Info Needed On Two Randy Brown Tracks

Benji

Info needed on two Randy Brown tracks:

1) "Always in the mood" I know it's on Parachute 45, how much would I have to spend for a copy? 40-ish?

2) "If it's love that you want" What label? LP or 45? Only know it from an old Kent compilation

TIA thumbsup.gif

Benji

Edited by Benji
Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

1) "Always in the mood" I know it's on Parachute 45, how much would I have to spend for a copy? 40-ish?

2) "If it's love that you want" What label? LP or 45? Only know it from an old Kent compilation

TIA thumbsup.gif

Benji

Benji,

Thought you were about right or maybe a bit more for the single. If you're not fussed on format, the LP is better value as you should be able to pick one up for £20-30 and its not a one tracker

"If it's love that you want" was on the Stax LP Check it Out, which came out when Fantasy bought the back catalogue. They were all in the can and unreleased at the time. I think they date around the time of his Truth single, but this could be wrong. I don't think any singles were pulled from the LP when it eventually was released in 1981.

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

TIA thumbsup.gif

Benji

Seen the 45 of always in the mood anywhere from £25 upto £75

The lp for the 2nd single is Kent Trippin on your soul (various artists ) ,not sure it came out on any of his other lp's

Social source share

"If it's love that you want"

Bit of train spotting....

The above track was written by John Gary Williams.

There is also a version of Two Fools on the Stax LP which was also recorded by Willie Singleton and released on Truth.

I have to admit, he is one of my favourite artists.

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

im always in the mood was an old clifton halls spin around 1981/82 but has always picked up spins around south yorkshire over the years by the twins, the steele brothers or roz sykes.i`m glad its finally being recognised for the top tune it is.£40 about right but it is stock copy only. ive loaned the lp out to a mate on here til he gets a 45. might have to get it backwhistling

dave

Social source share

Should be possible to pick up copies of Randy Brown's Parachute, Chocolate City and Stax albums very cheaply from the likes of musicstack or gemm. As everyone has said all are worth getting, with my particular favourite being "Midnight Desire" on Chocolate City: "The Next Best Thing To Being There" is a legendary slowie and there are several very good dance tracks on it, particularly "Do You Love Me", a gorgeous midtempo track with one of Randy's best vocals.

For a time it seemed like he would become a massive star and could have been marketed as a successor to the likes of Teddy Pendergrass: his vocal quality was really right up there. For whatever reason that didn't happen and he remains, for me at least, under-recorded and somewhat under-appreciated.

The Stax album is a bit of an odd one: very much like the Staple Singers "This Time Around" it features re-recorded backing tracks behind archived vocals, so the production isn't vintage Stax or Muscle Shoals Sound as you would expect but instead fairly weedy early '80s music from players with, it seems, very little feel for soul music. A few of the tracks like "Sweet To The Bone" are actually vocals by The Newcomers as opposed to Randy Brown solo performances.

Social source share

was a want on here last september, sorted two spares copies out and still have one left Benji.

recommend his "Smoking Room" as well, cheapie.

pm me if still interested.

steve

TIA thumbsup.gif

Benji

Social source share

Would definitely recommend the album - every track a classic and equally split between ballads and dancers. For what its worth - a nice, clear pressing too!!!!!

Buy it....you won't regret it!!!!!

Steve.

This is simply an ESSENTIAL album for any lover of soul music. Just buy it. 'Too Little In Common' has to be up there as one of the most awesome ballads ever recorded.

Social source share

I've always loved his " Sweet Sweet Darling", and had some success with it as a floorfiller back at the original Albrighton in the 90's, yet you hardly ever hear this track mentioned because of the sheer quantity of great songs he's made.

Another example of an artist suffering because of too many good tracks to choose from maybe?

Social source share

Should be possible to pick up copies of Randy Brown's Parachute, Chocolate City and Stax albums very cheaply from the likes of musicstack or gemm. As everyone has said all are worth getting, with my particular favourite being "Midnight Desire" on Chocolate City: "The Next Best Thing To Being There" is a legendary slowie and there are several very good dance tracks on it, particularly "Do You Love Me", a gorgeous midtempo track with one of Randy's best vocals.

For a time it seemed like he would become a massive star and could have been marketed as a successor to the likes of Teddy Pendergrass: his vocal quality was really right up there. For whatever reason that didn't happen and he remains, for me at least, under-recorded and somewhat under-appreciated.

The Stax album is a bit of an odd one: very much like the Staple Singers "This Time Around" it features re-recorded backing tracks behind archived vocals, so the production isn't vintage Stax or Muscle Shoals Sound as you would expect but instead fairly weedy early '80s music from players with, it seems, very little feel for soul music. A few of the tracks like "Sweet To The Bone" are actually vocals by The Newcomers as opposed to Randy Brown solo performances.

Hopefully the Stax experts ( Rob Bowman perhaps ? ) can come on here and advise us of the true position, but I always surmised that those Stax LPs from the late 7Ts and early 8Ts on Randy Brown, the Staples and the Emotions (of previously unreleased material) were in fact finished tracks from the mid seventies which were ... let's say ... "surgically enhanced" with modern production devices to make them sound "of their time", not re-recorded or newly recorded rhythm tracks.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!