Railway Club - Bournemouth

Guest SteveC

You wanna try Burnley Brian - you get a whole venue as passionate as me up there bud rolleyes.gif

I know i should , and plenty of other do`s in the north. Beside`s football duties i havn`t been to a do in burnley for decades i think it was the cat`s whiskers ???? That and i`m only half an hour away from Burnley ,i will be there on the 9th of feb .............to watch the mighty potters !

• Replies 104
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I'll try to be there Mike- great line up

Meant I did a set at the last Berkeley Steve C and Matt. yes, Matt you did a great set at Gloucester Nighter but Berkelay was a great Venue, thats where I was coming from. Hope we can bring some of Burnley doen South. thumbsup.gif

it would be great to get up north for a nighter..its just that not everyone can travel all that way as lots of us have work committments and family stuff to do.....theres plenty of passion in the south

it would be great to get up north for a nighter..its just that not everyone can travel all that way as lots of us have work committments and family stuff to do.....thumbup.giftheres plenty of passion in the south

Mick, I agree, I found that out when DJ'ing at Farnboro' and the Uni recently. Think you will find that at the event on the 29th at Gloucester where a lot of you are coming up too you will get a treat with likes of Mick H, Killa, Karl heard, John Weston, johnny Beggs, et al and these guys do likes of Burnley, Lifeline, etc. Maybe , its not where you go so much. we got to share this great music and not keep it it in small pockets.thumbup.gif

Spot on Steve.

i think the balance was right FOR THE MAJORITY,and right again ,it`s not a mega issue ,

Steve my music taste`s are quite varied as i`m sure your`s are it`s just the "rarer" and" latino "doesn`t float MY boat on the dancefloor,whistling.gif

I hope the coat issue was resolved .see you soon .

thats why in my household your now known as Stafford Brian laugh.gif

just out of curiosity SB wicked.gif when you say you dont like the rarer stuff what do you mean by that, is it about tempo or cos you dont know it g.gif

agree with you about the latin i cant stomach it and imvho it has its own scene and dance stylee and i just cant see the connection to the northern/rare soul scene but many do like it rolleyes.gif

Guest Dave Mortimore

ps, Dave and Jan how you finding the CDs g.gif

. Very much to our liking. I think you've got a fair inckling of what floats my boat, as I'm picking out more than I expected to put down on a request list for the next time I encounter you behind the decks.

. I only have one reservation and that is the venue needs to have a big dancefloor, for I don't like being confined into a tight space. Which wouldn't bode well, for when the time comes I'm sure I'd like to let fly and give some of these plays their full justice.

. What really tickles me, as I wait for the intro of each tune, is that I can hear the stylus being lifted onto the disc and realize the care and attention you've taken in assembling this montage of upbeat soul music.

. Jan & I would like to say, "Thanks very much!" and

. "Come back Bearsy! All is Forgiven!"

Edited by Dave Mortimore
Guest Dave Mortimore

Dave Mortimore...I hope the CD was OK thumbsup.gif

. Yes, very much so. The rare soul contained within that C.D. either immediately struck a chord or are slowly working their way into our affections. Jan really adores P.J. Smith & Co. - Hold on to it. It seems to be her song now. I'll put it on and then shut the door behind me to leave her to enjoy it. She finds the pleading female vocals very emotional and something she can wind down to.

. Thanks very much Steve. It has been very much appreciated.

. P.S. This string has been refreshing in it's posts. Feedback is what it's all about. It creates interest and adds balance to any report. I hope we can see you and some of the Hampshire crew at The Railway Club again some time soon and that the night produces the surprises it has generally been noted for.

Edited by Dave Mortimore
Guest Dave Mortimore

I know i should , and plenty of other do`s in the north. Beside`s football duties i havn`t been to a do in burnley for decades i think it was the cat`s whiskers ???? That and i`m only half an hour away from Burnley ,i will be there on the 9th of feb .............to watch the mighty potters !

. It was good to see you Brian. I'm glad you made it after the match. Thanks for the Northern Soul badge. I'll wear it with pride.

. With your little prezzie and the C.D.s from Bearsy and Steve C, it felt like Xmas.

. Well it was more than I got on the actual day. Nobody loves me! Sob! Sob!

Edited by Dave Mortimore

. Jan really adores P.J. Smith & Co. - Hold on to it. .

Glad you and Jan are enjoying the CD - better late than never so they say thumbup.gif

There are 2 other versions sung by different males and on the saame label as pj smith. I've heard one which was as good.

. Very much to our liking. I think you've got a fair inckling of what floats my boat, as I'm picking out more than I expected to put down on a request list for the next time I encounter you behind the decks.

. I only have one reservation and that is the venue needs to have a big dancefloor, for I don't like being confined into a tight space. Which wouldn't bode well, for when the time comes I'm sure I'd like to let fly and give some of these plays their full justice.

. What really tickles me, as I wait for the intro of each tune, is that I can hear the stylus being lifted onto the disc and realize the care and attention you've taken in assembling this montage of upbeat soul music.

. Jan & I would like to say, "Thanks very much!" and

. "Come back Bearsy! All is Forgiven!"

[/quote

Glad your both enjoying them and dont forget what i said about the request thingy too thumbup.gif yes i took a bit of pride in putting all my tunes on my pc as they are my passion after all shades.gif dont worry im not going anywhere just yet laugh.gif

thats why in my household your now known as Stafford Brian laugh.gif

just out of curiosity SB wicked.gif when you say you dont like the rarer stuff what do you mean by that, is it about tempo or cos you dont know it g.gif

agree with you about the latin i cant stomach it and imvho it has its own scene and dance stylee and i just cant see the connection to the northern/rare soul scene but many do like it rolleyes.gif

I didn`t state i dont like the rarer stuff ," it doesn`t float my boat " in general , my ears are open to all soul music styles , i have made many a compliment to Tim Smithers over his tunes but dance wise it`s not for me in general ,but if something clicks with me i`ll dance to it (body willing) i am not a soul snob .I have what could be described as "the rarer stuff "in my collection and also a few with a latino beat ,and one i play quite often is Sergio mendes -love music ,which was played at Wigan and the Mecca .Ihope that satisfies your curiosity my YOUNG friend thumbsup.gif

briani know what you mean about floating your boat and not being a SOUL SNOB...in fact i remember you having a right good dance at the soul cella.....

Who`s briani , sounds like something i`d eat whistling.gif bit like Tim`s quilty soul ( only when it`s cold)

Yea !your right my Moldie friend , i`m across the board ,just sometimes the board gets quite narrow .I know that i had a few pints on sat , but i cant remember you taking any pic`s, did you ? Looking forward to sat night mate it`ll be another night of "quilty"soul ( only joking Tim!)

K.T.F.thumbup.gif

Who`s briani , sounds like something i`d eat whistling.gif bit like Tim`s quilty soul ( only when it`s cold)

Yea !your right my Moldie friend , i`m across the board ,just sometimes the board gets quite narrow .I know that i had a few pints on sat , but i cant remember you taking any pic`s, did you ? Looking forward to sat night mate it`ll be another night of "quilty"soul ( only joking Tim!)

K.T.F.thumbup.gif

i only took 4 pics on sat night..all of the same person for her facebook page

i like all styles of northern soul but for me an across the board night is best....also i never push my views on anyone...ive seen all the posts in this thread...agree with most but laughed at some

ill do a review soon..im just wondering...an honest one or not...ill have to wait and see

moldie

i only took 4 pics on sat night..all of the same person for her facebook page

i like all styles of northern soul but for me an across the board night is best....also i never push my views on anyone...ive seen all the posts in this thread...agree with most but laughed at some

ill do a review soon..im just wondering...an honest one or not...ill have to wait and see

moldie

Well said , look forward your your post mate ,shades.gif

Edited by wiganpotter

God a 1000 views, cant be bad for a event lookback, some good posts and lots of passion, thats what soul does to yahatsoff2.gif

