Fact Or Fiction

Guest ganesh

as collector who liked to pick up rare uk releases there were a couple i never saw - but only heard of - can anybody enlighten me as to whether they were just folklaw

the tracks were

the volumes - just can't help myself (i think is the right title) - uk Pama - released on american arts

sue lynne - don't pity me - irish emerald - was normally seen on the horrible orange uk RCA

also on the US front

Ascots - miss heartbreaker - mir-a-don - i'm sure i was told by somebody reputable that is was released on mir-a-don as well as (yellow label -can't remember - it was over 20 years back since i last brought a record)

finally uk rarities - forget the EMI demos - seen most of them over the years - anybody seen a polydor demo of edwin starr - i have faith in you --- or a plexium demo of soul joe clements - ever ever

Social source share

• Replies 30
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

as collector who liked to pick up rare uk releases there were a couple i never saw - but only heard of - can anybody enlighten me as to whether they were just folklaw

the tracks were

the volumes - just can't help myself (i think is the right title) - uk Pama - released on american arts

sue lynne - don't pity me - irish emerald - was normally seen on the horrible orange uk RCA

also on the US front

Ascots - miss heartbreaker - mir-a-don - i'm sure i was told by somebody reputable that is was released on mir-a-don as well as (yellow label -can't remember - it was over 20 years back since i last brought a record)

finally uk rarities - forget the EMI demos - seen most of them over the years - anybody seen a polydor demo of edwin starr - i have faith in you --- or a plexium demo of soul joe clements - ever ever

Being useless on UK and European releases I can't help you....

but..Ascots - Miss Heartbreaker on Mir-A-Don....absolutely, though I've not seen yellow, only purple.

Social source share

the tracks were

also on the US front

Edited by Naughty Boy
Social source share

The only Volumes I've ever seen on Pama was I Love You.

wasnt this released on UK Fontana

volumes on uk fontana. dont think it came out on pama. never seen sue lynne on irish emerald. i have the bbc`s library copy on uk orange rca victor from 1969.think the yellow label refered to was M.B.S which most copies are on although its a toughie on miradon ( pink/purple )

edwin starr white demo has sold for £500+ but half a dozen have surfaced since jm auctioned a copy a couple of years ago.never seen a plexium demo. seen a few issues of soul joe tho as cheap as £60 recently

dave

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

Being useless on UK and European releases I can't help you....

but..Ascots - Miss Heartbreaker on Mir-A-Don....absolutely, though I've not seen yellow, only purple.

remembered the yellow label now - more common - MBS!

Social source share

Here's the Edwin Starr. A bit battered but that's how I found it. Plays fine though.

post-13983-12635747348245_thumb.jpgpost-13983-12635747656303_thumb.jpg

Found in a bookshop in Brighton many years ago for £6.

Kev

thanks - collecting for 15 years and never saw one - generally found the fontana, philips, mercury and polydor semos harder to find than most - even if not so in demand

Social source share

thanks - collecting for 15 years and never saw one - generally found the fontana, philips, mercury and polydor semos harder to find than most - even if not so in demand

I was told by our kid, Dave Moore who used to be an avid British collector that the polydor demo's were the toughest as they only did a 500 run on them. I recall him saying the hardest british one to track down was Tony Middleton.

Kev

Social source share

Here's the Edwin Starr. A bit battered but that's how I found it. Plays fine though.

post-13983-12635747348245_thumb.jpgpost-13983-12635747656303_thumb.jpg

Found in a bookshop in Brighton many years ago for £6.

Kev

thanks for posting the edwin demo never seen one before im so binking jealous now,angry.gifunsure.gifph34r.gif

has 45cellar on here seen it yet if not im sure he will be the same as me,!!!thumbup.gif

Social source share

the tracks were

also on the US front

There was a picture of the Volumes on Pama in Soul Cargo (many years agosad.gif ) but I think it had been "doctored" & doesn't exist g.gif

Social source share

There was a picture of the Volumes on Pama in Soul Cargo (many years agosad.gif ) but I think it had been "doctored" & doesn't exist g.gif

Dave

I still say I'm sure I've seen it. I remember pulling out of a box down the 100club around 1986/7. Didn't think much about it at the time because it was doo wop.

Wasn't it on the Pama album as well?

Kev

Social source share

thanks for posting the edwin demo never seen one before im so binking jealous now,angry.gifunsure.gifph34r.gif

has 45cellar on here seen it yet if not im sure he will be the same as me,!!!thumbup.gif

Yes Mate, I've Seen It.

In Over 40 Years I've Only Ever Held 1 Polydor White DEMO.

That Was Approx 1970 When I Found & Left A Title (Non-Soul) In A Second Hand Shop.

Only Just Started Collecting & Remember Thinking Afterwards Should Have Bought That, Stunning Label.

A Point In Time That Makes Me Realise Just How Special These DEMO Are.

Would Love To Own A Copy, Yes Indeed.

Social source share

Yes Mate, I've Seen It.

That Was Approx 1970 When I Found & Left A Title (Non-Soul) In A Second Hand Shop.

Only Just Started Collecting & Remember Thinking Afterwards Should Have Bought That, Stunning Label.

yes.gif

Social source share

Yes Mate, I've Seen It.

roger,yes im the same as you i also spotted a non soul uk 45 polydor demo in a junk shop around 1972 in cambridge but did not give it a second thought a quality looking demo imo,!!!,im still jealous,angry.gifunsure.gifph34r.gif

Social source share

and edwin uk demo,unsure.gifph34r.gif

being a bit of a trainspotter any one else notice the release numbers of two class polydor uk demos/issues edwin and t middleton,bm 56702 and bm 56704,what was in between these two,sorry ill get me hat etc,g.gifunsure.gifph34r.gif

post-9436-1263583291253_thumb.jpg

post-9436-12635836332676_thumb.jpg

Edited by de-to
Social source share

I stand corrected. (Another one I must have dreamt).hatsoff2.gif

Kev

as for sue lynn , back in 1980 me and a mate used to go junk shoppin in stockport town centre every saturday,among the shops we always went in the co-op,they had a wire basket with deleted 45's@ 10p each, on this occasion another mate tagged along ,the following week he got to the co-op before us and found 3 or 4 sue lynns cheeky bugger !! . anyway im sure they were irish rca releases

Social source share

as for sue lynn , back in 1980 me and a mate used to go junk shoppin in stockport town centre every saturday,among the shops we always went in the co-op,they had a wire basket with deleted 45's@ 10p each, on this occasion another mate tagged along ,the following week he got to the co-op before us and found 3 or 4 sue lynns cheeky bugger !! . anyway im sure they were irish rca releases

thanks for all the info - steve mochan on the reading at the moment are you from wales orignally

Social source share

a nice tony middleton uk polydor demo from popsike,unsure.gifph34r.gif

now when i was collecting all those years ago that was a uk release i really wanted - got a paris blues on mala, but "to the ends" was big at the time and i felt over priced on us mgm - funny enough at the time i probably would have got the uk demo for much the same price as a us copy then as nobody wanted uk - even though it's tons rarer - but what a voice that man had

Social source share

being a bit of a trainspotter any one else notice the release numbers of two class polydor uk demos/issues edwin and t middleton,bm 56702 and bm 56704,what was in between these two,sorry ill get me hat etc,:chinstroke::unsure::ph34r:

I know this may already have been covered in another post,

but not sure why some have BM before the Number.

My copy obviously doesn't.

Polydor_5602a.jpgPolydor_5602b.jpg

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!