The Friendship Soul Sessions - Barnsley

THE FRIENDSHIP SOUL SESSIONS SATURDAY 30th JANUARY 2010

January is another 5 Saturday Month which means.......

The Friendship Boys are at it.....................Again!whistling.gif

Saturday Jan 3oth 2010

The Friendship Soul Sessions

Kingstone WMC

Park Road

Barnsley, South Yorks.

S70 6LL

8.00pm - 1.00am

A night of Rare & Rarely Played All Tempo Soul

Cheap Bar til 1.00am

Great Dance Floor

Superb Sound System

Mark Whiteley & Ian 'Geordie' Johnson

Plus Special Guest

Derek Greenhoff

Well what can we say about Mr G,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

A stalwart of the soul scene in South Yorkshire for longer than most of us care to remember, Derek is currently well known for his Popular Oldies & Motown nights at Barnsley's Trades & Kingstone clubs (co-promoted by Tom & Dean) .

Atracting record numbers and probably responsible for keeping the venues afloat Derek and co have it seems hit the right formulae of musical choice and guest line up to keep the masses happy. Affectionately referred to as 'Two Tons of Soul' Derek and Tom Wheelhouses double decking sets are well known throughout the region and have gained them guest spots at many venues througout Yorkshire and beyond.

However, having known him for near on fourty years I for one know that Dereks musical interests lie much deeper than the tried & tested oldies route, so with that in mind, and also the fact that his record room is overflowing with,what are to me, and many others I'm sure, many many rare and underplayed gems just begging for an airing, we approached the affable Mr G with the prospect of a spot at the Friendship Rare Soul Sessions.

And he said Yes!

So a Very Special Guest appearance, and a musical diversion From the man himself.hatsoff2.gif

Remember though - Not Another Oldies Night! a chance for DG to dig deep and surprise us !wicked.gif

Hope you can join usthumbup.gif

Info/Directions etc Ian 07931-523103 Mark 07810 - 707597

Edited by MarkWhiteley
  • Replies 38
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

The Friendship Boys are at it.....................Again!whistling

Saturday Jan 3oth 2010

Kingstone WMC

Park Road

Barnsley, South Yorks.

S70 6LL

8.00pm - 1.00am

Cheap Bar til 1.00am

Great Dance Floor

Superb Sound System

Plus Special Guest

Derek Greenhoff

A stalwart of the soul scene in South Yorkshire for longer than most of us care to remember, Derek is currently well known for his Popular Oldies & Motown nights at Barnsley's Trades & Kingstone clubs (co-promoted by Tom & Dean) .

Atracting record numbers and probably responsible for keeping the venues afloat Derek and co have it seems hit the right formulae of musical choice and guest line up to keep the masses happy. Affectionately referred to as 'Two Tons of Soul' Derek and Tom Wheelhouses double decking sets are well known throughout the region and have gained them guest spots at many venues througout Yorkshire and beyond.

However, having known him for nearly thirty years I for one know that Dereks musical interests lie much deeper than the tried & tested oldies route, so with that in mind, and also the fact that his record room is overflowing with,what are to me, and many others I'm sure, many many rare and underplayed gems just begging for an airing, we approached the affable Mr G with the prospect of a spot at the Friendship Soul Sessions.

And he said Yes!

So a Very Special Guest appearance, and a musical diversion From the man himself.:hatsoff2:

Remember though - Not Another Oldies Night! a chance for DG to dig deep and surprise us !:wicked:

Hope you can join us:thumbup:

what a good description of dek [is he the tall dark guy with a tache ]??imho...the best time at the trades is the early hour when hes playing some blinder sounds not later when djs are playing to the floor if you let him play what he wants and the punters go with it it will be one hell of a spot...have a good night ...k

m

what a good description of dek [is he the tall dark guy with a tache ]??imho...the best time at the trades is the early hour when hes playing some blinder sounds not later when djs are playing to the floor if you let him play what he wants and the punters go with it it will be one hell of a spot...have a good night ...k

m

Well can you beleive the first time my mate Mr Greenhoff is on at the friendship night at kingstone and where will yocky be 100 miles away at the blues weekend at skeggi but not to worry because i have been looky enough to have the pleasure of his company at his home and boy as he got some sounds ready for the 30th at kingstone.Like Mark said Derek as been in this game a long time and his knowledge of the scene is as good as anybodys i know and he as some top sounds.Wish i could be there but he promises me he will play his spot back to me the therapy after the 30th.it just leaves me to say have a good un and go with your lugs open you just might be supprised all the best the Yockmiester.

Saturday Jan 3oth 2010

Kingstone WMC

Park Road

Barnsley, South Yorks.

S70 6LL

8.00pm - 1.00am

Cheap Bar til 1.00am

Great Dance Floor

Superb Sound System

Plus Special Guest

Derek Greenhoff

However, having known him for near on fourty years I for one know that Dereks musical interests lie much deeper than the tried & tested oldies route, so with that in mind, and also the fact that his record room is overflowing with,what are to me, and many others I'm sure, many many rare and underplayed gems just begging for an airing, we approached the affable Mr G with the prospect of a spot at the Friendship Rare Soul Sessions.

And he said Yes!

So a Very Special Guest appearance, and a musical diversion From the man himself.hatsoff2.gif

Remember though - Not Another Oldies Night! a chance for DG to dig deep and surprise us !wicked.gif

I will be definately making this one .

I , like you Mark , have know " Mr Barnsley " - for more years than I care to remember , and I have great respect for Derek , both as man and as a DJ .

His record knowledge is second to none , hence the deserved standing and appreciaton he has on the scene , and I am sure that what he pulls out of his collection will be essential and worthwhile listening .

Malc Burton

I will be definately making this one .

I , like you Mark , have know " Mr Barnsley " - for more years than I care to remember , and I have great respect for Derek , both as man and as a DJ .

His record knowledge is second to none , hence the deserved standing and appreciaton he has on the scene , and I am sure that what he pulls out of his collection will be essential and worthwhile listening .

Malc Burton

the Yokster has apparently been privvyph34r.gif to a sneak preview of what may hit the decks Malc so it sounds like 'the essential & worthwhile listening' tag will be justified good.gif

M.

HI MARK,YOU CAN PUT ME DOWN FOR THIS ONE. I THINK

PHIL NEWTON MAY TURN UP TO HAVE A LISTEN TO THE BIG BOY. sleep3.gif

THERE IS A STORY GOING ROUND THAT THE OLD DEARS

(the brandy sisters) ARE GOING TO HAVE A NIGHT WITH US BETTER

TELL GORDIE TO SORT IS PLAY BOX OUT OR IT MAY BE LIKE A

BUTCHERS SHOP IN THE BIG ROOM boxing.gif

PHIL NEWTON MAY TURN UP TO HAVE A LISTEN TO THE BIG BOY. :sleep3:

BUTCHERS SHOP IN THE BIG ROOM :boxing:

You do know that 'The Old Dears' were two of our greatest supporters in the early days Tom, dont think they missed a night for the first 2 or 3 years

Be nice to have them back, they will maybe hear something that they can add to their playlists:innocent:

:good:and yes, Im sure Mr Newton will be putting in an appearance

M.

Edited by MarkWhiteley

You do know that 'The Old Dears' were two of our greatest supporters in the early days Tom, dont think they missed a night for the first 2 or 3 years

Be nice to have them back, they will maybe hear something that they can add to their playlists:innocent:

M.

All being well....

PHIL NEWTON MAY TURN UP TO HAVE A LISTEN TO THE BIG BOY. sleep3.gif

BUTCHERS SHOP IN THE BIG ROOM boxing.gif

Tom

Red Rag to a bull that comment...i now have to dig deep and find tunes that will envoke the biggest moans of all from the coka cola gals ... at least thats all i ever see them buy :thumbsup:

Im sure i can push in one or two to have joyce tapping along but as for shirl...well i take the ear bashing along with the other 3500 ive had already.

cant wait to hear derek digging deep this will be one good night

Geeooooordie

Saturday Jan 3oth 2010

Kingstone WMC

Park Road

Barnsley, South Yorks.

S70 6LL

8.00pm - 1.00am

Cheap Bar til 1.00am

Great Dance Floor

Superb Sound System

Plus Special Guest

Derek Greenhoff

And he said Yes!

really looking forwared t this..

...col..shell..

Edited by shedhead

the Yokster has apparently been privvy:ph34r: to a sneak preview of what may hit the decks Malc so it sounds like 'the essential & worthwhile listening' tag will be justified :good:

M.

Popped to Dereks in the week and he played me 2 tunes you would not believe all i can say is in the words of the temptations GET READY!!!!!

Popped to Dereks in the week and he played me 2 tunes you would not believe all i can say is in the words of the temptations GET READY!!!!!

So my little round friendrolleyes.gif are you going to spill the beans on what they might be........................................

or are we left in suspence until the night in questionph34r.gif

M.thumbsup.gif

It's well known Mr G's music room is what legends are made of smile.gif Looking

forward to his set plucked from deep within his vault thumbsup.gif It's shaping up to be a cracking night thumbup.gif

See you there.

Don

So my little round friendrolleyes.gif are you going to spill the beans on what they might be........................................

or are we left in suspence until the night in questionph34r.gif

M.thumbsup.gif

thal get more than spilt beens whitley(little round friend!!!!!)i dunt call thee tommy no thumbs and i was just about to tell thi but tha can Kn+*"ers nar thal av to wait till the 30th the little round yockmiester.
Guest BrandySistaShirl

M.

glad you remembered that mark.

we are defo comin i too have heard some of what mr greenoff is goin to play:yes:

were goin to sit n listen to your set ......

n clean toilets when geordies on.....(only jokin)

no realy he has some beauties lined up.

infact i can feel a dance comin on.

see ya soon.x

Guest BrandySistaShirl

Tom

Red Rag to a bull that comment...i now have to dig deep and find tunes that will envoke the biggest moans of all from the coka cola gals ... at least thats all i ever see them buy whistling

Im sure i can push in one or two to have joyce tapping along but as for shirl...well i take the ear bashing along with the other 3500 ive had already.

cant wait to hear derek digging deep this will be one good night

Geeooooordie

bring it on luv.thumbsup.gif xxxxxxx

thal get more than spilt beens whitley(little round friend!!!!!)i dunt call thee tommy no thumbs and i was just about to tell thi but tha can Kn+*"ers nar thal av to wait till the 30th the little round yockmiester.

just missed you my little round friend will catch you later. your best mate tom yes.gif

Saturday Jan 3oth 2010

Kingstone WMC

Park Road

Barnsley, South Yorks.

S70 6LL

8.00pm - 1.00am

Cheap Bar til 1.00am

Great Dance Floor

Superb Sound System

Plus Special Guest

Derek Greenhoff

And he said Yes!

HI MARK/IAN

REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO DEREK'S SPOT. thumbup.gif SEEMS AGES SINCE LAST FRIENDSHIP.

SEE YOU ALL NEXT SATURDAY.

AV & PETE

TOM, Joe...will be good to see you...just thinking i cant remember what joe looks like its been that long...Both coming with the missusses, i'll have to watch my f**king language then wont I

Hi Av and Pete, will be nice to see you too....ooooh its going to be a nice cozy nite in the company of a mutitude of friends...and i need a pint after my humoungus tax bill ive had to pay :thumbsup:

See you all Saturday

Geeoooooooordie

Edited by geordiejohnson

PAUL your anniversary again??? either times flown or you keep making these up for free ale :lol:

Be good t see you last time i saw you was 2009!!!!!

Geeooooooordie

Damn it Geordie, you have discovered our scam, we'll have to cancel the other 5 anniversaries and 4 birthdays for the rest of this year now.

Anyway mate don't bother buying us a beer, just play Gene Chandler for us, that'll do.

See you Saturday

Paul & Sue :hatsoff2::hatsoff2:

Directions for our travelling visitors:-

S70 6LL for the Sat-Nav (may show 'Raley Street' or 'Park Road' depending on which mapping system you have - club on junction of both)

From M1 - Leave the Motorway at Junction 37 and head towards Barnsley, as you leave the motorway roundabout get into the right hand lane, through the pelican crossing to the traffic lights at major x-roads - turn right here - follow this road for approx 1/2 mile - you will pass the Fire/Ambulance station on your left and a large school complex on your right. The road bends slightly left to traffic lights, stay in the left hand lane and the club is on your left just through these lights, turn first left into 'Raley' street, parking in club grounds or on street.

Any problems call Mark 07810-707597 or Ian 07953- 532103

M.:thumbup:

Directions for our travelling visitors:-

S70 6LL for the Sat-Nav (may show 'Raley Street' or 'Park Road' depending on which mapping system you have - club on junction of both)

From M1 - Leave the Motorway at Junction 37 and head towards Barnsley, as you leave the motorway roundabout get into the right hand lane, through the pelican crossing to the traffic lights at major x-roads - turn right here - follow this road for approx 1/2 mile - you will pass the Fire/Ambulance station on your left and a large school complex on your right. The road bends slightly left to traffic lights, stay in the left hand lane and the club is on your left just through these lights, turn first left into 'Raley' street, parking in club grounds or on street.

Any problems call Mark 07810-707597 or Ian 07953- 532103

M.:thumbup:

Hi mark, WAS really looking forward to this as you know we`d booked a b&b for the night, but unfortunatly di`s very poorly laid up in bed so were very sorry but we won`t be able to make this one. I`m sure you`ll have a great night especially with mr greenhough behind the decks, hope all goes well-REGARDS HARRY & DIthumbsup.gif

Hi mark, WAS really looking forward to this as you know we`d booked a b&b for the night, but unfortunatly di`s very poorly laid up in bed so were very sorry but we won`t be able to make this one. I`m sure you`ll have a great night especially with mr greenhough behind the decks, hope all goes well-REGARDS HARRY & DIthumbsup.gif

Hi Harry, sorry to hear Di's not good, nothing serious I hope,

Wish her well and a speedy recovery from us at this endthumbsup.gif

Catch up at some point

M.thumbsup.gif