Another Boot Being Sold As Original

Pete S

• Replies 49
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

I'm confused by this - as far as I can see, this is an original according to the Manship book.

Light blue labels, dark blue text, instrumental B-side.

What am I missing?

(My only source of information is the Manship book for things like this)

Social source share

I'm confused by this - as far as I can see, this is an original according to the Manship book.

What am I missing?

Thats not the light blue label though, it's the off white one

Social source share

Guest Catfish

What am I missing?

Perhaps because the picture makes the label look white, rather than pale blue; and I think Arctic boots are white;it's probably just the light. I don't have my Manship book to hand but the description of deadwax etc. makes it sound right.. Good to know it's in a genuine WHITE SLEEVE, as well !? :unsure:

THE SLEEVE

THIS SINGLE IS HOUSED IN A PLAIN WHITE PAPER SLEEVE WHICH IS IN NEAR MINT CONDITION.

Social source share

Perhaps because the picture makes the label look white, rather than pale blue; and I think Arctic boots are white;it's probably just the light. I don't have my Manship book to hand but the description of deadwax etc. makes it sound right.. Good to know it's in a genuine WHITE SLEEVE, as well !? unsure.gif

THE SLEEVE

THIS SINGLE IS HOUSED IN A PLAIN WHITE PAPER SLEEVE WHICH IS IN NEAR MINT CONDITION.

Yes the sleeve is excellent... :thumbup:

the reissue and the original have the same matrixes but honestly, it does look like the off white one, but I asked him and he says pale blue so fair play to him and I withdraw my comment that it's a boot if thats the case

Social source share

Well, comparing those images above to the one on Pete's post, I'd say Pete was right...it's a boot!!

EDIT... Just spotted that the image posted by OldFeet is a demo. which would be different anyway. So, errmm, well, errmmm whistling

Edited by Blunny
Social source share

And here's an image from a completed auction on Popsike, where the seller specifically states "Please note, this is the Light Blue label Original press with Blue Text, and not the 70's white label reissue with similar blue text."

200145308134.jpg

all down to the lighting, perhaps?

Social source share

Also, according to the Manship book, it's a legit repressing, not a boot, if I'm reading it correctly - or is there a boot that isn't in the Manship book?

Social source share

Is it worth us mentioning these anymore, there's loads every day

https://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item2eaa42030a

Yes Pete, allways, Cos I and many others have s**t for brains and can never remember all the differant boots, pressings , 1st issues, second issues, etc, etc,and on more the one occasion you have saved me from paying out good hard earned momey to rip off merchants, and, I dont carry my JMs bootleg guide around with me to check :thumbup:

Social source share

And here's an image from a completed auction on Popsike, where the seller specifically states "Please note, this is the Light Blue label Original press with Blue Text, and not the 70's white label reissue with similar blue text."

200145308134.jpg

all down to the lighting, perhaps?

Compare that to a proper Arctic blue label, that one looks like the reissue as well

Social source share

Also, according to the Manship book, it's a legit repressing, not a boot, if I'm reading it correctly - or is there a boot that isn't in the Manship book?

Why are you splitting hairs, who cares if it's a legit repress? Boot, pressing, reissue, 2nd issue, all terms to describe a record that is not the original first issue.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Pete, I'm not trying to wind you up here - I'm splitting hairs because I know very little about US 'Northern' 45s, and I rely on the Manship book as a source of information - I'm just curious to know what's right and what isn't, just to get a better idea of what I can rely on in the future.

I'm still surprised (never having been on the NS 'scene') as to what has and hasn't been booted, faked or whatever, over the years, and apart from the obvious recent repros/carvers/white labels, they can be hard to tell apart IF you weren't there at the time...

And a lot of people take the difference between 'boot' and 'reissue' very seriously, surely?

Social source share

But that bottom picture's just wrong. Arctic DJ copies are white, aren't they?

Which means it must only look blue because of the lighting...

Social source share

Guest MissHongkongfuey

Is it worth us mentioning these anymore, there's loads every day

https://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item2eaa42030a

Yes it is worth mentioning and i have to thank the folks on here for doing so. I'm useless with boots, re-issues and tap on the shoulders of SS members for help and advice on a regular basis. Often check out popsike but mainly its the members on the site that offer guidence and advice. Another reason why i mainly buy from the sales lists on here! thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest 1STFRIEARL

Sat here with a one side copy in my hand, the play side is tinted blue, and could look white if a pic was taken. Now the blank side has a plain label which is a bit darker.

hope this has helped

Social source share

Sat here with a one side copy in my hand, the play side is tinted blue, and could look white if a pic was taken. Now the blank side has a plain label which is a bit darker.

hope this has helped

If it's got a blank side then it's a demo and it should be white, if it's pale blue someone's had the crayons out! :unsure: categorically there are no blue demos

Social source share

The 'originals' are noticeably light blue.

Here's an image of one from popsike.

That a doctored image - Everything is blue - god knows why, probably scanner on it's last legs.

The pale blue originals can cause a problem with scanners - my scanner would scan it almost white , causing me the very same problems as highlighted in this thread. - In fact the quote "Please note, this is the Light Blue label Original press with Blue Text, and not the 70's white label reissue with similar blue text." was my quote, as was the image, which I enhanced to make it a bit more blue.

200145308134.jpg

Still looks whiter than it really was.

I'm sure the ebay record which started this thread was a real one

Cheers

Mick Holdsworth

Edited by sixtify
Social source share

Guest 1STFRIEARL

If it's got a blank side then it's a demo and it should be white, if it's pale blue someone's had the crayons out! :laugh: categorically there are no blue demos

Yes it is white pete not blue tint writing is black, sorry my eyes and age, but the label on blank side is a very pale blue, think this is one for dave and brians eyes

Social source share

Why are you splitting hairs, who cares if it's a legit repress? Boot, pressing, reissue, 2nd issue, all terms to describe a record that is not the original first issue.

My new word for the year to encompass all the above is NOFI (Not Original First Issue) pronounced as 'nof-eee' :yes:

When I can't remember if a record is a boot, pressing, reissue or a 2nd issue , I will now confuse anyone within hearing by proclaiming it as a "nofeee" , as in "It's only worth a tenner it's not the original it's a nofeee"

I'll get my coat :thumbup:

Social source share

That a doctored image - Everything is blue - god knows why, probably scanner on it's last legs.

The pale blue originals can cause a problem with scanners - my scanner would scan it almost white , causing me the very same problems as highlighted in this thread. - In fact the quote "Please note, this is the Light Blue label Original press with Blue Text, and not the 70's white label reissue with similar blue text." was my quote, as was the image, which I enhanced to make it a bit more blue.

200145308134.jpg

Cheers

Mick Holdsworth

Why? It looks nothing like one!

Social source share

Perhaps because the picture makes the label look white, rather than pale blue; and I think Arctic boots are white;it's probably just the light. I don't have my Manship book to hand but the description of deadwax etc. makes it sound right.. Good to know it's in a genuine WHITE SLEEVE, as well !? :unsure:

THE SLEEVE

after reading all these replys decided not to go for record,but make offer for sleeve whats a good price and do you think it is origonal and came with record:thumbup::thumbup: k.

Social source share

looking at the one on ebay it's half light blue and half white :thumbsup: taken at an angle with camera not the best way to get a decent photo of a record/label. Always worth posting Pete, and if interested in buying and still not sure after refviewing all the info available better to avoid it and avoid possible disappointment. Know lots of dealers/collectors don't even bother with ebay these days.

Social source share

Pete,

If you mean the current one, I thought it looked pale blue.

But if you meant this one ...

200145308134.jpg

.. you're right, it does look off-white, and that was the problem, because in reality it looked nothing like this, due to duff scanner.

Cheers

Mick

You two don't share the same scanner do you Mick :thumbsup:

Social source share

Theirs no such thing as legal reissues of labels as this unless the someone can purely specify they own the rights and can produce the evidence as such.

People often use the term reissue as a mask for boot!

The Reissues of "Billy Floyd" and "Kenny Gamble" on Arctic are legal reissues :rolleyes:

Dave f........

Social source share

Theirs no such thing as legal reissues of labels as this unless the someone can purely specify they own the rights and can produce the evidence as such.

People often use the term reissue as a mask for boot!

In this case Steve I beg to differ. Jimmy Bishop owned everything lock stock and barrel and it was he who did the reissues using original stampers in many cases.

Social source share

Doesn't look real to me..

His :-

37449371.jpg

Real one:-

200318069588.jpg

I thought the blue ones with Black print as opposed to dark Blue print were boots as well ....................Anyone ?

If I'm wrong I've one to pull out of my junk box:thumbup:

Social source share

200145308134.jpg

Cheers

Mick Holdsworth

i agree mick its the vinyl thats the big givaway with the arctic boots as well although one or two of the better selling ones came out on styrene west coast copies with delta 4,5 or 6 rather than the 9 & 10 ones

Social source share

Kenny Gamble was bootlegged before it was "reissued"

n.b. I am talking about 'the jokes on you'

Yes i know that Pete,i was replying to the post where it said,

"Theres no such thing as legal reissues of labels"

which i was pointing out that "B Floyd(MOM)" & "K Gamble(TJOY)" were

legal Arctic reissues.

Dave f.....

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

Right I'm going to add a bit of fuel to this fire, we know the off white ones are reissues and think the pale blue ones are real, but they aren't, they are also reissues despite what any book says or doesn't. The real original stock copy is ba slightly darker blue and the lettering is a really deep dark blue.

Social source share

Right I'm going to add a bit of fuel to this fire, we know the off white ones are reissues and think the pale blue ones are real, but they aren't, they are also reissues despite what any book says or doesn't. The real original stock copy is ba slightly darker blue and the lettering is a really deep dark blue.

When this came up about two years ago it was apparent that the 70s issue was pressed from the original stampers and was not easy to tell apart from the 60s original press.

Anyway i got mine off you Pete so I'll have a good look tonightrolleyes.gif

Edited by Rbman
Social source share

When this came up about two years ago it was apparent that the 70s issue was pressed from the original stampers and was not easy to tell apart from the 60s original press.

Anyway i got mine off you Pete so I'll have a good look tonightrolleyes.gif

If my theory is right then you'd be entitled to a refund!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!