Hmmm... Dare I Post This Up But Does Anyone

I'm just going through several hundred 45's that I have. Its quite fun playing all the b sides and discovering tunes you've never heard before - there's a few good ones.

Me and a friend bought about a hundred or so 45's a while ago from a local record shop - some sold, we kept some and others refuse to sell no matter what the price...

Some of the 45's I've got I have no idea how I got them - I can usually remember purchases but not some of these. unsure.gif

So down to the title of the topic in question - what do you do with your very 'worthless' 45's that you don't like and can't sell? Give them away? Sell them for 50p each?

Or does anyone (admit) to chucking them into landfill? ohmy.gif

I've got a Marge Joseph 80's 45 even Soul Sam would find hard to get people to dance to - what do I do with this one? g.gif

Social source share

• Replies 52
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Last April at my 50th, (Soul All-Dayer) my wife put 165 records out on the tables to either use as beer mats or for pure table dressing....thumbsup.gif

At the end of the night, there was 4 left....g.gif UUUmmmmm g.gif

Also my Granddaughters toy box seems to have gathered about 30 ish, another UUUmmmmmmmg.gif

I have locks on all the other boxes....good.gif

Social source share

I was at a Soul night about 35 yrs ago and the dj put a record on, the needle kept jumping and he took it off the turntable and skimmed it across the dancefloor ohmy.gif ive still got it now and it plays perfect thumbup.gif and the record was ...... Berts Apple Crumble-The Quick rolleyes.gif and if you're on here the answer is no,you cant have it back tongue.gif

Social source share

I woke up one Sunday morning to see Langham DStreet where I lived by the BBC in the West End covered in records. It took a few secs before I remembered that we'd played frisbees with a couple of hundred Major Harris (wrong title) on OOTP that I'd paid 1p each for!

"Out On The Piss" is that what you mean by OOTP shades

Social source share

I've thrown stuff away for sure, if it's super wrecked or things no one I know is into so I can't even give them away. I don't take them to thrift stores either because it sucks looking through your old castaways next time you go there. Biggest mistake was a few years back I got a pressing plant box of unplayed US stock copies of Beggin by the 4 Seasons when I bought a few thousand 45s from a closed store in Wisconsin. Got rid of a bunch either through sales or giving them away. After a while I had them on ebay & other sites at something like $5 buy nows & they just weren't moving. No one wanted the damn thing, so I took about 35 mint copies & threw them in the rubbish when I moved. Now it seems the price has picked up a bit again & some days I kick myself :sad:

Also had a box of Foolish Fool by Dee Dee Warwick, same story although even less people wanted that & it's still worthless so I don't kick myself so much :D

Take the crap out of circulation is my motto :tongue:

Social source share

Tomorrow I will go to a local bar after work some of you will remember from last years Hamburg Weekenders. We always went there after the boat trip for a last drink on sunday night to calm down.

They have live auctions there from time to time, where the DJ (tomorrow Lars Bulnheim is on) plays the stuff he likes to sell and have to give some strange infos about each record via the mike. Minimum bid is 0.50 cent.

The rule: If no person will make a minimum bid, the DJ must break the record to pieces and throw it on the floor in front of him.

So all in all you can say: Lars Bulnheim will break a lot of semi-known Soul records tomorrow night!

Social source share

Tomorrow I will go to a local bar after work some of you will remember from last years Hamburg Weekenders. We always went there after the boat trip for a last drink on sunday night to calm down.

They have live auctions there from time to time, where the DJ (tomorrow Lars Bulnheim is on) plays the stuff he likes to sell and have to give some strange infos about each record via the mike. Minimum bid is 0.50 cent.

The rule: If no person will make a minimum bid, the DJ must break the record to pieces and throw it on the floor in front of him.

So all in all you can say: Lars Bulnheim will break a lot of semi-known Soul records tomorrow night!

Thats criminal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never heard a soul record that I'd rather not own than own.

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

You can use them as stiffeners (one either side) when posting out records you've sold. Let someone else deal with your problem whistling .

Brian thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I'm just going through several hundred 45's that I have. Its quite fun playing all the b sides and discovering tunes you've never heard before - there's a few good ones.

Me and a friend bought about a hundred or so 45's a while ago from a local record shop - some sold, we kept some and others refuse to sell no matter what the price...

Some of the 45's I've got I have no idea how I got them - I can usually remember purchases but not some of these. unsure.gif

So down to the title of the topic in question - what do you do with your very 'worthless' 45's that you don't like and can't sell? Give them away? Sell them for 50p each?

Or does anyone (admit) to chucking them into landfill? ohmy.gif

I've got a Marge Joseph 80's 45 even Soul Sam would find hard to get people to dance to - what do I do with this one? g.gif

I've thrown 100's & 100's away over the years. Just last year I threw at least 3-400 assorted Ric-Tic 45's away. For some reason I bulk bought loads of them in Detroit in the 90's. Nowt rare just Al Kent, Little Ann, Willie G, Andre Williams, JJ Barnes, Fantastic Four, that kind of stuff. Also a load of 70's/80's stuff including about 100 copies of Five Special - the More I get To Know You. Utter bilge. Don't whatever possessed me to buy them.

Phil

Social source share

I only did it the once, but it worked. I wouldn't do it today because I like to think I'm a better person now, but in the era I did it, I still had the dog eat dog attitude to life.

I filled a 400 size record box with all these horrible sounding but great looking "mistake" 45's (mostly bought as "uneducated guesses"), then I placed a few, maybe six, decent known records amongst them, making sure I put three at the front of the box, and a couple further in just behind this first three. These weren't big money things, maybe 10-15 quid classic oldies on original labels, but nice looking on a clean demo for example. I packed it as tightly as I could, so it discouraged flicking through.

I dropped into a dealers asking if they were interested in a trade. They looked at these first few including the 3 tunes placed for purpose, then asked me what I wanted. With a completely straight face I exclaimed that there were four hundred records in this box, and I knew this dealer had a nice wdj copy of a classic oldie that they wanted four hundred quid for, were they interested in a straight swap? The 'rule of con' relies totally on the other persons greed, and this dealer thought I was a mug and that they were ripping me off.

The only question they asked me was " Are they all Soul?" and I answered honestly that yes they were. They didn't ask if they were all Northern Soul, but I tend to think they assumed that they were because a). I'm a lifelong Northern Collector, and cool.gif. they were Northern Soul Dealers.They handed me the wdj and insisted I took away the 400 count box (which must have been worth 20 quid of anybodys money)

As they used to say in the News of The World, I made my excuses and left, clutching my new acquired wdj. To be honest the dealer couldn't wait to see the back of me. They'd only looked at maybe ten records in this box and obviously wanted to go through their 'big hit'.

I'm not proud of myself, just telling an old war story......

Social source share

Fun thread this one.

In the 70s at Record Fairs, when we were bored, John Farrell and I used to play Record Fair cricket with an LP as the bat and 45s as the ball just to wind people up! The looks of horror were brilliant.

Pete Wid was the king though. He would take crap completely obscure UK 60s records to places like St Ives all dayers and spend hours winding up people, mainly DJs, that this was the best 60s record he had ever heard. Once it got to final price haggling he'd smash it over his knee saying "that's not enough". And one well known chap from the East Midlands was often seen picking up the pieces, and I'm not joking.

I throw records in the bin nearly everyday. Today I threw Hot "Angel En Tus Brazos" on Big Tree in the bin as it wasn't even worthy of recycling!

Lars is far from being an idiot, my favourite German Tart yes, but no idiot!

Dee Dee Warwick "Foolish Fool" is a brilliant record!

Ady

Social source share

I've thrown 100's & 100's away over the years. Just last year I threw at least 3-400 assorted Ric-Tic 45's away. For some reason I bulk bought loads of them in Detroit in the 90's. Nowt rare just Al Kent, Little Ann, Willie G, Andre Williams, JJ Barnes, Fantastic Four, that kind of stuff. Also a load of 70's/80's stuff including about 100 copies of Five Special - the More I get To Know You. Utter bilge. Don't whatever possessed me to buy them.

Phil

Don't ever do that again!

If you have more RicTics to get rid off give me a shout and i'll pay for them! Even if they're not rare.

Social source share

If you have more RicTics to get rid off give me a shout and i'll pay for them! Even if they're not rare.

I'll get a list together. I still have 100's of 'em. Plus I still have over 100 copies of the Magictones - It's Better To Love on Mah's

Phil

Social source share

Got hundreds of the common Ric Tics Dante, many mint with some with water damaged labels....multiple copies on quite a few. Would take a while to sort and find them all but if you'd be interested then let me know and I can make a start!

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

My only worry about snapping records or using them as cricket balls etc... is that some time in the future they might be the next big sound. Times change and different 45s come into and out of fashion. Today's cricket ball might be (in 20 years time) tomorrow's Mello Souls ohmy.gif

Social source share

My only worry about snapping records or using them as cricket balls etc... is that some time in the future they might be the next big sound. Times change and different 45s come into and out of fashion. Today's cricket ball might be (in 20 years time) tomorrow's Mello Souls ohmy.gif

I thought about that before throwing copies of San Remos' I'm Satisfied' against a wall frisbee style, I was trying to break the styrene playing surface but keep labels intact. Murdered 6 copies before getting 3 to crack the way I wanted......kept thinking 'what if this starts getting played by Butch and becomes worth £100s!!' Then looked in the box at the other 100+ copies and next thought was 'I'll be f*cking rich if it does' laugh.gif

Social source share

Phil

No wonder records are rare, it's because people over the years have thrown most of them away!

Why didn't you list them all for for £10? plus postage, if you didn't want them? At least someone would have got some good out of them! What a waste.

Social source share

i like mis treating records in front of my mate brad,cos he dosnt collect but is appalled at the way i stack um every where ,unsleeved etc, except of course the ones i try to sell on here:wicked: most monday evenings after a niter i look in my record box expecting to throw away the duff stuff my mates have traded with me at 6.30 when im dead...:6::D ........thanks lads

Social source share

Seriously, there are still millions of thousands of those Ric Tic 45s out there, I wouldn't be worried about people taking a few hundred & doing what they want with them. The commons on that label will never be rare. Heck, there's bucketloads on ebay that never sell & just clutter up people's ebay stores & they're not even at $10 a copy for the most part. Some of you guys sound like you need to go look through a few thousand 45s & report back how many Ric Tic's you pass on because they're everywhere. Fantastic Four for DAYS........ :sleep3:

I understand that throwing out records seems sacriligious to people & I used to think the same way, but there is definitely a poine where you've seen & accumulated so many soul 45s that you get a pretty good idea of what you're gonna be able to give away & what is unmoveable & if you don't jettison it any way possible, it will be with you to your grave. Wading through 300/400 common Ric Tic double ups sounds like hell in a handbasket, even if the guy pays you :rolleyes: Maybe binning them was a bit harsh without offering them as a lot on here first apparently but I understand where the guy's coming from.

Social source share

Ian Williams 19 January 2010

Some of the 45's I've got I have no idea how I got them - I can usually remember purchases but not some of these. :unsure:

Or does anyone (admit) to chucking them into landfill? :ohmy:

I've got a Marge Joseph 80's 45 even Soul Sam would find hard to get people to dance to - what do I do with this one? :chinstroke:

Hmm... looks like its a draw then - some folks would want everything that someone else was going to get rid of - and spend all night playing the b sides and playing the beat ballads at 78rpm to turn a slowie to a stomper :rolleyes:

Whilst others have no qualms about binning some tunes or winding up their mates.

