Sandra Wright R.i.p

Soulfreak

• Replies 31
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Very Sad news indeed.....agree with the above her unreleased LP and subsequent giving up on recording was one of the soul scenes greatest losses.

RIP Sandra x

SANDRA WRIGHT - I'M NOT STRONG ENOUGH TO LOVE YOU AGAIN -

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Agree with Eddie and Drew, a masterpiece of an lp. I was working at HMV when it came out and went for an interview with demon records pretty much on the strength of this album and the fact they owned the Hi label back catalogue.

It's been a bad time lately with Willie Mitchell as well:sad:

I'll be spinning a few at home tonight

Social source share

Agree with all the compliments paid to Sandra's Demon LP, I bought it when it came out and couldn't believe how good it was.

I was delighted when 'I'll Come Running Back' took off on the scene

Here a link to an article on Sandra by Colin Dilnot on Sandra's web site

https://www.sandrawri...b_Articles.html

And another great side...

SANDRA WRIGHT - MIDNIGHT AFFAIR -

Edited by Soulfreak
Social source share

Agree with Eddie and Drew, a masterpiece of an lp. I was working at HMV when it came out and went for an interview with demon records pretty much on the strength of this album and the fact they owned the Hi label back catalogue.

It's been a bad time lately with Willie Mitchell as well:sad:

I'll be spinning a few at home tonight

Very sad news indeed - what a great singer.The album is one of my prized possessions and I come running back and The Sha -La bandit were on the cassette I compiled to woo my missus .

I'm pretty sure it was HMV I bought it from Binsy as a new release. The one on Oxford St - either there or Virgin on Oxford Street.

Manus

Edited by manus
Social source share

Remember buying my copy of this album from a record shop in Oxford at the time , think it was at a budget price as well , if you've got this set then you'll probably agree with me that the sleevenotes are amazing and sell the album to the buyer almost as much as the music within the grooves .....Best,Eddie

That about sums it up Eddie.......!

SANDRA WRIGHT R.I.P.

"But The Feeling Was Gone"

the sad loss of Sandra Wright now makes this statement more Poignant!

Social source share

r.i.p. sandra wright. her wounded woman lp is the complete femme soul album imo. never bothered with the midnight affair 45 because we had the lp. then lo & behold brian picked one up on sunday on a canadian site real cheap. he`s in bognor regis this week & cant get to a computer so i just called him to tell him the sad news. bugger me he said. how ironic is that. only thing now tho is when i pull the 45 from the sleeve her passing will spring to mind.. a very very sad day

dave

stuck in belfast , job finished , with bugger all to do but sit in an internet cafe

Social source share

Very Sad news indeed.....agree with the above her unreleased LP and subsequent giving up on recording was one of the soul scenes greatest losses.

RIP Sandra x

SANDRA WRIGHT - I'M NOT STRONG ENOUGH TO LOVE YOU AGAIN -

My favourite track as well mate, tends to get overshadowed by all the other wonderful tracks

Social source share

Ironic how when certain records reach anthemic status on a dance music scene one can be in danger of taking them for granted. That's a trap I know I've sometimes fallen into with tracks like "I'll Come Running Back" and "Midnight Affair". Played both last night along with the rest of the album to mark Sandra's sad passing and have to say that the goosebumps came again, just like they did all those years ago upon first hearing. The Demon album must rank with any of the great achievements in the Southern Soul canon. Genuinely astonishing music which all those involved can be extremely proud of. It's heartwarming that such an otherwise lost masterpiece could indeed see a full release and ensuing acclaim within the artist's lifetime.

Sandra Wright truly was an exceptional talent. Rest in peace.

Social source share

My favourite track as well mate, tends to get overshadowed by all the other wonderful tracks

Sanda's version of this track is awesome and rapidly became my favourite on the album. Just listen to the opening line of the second verse,

" The day you left me, I asked God to let me die". It's surely one of the most sincere and poignant deliveries in our whole ocean of deep soul.

R.I.P Sandra and thank you.

Social source share

Played Midnight affair at the Attic the other week, always reminds me of the early Southport Weekenders-then the "Lost" album was found-every track brilliant soul music-Stax at its best.

A very sad end to someone who should have been destined to greater things.

RIP sandra

Rob & karen

Social source share

That about sums it up Eddie.......!

SANDRA WRIGHT R.I.P.

"But The Feeling Was Gone"

the sad loss of Sandra Wright now makes this statement more Poignant!

Hey Bull, a sad loss mate.

Let's not forget that (despite those great sleeve notes) Sandra had a superb career in music for the past 25+ years.

After a time performing in Nashville she became lead singer of a group called 'Bordello' before moving up to Vermont in 1992 and forming the 'Sandra Wright Band'. She recorded and performed until very recently with them and her 'Shake You Down' album from 1995 is a pretty good raunchy blues affair with 'Payin' The Price' being a particular favourite.

She was only 61, still had the voice and was even performing this New Years Eve!

What a pity we never got her over on this side of the pond.

Cheers,

Sean

Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

Very sad news---i,d have to echo all thats been said.The unreleased (Later Demon) L.P. IS THE ONE I PUT ON WHEN I WANT TO laze in the bath for a while---I,LL COME RUNNING BACK,Sha la la bandit,Wounded woman and my fave --"I,m not strong enough" are just Southern Soul perfection and rank with Doris Duke,and the James Govan albums.

Another one joins the big weekender in the sky

R.I.P. Sandra

Tony and Rani Coleby

Social source share

WHAT A START TO THE YEAR ALREADY WE HAVE LOST WILLIE MITCHELL

AND NOW SANDRA WRIGHT AND NEWS COMMING IN THAT TEDDY PENDERGRASS AS DIED

AS A TRIBUTE WE WILL BE DOING ANOTHER TWO HOUR SPECIAL OM SUNDAY FEATURING SANDRA AND TEDDY

TUNE IN BETWEN 8-00PM AND 10-PM UK TIME

IF YOU MISSED LAST WEEKS SHOW A TWO HOUR TRIBUTE TO WILLIE MITCHELL IT WAS THE BEST SHOWS EVER SOME OF THE BEST MUSIC YOU WILL EVER HEAR CHECK OUT THE PLAY LIST ON www.therighttrack.org.uk

Harry & Diana

The Right Track Soul Show

Salford City Radio 94.4 fm

Sunday nights 8.00 pm - 10.00 pm

www.salfordcityradio.org

email: [email="righttrack@salfordcityradio.org"

]righttrack@salfordcityradio.org

]https://www.therighttrack.org.uk

Studio Number: 0161 793 2944 / 2942

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mrs norman maine

AS A TRIBUTE WE WILL BE DOING ANOTHER TWO HOUR SPECIAL OM SUNDAY FEATURING SANDRA AND TEDDY

TUNE IN BETWEN 8-00PM AND 10-PM UK TIME

So sad to hear the news about Sandra. RIP Ms. Wright.

Will have a listen to the show Harry- I presume I can access it via the internet, as I missed the original broadcast?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!