Soul By The Severn, Caldicot, 16/1/2010

We took a bit of a gamble on a new venue and boy, did the gamble pay off! Dewstow Golf Club is located at the back of Caldicot but that didn't put people off. In total, roughly 90 people came from places as far apart as Weston Super Mare, Cardiff and Brymawr. The venue was friendly with a cheap bar and some top, top people.

We split the night between the three DJs with each of us doing two shifts on the decks (Sam squeezed in a third but then it was his equipment). Spike started off with a set of crossover and northern monsters all on vinyl. Sam picked up the batton playing mostly Motown, ensuring that all of the crowd stayed happy. He even managed to sneak in a Beatles track which showed some neck! I took over playing all sorts, again all on vinyl, a vague tracklist is highlighted below.

With the exception of one individual, the vibe was positive with a full floor 85% of the time, a clientelle ranging from 16 to 60 and music to suit all tastes. Despite the other distractions on over that weekend (Cafe a Go-Go and a 2 weddings for prominent scooter club members locally), we were blown away with the turnout and the feedback. Obviously we couldn't play everything we wanted but have an idea where people's interests lie for next time. Our philosophy is to keep people happy and keep the dancefloor moving!

Some tunes I played in no particular order:

Happy - Velvet Hammer

Get out, and let me cry - Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes

Come See About me - Jnr Walker (the only one that cleared the floor - won't play that again unless asked)

Just Loving You - Ruby Andrews

Catch that Teardrop - 5 Royales

The Bottle - Gil Scott Heron

Man of Value - Tyrone Barkley

Hand it Over - Chuck Jackson

Because of You - Jackie Wilson

Some Things are Better Left Unsaid - Ketty Lester

Under your Powerful Love - Joe Tex

Give me Just a Little More Time - Chariman of the Board

Time - Edwin Starr

Get Ready - The Temptations

The Night - Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons

Beggin' - Timebox

Soul Symphony - the Sons of Moses

And many others that I can't bring to mind at the moment.

We closed at 1.30 and were immediately invited back by the venue manager to have another nite which we've already set up. This'll be on Friday 23rd April 2010 between 8 and 1....ish.

My thanks to everyone who attended for making it a memorable night and my apologies to anyone who was inconvenienced by the aggressive woman in hotpants and stilettoes. Although she sounds like every man's fantasy, believe me, she was everyone's nightmare and will certainly not be coming back.

• Replies 0
  • Views 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic