The Best Taste In The Music

Guest Ivor Jones

Guest Ivor Jones

Who, in your opinion, has had the best taste in our music over the years that have gone on to influence others...?

It could be one of the founding fathers of the scene, or a DJ, or just one of your best mates who you think deserves some props that they havent had......

The time has come for them to be recognised people.

As ive started this thread ,im weighing in with these as my personal choices......

RANDY COZENS.

To this day, ive never met anyone with such exquisite taste in the music as Randy had....Sadly, though hes no longer with us, his influence lives on in anyone who was fortunate enough to be one of his friends.Top Man....

DAVE GODIN.

For obvious reasons.

JOHN ANDERSON.

It would take a whole book to list the records and the unsung artists that John has discovered in his time as the undisputed king of the record dealers.

IAN CLARK.

For me, Clarky was the ultimate of the Northern Scene`s DJs, his 100Club sessions were legendary[im sure anyone who was there will agree with me].Quite simply, i never heard him play a bad record. Due to family commitments,Ian is no longer on the scene but thats our loss im afraid...Respect to Clarkythumbsup.gif

TONY ROUNCE

Tony has quite simply got the best knowledge of not only Soul Music,but music in general that ive ever met........

Incidently, theres loads more deserving cases, lets see your choices people.......

Over to youshades.gif

Social source share

• Replies 54
  • Views 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Sorry that didn't come out correctly. What I mean is, it's ok to be influenced by someone to start you off on the journey but then you learn to make your own mind up rather than slavishly copy someone else's taste in music.

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Where is Tony anyway, must be 2 months now since he was on here.

God knows Pete......hes probably compilng an album of Peruvian Nose Flute music or something knowing Tony.shades.gif

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

soul-source members .......too many to mention who have contributed to my 'knowledge ' of records that

and the late pete lawson

Pete Lawson.....Now he WAS a legend..........what a character! RIP Pete

Social source share

God knows Pete......hes probably compilng an album of Peruvian Nose Flute music or something knowing Tony.shades.gif

No he's not into that anymore, he's now into Outer Mongolian Aardvark Strangling Music, whatever that is. Theres a cd of it coming out on Ace soon with extensive liner notes. By Tony.

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Sorry that didn't come out correctly. What I mean is, it's ok to be influenced by someone to start you off on the journey but then you learn to make your own mind up rather than slavishly copy someone else's taste in music.

[/quote

Correctamundo.... Dunno if you can actually copy someone elses tastes anyway unless you play nothing but the records they play. In the same order. Sooner or later,your own choices must come through mustn`t they but i know what you mean Pete.

Anyway, this is just about who any of the SoulSourcers personally rate from the past right up to today..

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

No he's not into that anymore, he's now into Outer Mongolian Aardvark Strangling Music, whatever that is. Theres a cd of it coming out on Ace soon with extensive liner notes. By Tony.

Yep. Should be out next Monday for anyone interestedthumbsup.gif

Social source share

Ady Croasdell & Ian Clark - probably responsible for sucking me into this scene in the first place as a teenager (ooer)

Adam Buchanan - demi god with a psychic link to the playlist of my dreams

Terry Jones - love him to death

Thorley - the man can do no wrong (except maybe for those capes :ph34r: )

The lovely Mr Rounce has been quietly about, but has a lot of stuff going down. Drop him a PM.

Social source share

So many to thank for adding to my wants list over the years.......

John Anderson - for all of the reasons previously mentioned, and top quality front page reccommendations

Colin Dilnot - a real soul music lover who put me on to so many great tunes via plenty of tapes exchanged during late 70's / early 80's

Chris Plant - a shining light of quality 60's tunes during the early 80's

Dave Thorley - for playing no holds barred, top quality soul from all eras

Arthur Fenn - for everything he's played - without compromise

Dave Hulmes - for the best taste in Soulful House & Garage

All of the contributors to the Crossover and Sweet & Deep threads........... :thumbup:

Edited by Wrongcrowd
Social source share

Simon Murray cos he told me too say him :chinstroke:

not been in the scene long enough to of been influenced by anyone in particular but any dj that can get me up to dance and make me hairs on me neck go all funny is an influence on me :good:

Social source share

Simon Murray cos he told me too say him g.gif

not been in the scene long enough to of been influenced by anyone in particular but any dj that can get me up to dance and make me hairs on me neck go all funny is an influence on me good.gif

Thank you Bearsy . I would have to say John Anderson as he can pick a great singer from any era and he also likes really hard funk !! :shhh:

Social source share

Who, in your opinion, has had the best taste in our music over the years that have gone on to influence others...?

It could be one of the founding fathers of the scene, or a DJ, or just one of your best mates who you think deserves some props that they havent had......

The time has come for them to be recognised people.

As ive started this thread ,im weighing in with these as my personal choices......

RANDY COZENS.

To this day, ive never met anyone with such exquisite taste in the music as Randy had....Sadly, though hes no longer with us, his influence lives on in anyone who was fortunate enough to be one of his friends.Top Man....

DAVE GODIN.

For obvious reasons.

JOHN ANDERSON.

It would take a whole book to list the records and the unsung artists that John has discovered in his time as the undisputed king of the record dealers.

IAN CLARK.

For me, Clarky was the ultimate of the Northern Scene`s DJs, his 100Club sessions were legendary[im sure anyone who was there will agree with me].Quite simply, i never heard him play a bad record. Due to family commitments,Ian is no longer on the scene but thats our loss im afraid...Respect to Clarkythumbsup.gif

TONY ROUNCE

Tony has quite simply got the best knowledge of not only Soul Music,but music in general that ive ever met........

Incidently, theres loads more deserving cases, lets see your choices people.......

Over to youshades.gif

Can't believe you left me off ya list :shhh:.. Whose the cheeky chap in the stripey jumper Ivor!

mappy

post-7041-12632390021672_thumb.jpg

Social source share

For me it has to be ADY CROASDELL for introducing me to so many good tunes on those beloved Kent compilations.

Those lp's shaped my taste in Soul music and many of the tracks were ones that i later tracked down and purchased on original 45's.

A lot of the records i heard over the years at Sleepless Nights in Dublin further added to my tastes and education but lately i would like to single out

STEVE CATO and KARL HEARD for being responsible for introducing me to so much great music and for really opening my ears.

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Ian Clark played Paradox "Ring the changes " whistling

Well i never heard him and to be honest it dont really matter to me.Whats one record? I rated him Simon :rolleyes:

Edited by Ivor Jones
Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

For me it has to be ADY CROASDELL for introducing me to so many good tunes on those beloved Kent compilations.

Those lp's shaped my taste in Soul music and many of the tracks were ones that i later tracked down and purchased on original 45's.

A lot of the records i heard over the years at Sleepless Nights in Dublin further added to my tastes and education but lately i would like to single out

STEVE CATO and KARL HEARD for being responsible for introducing me to so much great music and for really opening my ears.

Of course.......Ady has championed so many great records and kept the faith[LITERALLY in the lean years] with the 100Club .The man deserves a medal i reckon:thumbup:

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Can't believe you left me off ya list :tongue:.. Whose the cheeky chap in the stripey jumper Ivor!

mappy

Never seen him before....shades .Happy New Year mate.....

Social source share

For me it's got to be Kev Featherstone (Fev) from Norwich and of course my late crazy mate Pete Lawson who's already been mentioned.

Both anoraks to be sure but huge, vast knowledge. Kev got me started collecting in earnest back in the late 70's after I bought a Denise Chandler from him (a fantastic Soul tune but not a stomper which was de rigeur de jour) and Pete for taking it up a gear in the early to mid 80's..

Both have forgotten more than I know now. Cheers boys.

Mick Howard

Social source share

Never seen him before....shades.gif .Happy New Year mate.....

I've got an olds mod group on facebook mate.. Claire and Vanessa Winspear put that up. They told me to say hello to ya next time i see you..

You wanna see the ones of Simon Murry :shhh:

Social source share

Apart from John, Ady and Arthur based on Ivor's original question, influence and taste, then Richard Searling has to be up there for his DJing and Radio work. Straight DJing it has to be Butch. Gary Rushbrooke, Dave Greet, Rod Dearlove, Tim Ashibende, Dave Withers and Andy Dyson all have great taste and influence. More personally for straight out taste Gouch, Bully, Eddie Hubbard, Mick O'Donnell, Lars and Sean for all those great Sunday mornings on Solar, Cheers, Ady

Social source share

RANDY COZENS.

IAN CLARK.

Make you right on both those counts Ivor. Quite simply those 2 along with Ady and Dick Coombes shaped my life in the early to mid 80's.

Then Keb, Butch, Robin Salter, Adam Garbutt and Barry May later on.

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Apart from John, Ady and Arthur based on Ivor's original question, influence and taste, then Richard Searling has to be up there for his DJing and Radio work. Straight DJing it has to be Butch. Gary Rushbrooke, Dave Greet, Rod Dearlove, Tim Ashibende, Dave Withers and Andy Dyson all have great taste and influence. More personally for straight out taste Gouch, Bully, Eddie Hubbard, Mick O'Donnell, Lars and Sean for all those great Sunday mornings on Solar, Cheers, Ady

Yes,agree with all of the above Ady. All top people without a doubt.

shades.gif

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

I've got an olds mod group on facebook mate.. Claire and Vanessa Winspear put that up. They told me to say hello to ya next time i see you..

You wanna see the ones of Simon Murry thumbup.gif

Blimey ! Tell em me and Maxine send our lovethumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

I'll go for that thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Best ear for music i ever met was my mate Michael Cope from Nuneaton, no longer on the scene but one of the first to recognise the excellent Stafford sounds coming through. I still have a tape of his from 1983ish and it sounds as fresh as a daisy.

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Best ear for music i ever met was my mate Michael Cope from Nuneaton, no longer on the scene but one of the first to recognise the excellent Stafford sounds coming through. I still have a tape of his from 1983ish and it sounds as fresh as a daisy.

Thanks Matt. See, this is what its all about.A very personal chiocethumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Biggest influence on my taste in soul music by far was and still is Poke. Although he isn't jocking nowadays still contines to influence my taste. Iintroduced me to the spine tingling, hair on the neck raising delights of Deep and Southern soul for which I will always be eternally grateful.

Plus he introduced us all to some great tracks in the Cleethorpes years and wasn't afraid to continually push a track he believed in. hatsoff2.gif

Plus he's my mate which might have summat to do with it laugh.gif

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Got to be subjective this one Ivor.

I can really only suggest names that I think have similar tastes to my own, but I'd certainly nominate a couple of National Heavyweights for starters.

Dave Godin - Impeccable taste and the biggest influence on my own in the early days.

Richard Searling - 70's & 80's He always had a great ear for a quality tune!

Outside of those, the Soul Essence & Pitches guys have always been people I can rely on for a good tip on a quality item.

Names that immediately spring to mind.... Rod Dearlove (How many GREAT tunes has Rod been behind?), Mike Charlton (Absolutely!), Bob & Gavin (Naturally), Steve Plumb (The man behind the best LP only set in the known world), Steve G. Gareth Donovan, (how come, for someone so young?:thumbup:) etc. and in my own direct circle... The Wikipedia of Soul, John Benson (great ears)..... The very wonderful Kevin Briscoe (if you've ever heard him play out or received a CD from Kevin, you'll know what I mean :yes: The guy has incredible taste) and my partner in crime Tats who (as you know) has blinding great taste, always uncompromisingly soulful and, these days, one of the most entertaining Real Soul DJ's on the planet.

People who may not DJ a great deal, but I know :) have great taste (i.e. similar to my own) would include Binsy (He knows the score) Blake Helliwell (Sublime taste in music) Richard Broughton (First Class) Alan Darker (Always a winner!) Rob Hurcombe (Midlands Maestro) Mike Lofthouse & Adam Garbutt (North East Legends) Eddie Hubbard (A1+) and Dave Turner (Arkwright) who is so similar to me, in where we are at in the music, we're thinking of setting up home together :yes:.

Oh... and I think you know a good tune, when you hear one, as well Mr Jones wink.gif.

Sure there's a lot more, but at 11:00pm (and I'm supposed to be preparing a presentation for tomorrow morning) that's just a quick brain dump.

:thumbup:

Sean

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Got to be subjective this one Ivor.

I can really only suggest names that I think have similar tastes to my own, but I'd certainly nominate a couple of National Heavyweights for starters.

Dave Godin - Impeccable taste and the biggest influence on my own in the early days.

Richard Searling - 70's & 80's He always had a great ear for a quality tune!

Outside of those, the Soul Essence & Pitches guys have always been people I can rely on for a good tip on a quality item.

Names that immediately spring to mind.... Rod Dearlove (How many GREAT tunes has Rod been behind?), Mike Charlton (Absolutely!), Bob & Gavin (Naturally), Steve Plumb (The man behind the best LP only set in the known world), Steve G. Gareth Donovan, (how come, for someone so young?hatsoff2.gif) etc. and in my own direct circle... The Wikipedia of Soul, John Benson (great ears)..... The very wonderful Kevin Briscoe (if you've ever heard him play out or received a CD from Kevin, you'll know what I mean yes.gif The guy has incredible taste) and my partner in crime Tats who (as you know) has blinding great taste, always uncompromisingly soulful and, these days, one of the most entertaining Real Soul DJ's on the planet.

People who may not DJ a great deal, but I know innocent.gif have great taste (i.e. similar to my own) would include Binsy (He knows the score) Blake Helliwell (Sublime taste in music) Richard Broughton (First Class) Alan Darker (Always a winner!) Rob Hurcombe (Midlands Maestro) Mike Lofthouse & Adam Garbutt (North East Legends) Eddie Hubbard (A1+) and Dave Turner (Arkwright) who is so similar to me, in where we are at in the music, we're thinking of setting up home together laugh.gif.

Oh... and I think you know a good tune, when you hear one, as well Mr Jones wink.gif.

