. The Band on the wall is a fantastic live music venue thast been closed for a good while and now is back after a massive facelift... Details below for any others who could want to see her live...

Tickets £20

One of the great singers from the 60's glory days of jazz, R&B, gospel and soul performs live at Band on the Wall!

Considered a national treasure in the USA, Marlena Shaw's 40-year career reads like a who's who's of music having fronted or played with, amongst others, Count Basie, Ray Brown, Sammy Davis Jnr, Benny Carter, Joe Williams and Frank Foster. She produced or sung on some of the era's best know hits and was also the first woman vocalist to be signed to Blue Note. With a later, highly successful foray into disco with the massive hit Touch Me In The Morning, her legacy continues as new-found fans with artists in the rap, dance and hip hop genres such as DJ Shadow, Diplo, Faze Action and St Germain sampling her work.

Expect a night featuring some of her greatest tunes such as California Soul, Mercy Mercy Mercy, Woman Of The Ghetto, Liberation Conversation, Touch Me In The Morning and many more. For a magical evening in the company of a music legend advance booking is strongly recommended.

Would love to see her Stevie but unfortunately it clashes with Prestaytyn mate. Oh well s--t happens eh?

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

Tickets £20

Cool!! thumbsup.gif

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Steve

Me and Ali are travelling down from Glasgow on Friday 19/03 to Stuart & Gill Marshalls in Radcliffe and then, providing he gets the tickets, Col & Karen Taylor will be meeting up with us at BOTW - really looking forward to it - I love live gigs....

Mick

Social source share

Looking forward to this one should be a great night anything happening after the show

Kieran

Pete Coulson was asking the same question????

The Greatstone rare soul night with Karl Heard, Nev plus the residents... gig should finish around 11 i guess, only 10 mins in a cab to the Greatstone, that sounds like a plan..... Anymore wanna do that we could share cabs...

pm me....

Edited by little-stevie
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bobby's girl

Really looking forward to this after an almost near miss with the tickets!

Then to the Castle afterwards!

Any other Soul Sourcers going?

...would that be the 'Windsor Castle' on Glossop Road, Sharron...? laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Social source share

tumbleweed3.gif

Castle Greatstone....

If any other are gonna come to the Greatstone soul club afterwards then have a look at club in events talk, they will need you to give names to be put on the door.. pm Mark Baildon...

Meeting in the fringe bar around 7pm with other members, its ove the road from the Band on the wall..

Social source share

Guest bobby's girl

For a packet of post gig pork scratchings and a half of Old Tom?

I've told you Hillary, I'm not interested:glare:

oooh Old Tom, you know how to treat a girl! And a ham and picalilli sandwich... nice bit o' ham, right off the bone...

Social source share

Link to band on the wall tickets on 1st post Mick..

Hope you make it, will be good to see you my old mucker....

cheers

steve

Stevie

Sorted. Just me, Ali, Stuart & Gill.

Also sent a PM to Mark B about the Greatstone as we're up for that as well.

Looking forward to seeing you mate.

Mick

Social source share

Guest bobby's girl

Ah the famous Dinosaurus!

Look out for me, I will be the one with the bad hair and Eric Morecambe specs :laugh:

... and the David-from-Heartbeat peaked cap :laugh::laugh:

Social source share

Turned out a very good gig.

To be honest when Marlena came on stage & kicked of with a 'jazzy' version of Wade In The Water I was a little sceptical but each song seemed to get better.

The only gripe is that she did'nt do an encore.

Didn't manage to get to the Greatstone as it would have proved a bit costly in taxi fares so we decided to go the Salutation but did'nt get there either as we had forgotten the name of the pub. We ended up at Chatham St instead of Higher Chatham St......

Mick

Social source share

Turned out a very good gig.

To be honest when Marlena came on stage & kicked of with a 'jazzy' version of Wade In The Water I was a little sceptical but each song seemed to get better.

The only gripe is that she did'nt do an encore.

Didn't manage to get to the Greatstone as it would have proved a bit costly in taxi fares so we decided to go the Salutation but did'nt get there either as we had forgotten the name of the pub. We ended up at Chatham St instead of Higher Chatham St......

Mick

It was a very good gig, I think California Soul should have been the encore, but as as she couldn't sit on the stool and was tired she stayed on stage rather than going through the pretense of going off then coming back on again.

Phil

Social source share

Well what can I say except how fantastic it was to see Marlena Shaw on Saturday.

I'm not sure how old the lady is but she was in fine fettle and her voice was as good as ever!

The new refurbished Band on the Wall is a lot more ...well err "sophisticated" shall I say..than the old gaff, I could even breathe in and out from time to time. Plus it was a nice change to come out of there without some kind of injury or being drenched with beer. Although it felt great to be back at the old place, it's been a long time:thumbsup:

Social source share

AT 74 YEARS YOUNG SHE WAS SIMPLY FANTASTIC BACKED BY A GREAT BAND THIS WAS A BRILLANT NIGHT LIAM AND JAMIE DONE A NICE JOB ON THE DECKS HEARD EVERYTHING FROM FUNK , NORTHERN , MODERN ,LATIN , BREAKS , NICE TO HEAR THE LIVE BAND BEING SPUN ALL AND ALL BIG THUMBS UP

Kieran

Edited by fifesoul
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!