Jeanette Nellis: Anyone Know This Good Chess Oddity?

Weingarden

Just found it yesterday:

Jeanette Nellis, Let's Get Together/Wait (Chess 1855)

It's from 1963, according to the discography. Two pretty excellent early soul/R&B sides. Not completely mind-blowing, but very solid; what IS mind-blowing is that a very good Chess 45 could be so seemingly obscure. Google brings up the Chess discography and that's it. No playlists, no sales sites, no compilations, no nothing. Anyone know anything about it?

Thanks,

M

Social source share

• Replies 26
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

• 1 year later...

Now that did make me laugh; 'reminds me a little of Thelma Lindsey...prepared to love you..in parts' .......can't hear that at all.

Seriously, you should ask the Belgians, who like that Popcorn sound and have done for years, if they know it. Most folk here in Britain are soul-laden and would bypass that sort of 45.

Social source share

Now that did make me laugh; 'reminds me a little of Thelma Lindsey...prepared to love you..in parts' .......can't hear that at all.

Seriously, you should ask the Belgians, who like that Popcorn sound and have done for years, if they know it. Most folk here in Britain are soul-laden and would bypass that sort of 45.

Glad you liked my post. Should clarify - parts of the vocal reminded me of Thelma Lindsey.Popcorn maybe,but what's in a name?

Social source share

The genre 'Popcorn' describes a certain type of music, such as the record in question. Thelma Lindsey is so obviously Northern, so I couldn't see your connection between the two.

Popcorn or Northern doesn't come into it.I was commenting on what i thought was a similar vocal style.

Social source share

Your original quote was: "reminds me a little of Thelma Lindsey...prepared to love you..in parts" That's what I was commenting upon, your comparison of this Popcorn record and Thelma Lindsey, which is a archetypal Northern record. Your most recent comments suggest that NOW you're commenting on her vocal style.

Popcorn or Northern doesn't come into it.I was commenting on what i thought was a similar vocal style.

Social source share

Your original quote was: "reminds me a little of Thelma Lindsey...prepared to love you..in parts" That's what I was commenting upon, your comparison of this Popcorn record and Thelma Lindsey, which is a archetypal Northern record. Your most recent comments suggest that NOW you're commenting on her vocal style.

...which i ammended in a later post to read "vocal style" etc....Only you are saying "this is Popcorn",btw.

You're trying to make something out of nothing here.I think you're implying i dont know the difference between this record and "Prepared to love you".!!!!.

A year or so on here we could have had a slagging match,if that's what you are after.

But not now."This here guy is now a changed man".

If you want a debate about Popcorn,start a thread,i'm not interested.

Social source share

• 5 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!