Doris Duke - I'm A Loser (Charly R&b Re-Issue)

Guest BabyHuey

Guest BabyHuey

Hello again. I recieved in the post this morning a copy of Doris Duke - Im a Loser. This copy is a 1981 reissue on UK label Charly R&B. I am disappointed to say the least. For some reason the songs seem to have a much faster tempo than that of the tracks on the 2005 CD reissue.

I played the LP and the CD reissues at the same time and the LP definately has a faster tempo. Does anyone know if the original LP on Canyon has a faster tempo than the 2005 CD reissue? The LP only cost me £5 and is in immaculate condition, just wondering if its worth sourcing the original on Canyon.

At the moment the CD version beats the LP reissue for me. g.gif

Thanks for any info you guys can provide.

The LP in question:

https://i.ebayimg.com/08/!Biqt6mQ!Wk~$(KGrHqEOKkUEsmeHNcjEBLQNgKmssw~~_12.JPG

Edited by BabyHuey
Social source share

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hello again. I recieved in the post this morning a copy of Doris Duke - Im a Loser. This copy is a 1981 reissue on UK label Charly R&B. I am disappointed to say the least. For some reason the songs seem to have a much faster tempo than that of the tracks on the 2005 CD reissue.

I played the LP and the CD reissues at the same time and the LP definately has a faster tempo. Does anyone know if the original LP on Canyon has a faster tempo than the 2005 CD reissue? The LP only cost me £5 and is in immaculate condition, just wondering if its worth sourcing the original on Canyon.

At the moment the CD version beats the LP reissue for me. g.gif

Thanks for any info you guys can provide.

The LP in question:

https://i.ebayimg.com/08/!Biqt6mQ!Wk~$(KGrHqEOKkUEsmeHNcjEBLQNgKmssw~~_12.JPG

sIMPLES - get the original either Canyon or Uk issue on Mojo

Its heavy wonderful and deep - superb album which you obviously know but a m8 of mine also reckons the Charley album is a right charlie as well. Get the orinal then u cant go wrong! :lol:

Social source share

Guest BabyHuey

I think the problem was my turntable was running too fast. Changed the speed and it now syncs up with the CD.

The reissue isnt too bad, sounds a little too clean for my liking though.

Overall I'm pretty happy :thumbup:

On the lookout for "A legend in her own time" now.

Edited by BabyHuey
Social source share

Guest BabyHuey

Which IMO along with I'm A Loser, is sheer perfection in terms of soulfulness..........

Any idea how much I should be paying for a copy of 'A Legend in her Own Time'? Either original US/UK or reissue. Can't find any finished auctions on Ebay.

Also does anyone know if "By the time I get to phoenix" from 'A legend in her own time' was released as a single? g.gif

If you like these then I recommend "Too Many People In One Bed" by Sandra Phillips and "In between Tears" by Irma Thomas, both produced by Jerry Williams aka Swamp dogg and in the same vein.

Thanks. I'll have a listen to these when I get a chance. Need to start listening to some actual Swamp Dogg albums as well.

Edited by BabyHuey
Social source share

If you like these then I recommend "Too Many People In One Bed" by Sandra Phillips and "In between Tears" by Irma Thomas, both produced by Jerry Williams aka Swamp dogg and in the same vein.

Kent released these great CD's

https://www.acerecord...59&release=7643

https://www.acerecord...59&release=4726

The Sandra Phillips part of the CD is a straight re-issue or her Canyon LP and the Bette Williams stuff is mainly her Gregar stuff, plus a few extra's.

The Irma Thomas is the Canyon to Fungus stuff + some extra's

They are well worth a purchase.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest BabyHuey

What is the deal with these Charly R&B reissues? I just got a sealed copy of 'Love Trails' by Ann Sexton also a reissue from Charly and it kind of sounds a bit too clean.

I'm not sure what to think of these yet. rolleyes.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!