Railway Club - Bournemouth

Guest SteveC

Possibly put something about the night later, but firstly, did anyone leave with the wrong ladies coat. It was a short jacket type fitted black ladies coat. The one we were left with was a Top Shop size 12 mid-length black ladies coat with detachable fur collar. Be great to get the right coats to the right folk.

• Replies 104
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hope youve sorted the coat problem out Steve.

Its was good to see so many old faces last nite , loads of traverlers, thanks to you all, thanks to all the djs for playing some top tunes, lots of qulity oldies, me be the sefish type would have liked to hear a few more lesser known tracks, but the floor was busy all night, so who am i to argue, on the plus side for me Simon put a fair few cover ups on late on and even carried on past 3am, i was in a deep sleep in bed then though. One things for sure at the Railway, you never quite know what your gonna get. Thanks again for the large support, and thats with no flyers at any venues [ we must get around to doing that lol[hatsoff2.gif

I REALLY ENJOYED LAST NITE, GREAT TO SEE SO MANY FRIENDS AND THANKS

FOR LETTING ME DJ AND NOT THROWING ROTTEN TOMATOES!- THOUGHT I'D LIST THE TUNES I PLAYED IN THE TIME IT TAKES BRISTOL CITY FC TO SCORE 4 GOALS!

KEEP THE FAITH FROM MATT X

LOOKIN' FOR A WOMAN- THE BROOKS BROTHERS-(TAY)

HARD ROE TO HOE-OTIS LEE (QUAINT)

I'M WAITING-BILL BUSH (RONN)

WHEREVER YOU WERE-BUD HARPER (PEACOCK)

SAY SOMETHING NICE TO ME- BOBBY KLINE (MB)

LA LA LA LA LA- THE AFRO BLUES QUINTET PLUS ONE- (MIRA)

CAN'T WE TALK IT OVER- L ALLEN- (GREEN DOLPHIN)

DROWN MY HEART- DAVID COLEMAN- (BARRY)

SAVIN' MY LOVIN' FOR YOU- THE PEOPLES CHOICE (PALMER)

WHAT GOOD AM I- MICKIE CHAMPION- (MUSETTE)

BLACK BOTTOM BLUES- KING COLEMAN- (COLUMBIA)

DO YOU LOVE ME BABY- THE MASQUERADERS- (WAND)

IF YOU WANT TO HOLD ON- J.T. PARKER- (ACADEMY)

DO YOU FEEL WHAT I WANT- NAOMI WILSON- (UNITED ARTISTS)

POW- WOW- MANNY CORCHADO & HIS ORCHESTRA- (DECCA)

I'VE BEEN HURT SO MANY TIMES- LARRY DAVIS- (KENT)

HONEY BOY- NELLA DODDS- (WAND)

CATCH THAT TEARDROP- THE FIVE ROYALS- (ABC PARAMOUNT)

LIKE MY LOVE FOR YOU- THE FOUR TRACKS- (MANDINGO)

SWEET BABY- AL GARDNER- (GOOGA MOOGA)

HUSH DON'T CRY- BONNIE HERMAN - (COLUMBIA)

GO FOR YOURSELF- LARRY LASTER- (LOMA)

LONG HOT SUMMER- JOE SIMON- (SOUND STAGE 7)

I GOT TO FIND ME SOMEBODY- THE VEL-VETS- (20TH CENTURY FOX)

A LITTLE TOGETHERNESS- THE YOUNGHEARTS- (CANTERBURY)

IN MY LONELY ROOM- MARTHA & THE VANDELLAS- (STATESIDE)

WHY YOU WANNA MAKE ME BLUE- THE TEMPTATIONS- (STATESIDE)

I'M THE ONE WHO LOVES YOU- DARRELL BANKS- (VOLT)

GIRL I LOVE YOU- GARLAND GREEN- (REVUE)

AIN'T THAT GOOD ENOUGH- GARLAND GREEN- (REVUE)

WHEN YOUR LOVE IS GONE- DEON JACKSON- (CARLA)

SHADOW OF A MEMORY- 21ST CENTURY- (NOEL)

GIVING IT ALL TO YOU- CHERYL BERDELL- (EMT)

INDEPENDENT WOMAN- JAN JONES- (DAY-WOOD)

LOVING YOU COMES EASY- TOMMY KEITH- (VIBRATION)

HOPE TO SEE YOU ALL SOON

No problem mate- it's always a pleasure and a laugh with you guys on stage! I'll have to get even when I find out who changed the speed on the decks!!! lol- you Bournemouth bullies!

Well what an absolute brilliant night , probably one of the best night`s musically i`ve been to in years, top notch tunes from all the jocks ,well done ! The only minor gripe was the sticky floor ,it`s not usually like that ,a minor blip that didn`t spoil my enjoyment due to the copius ammount`s of talc .Thanks to all the people who "sprinkled " as i forgot my supply! hatsoff2.gif

Hope you sort the coat saga out Steve it`s a bummer when thing`s like that happen , Hope to see plenty of you "SOUTHERN SOULIES " at FARNBOROUGH next saturday ,

Cheers ! Brian.

Possibly put something about the night later, but firstly, did anyone leave with the wrong ladies coat. It was a short jacket type fitted black ladies coat. The one we were left with was a Top Shop size 12 mid-length black ladies coat with detachable fur collar. Be great to get the right coats to the right folk.

Sent you a pm steve about the coat

was ok

Have to agree with Bearsy. I've been to the Railway when the music has been very good, mixing good oldies with fresh sounds i.e the night Bearsy DJ'd (believe you me it really pains me to say that ) :thumbsup:

I had a good dance and the dance floor was very good to dance on but far too many times I found myself ready to dance to another uptempo class sound only to be disappointed by downbeat/midtempo overplayed sound that has been getting plays in the clubs down south for 10 or 15 years. Why do we have to wait till the end to get half a dozen to a dozen decent in demand current plays/lesser know sounds.

Good to catch up with the likes of Andy Hutchins, Matt, J, Liz, Martin and the modern crew but for me it lacked atmosphere. Yes the dancefloor was full most of the time which is keeping the majority of punters happy but imho I was zoomed back in space (musically) to all the other events that have taken place on the South Coast right back as far as The Hilsea Lido.

Up to last night I classed The Railway Club as the most upfront event in the South. I'm hoping that they'll strike a fine balance and get back to their more diverse musical policy without losing the busy dancefloor. Would have been more atmospheric if the lights in the vicinity of the dancefloor had been off all night rather than going off near the end.

May I wish the promoters all the success in the future regardless of the music policy they adopt.

Have to agree with Bearsy. I've been to the Railway when the music has been very good, mixing good oldies with fresh sounds i.e the night Bearsy DJ'd (believe you me it really pains me to say that ) wink.gif

I had a good dance and the dance floor was very good to dance on but far too many times I found myself ready to dance to another uptempo class sound only to be disappointed by downbeat/midtempo overplayed sound that has been getting plays in the clubs down south for 10 or 15 years. Why do we have to wait till the end to get half a dozen to a dozen decent in demand current plays/lesser know sounds.

Good to catch up with the likes of Andy Hutchins, Matt, J, Liz, Martin and the modern crew but for me it lacked atmosphere. Yes the dancefloor was full most of the time which is keeping the majority of punters happy but imho I was zoomed back in space (musically) to all the other events that have taken place on the South Coast right back as far as The Hilsea Lido.

Up to last night I classed The Railway Club as the most upfront event in the South. I'm hoping that they'll strike a fine balance and get back to their more diverse musical policy without losing the busy dancefloor. Would have been more atmospheric if the lights in the vicinity of the dancefloor had been off all night rather than going off near the end.

May I wish the promoters all the success in the future regardless of the music policy they adopt.

POINTS TAKEN STEVE, I FOR ONE, WANTED TO HEAR A FEW MORE LESSER KNOWN SPINS PLAYED A BIT EARLEIR, BUT SIMON DIDNT HAVE A PROPER SPOT, EARLY DOORS AND THE GRAVEYARD SHIFT, UNFORTUNATLY YOUVE NOT BEEN AT THE CLUB, WHEN WEVE GONE COMPLETLY THE OTHER WAY, A MIX OF BOTH KNOWN AND SEMI KNOWN IS THE WAY FORWARD, ME THINKShatsoff2.gif

POINTS TAKEN STEVE, I FOR ONE, WANTED TO HEAR A FEW MORE LESSER KNOWN SPINS PLAYED A BIT EARLEIR, BUT SIMON DIDNT HAVE A PROPER SPOT, EARLY DOORS AND THE GRAVEYARD SHIFT, UNFORTUNATLY YOUVE NOT BEEN AT THE CLUB, WHEN WEVE GONE COMPLETLY THE OTHER WAY, A MIX OF BOTH KNOWN AND SEMI KNOWN IS THE WAY FORWARD, ME THINKShatsoff2.gif

:thumbup::yes::thumbsup:

So hard trying to please all mate and it seems the majority were happy. We can only voice our own opinions mate.

Yes Tim- £2 to get in at the Railway- I think it's always great value for money. I know you can't please everyone and we all have our favourite tunes. I feel a mix of music is always the best way forward. There are great tunes still to be discovered but in my opinion they are few and far between, it is not Stafford in 1983! I feel the place for breaking tunes is still at allnighters where the punters expect it due to the length of time you have got. I feel soul nites are for enjoying the tunes which have really made it and meeting up with friends like I did last nite. What I love about the scene is that everybody has their own individual taste- a mix is what makes a great nite. Keep up the great nites I think you all are doing a great job at the Railway.

After dragging myself out of my sick bed for a couple of hours to attend i'd like to say wearing my promoters hat that i would have been over the moon with the turn out.Excellent to all who came on a truly awful evening weather wise.

All in all for the short time i was there it was a successful evening.

Good to meet few people i haven't seen in a while - Martin Adams,Jason Desmond,Steve Csordas.

See you all at Farnborough on the 23rd.thumbsup.gif

Edited by Dave Morris
Guest Dave Mortimore

Have to agree with Bearsy. I've been to the Railway when the music has been very good, mixing good oldies with fresh sounds i.e the night Bearsy DJ'd (believe you me it really pains me to say that ) wink.gif

. I've looked at this and all the other previous comments about last Saturday night and think that it's quite refreshing to read subjective reports that have an element of truth within them. It's better to hear honest well thought out comments, instead of those common place superlatives that mask over the reality of whatever someone gets from any particular soul night.

. I thought that the good turn out created a very good atmosphere from the onset. Guest D.J.s are always brought in to freshen things up and that's what Matt and Andy Hutchins did. There was, like Steve said, alot of mid-tempo music such as The Magnetics - I have a girl, that seemed to go down well with the majority, which was pretty much self-evident through a consistently full dancefloor.

. I was generally looking for uptempo music, which came every now and then. But due to the busy floor, I rarely found the space to get out and dance until around 1 a.m.

. As already stated, there was probably half a dozen or more eye-brow raising plays, such as Dollar & Cents - Lou Lawton and the odd cover-up that Simon Preston brought to the table towards the end of the night, which would have been meagre fodder for you, Bearsy and other similar characters with cutting edge tastes.

. The thing is, there have been larger attendances at The Railway Club when they've been packed in upto the gunnels. One being the 5th Anniversary, which turned out to be a night riddled with rare soul and yet the response hasn't always been favourable. Jan and I loved it and during the days following, found ourselves having flashbacks of the various new tunes from the night. Some others though grumbled and Jonah has consequently endeavoured to make adjustments to keep the majority entertained. Even so, Simon Preston and Tim Smithers have still delivered healthy chunks of the soul that would meet your approval. It's just a pity that you and others from the Hampshire crew weren't here to witness one such night in December. Alfie will confirm, it was a great night for underplayed oldies, plus new and rare soul.

. My suggestion is to turn up next time Tim Smithers is on. He never disappoints the likes of yourselves.

Edited by Dave Mortimore

Ok my turn now biggrin.gif great turn out and deservedly so as the Railway as it is the venue for me on the South coast and will continue to be even if sometimes it dont quite do it for me musically cos as Tim has said ive also been there for a night when a lot more my type of tuneage was played and some others not so pleased but thats soul doo`s for you biggrin.gif dont get me wrong i aint got a moan cos i heard a good few tunes that kept me dancing for a good time and i duely left for home a happy chappy thumbup.gif if i was to be more selfish i would rather have a night of the rarer stuff but the Railway does try to give a bit of everything so cant complain shades.gif i did hear peeps saying about lack of atmosphere and i agree cos for me a full dance floor aint everything but i know it is for a lot of peeps and to balance things out i also heard a plenty of peeps say that was loving every minute of it and loved the atmosphere thumbsup.gif

anyway great to see loads of friends and until next time get your arses out supporting venues like this cos one day they might not be there anymore thumbup.gif

Bearsy & Marie

ps, Dave and Jan how you finding the CDs g.gif

Ok my turn now biggrin.gif great turn out and deservedly so as the Railway as it is the venue for me on the South coast and will continue to be even if sometimes it dont quite do it for me musically cos as Tim has said ive also been there for a night when a lot more my type of tuneage was played and some others not so pleased but thats soul doo`s for you biggrin.gif dont get me wrong i aint got a moan cos i heard a good few tunes that kept me dancing for a good time and i duely left for home a happy chappy thumbup.gif if i was to be more selfish i would rather have a night of the rarer stuff but the Railway does try to give a bit of everything so cant complain shades.gif i did hear peeps saying about lack of atmosphere and i agree cos for me a full dance floor aint everything but i know it is for a lot of peeps and to balance things out i also heard a plenty of peeps say that was loving every minute of it and loved the atmosphere thumbsup.gif

anyway great to see loads of friends and until next time get your arses out supporting venues like this cos one day they might not be there anymore thumbup.gif

Bearsy & Marie

ps, Dave and Jan how you finding the CDs g.gif

Your so right me old mucker, so many differant tastes, somes good nite is another ones bad nite. its a hard one to get right, the railway for me is about hearing a few tunes that you just dont get to hear on the south coast, the club its self have bought lots of first plays in the south coast like The Risen Sun / rufus lumley / the teriffics / black sugar to name but a few, and im sure there be many more, i only wish the peeps who wanna hear some of the lesser played tunes, would turn up more often [ but with so many qulity dos on, its not always easy ] it would be easier to justify playing more [ even though i will still do what i want, who ever is there ]hatsoff2.gif

i only wish the peeps who wanna hear some of the lesser played tunes, would turn up more often

If those "peeps" had turned up on Saturday they'd have been a tad disappointed Tim and that may have swayed their decision as to whether they would attend again.

I want to be perfectly clear that I realise the night was a huge success in my opinion with the floor busy and a large crowd - it just didn't float MY boat.

Dave Mortimore...I hope the CD was OK thumbsup.gif

Your so right me old mucker, so many differant tastes, somes good nite is another ones bad nite. its a hard one to get right, the railway for me is about hearing a few tunes that you just dont get to hear on the south coast, the club its self have bought lots of first plays in the south coast like The Risen Sun / rufus lumley / the teriffics / black sugar to name but a few, and im sure there be many more, i only wish the peeps who wanna hear some of the lesser played tunes, would turn up more often [ but with so many qulity dos on, its not always easy ] it would be easier to justify playing more [ even though i will still do what i want, who ever is there ]hatsoff2.gif

oh and who you calling ugly boxing.giflaugh.gif and nice pic btw laugh.gif

I take on board what everybody is saying. I for one really enjoyed the nite as noted earlier. I thought Andy played some great tunes some I could only dream of ever owning and it was great to see him djing again. His knowledge of soul music is superb and I would always make the effort to see him play his tunes out.

i think they would have been dissapointed, but the railways been going for over 5 years, playing stuff that just dont get played anywhere else on the south coast Steve, where have all these guys and girls been who are in to hearing something a little differant? even though there were nowhere enough lesser played tunes imo, there were still a fewtoons that people there would not have ever heard beforehatsoff2.gif

Edited by tim smithers
Guest RussianJo

thumbsup.gif Thoroughly enjoyed the evening - some great tunes from all the dj's (something for everyone) :good:

Great to catch up with old and new faces....looking forward to the next installment of the Railway.

Catch up with you all again soon

Cheers

I take on board what everybody is saying. I for one really enjoyed the nite as noted earlier. I thought Andy played some great tunes some I could only dream of ever owning and it was great to see him djing again. His knowledge of soul music is superb and I would always make the effort to see him play his tunes out.

Well said Matt! Everyone`s got valid points ,and it`s true you`ll never please everyone ,and it was nice to see the guy`s with the" rarer, etc, taste`s up dancing having a good time , there were imho lots of underplayed "oldies" with Andy playing an absolute blinding set , as did all the jock`s, the dancefloor spoke for itself :hatsoff2: .

Well said Matt! Everyone`s got valid points ,and it`s true you`ll never please everyone ,and it was nice to see the guy`s with the" rarer, etc, taste`s up dancing having a good time , there were imho lots of underplayed "oldies" with Andy playing an absolute blinding set , as did all the jock`s, the dancefloor spoke for itself :hatsoff2: .

Thanks mate hope to see you in the final at Wembley!!!

the railways been going for over 5 years, playing stuff that just dont get played anywhere else on the south coast Steve, where have all these guys and girls been who are in to hearing something a little differant?

Same place they were at when The Racecourse was getting 22 people in mate :wink: only then the promoters wouldn't sway their music policy - thats life down south i'm afraid bud

I'm not trying to establish what punters attended a do long gone by. Just trying to explain the fact that a 100% rare/underplayed albeit uptempo night would not be successful DOWN SOUTH- Racecourse proved that (and that wasn't even rare - just a reflection of The Dome and 100 club style at that time) . Thats why The Railway is successful because it mixes both oldies with underplayed. The balance may have been right for the majority on Sat night but not for me - quite easy really and not a mega issue.

you were there matt...i remember seing you there

looking forward to Saturday- hope to get there- if I'm a little late it's because City are still in the FA Cup- however got to beat Cardiff tomorrow nite! If we get to Wembley do you want a ticket???- Hope one year it might happen- lol

I'm not trying to establish what punters attended a do long gone by. Just trying to explain the fact that a 100% rare/underplayed albeit uptempo night would not be successful DOWN SOUTH- Racecourse proved that (and that wasn't even rare - just a reflection of The Dome and 100 club style at that time) . Thats why The Railway is successful because it mixes both oldies with underplayed. The balance may have been right for the majority on Sat night but not for me - quite easy really and not a mega issue.

Spot on Steve.

i think the balance was right FOR THE MAJORITY,and right again ,it`s not a mega issue ,

Steve my music taste`s are quite varied as i`m sure your`s are it`s just the "rarer" and" latino "doesn`t float MY boat on the dancefloor,whistling.gif

I hope the coat issue was resolved .see you soon .

Spot on Steve.

i think the balance was right FOR THE MAJORITY,and right again ,it`s not a mega issue ,

Steve my music taste`s are quite varied as i`m sure your`s are it`s just the "rarer" and" latino "doesn`t float MY boat on the dancefloor,whistling.gif

I hope the coat issue was resolved .see you soon .

Nice to see a constructive reply Brian as opposed to an irrelevant childish one. Reason I was dancing is coz I love my oldies too. The coat situation has been resolved mate.

Even Dave Thorley had to call it a day at Berkeley, when Butch etc came down there was only a few of us there for the nighter

like I said earlier a mix is the way forward and I'm sorry it doesn't match your hunger for obscure , also I think you've got the grumps for the Posh!!!!!

matt...if city get to wembley then ill treat you to a ticket...

look fwd to catching up.....if you are late you will be lucky as im on 7.30 till 9pm lololol

Hey what about a wembley ticket for me !

your money`s safe mick, on both count`s, see you all sat . I will endevour to catch a segment of your set as i too enjoy your set`s ( that`ll be two tickets then lol).thumbup.gif

Nice to see a constructive reply Brian as opposed to an irrelevant childish one. Reason I was dancing is coz I love my oldies too. The coat situation has been resolved mate.

I know you do Steve , without trying to "big you up" i think you are one of the most passionate soulies on the scene ( not in a sexual way ! lol ) it`s evident when your on the floor .K.T.F.

cheers! Brian .

Too true mate and I hope Cooper keeps you up, I'm sure Tommy Cooper passed away! so you were right on Saturday it must be his son!

Think all hope of staying up is gone mate :thumbsup:

I know you do Steve , without trying to "big you up" i think you are one of the most passionate soulies on the scene ( not in a sexual way ! lol ) it`s evident when your on the floor .K.T.F.

cheers! Brian .

You wanna try Burnley Brian - you get a whole venue as passionate as me up there bud :thumbsup: