Long Leather Coats

Guest sue77

Does anybody out there have any pictures of those lovely long leather coats that were worn in the 70s?. if so I'd love to see them, and can you remember how much they cost?

Social source share

• Replies 46
  • Views 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Does anybody out there have any pictures of those lovely long leather coats that were worn in the 70s?. if so I'd love to see them, and can you remember how much they cost?

Haven't got a photo, but remember me and my old mate Bubba going down Kensington Market circa 1970 and both coming back with full length leathers, cost about £30 if my memory serves me right. ATB Steve thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I paid £55 in 1977 for a brown full length. Sadly no pictures.

Social source share

I had two, a black one and a brown one...my dad bought them,one was a birthday present (1975)and the other when i started my first job when i left school(1978)

I still wear one for souling 30 odd years later,(not from my original two tho,lol....apart from being worn out by now....they wouldnt fit anyway....not as "svelt like" as i used to be)

KTF

Susan(mrs Casper)

Social source share

hatsoff2.gif HI YA ..YES IF YOU HAVE A COPY OF THE GRANADA TV ENGLAND THIS ENGLAND? YOU WILL SEE ME A ME BOX OF TRIX TUCKED UNDER ME ARM, ACTING LIKE A SMOOTH RAZOR SHARP BARROW BOY, IN FULL LENGTH LEATHER AND ORIGANAL MULTI PATCHED 501 BAGS BLACK OXFORDS AND HIPPY DICKY,whistling.gif "ALL ME LIFE I WANTED TO BE A BARROW BOY? AND THATS ALL I WILL EVER BE"? (Old Music Hall song)

ph34r.gif DAVE(58+1) KIL

Edited by dthedrug
Social source share

Guest Mark Holmes

I got mine from the Underground Market in Manchester just round the corner from Tony Justs record stall.

Can't remember what I paid for it though.

Social source share

I had two, a black one and a brown one...my dad bought them,one was a birthday present (1975)and the other when i started my first job when i left school(1978)

I still wear one for souling 30 odd years later,(not from my original two tho,lol....apart from being worn out by now....they wouldnt fit anyway....not as "svelt like" as i used to be)

KTF

Susan(mrs Casper)

Sue I still have mine from ''75'' , don't believe you would not still fit in yours . As for me , five stone heavier than than , no chance.

Social source share

Sue I still have mine from ''75'' , don't believe you would not still fit in yours . As for me , five stone heavier than than , no chance.

got one of those passport pics somewhere,but only shows top bit of coat!!

i will look for it and maybe my better half will put it on here.

ktf susan x

Social source share

i bought mine in december 78 , i was an apprentice joiner 16 years old,i was on £19 a week and bought it with my xmas holiday wages,it was £59 so could just afford it with what i had saved up , i was amazed they had one to fit as i was (then)about 8stone and about a 34in chest and being 5ft 4 it covered me clarks polyveldts .im glad no pictures exist:thumbsup:

Social source share

Had a wonderful Ox Blood coloured one I paid ALL my Christmas bonus on (60 quids) in 1975.

And literally, on more than one occasion, had to fight to keep it.

Ah, the good old dayslaugh.gif

Tony

Snap, I had a lovely Ox Blood one too in '76, the best colour ever for full lengths, mine was £50 from Mr Clives in Southampton and bloody hell, that was a lot of money back then!

Yeah they were great days, much more of a fun time for young people to grow up in, less police observation, no pitbulls, staffs etc, much less gun and knife crime and people becoming friends with others from different cities via all the music scenes. Great times at the football too for those of us who were so inclined! Suppose one of those coats would be around 400 quid or something ridiculous now!thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest proudlove

Snap, I had a lovely Ox Blood one too in '76, the best colour ever for full lengths, mine was £50 from Mr Clives in Southampton and bloody hell, that was a lot of money back then!

Yeah they were great days, much more of a fun time for young people to grow up in, less police observation, no pitbulls, staffs etc, much less gun and knife crime and people becoming friends with others from different cities via all the music scenes. Great times at the football too for those of us who were so inclined! Suppose one of those coats would be around 400 quid or something ridiculous now!thumbsup.gif

Just to put prices into context----------in 1976 I swapped a Ford Prefect with Dave Evison for a Ford Corsair gt,I paid £100 for the Prefect.

The 2dr gt Corsair is probably worth,in good nick, 5 grand,6 at a push.................I left it by the side of the road because a fuel line split............................

The leather coat would cost 200 max now.......................That is why I am not a millionaire.....................................

Social source share

1975. Michaels warehouse in Bolton. Made to measure. 47 inch long. Cost a pound an inch. So £47. I was 5 foot 10 inch with a 33 inch chest. ( too many tabs and the like). The lady who measured me had to doubly check the measurement and wrote down on the paper. 33 inch, very slim and underlined it to make sure. God I thought it was the dogs nads when I picked it up.

Social source share

Guest kid mohair

We have some in our collection somewhere proper 70s ones, i will have to hunt em out now make sure they aint fell to bits laugh.gif

Social source share

Just to put prices into context----------in 1976 I swapped a Ford Prefect with Dave Evison for a Ford Corsair gt,I paid £100 for the Prefect.

The 2dr gt Corsair is probably worth,in good nick, 5 grand,6 at a push.................I left it by the side of the road because a fuel line split............................

The leather coat would cost 200 max now.......................That is why I am not a millionaire.....................................

Can't see what rate of inflation you are applying there?! The cost of vintage cars is subjective (like records) and not like an everyday item. In my local in 75-76, a pint of lager was 31p, a mild the cheapest beer was 17p a pint....

In London now the average for a pint of lager is probably around £3 unless you are drinking in the doss saloons. The maths on that inflation level are self evident. In 75, you could get in all the clubs where I was for 50p-75p, now you are talking a tenner. More in some. You could buy leather brogues for under a tenner in 75. A good pair now will set you back over £100. That's over a 900 per cent increase. The cheapest Public telephone call in 75 was still 2p for 3 minutes. Now it's 40p.

You could get in the cinema back then for under a pound. Now it's £13 plus in London.

Yet you say that coat would only be 3/4 times more expensive?

I'd like to see where you can buy a full length leather coat of that quality for £200 now.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest proudlove

Can't see what rate of inflation you are applying there?! The cost of vintage cars is subjective (like records) and not like an everyday item. In my local in 75-76, a pint of lager was 31p, a mild the cheapest beer was 17p a pint....

In London now the average for a pint of lager is probably around £3 unless you are drinking in the doss saloons. The maths on that inflation level are self evident. In 75, you could get in all the clubs where I was for 50p-75p, now you are talking a tenner. More in some. You could buy leather brogues for under a tenner in 75. A good pair now will set you back over £100. That's over a 900 per cent increase. The cheapest Public telephone call in 75 was still 2p for 3 minutes. Now it's 40p.

You could get in the cinema back then for under a pound. Now it's £13 plus in London.

I'd like to see where you can buy a full length leather coat of that quality for £200 now.thumbsup.gif

A vintage car is pre 1930...............but thats not the point,you give me a grand and I will supply 5 top quality long leathers,just send me your bank a/c details and all credit card details and I will sort it for you.

Social source share

A vintage car is pre 1930...............but thats not the point,you give me a grand and I will supply 5 top quality long leathers,just send me your bank a/c details and all credit card details and I will sort it for you.

Yeah ok.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest proudlove

Yeah ok.thumbsup.gif

Ok I can do you the 5 leathers for £900 any cheaper you are taking the food from my childrens mouths.........................

Social source share

I used to have two of them in the late 70s, one brown, the other black. One was a Christmas present from my mum and dad the other paid for from my Saturday job.

Although as I remember everyone used to wear them, not just Soul fans.

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

Well i am not one for arguing against other peoples valuation of items old or new. However i wil tell you what is fact. I work in the fashion clothing trade and actually had one of these coats in my leather range some three years ago. The retail price for this item would have been £275 at that time.

The actual hide is sheep nappa and the coat is a ladies size 12.

I still have the sample at home and if any lady is interested it is for sale at £90-probably about circa 1980s prices!.

ROY

Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

Sadly no pics.....I know an old mate who is untraceable has some pics of me in mine.....cost 75 quid in 1979, had it specially made, full length black leather, I always thought they looked really smart, probably wouldn't wear one now as I'm sure I'd be ridiculed, especially here......full length bushmans coat would be more acceptable...lol....this coat has resurfaced in my memory recently, I sold the full length leather through an ad in Black Echoes in about 1982, the guy who bought it was called Ian Curtis from Pershore, at the time I thought the phone call was a piss take as the lead singer from Joy Division was called Ian Curtis anyways sold it to him after his cheque had arrived........I recently listed some soul patches on ebay, one was sold to an Ian Curtis from Evesham....I emailed him in regards to the coat & he remembers buying one by post but couldn't remember anymore about it....same person?...maybe...the strange world of northern soul indeed.

KTF

Baz

Social source share

Guest becchio

In bradford C and A they was all chained together on rails. Think it was ricki s or one of the butterfields who would run out with a full rail and flog em in the norfolk gardens bar. Think karim s took some to wigan in his van too. Niiice :-]

Edited by becchio
Social source share

Guest becchio

And that chap out of southern death cult (the cult) who hung round the bus station wanted one so danny tried it n think he got an hiding offer the older lads . Those days x

Edited by becchio
Social source share

One of the first things I bought when I started work think it cost £38.00 Still got it and was wearing it up to a couple of years ago.

Not sure how this will turn out not posted picture up before group of us on our way to wigan post-8246-12642063929443_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest brian walker

still got one left its in great condition and still fits me just as it did back then.i paid£75.00 from a guy on the scene called maffia dave. bw photo to follow

Social source share

1975. Michaels warehouse in Bolton. Made to measure. 47 inch long. Cost a pound an inch. So £47. I was 5 foot 10 inch with a 33 inch chest. ( too many tabs and the like). The lady who measured me had to doubly check the measurement and wrote down on the paper. 33 inch, very slim and underlined it to make sure. God I thought it was the dogs nads when I picked it up.

Ditto. 1975, made to measure at Michaels Leathers in Bolton. I wore it until 1977, then it wouldn't fasten across my baby bump!

Social source share

My first 70s long leather coat, came from the Kings Road in the late 70s, as i used to like going into Vivienne Westwoods first shop called "SEX", but i was quite lucky to live in London as in the 80s, if you popped down to Kensington or Camden you could go through rails of them, i purchased a black, dark brown, burgundy, navy & bottle green.

I still wear my original 70s black & dark brown, but my green & burgundy one got worn out & i sold my navy to Kate Moss, when i used to work in my vintage clothing shop, it was great to see her wearing it on a tv show.

These old vintage coats got me started on vintage clothing & textiles, which led me to become a professional vintage clothing historian. :shhh:

Debbie x

I could never afford one :yes:not_i.gif Ian

You should of come to London, they were £8-£15 each :lol: Debbie x

FTF :yes:

Edited by parkash
Social source share

Guest Brian J

Michael Clothing Company was a great place to have leathers made.

I never had a long one made but I did have a short Wrangler style in antique green

which looked the dogs!

Although I didn't have a long leather, I did have a full length fur jacket made

at the Lafayette Fur Company in Manchester. It cost £110 around 1972/73.

Unfortunately I have no pictures as most of my snaps were lost in a house fire.

This is one I bought from a Charity shop about 3 years ago for £70.

It's like brand new but I've only worn it once.

post-2798-1264415025685_thumb.jpg

post-2798-12644149477832_thumb.jpg

post-2798-12644149477832_thumb.jpg

post-2798-1264415025685_thumb.jpg

Social source share

on the right in this photo is Phil Headlands outside St Ives the morning after in his long leather coat......sorry it's a crap picture......didn't you just love those 110 camera's no.gif

What a lovely photo....wish i still had some photos like those...lost through the years tho. found one of me in my soul stuff at drayton manor park,and ive got a passport size pic what my mum had....but thats about it.

ktf susan

Social source share

My husbands black long leather coat is

in the "loft" in a case along with his 28"

waist Karmen Ghia cords.He wore the

old style sheepskin,tho,more than the leather.

Soo Holmes

Hey up Soo :thumbup: Yeh I remember it I used to borrow it, Like a very dark blue nice to go down town on Saturday afternoons in the 3 tuns, made a change from the sheep skin and leather bomber jackets and Harringtons, Oh did I say I do have a sheep skin 4sale 40ish chest with full leather trim offers around £120 hardly worn

Andy Hudson

Social source share

aww ive still got my long leather coat and more to the point it STILL FITSyes.gif . I remember it was £79.99 from skinflair in Barnsley my mum n dad bought it me for xmas 1978 became part of the school uniform and you had to have one to be in our gang lol.

I was 5ft 2 and 8 stone and im still 5ft 2 and 8.5 stone, Think im gonna start wearing it again !!! but give the monkey boots a miss.

ktfrolleyes.gif di x

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!