Guest James Trouble

• Replies 96
  • Views 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

This is probably the most arrogant, self-indulgent post I've ever read on here.

Who the flying f*ck are you to say when and where others can and can't listen to the music they love.

Who are you to say that anyone who did other things rarther than going to niters in the 80s and has returned to whatever fooking do they choose somehow doesn't count to this scene now.

Who the tw*tting hell are you to say that someone who loves soul music but only listens on the web is any less a soul lover than you!!!

In fact who the sodding hell are you!!!!.

KTF.

Drew.

He's James Trouble Drew. That's T-R-O-U-B-L-E to all the ignoramuses out there who may be too thick to get it whilst living their boring humdrum lives.....

Interesting thread this. I was watching from afar and not going to comment on anything due to past history between us but, hey presto, I've been sucked in....

....and that my friends, is what's known as 'Social Networking'.

Good topic James. It's inspired me to start interacting even more 'cos this thread is fascinating..........

Ian D :D

Social source share

it's so awesome that you think that by making the music more available it makes it pointless and the way to preserve the legacy of "forgotten young black American soul music" is to censor it so that it's only available in soul clubs. how self-absorbed in your scene and divorced from reality do you have to be to think that? I'm sure the artists would rather stay in obscurity with their records covered up under a piece of paper in a dark nightclub than actually be enjoyed by people on their ipods, cars, computers, reissued onto CD, etc. and maybe even get paid royalties and eventually do shows. You're really doing them a favor.

You can argue for keeping music in clubs, etc., for your own specific reasons in preserving your scene but don't pretend you're somehow preserving the music that way or the legacy of the artists, what a joke.

Well, hey, things haven't always been hunky dory between myself and Boba (which was fairly well documented at the time) but I tend to agree with him on the above points.

Social source share

A not very interesting post but it highlights some important points.

If old soul music was only listened to on ipods, computers and in cars there would be no society or culture surrounding it. I think most commentators on the Northern Soul Scene recognise that it is about more than just the music, it is socially and culturally more important than simply being about preserving old music for people to listen to in their cars or on the train while they slowly live out their mundane existance, before they die and are forgotten about, having contributed nothing but the taxes they pay to the society they live in.

That is the important theme of this thread. How does the internet and social networking sites contribute to, or degrade, what makes the "Northern Soul Scene" such a special place.

Hard for a Yank in a car to understand, maybe :hatsoff2:

Haha LOL. Those Yanks just don't have a clue do they?

Congratulations James. You've just created a new internet phenomenon called Anti-Social Networking and, boy, are you the guy to head it up!

Social source share

James, I remember that night after Deep funk when we stayed at Keb's and you and Keb sat at his PC late into the next day whilst he 'educated you' about northern using Soulclub to point out the tunes you ought to be buying. It was a sort of strangely portentious Darth Vader/Frankenstein type scene : a monster being created right there at that computer, all done with a few clicks of a mouse. :laugh: Don't underestimate the power of the internet in creating tomorrow's nightclubbing monsters. :smile:

Haha. Genius mate. :thumbup:

Sheer poetry and a perfect demonstration of the power of the Internet thus confirming the whole point that James was trying to make in the first place.........

Wow. Whatta thread...........

Social source share

Has anyone on here got into 'the scene' through social network sites?

Absolutely James. The social network site that first alerted me to the beauty of Northern Soul was a hub in a place called Cleckheaton in West Yorkshire in the early 70's which had a Soul Night every Wednesday night.

However, in those days, they called Social Networking sites pubs.........

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

I've got into social networking sites through this scene... so many old friends from St Ives, Peterborough , EASC, 100 club, that I've tracked down through this site and Faecesbook etc.. Are we the twisted nutters in the real world you mention , James ? Funny, the older elements and nearly everybody on this scene from my experience enjoy themselves, are respectful and humble ( crackers too, a lot of us ) ... The concept of self promotion on the scene has always been regarded with suspicion as people in the scene for personal motives only have always been frowned upon...

I'm still confused as to what your real motives are for these posts, James. Have you a new night in the offing or trying to repair self- inflicted credibility damage. Social networking damaging the scene.. odd thought.. irrelevant I think.

I find your namechecking of venues like Stafford and Wigan that you never attended a bit bizarre too..

You resisted Northern for years telling Keb, myself, Ian and anyone who would listen how rubbish it was and how funk, then disco then rockabilly was more exciting.. Your real motivation has always been your overwhelming desire to be a top DJ on a scene, no matter what ...

I hope this post doesn't come across as a personal James bashing exercise, its not.. I just find it all a bit too anno domini JT and please remember me and my nights.. Get back to loving the music and loving this brilliant scene for all its plus points and more than that the legacy of incredible music the soul artists have left.. Peace !

Hey, a personal James Trouble personal bashing excercise is fine by me LOL.

It's just another one of the downsides to the Internet, Social Networking Sites and The Northern Soul Scene revolution mate. Character Assassination at the click of a mouse can be a potential hazard and cause a lot of stress if you're not careful.

I suffered a similar situation last year so I know what I'm talking about..........I believe I was called a 'chancer' by certain parties............

Social source share

Guest proudlove

Yep. Thread of the year so far for me. Incredible stuff.........

Ian D biggrin.gif

Ian,two words on this thread from me................Pretentious.............moi?

Steve

Social source share

As with most of the threads you instigate, I regularly find myself trying to understand what you're trying to achieve. Most seem to be scripted to provoke polar views and just antagonise, rather than promote debate and thoughtful and positive discussion.

This latest thread seems to be no different. To infer that social networking might be detrimental to the club scene, and even a contributory cause to reducing numbers attending club nights (which is not a trend I recognise, but anyway) is just another cynical attempt to provoke.

I would think it far more likely that social networking, and this site specifically has promoted greater interest in the club scene, and in particular the greater exposure of fresher music to encourage venue attendance. Sure there'll be plenty that'll be happy to get their fix from Soul Source and other sites, without feeling the need to attend club nights, but I don't see anything wrong with that. They will almost certainly contribute new music for others more inclined to get their soul fix at venues, and still indirectly promote and be involved in the scene.

To sum up, it's not case of either/or, they're complimentary.

C'mon Wrongcrowd. Don't be so naive. Anyone who creates a name for themselves by calling themselves 'Trouble' is obviously vying for effect surely?

Trouble is his business, Trouble is his game - you must know the tune LOL....

Why would you call yourself Trouble anyway?

To me that would suggest a predisposition towards creating an unsettling atmosphere and who really wants that......?

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest Lobster Madras

Mmm. Why? What's he done wrong?

Ian D biggrin.gif

I'm still scratching my head on that one too, Ian...

Edited by Lobster Madras
Social source share

Let's face it,

The internet is here and it's here to stay and will get stronger as time goes on

The Northern scene is here and it's here to stay and will get stronger as time goes on, savvy?

Both separate forces and both as strong as each other, and both compliment each other as much as each other.

There are simple reasons that venues are becoming quieter,

1 - Too much going on, we used to travel miles in the early days cos if you wanted to here the music we had no choice., now look at the events, there's one or more going on just down the road from you every week.

2 - Many or most of the folk that used to travel are now too old, have ties, have families to support or are simply skint and can't afford to, and the last reason goes for many of those who weren't around at the time too.

3 - Back in the day there was a lot more unity then now, it was a scene of love, not just of the music, but of the venues, and the people that attended. Now there seems to be a lot more animosity to people who like a different style of Northern, to newbies and those trying to get into the scene, to people that have their own opinions etc.

The internet can not be blamed for the downturn in attendencies, if anything it's bound to help, I mean if you want to know whats going on where? what's for sale where? what's big? what's new? Where's the first place you look?

Great thread BTW

Edited by steveluigi
Social source share

Let's face it,

The internet is here and it's here to stay and will get stronger as time goes on

The Northern scene is here and it's here to stay and will get stronger as time goes on, savvy?

Both separate forces and both as strong as each other, and both compliment each other as much as each other.

There are simple reasons that venues are becoming quieter,

1 - Too much going on, we used to travel miles in the early days cos if you wanted to here the music we had no choice., now look at the events, there's one or more going on just down the road from you every week.

2 - Many or most of the folk that used to travel are now too old, have ties, have families to support or are simply skint and can't afford to, and the last reason goes for many of those who weren't around at the time too.

3 - Back in the day there was a lot more unity then now, it was a scene of love, not just of the music, but of the venues, and the people that attended. Now there seems to be a lot more animosity to people who like a different style of Northern, to newbies and those trying to get into the scene, to people that have their own opinions etc.

The internet can not be blamed for the downturn in attendencies, if anything it's bound to help, I mean if you want to know whats going on where? what's for sale where? what's big? what's new? Where's the first place you look?

Great thread BTW

=============

low attendances never bothered me...as long the musics great,,dancefloors good and likeminded people are in the same company ,,,its still the ultimate experience imo...stick with it james,.,,the first 25 years are the best!!!

looking forward to ure spot at Barnsley btw

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Don't think he knew what hit him when he did this thread.

Nothing we can do to stop the internet but i am sure if he could he would do it so we can all go back to whatever year ie 1964 - 80's when the scene was alive.

got to admit a funny thread

Social source share

Without the internet the Northern scene would be smaller now than it was post-Wigan. It's undoubtedly the best thing ever to happen to NS. Not so much now, but it was the catalyst for the big revival of 1998 to 2002 which bought back thousands of 'lost' soulies. The ones who stayed on have made the scene vibrant again. So basically the early pioneers of this like Mick Fitz, Martin Thomson, Greg Tormo, Mike Hughes, (ME) people like that - we are the saviours of Northern Soul :D:thumbsup:

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

The internet - good question.

It brings out the best and worst in some people.

It is so easy to hide behind the keyboard, and type more than you would normally say.

If it wasn't for the internet, I would not have found out what a lot of records I loved were. (you should see my bits of paper, back of beer mats & note books with scribbled lines of records in hopes of finding out what it was after the event.

I think its great for me. I have a business & family committments, so do not get to go to many soul events.

Psmile.gifthumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

So do you feel that soul-source can be compared to one of the great venues? Is it as influential and as important to the scene as for example Stafford was?

Is soul-source the most important venue on the northern soul scene in the past 10 years?

Without the internet the Northern scene would be smaller now than it was post-Wigan. It's undoubtedly the best thing ever to happen to NS. Not so much now, but it was the catalyst for the big revival of 1998 to 2002 which bought back thousands of 'lost' soulies. The ones who stayed on have made the scene vibrant again. So basically the early pioneers of this like Mick Fitz, Martin Thomson, Greg Tormo, Mike Hughes, ME - we are the saviours of Northern Soul :D:thumbsup:

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

So do you feel that soul-source can be compared to one of the great venues? Is it as influential and as important to the scene as for example Stafford was?

I honestly do think that it is, especially as a medium for hearing new sounds and just simply having everything in one place.

Social source share

Guest soulmaguk

As numbers attending venues in the UK falls, as I believe has been occuring for the past couple of years at least, how important is the internet and social networking sites (including soul-source) to maintaining the robust ties that have built up over many years between devotees fo the Northern Soul scene in the UK?

At the same time can we ask how much damage is being done to the foundations and longevity of the Northern Soul scene by the internet and social network sites, the convinient window on our desktops, the easy quick soul fix from the click of the mouse, the unknown soul sounds through the head phones and loud bold type rantings of opinion or syncophant venue reports from those who perhaps should not be allowed to have their voises heard over others who know better but type in a smaller font?

I think that all social attitudes and thinking have changed with the digital revolution that's hit the world, people are clued up about all manner of material they are interested in that they can access readily from the web.

A long , long time ago before man had web, one boy wanted to go all-night dancing and used to listen the tall, tall stories of a traveller from his own village about all-night dancing and extreme merriment made by other same/like minded villagers. But the stories were false, the traveller was only saying the all-night dancing was good because he had makened a deal to marry the chief's daughter from just one of the all-night village dances, where in fact there were many better all-night stomp parties around. And the traveller also felt the power that he could decide for our village which village we would to go stomping....

So many years beyond into the future now, the interweb provided the boy with knowledge to choose by, and with reading many different broad angled stories of merriment he could choose the bestest ever stomp fest to go to. The End.

Last message from me to all you Facebookers, stop posting shite records up, and just stick to the good ones.

Social source share

It was the internet that got me onto the soul scene via the old KTF e-mailing list.

I made a lot of good friends and acquaintances through there and we used to hang out in Mick Fitz's Night Owl chatroom and have some great laughs.

Then I had heart trouble (and I don't mean the Parliaments 45) and took 6 years off due to that and other personal circumstances and only recently started going out again.

Now either no one knows me or doesn't remember me so the last few nights I've attended I've kinda felt a bit lonely despite the music being great. I miss the whole social side of things. It's good to use sites like this one to catch up on what's going on and long may it continue.

Gordy (ex-Newcastle, now Barnsley - did his knee in at Lougborough Uni while spinning if anyone remembers lol)

Social source share

It was the internet that got me onto the soul scene via the old KTF e-mailing list.

I made a lot of good friends and acquaintances through there and we used to hang out in Mick Fitz's Night Owl chatroom and have some great laughs.

Then I had heart trouble (and I don't mean the Parliaments 45) and took 6 years off due to that and other personal circumstances and only recently started going out again.

Now either no one knows me or doesn't remember me so the last few nights I've attended I've kinda felt a bit lonely despite the music being great. I miss the whole social side of things. It's good to use sites like this one to catch up on what's going on and long may it continue.

Gordy (ex-Newcastle, now Barnsley - did his knee in at Lougborough Uni while spinning if anyone remembers lol)

A bit like the wipeout you did at Prestwich:hatsoff2: Gordy. ooh by the way looked for you at the metrodome

wicksy and still on ktf:shhh:

Social source share

Has anyone on here got into 'the scene' through social network sites?

I've just realised I did!

I'm old enough to have been there first time round, I heard NS and went to a couple of local nights, I even went to Wigan once (about 1975) but was never really "on the scene". I lived in York at the time and going to York Soul Club these days I know nobody that I could/would have known in 1975.

In 1995 I was working in Camden and for my wife's birthday I went into one of the record shops and bought some original soul LP's for her (Sam Cooke, Marvin Gaye etc). She has always liked soul music and even has a small collection of NS boots from the 70's. I didn't collect records really though I did have some LPs.

Listening to the LP's and Helen's bootlegs got me hooked; I even put up a website called "Our Northern Souls" (geddit? - we were living in London). More for doing the website to be honest, the tinterweb was still relatively a novelty then.

I joined the internet mailing list "keepingthefaith", conversed with other people who had been into Northern Soul for ages, heard new music (to me), bought some records off Pete Smith (he sent me a tape and list of records no more than a tenner) and went from there.

1997 saw me meeting Jo and Martin - we had only conversed in cyberspace - and These Old Shoes was born. I went to my first allnighter in 1998 - 100 club - at the age of 41.

I now talk almost as good a load of b*ll*cks about NS as the next man, although I am still not sure of the difference between an oldie and a newie.

So I got into Northern Soul via the Internet and social networking!

Cheers

Paul

Edited by paultp
Social source share

As others have already said, the internet is helping the scene. It's good place to find out what's going on, what the respected and bad venues are, arrange to meet up, obtain other people's views on the do that you attended, etc. One of the reasons for a downtown in attendances is that the music is so bloody old now. As each decade goes by, it sounds more and more dated and there aren't enough newies to sustain the interest. What used to be some kinda cool, hip underground scene with some fantastic, different dancing and wonderful records that you hadn't heard before and are difficult to obtain has now turned into over 40s nights with the same old music, fat geezers slowly shuffling and you can check out a song you're after on the web the day after. In fact, it's incredible that the scene has lasted as long has it has.

Social source share

Guest proudlove

As others have already said, the internet is helping the scene. It's good place to find out what's going on, what the respected and bad venues are, arrange to meet up, obtain other people's views on the do that you attended, etc. One of the reasons for a downtown in attendances is that the music is so bloody old now. As each decade goes by, it sounds more and more dated and there aren't enough newies to sustain the interest. What used to be some kinda cool, hip underground scene with some fantastic, different dancing and wonderful records that you hadn't heard before and are difficult to obtain has now turned into over 40s nights with the same old music, fat geezers slowly shuffling and you can check out a song you're after on the web the day after. In fact, it's incredible that the scene has lasted as long has it has.

Over 40's.........fat blokes slowly shuffling............same old music.............where?..........tell me so I can avoid like the plague,and yes I am over 40,well over 50 and there aint nothing slow about the way me and mine dance.........................

Social source share

For nearly 20 years the 1.30am - 8pm era of the 100 Club + other London & Herts soul nights were enough to keep us satisfied for soul in the south. We didn't know many people, but it was pure, we loved it and it had nothing to do with the internet.

Since the internet I have met many more people (including my girlfriend at Soul Rev :P). I have heard, discovered & owned many more sounds than perhaps I would have without the soul sites. Also found the appetite to travel up north again.

Both era's were good, difficult to choose between the two, one sort of morphed into the other.

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Over 40's.........fat blokes slowly shuffling............same old music.............where?..........tell me so I can avoid like the plague,and yes I am over 40,well over 50 and there aint nothing slow about the way me and mine dance.........................

Yep......Its an illness called Hyperactivity thats quite common in older people. Get down your Doctors quick smart......:thumbup:

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

C'mon Wrongcrowd. Don't be so naive. Anyone who creates a name for themselves by calling themselves 'Trouble' is obviously vying for effect surely?

Trouble is his business, Trouble is his game - you must know the tune LOL....

Why would you call yourself Trouble anyway?

To me that would suggest a predisposition towards creating an unsettling atmosphere and who really wants that......?

You Looking For Trouble.................?

You Come To The Right Place...........!

I reckon there`s a song in there somewhereshades

Social source share

that's really sad that you think that. I think the 'scene' has lasted for as long as it has is because it was cool and hip.

Sue

Social source share

Reading your post took me back to when I 1st stating going to soul do's, went to Blackpool Mecca in 1971 age 16.

We used to see Teddy Boys still going to Rock n Roll nights, they would have been late 20s or early 30s.

The point being we used to think they were sad, but here I am still going to soul do's at 54, nearly 40 years later.whistling

Social source share

Reading your post took me back to when I 1st stating going to soul do's, went to Blackpool Mecca in 1971 age 16.

We used to see Teddy Boys still going to Rock n Roll nights, they would have been late 20s or early 30s.

The point being we used to think they were sad, but here I am still going to soul do's at 54, nearly 40 years later.whistling

Ill bet those those Teds were dressed like teds too, do you go out in your in your 71 mecca garb:rolleyes:

Social source share

Ill bet those those Teds were dressed like teds too, do you go out in your in your 71 mecca garb:rolleyes:

Yes they were.:laugh:

They don't fit me anymore:no:

Can you imazine going to a do now not being able to wear jeans and got to wear shit and tie to get past the doormen.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

ohmy.gif

Nice observations Imber!!!! Anyone else?

Essentially, does the internet and social networking sites make the scene a better place, a nicer, richer place to be, more transparent and informative, easier to discover and gather information?

Or is it slowly eroding the social and culturally siginficant contribution the UK Northern Soul scene has made to the preservation and celebration of otherwise forgotten genius from young black America and turn it into something that is ultimatly pointless?

Is having 1000 Facebook friends and making 200 posts a month on soul-source, praising the newie over the oldie, og vinyl over reish, Stafford was better than Wigan debates , and listening to a few tunes over your head phones enough to justify your belief that you are better, more important than your mundane 9-5 monday to friday existance suggests?

Is your contribution to the world over the internet, sat in front of your computer screen getting fatter, lazier, older and more irritating to those who just pop onto the internet to find out what parties are going on this weekend significant enough for you to be able to look yourself in the eye and say "yes, if I died tomorrow the world would be a worse place for it!"?

To me it's good to see what's happening and interesting to see what tunes are in vogue (still can't believe that rock & roll gets played at Northern Soul venues ohmy.gif ). But then I've never really been a fully paid-up contributing memeber of either the "real" scene or the "virtual" one.

The one downer is that it's made vinyl a lot more expensive by virtue of Ebay etc.

However I cannot look myself in the eye and say that "yes, if I died tomorrow the world would be a worse place" ..... At best no effect whatsoever, although plenty of folks would think it'd be better without me :thumbsup:

Phil

Social source share