Sure there's a lot more, but at 11:00pm (and I'm supposed to be preparing a presentation for tomorrow morning) that's just a quick brain dump.

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Fair enough mate, sounds ok to me. You pay the mortgage and I'll stick me arse in the air laugh.gif

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

DAVE GREET - Best NORTHERN SOUL DJ in England bar none.

PETE WIDDISON - Thirty odd years of great record tips. Cheers mate.

Southampton.thumbsup.gif

Edited by chorleysoul
Social source share

A chance for me to say some thanks

• (The Original) Steve Smith - Innovative Yate DJ, sometime landlord.
  • Richard Searling - Supportive, Creative, true Soulman
  • Colin Curtis - God is a DJ
  • Ian Clarke - Saturday afternoons at my house, blowing me away with his new finds
  • John Anderson - A true original

Ady Pountain, singley the most supportive mate and DJ over 30 years.

DJ's I love to listen to today

Butch, Arthur Fenn, Cliff Steel, Lars Bulnheim, Marc Forrest, Sam, Marco, Andy Dyson and Malayka (really!!, keeps me on my toes, fresh open minded view of the music we love, as well as my wife)

Dave

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Two Dursley chaps for me.

Firstly Conway Jones. Saw me with a Big Wheel Of Motown LP, and said the immortal words (To me anyway). If you like that, I've got some stuff you'll love. Went to his house and the first bars of This Is The End came belting out the stereo speakers and I was a convert. So much so, the first Northern Soul record I bought was Johnnt Bragg on Elbejay, and it cost 4 weeks paperound money. With no going to Youth Club so I could get it.

Then Dave Thorley, probably wont remember, but I was always a 60s fan. Still am predominently. But one evening he was DJing at a local village hall in Coaley, for a scooter do, or a scooterists birthday party, and he took me out to his car (The Viva that was hit while parked in the car park Dave), and played a tape with Luther Vandross, I'll let you slide on it.

I'm still not massively into 70s 80s 90s soul. But that little trip to listen to the tape, did show me that there is great soul music from all eras. And when the 'modern' style stuff comes on, I dont have to amuse myself looking through the sales boxes, until the 60s comes back on :yes:

And to this day I'll let you slide is one of my fave tracks.

So cheers guys.

I'd also like to mention Gary Rushbrooke. Because his style of hard nose in your face stompers really fitted with the stuff I wanted as a young twentysomething at Stafford.

And during my time in London.

Marco Santucci and Soulful Cris (Cristina Naggar) played the most soulful, beautiful sets.

And Jo Wallace for just taking the time to chat and put me onto some great tunes I didnt know, but I would always trust her judgement and buy blind if she recommended stuff to me.

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

A chance for me to say some thanks

Ady Pountain, singley the most supportive mate and DJ over 30 years.

The problem with this question is that you tend to gravitate with someone with the same taste as yours; having said that I would say that Adrian Pountain has the finest taste in music that comes under the wide umbrella of 'northern soul' from age old stuff to new release (at any particular era). That G.I Joe Fantasions being an exception!

Social source share

I'm not blowing smoke here just because he's been a friend for a long time, but Sean Hampsey has a great, wide ranging taste in Soul music and has put me, and others onto loads of tunes over the years.

Arthur Fenn and Richard Searling stand out over the years as well for me.

Has SimonM mentioned JohnA yet ? :laugh:

Social source share

For growing up in North Wales for me personally was Bob Foster , without people like himself being pioneers and spreading the music ; I think the amount of young people being touched by soul music ( especially) Detroit in North Wales would be far less !!

Pete m

Edited by Pete Morgan
Social source share

ame='simon t' date='13 January 2010 - 12:59 AM' timestamp='1263344341' post='1236431']

I'm not blowing smoke here just because he's been a friend for a long time, but Sean Hampsey has a great, wide ranging taste in Soul music and has put me, and others onto loads of tunes over the years.

Arthur Fenn and Richard Searling stand out over the years as well for me.

Has SimonM mentioned JohnA yet ? laugh.gif

You cant knock John A Steve !! . For me virtually every nighter dj has dropped a few clangers , including your mate Hampster lol :lol::rolleyes:

John A seemed to have a Londoners taste if you know what I mean :wicked:

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Guest little glyn

For growing up in North Wales for me personally was Bob Foster , without people like himself being pioneers and spreading the music ; I think the amount of young people being touched by soul music ( especially) Detroit in North Wales would be far less !!

Pete m

yes.gif i can wholly agree with your comments about mr bob foster the guys knowledge and background work in collecting, supplying and breaking new sounds quietly without wanting to be the big i am was amazing. to see his personal collection was a amazing, a place for eveything and everything in its place a true legend

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!