900 of those views are mine tim...PASSION...theres lots of it down south

chris and i got there early to find the railway boys putting the finninshing touches to the sound system....after a few tweeks from simon it was sounding good....ppl slowly came through the door and by 11.30 there was a very good number in the venue....lots of locals and a fair few ppl had travelled......as a none dancer i cant comment on the floor but there was a fair sprinkling of talc being used......a nice mix of tunes during the djs first sets...i always enjoy what matt and andy play...thats why we got them at farnborough later in the year.....not too much of the rare stuff that quite often empties the floor so i was having a good time..mind you my face looked like a slapped arse......matt and andys 2nd sets were superb and the floor agreed.....they had done there job to a usual very high standard.....left part way through simons and jonahs last set so cant really say much about what they played.....for me this was a good night.....lotsa nice tunes and nice ppl to share the evening with..wigan brian,nikki,tim,alfie,russ,jo,elaine,vince and its always nice to see the modern crowd out and about....chris and i went away happy with our night.....after reading some of the comments on here it seems the music was not everyones cup of tea.....it was billed as a rare and underplayed night but for me the mix was just about right....theres no need to drive hundreds of miles to get a passionate crowd....its all ready here.....ive read about the railway being at the front of the queue toons wise on the south coast.....well in my opinion the uni is definately on a par and they certainly dont play same old same old at patchin in sussex and alfies event at the crown has its fair share of great toons.....its never easy getting the mix right to please everyone and theres always someone who wont be 100% happy but thats life...big thanks to matt for posting his playlist...top man in my opinon

Guest jbedders

I didn`t state i dont like the rarer stuff ," it doesn`t float my boat " in general , my ears are open to all soul music styles , i have made many a compliment to Tim Smithers over his tunes but dance wise it`s not for me in general ,but if something clicks with me i`ll dance to it (body willing) i am not a soul snob .I have what could be described as "the rarer stuff "in my collection and also a few with a latino beat ,and one i play quite often is Sergio mendes -love music ,which was played at Wigan and the Mecca .Ihope that satisfies your curiosity my YOUNG friend thumbsup.gif

Well i'll put my 2 penith in the mix as well. I personally would have liked a few more upbeat ones and my long haired friend wanted some more stompers, however an enjoyable night was had. I am an open minded soul(music) fan who likes the diversity you get at the railway - it's refeshing, however was supprised to hear night of the wolf - al foster. but i like it. so thats ok. yeah more upbeat ones, a balance is fine and i like the idea of winding up the evening with the uptempo ones - providing my driver lets me stay for them! ha ha.

Briani... think i was the only one who danced to love music (or something similar) when you played it at bishopstoke?! thumbsup.gif. gets my vote, nice to see you left THOSE jeans at home and yes i have found enough money for a razor blade now .. thanks for the concern.

Hope to see everyone at the next one.

Sorry Brian i stand corrected i did miss read your post thumbsup.gif what boat you got do you live near Karen :laugh:

chris and i got there early to find the railway boys putting the finninshing touches to the sound system....after a few tweeks from simon it was sounding good....ppl slowly came through the door and by 11.30 there was a very good number in the venue....lots of locals and a fair few ppl had travelled......as a none dancer i cant comment on the floor but there was a fair sprinkling of talc being used......a nice mix of tunes during the djs first sets...i always enjoy what matt and andy play...thats why we got them at farnborough later in the year.....not too much of the rare stuff that quite often empties the floor so i was having a good time..mind you my face looked like a slapped arse......matt and andys 2nd sets were superb and the floor agreed.....they had done there job to a usual very high standard.....left part way through simons and jonahs last set so cant really say much about what they played.....for me this was a good night.....lotsa nice tunes and nice ppl to share the evening with..wigan brian,nikki,tim,alfie,russ,jo,elaine,vince and its always nice to see the modern crowd out and about....chris and i went away happy with our night.....after reading some of the comments on here it seems the music was not everyones cup of tea.....it was billed as a rare and underplayed night but for me the mix was just about right....theres no need to drive hundreds of miles to get a passionate crowd....its all ready here.....ive read about the railway being at the front of the queue toons wise on the south coast.....well in my opinion the uni is definately on a par and they certainly dont play same old same old at patchin in sussex and alfies event at the crown has its fair share of great toons.....its never easy getting the mix right to please everyone and theres always someone who wont be 100% happy but thats life...big thanks to matt for posting his playlist...top man in my opinon

Many thanks for your kind words Moldie, I'll be looking forward to DJing for you and Chris later this year as you are top boys with top records. See you on Saturday and at the Gloucester allnighter where I presume Steve,Tim, Bearsy and Dave Mortimer will be if they like their rarities!

Edited by Matt

ive been going to this event since i moved from bristol about 4 years ago and have always enjoyed it.Saturday was no exception!I reckon that the vast majority had a great night listening to top draw oldies and a few lesser knowns thrown in but i think people need to understand that when youve got two of my oldest friends on(andy and matt) they're going to play safe to make sure they maintain a good dance floor,i mean ,aint that why they were booked? If anybody would like to listen to obscure/downbeat/upbeat/midtempo/funky/moderny/r'n'bish type unknown/semi known or cant be arsed if its known 45's i'll come down and D.J. all night for free!!!And believe me i could do that!!!But do you know what, i think that it would bore everyone to death and we wouldnt want that now would we,as the dance floor will resemble the atmosphere at a bristol city match,Nuff said

Many thanks for your kind words Moldie, I'll be looking forward to DJing for you and Chris later this year as you are top boys with top records. See you on Saturday and at the Gloucester allnighter where I presume Steve,Tim, Bearsy and Dave Mortimer will be if they like their rarities!

you presume correctly Matt and i also attend many other rare soul nights nighters up and down the country aswell as oldies orientated nights nighters as i like it all thumbsup.gif

can i get one thing straight with everyone

I had a great night like ive already posted and i have not knocked or put down any of the djs (did anyone notice just how much i danced) and one of the reasons i was looking forward to this night was because of the djs and i understand about keeping a very busy dance floor busy, yes i would of liked a few less oldies and more lesser played etc but just cos i voiced my opinion it dont make it right or wrong its my just my opinion and not a slagging off in anyway what so ever hatsoff2.gif

anyone got a problem with that lets keep it off this thread and just pm me shades.gif

To be honest, ive looked at all the threads, and i cant se much wrong with any of them, as for the guests, theve been booked at the club a few times and will be asked in the future, probably our fault, if theres any fault to be had, we should have probably put Simon on a little earlier to keep the guys who came to listen to some lesser known tunes, lets see what March the 6th bringshatsoff2.gif

a new moderator lololol<

bearsy just as you are allowed your view so is everyone else...the posts on here have been excellent...no one has a problem with anyone

Edited by Guest

ive been going to this event since i moved from bristol about 4 years ago and have always enjoyed it.Saturday was no exception!I reckon that the vast majority had a great night listening to top draw oldies and a few lesser knowns thrown in but i think people need to understand that when youve got two of my oldest friends on(andy and matt) they're going to play safe to make sure they maintain a good dance floor,i mean ,aint that why they were booked? If anybody would like to listen to obscure/downbeat/upbeat/midtempo/funky/moderny/r'n'bish type unknown/semi known or cant be arsed if its known 45's i'll come down and D.J. all night for free!!!And believe me i could do that!!!But do you know what, i think that it would bore everyone to death and we wouldnt want that now would we,as the dance floor will resemble the atmosphere at a bristol city match,Nuff said

good post vince and yes we all know you could bore us to death.......lolololololol

To be honest, ive looked at all the threads, and i cant se much wrong with any of them, as for the guests, theve been booked at the club a few times and will be asked in the future, probably our fault, if theres any fault to be had, we should have probably put Simon on a little  earlier to keep the guys who came to listen to some lesser known tunes, lets see what March the 6th brings:hatsoff2:

who are the guests on the 6th tim....i missed out on a flyer

a new moderator lololol

bearsy just as you are allowed your view so is everyone else...the posts on here have been excellent...no one has a problem with anyone

i didnt say anyone cant have a view if i did i stand corrected, tell you what though i would love to be in attendance at an event when rare stuff gets played at an oldies venue and see how the views on that go :chinstroke:

anyway thats enough from me im off to elevate myself up my own arse even more :good:

Sorry Brian i stand corrected i did miss read your post thumbsup.gif what boat you got do you live near Karen :laugh:

My luxury liner (canoe) is moored at the only sensible place WIGAN PIER ,.

I noticed how much you danced ,and that`s a good sensible post thumbsup.gif . i dont think anybody has said a bad word about the night ,why would they it was fantastic , some of the punters just wanted to hear some rarer stuff ,it didn`t stop them having a good time !

Merry Xmas mr Mortimore whistling

i didnt say anyone cant have a view if i did i stand corrected,   tell you what though i would love to be in attendance at an event when rare stuff gets played at an oldies venue and see how the views on that go :chinstroke:

anyway thats enough from me im off to elevate myself up my own arse even more :good:

then you need to go to bisley when tim brown djed there.....and to a certain extent ginger taylor......

if the mix is right then who cares

do you need a fork lift or a ladder to help you in your quest? lolololololol

then you need to go to bisley when tim brown djed there.....and to a certain extent ginger taylor......

if the mix is right then who cares

do you need a fork lift or a ladder to help you in your quest? lolololololol

couldnt of put it better myself thumbsup.gif

Hi vince do i read between the lines and guess that your a rovers fan ?

I had a good dance and the dance floor was very good to dance on but far too many times I found myself ready to dance to another uptempo class sound only to be disappointed by downbeat/midtempo overplayed sound that has been getting plays in the clubs down south for 10 or 15 years. Why do we have to wait till the end to get half a dozen to a dozen decent in demand current plays/lesser know sounds.

Yes the dancefloor was full most of the time which is keeping the majority of punters happy but imho I was zoomed back in space (musically) to all the other events that have taken place on the South Coast right back as far as The Hilsea Lido.

Pretty much what you've written above Steve is the way i've been thinking about NS over the last year.

I've probably had my quietest year of attending dos since the early 9ts & i'm not sure exactly why but i think some of the points you've made above probably sum it up fairly well.

Still love the music big time infact probably even more than i ever had problem is i'm not going to many dos because i'm scared of being disappointed, in the last 5 to 10 years i've just been to too many that promised a lot but didn't deliver for me personally, as you say too many downbeat/midtempo overplayed sounds etc.

I will say though on my only visit to the Railway club i really enjoyed myself & thought the mix was very good, probably the most i've danced in one night since the Capitol Soul Club years, i agree with another point in this thread that Dave Morris's Uni do also has a very good mix of music, hope to try & raise myself from my slumber soonish to attend both these clubs again.

Simon

To be honest, ive looked at all the threads, and i cant se much wrong with any of them, as for the guests, theve been booked at the club a few times and will be asked in the future, probably our fault, if theres any fault to be had, we should have probably put Simon on a little earlier to keep the guys who came to listen to some lesser known tunes, lets see what March the 6th bringshatsoff2.gif

Dear Tim

I've always thought the Railway was an across the board venue and have enjoyed the nights over the years. I was not aware that Saturday was a night for obscurities etc. I can see why you all are trying to make it different from other venues. I for one am generally an oldies DJ and the reason I DJ is to try and get a full dance floor, I try now and again to slip the odd tune in but I am aware I will never be the next Keb Darge, Butch etc as I do not have the knowledge or the time to pursue this course. I think that it would be better to look at other DJ's in the future to take the Railway to the place you want it to be, many thanks for asking me in the past as I have always enjoyed the nights. I will still support your events as I do enjoy hearing new sounds. I do not wish to offend anyone when I DJ and in the future if I am asked to do a spot you will get the tunes I feel suit the nite, but generally oldies! best of luck to all you DJ's out there!

Guest Dave Mortimore

Thats a lie Vince, you were in thousands of eposodes, as Jack Duckworths double lolhatsoff2.gif

. You swine Smithers! You beat me to the punch! I was going to put him across as Jack Duckworth's long lost love child.

. However, didn't Jack have an alter ego on a video dating site once. Remember, Vince St.Clair!

. How sad we all are! laugh.gif

Dear Tim

I've always thought the Railway was an across the board venue and have enjoyed the nights over the years. I was not aware that Saturday was a night for obscurities etc. I can see why you all are trying to make it different from other venues. I for one am generally an oldies DJ and the reason I DJ is to try and get a full dance floor, I try now and again to slip the odd tune in but I am aware I will never be the next Keb Darge, Butch etc as I do not have the knowledge or the time to pursue this course. I think that it would be better to look at other DJ's in the future to take the Railway to the place you want it to be, many thanks for asking me in the past as I have always enjoyed the nights. I will still support your events as I do enjoy hearing new sounds. I do not wish to offend anyone when I DJ and in the future if I am asked to do a spot you will get the tunes I feel suit the nite, but generally oldies! best of luck to all you DJ's out there!

well i for one am gutted matt.....ive never heard you play a bad spot and when thinkin about djs you were right at the tp of the list whatever venue i was promoting.....i dont honestly think there is a more genuine and honest man on the soul scene and if you are djing some where i make a real effort to get there to hear your tunes..you will always be wanted behind the decks at any event im involved in

moldie

Dear Tim

Matt ,you and Andy were booked to play, because of the tunes youve both got and you work well together, i myself suggested to Mark to book you for this one, you did what i expected, to be honest you were the pick of the bunch on the nite, playing some great tunes like Joe Simon, Larry Davis, J T Parker, Brooks Brothers etc, wouldnt call any of them overplayed oldies, thought Mark could have played a few more lesser known tracks and ive told him that, but he was asked for quite a few requests and he as he always does, playes then [ if hes got them of course ] Over all i think the nite was very succesful, its a long time since ive seen the floor as busy, catch you soonhatsoff2.gif

Matt ,you and Andy were booked to play, because of the tunes youve both got and you work well together, i myself suggested to Mark to book you for this one, you did what i expected, to be honest you were the pick of the bunch on the nite, playing some great  tunes like Joe Simon, Larry Davis, J T Parker, Brooks Brothers etc, wouldnt call any of them overplayed oldies, thought Mark could have played a few more lesser known tracks and ive told him that, but he was asked for quite a few requests and he as he always does, playes then [ if hes got them of course ] Over all i think the nite was very succesful, its a long time since ive seen the floor as busy, catch you soonhatsoff2.gif

good post tim

Dear Tim

Matt, you played 2 cracking sets with a good few tunes many of us would love to own, no one has had a dig at you or Andy or any dj in particular and why should they cos you played what you are known for and you and Andy was defo one of the reasons i went and still glad i did go, dont feel anyone is singling you or any other dj out in particular cos i certainly aint, but the reason i said i would of prefered a few less oldies and a few more lesser played is cos i personally thought the balance was not right as i have never considered the Railway Club to be an ATB night, it was mentioned cos many peeps go there cos they do tend to push the boundries more and try not to be like any other soul nights that are mainly oldies orientated and felt probably like me that the balance wasnt right, i can only speak for myself but think of it the other way and if hardly any oldies were played and loads more lesser stuff then the oldies fans would be saying the same so it will always be a nightmare for the promoters if they dont get it perfectly right thumbsup.gif my views are only views and not was never meant to offend hatsoff2.gif

Matt keep you chin up Mate and keep doing what you do cos you do a bloody good job of it good.gif