I'm now thinking that I'll take the box of 80 or so and sell some and have a 'free' why don't you recycle section

I wonder, like some car boot sales, if I'll come home muttering... "I couldn't GIVE them away...." :unsure:

Edited by ian williams
Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

I'm with him. I'm not a collector, I've never been able to afford, but Ric Tic has always been special to me, a few of my earliest tunes were on that classic label. If you want shut and they're at a good price, I'm interested too!

Social source share

Fun thread this one.

In the 70s at Record Fairs, when we were bored, John Farrell and I used to play Record Fair cricket with an LP as the bat and 45s as the ball just to wind people up! The looks of horror were brilliant.

Pete And was the king though. He would take crap completely obscure UK 60s records to places like St Ives all dayers and spend hours winding up people, mainly DJs, that this was the best 60s record he had ever heard. Once it got to final price haggling he'd smash it over his knee saying "that's not enough". And one well known chap from the East Midlands was often seen picking up the pieces, and I'm not joking.

I throw records in the bin nearly everyday. Today I threw Hot "Angel En Tus Brazos" on Big Tree in the bin as it wasn't even worthy of recycling!

Lars is far from being an idiot, my favourite German Tart yes, but no idiot!

Dee Dee Warwick "Foolish Fool" is a brilliant record!

Ady

:hatsoff2: YES THATS A GOOD ONE TO DO, I HAVE A PILE OF REGGAE RECORDS ALL THE SAME, AND NOW AND AGAIN TREAT THEM, I CANT REMEMBER THE RECORD BUT I KNOW I SENT 1 OUT OF THE BLUE TO RIC-TIC:ph34r: DAVE(58)KIL

Social source share

I'll get a list together. I still have 100's of 'em. Plus I still have over 100 copies of the Magictones - It's Better To Love on Mah's

Phil

Got hundreds of the common Ric Tics Dante, many mint with some with water damaged labels....multiple copies on quite a few. Would take a while to sort and find them all but if you'd be interested then let me know and I can make a start!

Let me know. I sold all of them, of course I regret it now. And you know this is, when you start buying again you never get round to picking up the obvious ones. Well, at least me.

Ric Tic is my favorite label of all time, it's so special to me, so drop me a PM if you've got anything...

Social source share

You can use them as stiffeners (one either side) when posting out records you've sold. Let someone else deal with your problem whistling.gif .

Brian thumbsup.gif

I got a record from the states packed like this recently.

A fragile thing packed in 2 fragile things makes it only marginally less fragile. A piece of glass packed in between 2 pieces of glass? :)

BTW anybody collect Olivia Newton John records?

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

ha ha ha Olivia Newton John mentioned on here.

i find that if you have records you hate or let's say stuff you have 2 of sell them if you can, if not give them to charity or someone who wants them

the one thing i wouldn't do is give away say soul stuff i not really a big fan of cause i can keep them in case sometime you was doing radio show or something and you can play them to please people who might like them or request them

Social source share

Guest welshruss

In the late 70s i was going through a divorce......and my ex threw a liquid over a 200 box of northern that i always kept near the stereo ! Nowt wrong with that i thought "clean it up after the row"

Didnt realise it was bleach.......left it for a few hours......nearly every 45 was either warped beyond belief or marked so it was non playable.

Ooh i did see my arse that day.....but they all ended on the tip.......Happy days - no they wernt.:no:

Social source share

Funny you should ask. I have a dilemma at the moment. I bought a record ; Cards on the table Diplomats arock off what turned out to be a dirty rotten sicko mother foooooker. I dont like the thought of it in my house now, despite the fact this persons guilty fingers have been all over it...i have some bad Karma feelings.........should i forget it and leave it where it is or should i throw it out? snap it up and burn it? or just sell it??

Social source share

This is a fun post & horrific too. Thrown away records, Broken records, divorcee disaster stories - I have heard a few of those. Never let your missus know your favourite tunes (unless you are lucky enough to have a missus who is into her tunes too) - a friend of mine had a row with the missus & she found all the tunes on his favourite label & broke them.

I have tracked down quite a few people in the US who were in the business back in the day, who had thrown out their records. Not sold, not given away - thrown away - it is hard to hold back the tears when you get this news after going to the effort of tracking someone down.

Another reason rare records are rare is that people in the biz,radio dj's etc.. often kept what they thought was worth keeping & threw out what they didn't think much of or wasn't a hit. In someways this is understandable because they used to get pallets full of lp's delivered to the radio station every week & no one had room to store it all.

When they do hang on to some of the more interesting stuff it often tends to be local records & is usually in perfect shape whilst all their Marvin Gaye & James Brown records are trashed.

My advise would be never throw anything away because 1 man's trash is another man's treasure & what is not cool now might turn out to be cool in a few years time.

Look into if they are worth anything online & if not give them away to someone who might care. Last ditch charity shop.

Social source share

BTW anybody collect Olivia Newton John records? - YES! I have sold a few I have to admit (don't ban me) 1 man's trash is another mans treasure - it seems there is a collectors market for any "attractive" female singers,especially with picture covers, Madonna, ONJ, Mariah Carey... 

Social source share

BTW anybody collect Olivia Newton John records? - YES! I have sold a few I have to admit (don't ban me) 1 man's trash is another mans treasure - it seems there is a collectors market for any "attractive" female singers,especially with picture covers, Madonna, ONJ, Mariah Carey...

Social source share

Remember as a teenager back in the 70s, like many others, buying the 200 soul packs , me and my mate used to go halves on them , we would inevitavely end up with about only 20 records that we thought were any good , so I ended up with a bedroom full of records nobody wanted . My Mum kept giving me earche to get rid of them.

As we lived literally a stones throw from the river Nene me and my mate used to frisby handfulls of them into the river from a distance ....they fly for miles!! yes.gif anyone else tried it .....God knows what ended up in there...I shudder to thinksad.gif

Social source share

This is a fun post & horrific too. Thrown away records, Broken records, divorcee disaster stories - I have heard a few of those. Never let your missus know your favourite tunes (unless you are lucky enough to have a missus who is into her tunes too) - a friend of mine had a row with the missus & she found all the tunes on his favourite label & broke them.

I have tracked down quite a few people in the US who were in the business back in the day, who had thrown out their records. Not sold, not given away - thrown away - it is hard to hold back the tears when you get this news after going to the effort of tracking someone down.

Another reason rare records are rare is that people in the biz,radio dj's etc.. often kept what they thought was worth keeping & threw out what they didn't think much of or wasn't a hit. In someways this is understandable because they used to get pallets full of lp's delivered to the radio station every week & no one had room to store it all.

When they do hang on to some of the more interesting stuff it often tends to be local records & is usually in perfect shape whilst all their Marvin Gaye & James Brown records are trashed.

My advise would be never throw anything away because 1 man's trash is another man's treasure & what is not cool now might turn out to be cool in a few years time.

Look into if they are worth anything online & if not give them away to someone who might care. Last ditch charity shop.

I agree.

It's all too easy to not see the value of something that you've made, or been involved with.

I remember a few years ago binning a load of Soul City label test presses. Chris (King) and I had put a few double sider test presses (best side of 2 releases per 45) together to give to DJ's etc to promote the "new" label.

I had a fair few left and they didn't fit neatly into the record filing system, so they were moved around from one shelf to another until one day I just thought they were in the way and binned the lot.

Phil

Social source share

I've given literally thousands away. Whenever I buy a job lot I end up keeping about 5 records and giving the other 500 away. I only keep the Northern so anything else gets binned.

What you mean you actually throw the stuff on the tip? Do you not know any youngsters startin a collection who,ll give the other stuff a hearing? i sometimes get Cato,s cast offs im proud to say, and thats the crux of t i guess , you never know what might appeal to you till you hear the music. im always grateful for a listen to stuff people have no use for or dont care for particularly.Its a tough thing to recycle is vinyl i suppose, if its unloved.

Edited by whatsthiscalled
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert