"doc" Records

Guest Eridu

Noticed the copy of 'Sleepless Nights' on "Doc" Records that just went through ebay and was surprised (as I was previously unfamiliar with the record) to see that there was a second pressing on the label.

I've got a copy of DOC-101, a surfy pop instrumental called 'The Brush' and a track called 'Smilesville USA' by Shiny Brothers which sounds like straight dental propaganda (writing and arranging credits go to Al Capps). I always assumed that "DOC" Records only had that single release and that the label's existance must have been a harebrained promotion for a local dentist...

There is some discussion of the label on a Soulful Detroit thread, but it doesn't mention the first release. Anyone know of other releases on the label? Any explanation of why the dentist kept making records?

What did the Shiny Brothers have to do with Paris? Who WAS Frank Wilson's dentist? Am I the only one who cares?

Edited by Eridu
Social source share

• Replies 1
  • Views 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Noticed the copy of 'Sleepless Nights' on "Doc" Records that just went through ebay and was surprised (as I was previously unfamiliar with the record) to see that there was a second pressing on the label.

I've got a copy of DOC-101, a surfy pop instrumental called 'The Brush' and a track called 'Smilesville USA' by Shiny Brothers which sounds like straight dental propaganda (writing and arranging credits go to Al Capps). I always assumed that "DOC" Records only had that single release and that the label's existance must have been a harebrained promotion for a local dentist...

There is some discussion of the label on a Soulful Detroit thread, but it doesn't mention the first release. Anyone know of other releases on the label? Any explanation of why the dentist kept making records?

What did the Shiny Brothers have to do with Paris? Who WAS Frank Wilson's dentist? Am I the only one who cares?

Also the original label for 'A touch of venus' Sandy Wynns - quite rare as well thumbsup.gif

DOC - 103...

Edited by jkw
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert