Bill Spoon, Arriving Soon

Hi All

Some times on my trips to the U.S. I meet someone and think on leaving them, 'What a lovely person, I must try and do something for them', my meeting with Bill Spoon had just that effect. Met up with him just about a year ago, at his home.

We spent about five hours chatting, playing music of his or that he had been involved in. Whilst doing this he played me a number of un-released 70's and 80's tracks that he had done with his life long friend Lou Ragland. Whilst digging through some records he had I came across a 10" acetate with three tracks that included 'Can't Wait (For The Weekend)'. Asked him if he would sell it, which he was happy to do, he also burned about 10 of the other tracks onto a CD.

Played the CD in the car for almost the rest of the trip over there, it was so compelling. When I got back thought this needs to see the light of day, but the project was to much for me, so contacted John Anderson and Dave Welding to see if they would be interested for their Soul Junction label. John and Dave also saw the merit of the material, so they got to work with Bill in puting together the material for release.

Dave sent me a email a few days ago to tell me the first element of the project was now nearly ready for release, a 45 with the stunning 'Can't Wait' on.

Bill for those that didn't know was once a member of the Cleveland group The Soulmates on Way Out records. Here is a little bio that Dave has put together.

So pleased to see this material hitting the streets.

Dave

William Franklin Bell-Weatherspoon (Bill Spoon) although originally a native of Bessemer, Alabama. Bill first began his performing career when his family relocated to Cleveland, Ohio.

In Cleveland Bill's earliest performances were with un-named street corner group which also included his close friend, Riki Dannison (a.k.a. Riki Sonda, the co-writer on" I Can't Wait"). This friendship was briefly interrupted by a stint in the military. Upon their return in1965 they rekindled their friendship and together with Leroy Elie and John Berry they formed the group known as the "Soulnotes" recording "How Long Will It Last" for Way Out records.

Following brief but unproductive spells with Stax records (Memphis) and Polydor records (L.A) Bill later returned to Cleveland. In 1979 a collaboration between Bill, Lou Ragland and West Coast producer Gene Dozier produced Bills most successful recording, a 45 single "Love Is On The Way" for Highland Records.

A decade of inactivity recording wise followed, before in 1990 Bill in partnership with Hense Powell and Herbert Santifer collaborated on the "Talk To Me" project.

This collaboration was to produce the "Talk To Me" album, a four track 12" single containing the previously mentioned "The One Who Really Loves You" and a 7" re-issue single of "Love Is On The Way" all on Hense Powell's Hense Forth Music Co label. The Hense Forth releases although receiving very little exposure or success in the USA, did go on to find a more appreciative audience within the U.K.

For further information please contact

John Anderson or Dave Welding

Tel: +44 (0)121 602 8115

E-mail souljunction@blueyonder.co.uk

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

• Replies 25
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Top marks for this Dave T thumbsup.gif

'I can't wait' is a really good record that will be definitely popular BUT I've a sneaky suspicion the B side of the 45 will make this a double sider to die for!

It's another unreleased late 60's/early 70's track that Bill originally put out in about 1990 on a 4 track 12". The track is of course the already in-demand 'I'm the one who really loves you' and the sound on the 45 is brighter than that of the 12". Someone's had a tinker with it and it sounds the DB's! I reckon the 45 will give this track another lease of life and of course ovo venues should be able to play it out too whistling.gif

Look out for them both at discerning Soul nights near you in the near future thumbsup.gif

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Brilliant sound, i have the 12" Hense Forth release and i've always loved, 'The One Who Really Loves You', as Steve says it would be great to see that 'tinkered' with and put on the flip, i want a copy now.

Brett

ps, another topic is asking about the internet in regards to soul music...Well this is the when the internet works, how else would i have heard about it, been able to hear it and thankfully be able later to purchase it... Outside of me being at the right venue at the right time, it's the sharing of the music,that works for me.

Well done Dave.

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

Brilliant sound, i have the 12" Hense Forth release and i've always loved, 'The One Who Really Loves You', as Steve says it would be great to see that 'tinkered' with and put on the flip, i want a copy now.

Brett

ps, another topic is asking about the internet in regards to soul music...Well this is the when the internet works, how else would i have heard about it, been able to hear it and thankfully be able later to purchase it... Outside of me being at the right venue at the right time, it's the sharing of the music,that works for me.

Well done Dave.

Wise words Brett.

Can't wait to get my hands on a copy!!

gary

Social source share

Hi Folks

Would like to thank all of you for your very positive comments regarding the forthcoming Bill Spoon release.We would also like to extend our thanks to the numerous people who have contacted us via pm or e-mail as to the availability of this release. The proposed release date is circa mid February, a more difinite announcement of the release date will be given once we are in possession of the 45's. Until then you can tune in to messrs Mick O'Donnell, Sean O'Conner, Andy Peebles, Mark Randle, Pete Young,Andy Jackson, Jerry Hipkiss,etc, etc to hear the track in it's entirety.

Not forgetting our roving spinners Plumby and Hampsey.

We've received a e-mail from Steve Hobbs over night ( another valued member of promotional team).

Quote:

"Thanks Guys,

For the best 70's discovery for god know's how long, unbelievable!

Tune's like this just make you glad to be alive"

Hobbsie

Dave Welding on behalf of Soul Junction.

Edited by Louise
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Every morning as I drive Malayka to work we hear Jerry (Hippo) Hipkis play it on GFM on his daily drive time show, it sound so good over the radio. Just show that quality will always come through, even if it does take 30 years for some tunes.

Extra Plug for Jerry, his show is great and you can hear it on line, he does a nice nine after nine northern set as well. Overall he plays a great mix of soul, jazz funk, boogie, soulful house and reggae every day. New release to classics, not that many show that will give you that daily.

Dave

Social source share

Every morning as I drive Malayka to work we hear Jerry (Hippo) Hipkis play it on GFM on his daily drive time show, it sound so good over the radio. Just show that quality will always come through, even if it does take 30 years for some tunes.

Extra Plug for Jerry, his show is great and you can hear it on line, he does a nice nine after nine northern set as well. Overall he plays a great mix of soul, jazz funk, boogie, soulful house and reggae every day. New release to classics, not that many show that will give you that daily.

Dave

Awwww thankx buddy...better plug Leons show as well :-0 ...seriously though, I know what you mean about it sounding good on the radio!

Edited by Jerry Hipkiss
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!