Hy - Tones - You Don't Even Know My Name - 45 Rpm

The Tempest

• Replies 37
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Brilliant tune- great to see it being played again- would love one myself but pretty rare- brings me back to Stafford in the 80's

Bradys Lee Otis Williams C/U?

Social source share

I think it was originally covered up by Pat Brady as Lee Otis Valentine & The Lost Souls.

I remember travelling all over the country as a young impressionable fledgling 'soulie' to hear Pat play this at ths start and end of his 'sets'.

It took me 20 years to get a copy (from Neil Brown - thanks Buddy) on Bell (just about as Minty as you can get) and it's still my No.1 tune of all time as it brings back many, many happy memories.

Sourced a copy on Southern Artists for Dave Truscott not long after getting mine and this now lives in France with Trevor Bridge.

Still makes the hair stand up on the back of neck every time I hear it.

Social source share

I think it was originally covered up by Pat Brady as Lee Otis Valentine & The Lost Souls.

I remember travelling all over the country as a young impressionable fledgling 'soulie' to hear Pat play this at ths start and end of his 'sets'.

It took me 20 years to get a copy (from Neil Brown - thanks Buddy) on Bell (just about as Minty as you can get) and it's still my No.1 tune of all time as it brings back many, many happy memories.

Sourced a copy on Southern Artists for Dave Truscott not long after getting mine and this now lives in France with Trevor Bridge.

Still makes the hair stand up on the back of neck every time I hear it.

I know Carl Willingham had one a few years ago, I think it was sold, Not sure if it was on Bell or local label. I have only the cheap bootleg that was brought out at the time, at least I can listen to the sound at home but would love an original to play out. Nice to see a copy in such great condition- well done mate!

Social source share

310091832661.jpg4021553493.jpg

Manships price difference between the two labels seems to be narrowing.

Edition 3 - Southern Artists £700 , Bell £400

Edition 5 - Southern Artists £1250, Bell £1000.

If you can get one, you're more likely to get a better condition one on Bell, I've got a minty one, and no I'm not selling wicked.gif

ATB Steve

Social source share

I had a Bell demo and Irish Greg had a Southern Artists copy...a right pair at the time of the Capitol Soul Club :thumbup:

(By the way and off on a tangent, Jimmy Church's superb Northern track, 'Right on time' also came out on Southern Artists as well as SS7...there's one prime for reactivation!)

You checked your emails lately Dave?

Social source share

You checked your emails lately Dave?

Funny you say that, Pete, as a bunch to one of my addresses suddenly all bulk-arrived over the last 48 hours :thumbup:

Nothing from you, mind...should I be expecting anything in particular...PM me good.gif

Back to the Hytones...you also have an alternative take of YDEKMN at Ace Towers, Ady, albeit not as good as the released version...imo :shades:

Social source share

Funny you say that, Pete, as a bunch to one of my addresses suddenly all bulk-arrived over the last 48 hours :thumbup:

Nothing from you, mind...should I be expecting anything in particular...PM me good.gif

Back to the Hytones...you also have an alternative take of YDEKMN at Ace Towers, Ady, albeit not as good as the released version...imo :shades:

Yes mate emailed you saturday or sunday...will find the ,message and pm you

Social source share

It won't let me PM you, keeps saying message content is empty..so will have to paste it here

Dave, Pete here, hope you're ok, I'll take whatever you've got of these, if any

Best wishes

pete

DAVE MITCHELL 30

DEL ROYALS 25

EMANUEL LASKEY ACETATE - IS IT THE ISSUED TAKE - IF IT'S AN ALT TAKE I'LL TAKE IT IF AVAILABLE

EXCITERS 10

SOMETHING WEIRD HAPPENED NEXT, I COULD NOT SEE ANY OF THE TEXT USING EITHER IE OR FIREFOX, I'D SEEN IT EARLIER ANDS THERE WAS A HOWARD TATE - YOU'RE LOOKING GOOD FOR...150? I'D DEFINITELY WANT THAT IF DEFINITELY EX CONDITION.

KNICKERBOCKERS 75

SYLVIE VARTAN 10

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

Yes, as Chris Penn says, I was lucky enough to get the Hy-Tones Southern Artists copy that he'd sourced for Dave Truscott - and its in superb condition. One of the all-time great tunes!

Trevor Bridge

YOURS IS A BOOT PALwanker.gif

Social source share

I had a Bell demo and Irish Greg had a Southern Artists copy...a right pair at the time of the Capitol Soul Club :D

(By the way and off on a tangent, Jimmy Church's superb Northern track, 'Right on time' also came out on Southern Artists as well as SS7...there's one prime for reactivation!)

Didn't know about the JC on Southern Artists,but you're damn right about it being prime.thumbsup.gif

Back on topic i'd have a Southern Artists Hytones please.

Social source share

PERSONALLY IN MY OWN EXPERIENCE, HAVE SEEN MORE COPIES ON SOUTHERN ARTISTS THAN BELL, ARE THE RECORDINGS THE SAME, HEARD THEY WERE SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT.

DAVE.

Back in the day hardly saw one on either whistling then saw more on Bell but in more recent years seen more probably on Southern Artists. If both came up for auction I doubt there would be too much price discrepancy between either release.

Social source share

I know three Hy-Tones tracks only, "You don't even know my name", "bigger and better" and "good news".

It's still hard for me to believe they're the same group on all three songs. Musical style and vocals are sooo different. E.g. "YDEKMN" sounds poppy and blue-eyed whereas "good news" is pure Sam & Dave.

What do you guys think?

Social source share

I know three Hy-Tones tracks only, "You don't even know my name", "bigger and better" and "good news".

It's still hard for me to believe they're the same group on all three songs. Musical style and vocals are sooo different. E.g. "YDEKMN" sounds poppy and blue-eyed whereas "good news" is pure Sam & Dave.

What do you guys think?

my friend said the same thing but the article in shades of soul confirmed they were the same group

Social source share

I did post up some footage of the Hy-Tones from "Night Train", I think they did two solo numbers and backing vocals on several others. I think "Bigger and better" must be by a different group. "You don't even know my name" is surely by a bad white group.

it's not. in derek pearson's magazine article (he didn't write the text though) they even talk about how one of the members sold his copy of "you don't even know my name" to some Brit. the flip of "bigger and better" is an awesome sweet soul cut that is very deep ish, called "I've got my baby" btw.

Edited by boba
Social source share

Manships price difference between the two labels seems to be narrowing.

Edition 3 - Southern Artists £700 , Bell £400

Edition 5 - Southern Artists £1250, Bell £1000.

If you can get one, you're more likely to get a better condition one on Bell, I've got a minty one, and no I'm not selling wicked.gif

ATB Steve

[/quote

Thinking of selling mine

Social source share

What do you guys think?

They were all by the same black group, Eddie Frierson, Freddie Waters and one other i can't think of at the moment, all Bob Holmes productions. They may have used different leads within the group.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!