Del-Larks- Job Opening

Garswood

can anybody tell me the release date for this 45 please and also what connection does eddie hazel (funkadelic) have with the group, ie, i was told he was a session musician on the track, in fact any info would be gratefully appreciated....thanks in advance...philthumbsup.gif

Social source share

• Replies 21
  • Views 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

can anybody tell me the release date for this 45 please and also what connection does eddie hazel (funkadelic) have with the group, ie, i was told he was a session musician on the track, in fact any info would be gratefully appreciated....thanks in advance...philthumbsup.gif

Phil,

This tells you the whole story including the Funkadelic/Parliament connection..

Del Larks Story.pdf

Mick

Social source share

mick, your a star, that was was just what i needed, thanks very much.....phil:thumbup:

Phil

An interesting 'rock' connection in the piece is who owned the studio where it is claimed Job Opening was recorded - Anthony Bonjiovi - who is related to ....................... Jon BonJ(i)ovi (I think they are cousins)..

Mick

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Phil

An interesting 'rock' connection in the piece is who owned the studio where it is claimed Job Opening was recorded - Anthony Bonjiovi - who is related to ....................... Jon BonJ(i)ovi (I think they are cousins)..

Mick

I Think you`ll find that the owner[Anthony Bonjiovi] is the father of Jon Bonjovi......From memory im pretty sure that Dad produced several Soul related items....Cant remember what they are but have seen his name on several occasions on label credits........

Best, Ivor

Social source share

i've been trying to confirm this for ages, i'm sure in the Prestatyn program it said JO was cut in '64 (very early i know) and i've heard that elsewhere....was that just a misprint then or have i gone utterly mental?

Spot on Mulf.Cut in '64 in New York.Sammy Campbell had 500 pressed.(Prestatyn mag courtesy John Smith).

Bumped into Sammy Campbell and Ronnie Taylor (who shared Job Opening vocals) on Saturday lunch in the foyer at Prestatyn,they looked a little lonelyg.gif .

So what's a man to do?laugh.gif .Funny ,never saw them hanging around again.......(they did sign a Attic flyer tho - To the Attic,Sammy n Ronnie ,The Del Larks).thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Well l'm flabbergasted cos it sounds a lot later than that to me :yes: but fair-dos Kev thumbsup.gif

.......Hang on.....What do you mean 'Bumped into them?' :unsure:

As in,they were hangin'.Chillin,in the foyer.Sammy Campbell came over to me and said "Are you Kev?". .God ,don't you just hate that?:laugh:

Social source share

The track was recorded and manufactured in 1965. George Blackwell pressed it for Sammy Campbell.

Source: SoultripUSA 2006 but told to me in 1977 by Sammy when recording with Ian Levine as Tyrone Ashley.

Goldsoul put the group back together for the first time in April 2006 at the Hilton, New Brunswick, NJ

Edited by The Golden 101
Social source share

Think you might have gone mental,mate! :thumbsup:

But l really don't know...lets hope somebody comes on here and gives us the answer! :hatsoff2:

I think you might have if you think that was a 70's recording!

Unless it was an answer record to the Honey Cone 'Want Ads' song...but it sounds pure 1966 to me.

Social source share

i've been trying to confirm this for ages, i'm sure in the Prestatyn program it said JO was cut in '64 (very early i know) and i've heard that elsewhere....was that just a misprint then or have i gone utterly mental?

Spot on Mulf.Cut in '64 in New York.Sammy Campbell had 500 pressed.(Prestatyn mag courtesy John Smith).

Bumped into Sammy Campbell and Ronnie Taylor (who shared Job Opening vocals) on Saturday lunch in the foyer at Prestatyn,they looked a little lonelyg.gif .

So what's a man to do?laugh.gif .Funny ,never saw them hanging around again.......(they did sign a Attic flyer tho - To the Attic,Sammy n Ronnie ,The Del Larks).thumbsup.gif

So it IS '64!! swoon.gifcool.gif That surely makes it one of the most bonkers records ever....

Social source share

hi guys, the reason i asked the question in the first place was a question posted on a youtube vid i did of this track, now the lady who asked the question was more interested in one of the session musicians who played on it, a guy called eddied hazel, who was born in 1950, now she seems to think he was about 15 when he recorded JO, and that he went onto play in funkadelic btween 1967-70,so JO recorded between 65-67..maybe...lolg.gif

Social source share

Bumped into Sammy Campbell and Ronnie Taylor (who shared Job Opening vocals) on Saturday lunch in the foyer at Prestatyn,they looked a little lonely:chinstroke: .

So what's a man to do?:laugh: .Funny ,never saw them hanging around again.......(they did sign a Attic flyer tho - To the Attic,Sammy n Ronnie ,The Del Larks).thumbsup.gif

So it IS '64!! :swoon::cool: That surely makes it one of the most bonkers records ever....

Would loved to have seen the faces on the soul community - the reaction must have been mixed to say the least.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!