• Views 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Just came across this recently:

https://cgi.ebay.com/...=item414c273edb

I've been comparing it to my original copy and can't see the differences. Can you spot, if any, the difference between an original issue and this counterfait?

Ta!

You'll probably find that the pictures shown in that listing are scans of an original so you won't see a lot of difference.

I would imagine whatever turns up will be new vinyl with new labels scanned from an original.

Best thing to do is only buy scratched records from now on with all these bootleggers about. :lol:

Social source share

There are quite a few lookalike R&B repros being knocked out recently (presumably from the same source as Charles Sheffield) inc Piney Brown 'Sugar in my tea' on Mad, Freddy King 'Now I've got a woman' on Federal and Harold Burrage 'She knocks me out' on Vivid.

Scans look very good (presuming they are not scans of the originals), not seen any in the flesh, but pretty sure these are gonna be causing some problems for ebay/internet purchases.... :lol:

Edited by Mace
Social source share

Just came across this recently:

https://cgi.ebay.com/...=item414c273edb

I've been comparing it to my original copy and can't see the differences. Can you spot, if any, the difference between an original issue and this counterfait?

Ta!

macroscopically little bit difficult to find differences in the label. only the orange color differs a little. Also the sign of the press created usually an inner circle. But for sure try the... numbers of the ''mirror'' and u ll find the difference:thumbup:

Social source share

Freddy King 'Now I've got a woman' on Federal and Harold Burrage 'She knocks me out' on Vivid.

Why?

They are not that expensive for the original! unsure.gif

Social source share

Why?

They are not that expensive for the original! unsure.gif

Dunno mate, suppose you could say the same about records like Benny Spellman - Fortune Teller which were pressed up in abundance.

They probably get a 500 run done for about $1 a 45, if they sell 'em all at £6 each over the 4 titles I mentioned above.... thats over £10,000 PROFIT..... :lol:

Even if they only clear half the stock, that's still well over £4000 profit.

Now imagine doing that with 30 or 40 popular 45s..... :D

Social source share

I was looking at a number of these r&b reprs in a well known shop in london the other day as well as the ones mentioned there was billy lamont hear me now-king. pearl reaves cant stay here-harlem big maybelle 96 tears rojac. betty james a little mixed up -cee-jay and a lot more. was told they will be 100 in total, and apart from being brand spanking new you could not tell them apart from an original they were bang on and in 10 years time after a few plays you definatly wont tell them apart. No i didnt buy any but was sorely tempted with gene thompson wont you let me know-ace, never seen one before either repro or the real thing.

Social source share

I was looking at a number of these r&b reprs in a well known shop in london the other day as well as the ones mentioned there was billy lamont hear me now-king. pearl reaves cant stay here-harlem big maybelle 96 tears rojac. betty james a little mixed up -cee-jay and a lot more. was told they will be 100 in total, and apart from being brand spanking new you could not tell them apart from an original they were bang on and in 10 years time after a few plays you definatly wont tell them apart. No i didnt buy any but was sorely tempted with gene thompson wont you let me know-ace, never seen one before either repro or the real thing.

I've got an original Gene Thompson on Ace.....that is one hard record to find on original.

I believe some of these were done in runs of 500.

Social source share

I've been carefully looking at the dead wax of "Voodoo working" original and it's got machine stamped "Sheldan" on both sides with very carachteristic lettering that I doubt the bootlegs have. So beware from now on when you're offered a copy of this.

Social source share

really, in the flesh they're pretty easy to tell apart. they're European pressed and have flat labels, no dip around the centre, paper label usually doesn't quite reach the edge of the raised area, etc. besides just the paper and print quality. online of course, have to be careful, but that goes without saying for expensive records, surely?

as for the profit - well the guy making them isn't selling them at 6 quid, he'll get about 3 quid from the shops and dealers.

Social source share

really, in the flesh they're pretty easy to tell apart. they're European pressed and have flat labels, no dip around the centre, paper label usually doesn't quite reach the edge of the raised area, etc. besides just the paper and print quality. online of course, have to be careful, but that goes without saying for expensive records, surely?

Thing is though Michael, as has already been mentioned, some of these titles are not expensive as originals....so buyers/bidders will be less cautious of such 45s.

Some dealers may well list them up without mentioning 'repro' etc in description, and bidders could end up paying £20+ or so for a repro of a £40 record thinking they have bagged a bargain.

I know for a fact that some of these titles have fetched $30+ when they were first listed on ebay (as auctions not 'buy it nows'), when you could order them from the likes of Piccadilly Records in Manchester the same day for £5.99.

Social source share

blimey! good point on the cheap ones, had forgotten them with the talk of Charles Sheffield etc - yes, some strange stuff has been done... e.g. that Albert Washington is a nice one, but until recently Moerer had a boxful fairly cheap... also some stuff done on the 2nd label, like the Harold Burrage, or the Elmore James 'Cry For Me' from a few months ago

all boots btw (thought i'd said that?)

also a couple of the titles have scuppered plans for legit reissues :sad:

Edited by michael-j
Social source share

Guest MissHongkongfuey

My other Arf was fooled in a similar style with an Auction only copy of Herbie Goins - Cruising. The wording of the add along with a slightly "crackled" soundfile led him to believe that he was buying the real deal. Once bidding had reached over £50 he decided to take a punt, presuming that it was genuine and no one would pay that much for a boot. It was described as ex condition, not new or mint and he paid just under £60 for a track that was available just a week later for £5.99 buy now (500 pressed)

Bless Him....he's been buying for years but still gets burnt!!

Social source share

Presume with Cruisin' the easy solution is make sure you're bidding on one with a picture sleeve, am sure they didn't copy that too

With the Herbie Goins bootlegs is quite easy to tell them apart. They've been booted without the original center every UK release had.

Social source share

Somethings going on >>> BIG MAYBELLE 96 TEARS <<<

7 Available - :boxing:

Really, only 7 sleep3.gif

• (It's a one off Mate, How many do you want) :D

(Took me ages to find a Real DEMO, Had it a couple of years now)

I will post Details Tomorrow of Deadwax etc,

Don't want anyone to part with their hard earned cash on a New One, thinking it's Original.

At least they Specify NEW & REPRO in the listing, However ....... :D

If anyone fully understands what they are actually purchasing, up to them I suppose. unsure.gif

Royalties ?

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Somethings going on >>> BIG MAYBELLE 96 TEARS <<<

7 Available - :lol:

Really, only 7 :wicked:

• (It's a one off Mate, How many do you want) :thumbup:

(Took me ages to find a Real DEMO, Had it a couple of years now)

I will post Details Tomorrow of Deadwax etc,

Don't want anyone to part with their hard earned cash on a New One, thinking it's Original.

At least they Specify NEW & REPRO in the listing, However ....... :(

If anyone fully understands what they are actually purchasing, up to them I suppose. unsure.gif

Royalties ?

Sorry About Unexpected Delay, I'm back. :)

Here is my copy Rojac_RA-112b_Matrix.gif Original

Social source share

Guest Mr T L C

If you´re not able to look for the Sheldon stamp in the dead wax, just look at the colour. The repros have black printing which the originals don´t.

post-4238-1265921828498_thumb.jpg

post-4238-12659219090532_thumb.jpg

post-4238-1265921828498_thumb.jpg

post-4238-12659219090532_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mr T L C
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!