We Got Love - Teddy Pendergrass

I'm listening to a lot of Teddy Pendergrass this week for a tribute section on Sunday's show and I've stumbled back into the previously unissued storming "We Got Love" from the "Talk Of The Grapevine" CD from 2004.

Not only is it 100% vintage Northern Soul but it sounds like it was recorded around '67 or '68. There's no info in the booklet but the writer is Jesse Herring. I just wondered whether if this was his first recorded performance?

Anyone have any info pretty please.......?

Are you out there Gary or Paul.....?

Ian D :D

Social source share

• Replies 10
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Think there are two other unissued from around the same time and all three are available on the Uplook Story from Grapevine. I can remember Andy Dyson getting the You Got Love from US to play out about ten years ago along with some unissued (at the time) Ronnie Walker tracks.

Social source share

Think there are two other unissued from around the same time and all three are available on the Uplook Story from Grapevine. I can remember Andy Dyson getting the You Got Love from US to play out about ten years ago along with some unissued (at the time) Ronnie Walker tracks.

Great stuff Chalky. Just checked the CD and the sleeve notes say it was one of a 3 track session he recorded in New Jersey for Uplook Records. No dates but I figure around '67 ish. "You Got Love" is the Northern one but "Should I Stay Or Should I Go" is no slouch on the ballad stakes...

He must have been around 17 when he laid those vocals down then! Awesome. He sounds much older.....

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

i've often wondered if soul groove- teddy & the fingerpoppers- arctic was teddy pendergrass, recorded in '68, harold melvin had a single on arctic the year before and teddy joined him in '69, it does sound like him, anyone know anything either way?

I bet it was! Teddy was a drummer and I remember that as a bit of a stomper........are there any vocals on it?

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Dave Thorley was telling me the other week that Charles Mintz had done backing vocals on this session- wow would like to have been a fly on the wall for that one! I'm sure Dave has more info......

Dave

Not alot more to add, Charles told me about the session when we met him a few years ago. He said it was at United Artists east coast studio. As it seems to have come from Uplook, the story does seem to hold water.

Social source share

I can't decide if it's him or not but he was a drummer at the time so I bet that was him hanging around Arctic looking for a break. I'll have to get my Philly books out now.............

TEDDY AND THE FINGERPOPPERS - SOUL GROOVE - ARCTIC -

Ian D biggrin.gif

i've had the record for years and have tried to find out one way or the other but keep drawing a blankhuh.gif

Social source share

Not alot more to add, Charles told me about the session when we met him a few years ago. He said it was at United Artists east coast studio. As it seems to have come from Uplook, the story does seem to hold water.

So definitely Teddy then by the sound of it. One or two people were a bit sceptical about the authenticy 'cos there's not much documentation about Teddy's early career........

Cheers Dave!

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!