The Extreme Extremities Of Northern Soul

Was just in the shower and popped on a CD...Was groovin' along to The Pressure by Driza Bone and then out popped Love You

Baby by Eddie Parker....and l thought 'God they're so diverse but l love both of them!!' Going from Z to A...If you know

what l mean!! :thumbsup: Then on comes 'Standing On Solid Ground' by Sidney Barnes and l thought...that's mid-way between

the two...so it's got to be M!

What two records would you say are the most extreme each way?? :thumbup:

Social source share

• Replies 29
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest JIM BARRY

Was just in the shower and popped on a CD...Was groovin' along to The Pressure by Driza Bone and then out popped Love You

Baby by Eddie Parker....and l thought 'God they're so diverse but l love both of them!!' Going from Z to A...If you know

what l mean!! thumbsup.gif Then on comes 'Standing On Solid Ground' by Sidney Barnes and l thought...that's mid-way between

What two records would you say are the most extreme each way?? thumbsup.gif

What about Pyschodelic Soul SaxieRussel Followedby Bobby Sheen. Something new to dohatsoff2.gif .Jimbo

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

thumbup.gif Exteme indeed my friend!! yes.gif

There must be thousands of them, Eddie Parker Im gone ....Richard Caiton,Id like to getnear you springs to mind as very extremeshades.gif

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

What about 'Lovin' Is Really My Game'-Brainstorm then 'Walk With A Winner'- Gene McDaniels?? thumbsup.gif

My last one cos i am going for a nice long soak. Don Gardner Cheatin kind ....Don Gardner, Is this really love. Now thats diverse.smile.gif

Social source share

Love both Loving is Really My Game and Cut Your Motor Off but my gripe is what I call Hill Billy music - like........... oh I don't know the titles of the records but will get back to you on this when I remember..........ph34r.gif

I do know I just wanna slap my thigh to it ..........shades.gif

Edited by Miss Wasperella
Social source share

Always think of Kell Osborne's "Quicksand" and Glenda McLeod "No Stranger To Love" being played in the same spot by Dave Thorley as summing up exactly how broad a church Northern Soul can be.

At the time the Titanic 45 sounded absolutely ancient and the HGEI release practically space-age.

Both great records and both worked a treat: each with soul of their own kind but both records with 'charisma' if that makes any sense; certainly not the kind of records to get lost in a deejay set.

Social source share

Guest kevnewry

Here comes another one....Too Many People- Bobby Goldsboro and Captain Of My Ship-7th Wonder?? :thumbup:

FRANKIE AND JOHNNY... WHICH I LOVE..... JOHNNY SAYLES.. WHICH ID KILL YOU TO GET ON THE DANCEFLOOR TO.... DIFFERENTthumbsup.gif

Edited by kevnewry
Social source share

what l mean!! :hatsoff2: Then on comes 'Standing On Solid Ground' by Sidney Barnes and l thought...that's mid-way between

What two records would you say are the most extreme each way?? :thumbsup:

Yvonne Baker " You Didn't Say A Word " and Al Foster " Night Of The Wolf " .

Malc Burton

Social source share

what l mean!! :hatsoff2: Then on comes 'Standing On Solid Ground' by Sidney Barnes and l thought...that's mid-way between

What two records would you say are the most extreme each way?? :thumbsup:

Roy Hamilton " Cracking Up Over You " and The Mylestones " The Joker "

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

shadesGreat thread......

My vote is

Ameta Lattimore "These Memories" and Lloyd Michels "The Flasher"

Beat that you buggers!!!shades

Prince George " Wrong Crowd " and Billy Butler " The Right Track ".

Malc Burton

Social source share

what l mean!! thumbsup.gif Then on comes 'Standing On Solid Ground' by Sidney Barnes and l thought...that's mid-way between

What two records would you say are the most extreme each way?? :lol:

Webby

You're right about the difference between those tunes but that's because Driza Bone 'aint IMO a Soul record and neither are some of the other examples in this thread.

Don't get me wrong I like Drizabone and in fact I used to play it out when I DJ'd abroad in the distant past but certainly not in a Soul 'spot'.

It's like the difference between Old Man River by Paul Robeson and Hey Ya by Outkast - the only thing linking them is the colour of their skin.

Now if you're talking purely about Soul 'choons then how about "You Know How To Love Me" by Phylis Hyman and "Find A Quiet Place" by Melvin Davis?

Good thread this.

Mick

Social source share

Hey up,Mick,got to disagree with you there l'm afraid...reckon Driza Bone is every bit as Soulful as Phylis Hyman....

Mind you if we all thought the same then wouldn't be life boring! thumbsup.gif

How about Ray Pollard "The Drifter" and Joi Cardwell "Let It Go"whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

think if you was playing Bud Harper - Wherever You Were followed by Kenny Thomas - Crazy World. You would not think it's both played at Northern Soul venues in the same room

Social source share

What about ones that have similar theme too

Dean Barlow - Third Window From the Right and Village Sound - These Windows

Flight - Playing Your Game and Dooley Siverspoon - Game Players

Kenny Hamber - Anything You Want and Collin and Power - Anything I Can Do

There must be loads..............

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!