York Northern Soul & Motown Revue 16Th January 2010@

Illya

I Walked in the Club around 19:45hrs for an 20:00hrs start. Yes, they had started Dale was on first with Andy bellwood in the back ground and Mike Ward taping in the agenda into lap top which read

good.gif

20:00-21:00 Dale Byers Playing his Christmas presents nice sounds not tired but crisp and tight great spot

21:00-22:00 Andy Bellwood Nice Ska too Calipsoul tunes great and different set enjoyed it immensely. every record has it's story

22:00-23:00 Mike Ward some nice Motown sound along with the traditional sounds of the 6T's and 7T's got everyone going. :D

23:00-23:30 Little Av, Huge in the north kept the momentum going form the 3 other dj's her well balanced set with some really nice

tunes good.gif

23:30-00:15 Pete Jay WOW! WOW!!! :sleep3: This man can do the business From the classic you don't expect with a mild mix of Ska to the outrageous big beat he is the Dogs

00:15-01:15 Andy Hudson My set was a little bit of dis and a bit dat :sleep3:

The punters were great, pleasant, appreciative and knowledgeable and the reason we were there was to raise money for St Leonard's Hospice, I am not sure of the total at present, but it was just short £900 at last count. So a big pat on the back for every concerned.

A few special thanks to Amanda & Stuart Joplin, Soo & Chris Holmes good.gifgood.gif Andy Bellwood, Dale Byers, Mike Ward, Mel Hudson, Chris & Carlos Bear-soul, Pete & Av T & T @ YSC and my Mother for their kind donation of raffle prizes which raised a incredible £190 Huntington Club for the use of there facilities and use of there lovely room, which is second to no other

I may put a play list up later

Andy

Edited by philly dog
  • Replies 20
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

WELL DONE TO ANDY AND MIKE FOR ORGANISING THIS CHARITY EVENT IN AID OF ST LEONARD'S HOSPICE, YORK AND RAISING A MASSIVE £900!!!:hatsoff2:

THANKS TO ANDY FOR INVITING US OVER TO SPIN SOME TUNES - WE HAD A GREAT TIME. WILL POST PLAYLISTS LATER.thumbsup.gif

GREAT CROWD, ATMOSPHERE, VENUE AND ALL DJS PLAYED FANTASTIC SPOTS KEEPING THE DANCEFLOOR BUSY THROUGHOUT THE NIGHT. :thumbup: NICE TO SEE CHRIS MORGAN (BEARSOUL) AND CARLOS TRAVELLING ALL THE WAY FROM MANCHESTER TO SUPPORT THIS GREAT CAUSE. ALSO, GREAT CATCHING UP WITH LYNN AND MARTYN BIRD AND TRACEY AND TONY HATFIELD.:good:

AV & PETE

WELL DONE TO ANDY AND MIKE FOR ORGANISING THIS CHARITY EVENT IN AID OF ST LEONARD'S HOSPICE, YORK AND RAISING A MASSIVE £900!!!:hatsoff2:

THANKS TO ANDY FOR INVITING US OVER TO SPIN SOME TUNES - WE HAD A GREAT TIME. WILL POST PLAYLISTS LATER.thumbsup.gif

GREAT CROWD, ATMOSPHERE, VENUE AND ALL DJS PLAYED FANTASTIC SPOTS KEEPING THE DANCEFLOOR BUSY THROUGHOUT THE NIGHT. :thumbup: NICE TO SEE CHRIS MORGAN (BEARSOUL) AND CARLOS TRAVELLING ALL THE WAY FROM MANCHESTER TO SUPPORT THIS GREAT CAUSE. ALSO, GREAT CATCHING UP WITH LYNN AND MARTYN BIRD AND TRACEY AND TONY HATFIELD.:good:

AV & PETE

Well done to all concerned a fantastic achievement in raising such an amount for a very worthy cause. Sound like you all had a cracking night thumbsup.gif Try flipping the Joe & George over next time Av, ?

Don

Edited by DonKit

Wow – hats off to the York charity soul night promoters extraordinaire (Mike Ward & Andy Hudson) and all the wonderful & generous people who made this event so special.

Capacity crowd – standing room only (and it's a big venue).

Seems most of the York Soulies turned out for this one – nicely supplemented with quite a few from out of town. Great to see the lovely West's' from Goole, Chris & Carlos from Manchester and so many of our friends on the soul scene.

Atmosphere was fun fun fun all the way. If there had been a dance competition, it would have been won hands down by Tony Hatfield lol .

Music was a spread of across the eras and some sublime rarer/underplayed tunes – a perfect mix for such an event. Pete Jay was sensational taking us down memory lane with the 45s he spun @ The legendary Spinning Disc in Leeds Arcade in the 6ts (along with Jimmy Saville !!!)

Brill venue – massive wooden dance floor and an incredible amount raised, particularly as the promoters didn't hike up the admission cost.

Enjoyed it immensely – and I understand from the Mike & Andy more are in the offering – including a massive CHARITY alldayer in July .

Keep up the fantastic work guys

Will post play list later

SOULGALORE @

Crofton Community Centre, Middle Lane, Crofton

Wakefield. WF4 1LB

Friday 22nd January 2010

Guest DJs: Andy Bellwood & Dale Byers

Resident DJs: Paul Newton & Tony Jackson

8.00pm - 1.00am.....Entrance £3 OTD. Large Wooden Dance Floor.....Cheap Bar Prices

4th Friday in every month

For further information contact Paul tel 01924 895038 / 07749192499

E-mail: info@soulgalore.co.uk. Website: www.soulgalore.co.uk

Edited by andybellwood

Some of my tunes played in no order

MAYSA LEAK "THE BOTTLE" EXPANSION

R DEAN TAYLOR "LETS GO SOMEWHERE" MOTOWN REQ

GLADYS KNIGHT & THE PIPES "I HEARD IT THROUGH THE GRAPEVINE" MOTOWN REQ

ESTHER PHILIPS "WHAT A DIFFERENCE A DAY MAKES" KUDU REQ

SHOW STOPPERS "SHAKE YOUR MINI" BEACON

THE THIRD DEGREE "MERCY" ACID JAZZ REQ

TIMMY THOMAS "WHY CAN'T WE LIVE TOGETHER" MOJO

PAUL ANKA "I CAN'T HELP LOVING YOU" RCA REQ

BROTHER TO BROTHER "IN THE BOTTLE" PHILIPS REQ

JAMES FOUNTAIN "SEVEN DAY LOVER" PEECHTREE

GIL SCOTT HERON "LADY DAY & JOHN COLTRANE" FLYING DUTCHMAN

CURTIS MAYFIEID "MOVON UP" CURTOM REQ

NOEL McCALLA "BEGGIN" DIRECTION

WILLIE MITCHELL RIP "THE CHAMPION" HI

ANDY H

Guest yorks old boys

thanks for the raffle prize brilliant tea pot country for 4 looking forward to that, but on a even better note me been a big headed t/// traveling around the country doing soul every where, this came as a big suprise right on my door step the huntington wmc what an awesome night from start to finish a true vynel exprience and thats not bull s//t did not expect some off the tunes some rare and underplayed from some djs i did not expect to find in there box well done to you all i shall return for another gothumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gif if you have not been try it as cilla says suprise suprisebiggrin.gif and before i go a big well done to andy and mick top men top charitythumbup.gif

what a tune thumbup.gif

Ps didn't the Hudson young ladies do so well selling raffle tickets and what a fantastic piece of art work on this event's trade mark flyer (a 'Brocky'special )

GIL SCOTT HERON "LADY DAY & JOHN COLTRANE" FLYING DUTCHMAN, Andy It had me panting just playing it, Top tune. Brocky will be working on our next, she does a Sterling job, thanks Jo

Kenny,Thank you for those nice comments, I am glad you liked it. We will build on it and get it so if Carlsburg had done a soul night

Next event 23rd April 2010

Edited by philly dog

Andy & Mike

Top marks to you both & the rest of the crew who put in so much time & effort to make this a great night,can't believe how much was raised well done thumbup.gifthumbup.gif

Great mix of music (really enjoyed hearing a couple of ska type tunes) & friendly atmosphere with plenty of smiling faces.All dj's doing the biz with a full cross section of sounds to suite all tastes,Av just took top spot for me with a quality set of mixed tempos & eras thumbsup.gif

So looking forward to March for the next one.

Cheers

Martyn & Lynn

Play list (roughly in order)

Phyllis Dillon 'Perfidia'Treasure Island

Aretha 'One Step' featurecast re edit

Gabin feat Dee Dee Bridgewater 'Into my soul' Family Affair

Bits N Pieces 'Keep on running away' Nasco

Johnny Nash '(I'm so) Glad you're my baby' MGM - REQUEST

Cookin on Three Burners 'This Girl' (Freestyle) -REQUEST

Grover Mitchell 'What hurts' Vanguard - REQUEST

Eddie Lee Mattison 'Take your time' French Vouge

Invitations 'Watch out little girl ' MGM

Baby Earl & the Trinidads 'Back slop' SPQR

Faye Simmons 'Please tell me i'm yours' Senca

Rosebuds 'Say you'll be mine' Tower

Ben E King 'Gettin to me'

Azie Mortimer 'Bring back your love'

The Star Treks 'Gonna need magic' Veep

Ernestine Eady 'The change' Scepter

Maximillian 'You better' Magic Circle

Inez & Charlie Fox 'No Stranger to love' Musicor

The Lost Souls 'A secret of mine' Raven

Laura Lee 'To win your love' Tamla Motown - REQUEST

NORTH YORKSHIRE SOUL CLUB @

THE MAGNIFICENT RILEY SMITH HALL , TADCASTER nr YORK,

SAT 27TH March 2010. 7.30PM -1AM

Venue is the restored 1920s, art deco ballroom with a fantastic main room (reputedly largest wooden sprung dance floor in England), balcony & upstairs rare soul room

Resident DJs PAT BRADY, TONY HATFIELD, JOHN PARKER , COLIN WOOD, ANDY BELLWOOD, MARTYN BYRD & DALE BYERS

SPECIAL GUEST DJs MICK H & Eddie Wainwright .

FURTHER INFO, REVIEWS, PHOTOS ETC

https://www.imonmyway.me.uk/

Andy

Try to get it on British (Fontana I think???),bit more expensive but got a great B side.

Cheers

Martyn :lol:

I thought it was on Philips, :thumbsup: I will go back to my oricle. Thank you for coming, it was great to see you and Lynn, she is a treasure. or is it coricle and I'll see you at the other end of the Humber. Mel had a good day in Manchester, ssssh she was sat next to Trevski sssh! I bought the tickets well after the esquire, He also had a good time see you soon

Andy

PLAYLISTS:-

AV (11.00 - 11.30)

MARTHA REEVES AND THE VANDELLAS ~ I'LL FOLLOW YOU

EDDIE HOLMAN ~ I SURRENDER

JOE & GEORGE ~ NOONE LOVES YOU (REQUEST - PLAYED FOR DONKIT IN HIS ABSENCE)

JOE SIMON ~ I SEE YOU FACE

CONNIE STEVENS ~ TICK TOCK (REQUEST)

BONNIE HERMAN ~ HUSH DON'T CRY

ARABIANS ~ PLEASE TAKE A CHANCE ON ME

BUNNY SIGLER ~ FOR CRYING OUT LOUD

JELLY BEANS ~ YOU DON'T MEAN ME NO GOOD

ETHICS ~ I WANT MY BABY BACK

JNR WAKER & THE ALL STARS ~ I AIN'T GOING NOWHERE

3 CAPS ~ COOL JERK

SMOOVE ~ I CAN'T GIVE YOU UP

PETE (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER) (11.30 - 12.15)

LITTLE RICHARD ~ GET DOWN WITH IT

DEE DEE SHARP ~ COMING HOME BABY

OTIS REDDING ~ LOVING BY THE POUND

BUDDY MILES ~ WHAT DOES IT TAKE

SIDNEY BARNES ~ STANDING ON SOLID GROUND (REQUEST)

JUNE & DONNIE ~ WHAT'S THIS I SEE

LOCOMOTIVE ~ RUDY'S IN LOVE

DENISE LA SALLE ~ A LOVE REPUTATION

THE MAJORS ~ DOWN IN THE GHETTO

THE ATTRACTIONS ~ THAT GIRL IS MINE

DONI BURDICK ~ OPEN THE DOOR TO YOUR HEART

R DEAN TAYLOR ~ THERE'S A GHOST IN MY HOUSE (REQUEST)

MARVIN GAYE ~ I'LL BE DOGGONE

MARVIN GAYE ~ COME GET TO THIS

PETE MAY HAVE PLAYED A FEW MORE..BUT HE CAN'T REMEMBER!! (NOT AS ORGANISED AS ME LOL!!)shhh.gif

MARTYN THANKS FOR YOUR COMMENTS - YOUR TWENTY QUID IS IN THE POST!!laugh.gif

Edited by LittleAv

PLAYLISTS:-

AV (11.00 - 11.30)

MARTHA REEVES AND THE VANDELLAS ~ I'LL FOLLOW YOU

EDDIE HOLMAN ~ I SURRENDER

JOE & GEORGE ~ NOONE LOVES YOU (REQUEST - PLAYED FOR DONKIT IN HIS ABSENCE)

JOE SIMON ~ I SEE YOU FACE

CONNIE STEVENS ~ TICK TOCK (REQUEST)

BONNIE HERMAN ~ HUSH DON'T CRY

ARABIANS ~ PLEASE TAKE A CHANCE ON ME

BUNNY SIGLER ~ FOR CRYING OUT LOUD

JELLY BEANS ~ YOU DON'T MEAN ME NO GOOD

ETHICS ~ I WANT MY BABY BACK

JNR WAKER & THE ALL STARS ~ I AIN'T GOING NOWHERE

3 CAPS ~ COOL JERK

SMOOVE ~ I CAN'T GIVE YOU UP

PETE (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER) (11.30 - 12.15)

LITTLE RICHARD ~ GET DOWN WITH IT

DEE DEE SHARP ~ COMING HOME BABY

OTIS REDDING ~ LOVING BY THE POUND

BUDDY MILES ~ WHAT DOES IT TAKE

SIDNEY BARNES ~ STANDING ON SOLID GROUND (REQUEST)

JUNE & DONNIE ~ WHAT'S THIS I SEE

LOCOMOTIVE ~ RUDY'S IN LOVE

DENISE LA SALLE ~ A LOVE REPUTATION

THE MAJORS ~ DOWN IN THE GHETTO

THE ATTRACTIONS ~ THAT GIRL IS MINE

DONI BURDICK ~ OPEN THE DOOR TO YOUR HEART

R DEAN TAYLOR ~ THERE'S A GHOST IN MY HOUSE (REQUEST)

MARVIN GAYE ~ I'LL BE DOGGONE

MARVIN GAYE ~ COME GET TO THIS

PETE MAY HAVE PLAYED A FEW MORE..BUT HE CAN'T REMEMBER!! (NOT AS ORGANISED AS ME LOL!!)shhh.gif

MARTYN THANKS FOR YOUR COMMENTS - YOUR TWENTY QUID IS IN THE POST!!laugh.gif

Joe & George , along with Connie Stevens , Mrs Bellwood's fav tunes of the mo - must get one thumbup.gif

(read the reviews

&do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>)

SUNDAY MARCH 28TH . THE HELLFIRE CLUB, MANCHESTER

DJ LINEUP INCLUDES SOUL SAM . MARIA WILINGHAM & GUEST .PHIL SHIELDS . CHRIS MORGAN. ANDY BELLWOOD . PAUL HAVEKIN . BRETT FRANKLIN . DAVE RIMMER . MATT SMART . NORTHERN NEV .

SIR KENNETH AITCHISON . JIMMY MACK . THE ATTIC ALL-STARS . BANBURY S.C. MORE TBC !

(read the reviews

&do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>)

SORRY FOR DELAY GETTIN THIS UP BUT BEEN ALL WORK SINSE SATURDAY NIGHT IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER.........

BETTY EVERETT- NOTHIN I WOULD'NT DO

JOHNNY DIXON-WHERE ARE YOU

THE TURN-AROUNDS-CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE

AARON NEVILLE-HARD NUT TO CRACK

VIOLA WILLS-I GOT LOVE

THE MONCLAIRES-WAIT FOR ME

THE DEVONS-GROOVIN WITH MY THING

GENE MIDDLETON-NO ONE TO LOVE YOU

MAJESTIC-SEND MY BABY BACK TO ME

JAMES BELL-AMAZING LOVE

CHUCK CORBY- COMPLETE OPPOSITES

JOE MOORE-I AIN'T

THE MILLIONAIRES-IT AIN'T NO ACHIEVEMENT ....(FOR ANDY BELLWOOD)

THE MANDELLS-DONT TURN YOUR BACK ON ME

THE MANDELLS-NOW I KNOW

HAD GREAT NIGHT THANKS TO ANDY HUDSON AND MIKE WARD FOR INVITING US ALONG........ROLL ON THE NEXT EVENT

:thumbup:

DALE AN MAZ

SORRY FOR DELAY GETTIN THIS UP BUT BEEN ALL WORK SINSE SATURDAY NIGHT IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER.........

BETTY EVERETT- NOTHIN I WOULD'NT DO

JOHNNY DIXON-WHERE ARE YOU

THE TURN-AROUNDS-CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE

AARON NEVILLE-HARD NUT TO CRACK

VIOLA WILLS-I GOT LOVE

THE MONCLAIRES-WAIT FOR ME

THE DEVONS-GROOVIN WITH MY THING

GENE MIDDLETON-NO ONE TO LOVE YOU

MAJESTIC-SEND MY BABY BACK TO ME

JAMES BELL-AMAZING LOVE

CHUCK CORBY- COMPLETE OPPOSITES

JOE MOORE-I AIN'T

THE MILLIONAIRES-IT AIN'T NO ACHIEVEMENT ....(FOR ANDY BELLWOOD)

THE MANDELLS-DONT TURN YOUR BACK ON ME

THE MANDELLS-NOW I KNOW

HAD GREAT NIGHT THANKS TO ANDY HUDSON AND MIKE WARD FOR INVITING US ALONG........ROLL ON THE NEXT EVENT

thumbup.gif

DALE AN MAZ

Thank you :thumbup: , you made the night, I am just sorry I didn't get chance to talk to you and Maz. ah wot about that minx or the 2 minxes diablo.gifdiablo.gif comin from Manchester, top fellas :lol:

Andy

Hi Y'all'

Well, Pat and me arrived at the venue about 9.30pm. The first thing you notice is the supurb venue. obviously thousands had been spent and it was certainly noticeable. Unfortunatly we missed dales spot and looking at the playlist wish we hadn't. Got there mid Andy B's spot and as the Rosebuds were playing I knew we would be in for a cracker.....Following Andy was Mike Ward with some "club classics" gaurenteed to keep the dance floor full.Little Av was next up and played the Arabians which is a fave of ours. Pete played a mixture of 60's classics plus others although the Little richard record always reminds me of Slade for obvious reasons. Finally Andy finished the night off and kepy the floor full until the very end.

A great night was had by all, can't wait till the next one.

Well done to the organizers...

Dave & Pat :good:

Edited by Daveboogaloo

Thank you hatsoff2.gif , you made the night, I am just sorry I didn't get chance to talk to you and Maz. ah wot about that minx or the 2 minxes diablo.gifdiablo.gif comin from Manchester, top fellas elvis.gif

Andy

TOP FELLAS INDEED ANDY WAS GREAT TO SEE THEM OVER........WELL DONE TO YOU AND MIKE FANTASTIC VENUE VERY WELL ORGANISED AND MOST OF ALL A GREAT AMOUNT RAISED FOR A WORTHY CHARITY......SEE YA SOON....

DALE AN MAZ

Edited by Dale

Hi everyone

what more can be said that's not already been said above ...BUT .... again from Andy and me .... a great big thank you for supporting the event and raising such a fantastic amount for such a worthwhile cause.

Thanks also for posting so many positive comments leading up to the event (and kind comments above) which no doubt created a lot of interest and encouraged 'soulies' from far and wide to come along and make it such a fantastic night - I don't think anyone went home disappointed.

Just like on our previous nights thanks to another great bunch of 'top top DJ's' for doing the business and playing some great records - hats off to you people - and what about me mate Andy's spot - Wow ! - I just hope you appreciate the need to play a bit of something for everyone and dont get to uptight when I do the 'cheesy' bit.

Anyway thanks for making it a huge success and here's my play list roughly in order reflecting many requests on the night - hopefully see you all soon and certainly before our next Charity event on Friday 23 April

best wishes - Mike

Frankie Vali - You're Ready Now

Darrell Banks - Our Love Is In The Pocket (req)

Edwin Starr - My Weakness Is You

Jimmy Ruffin - Baby I've Got It (req)

Velvelettes - These Things Will Keep Me Loving You

Originals - Suspicion (req )

Supremes - Stoned Love (req)

Spellbinders - Help Me

Impressions - You Been Cheatin

Spinners - I'll Always Love You (req - me)

Tommy Neal - Going To A Happening

Millie Jackson - My Man Is A Sweety Man (req)

Epitome Of Sound - You Dont Love Me

Bobby Hutton - Lend A hand

Jackie Wilson - Because Of You

Supremes - He's All I Got

Contours - Baby Hit & Run (req)

Billy Butler - Right Track

Bobby Womack - Home Is Where The Heart Is

Frank Wilson - Do I Love You (req)

Younghearts - A little Togetherness

Contours - Just A little Misunderstanding (req)

Ramsey Lewis - Wade In The Water