Northern Soul Dj-ing, Easy? Or Hard?

TO; "ALL" SOUL SOURCE MEMBERS,- DJ'S, DANCER'S, SOUL FANS, From the NEWBIES, RIGHT THROUGH TO YA' HARDCORE (Northern Soul) JUNKIES,

I WAS ASKED A STRAIGHT FORWARD QUESTION TONIGHT ABOUT "DJ-ing", By A "Newbie" (Someone Not Long Been into Northern, But Loves IT),

AND I THOUGHT I'D ASK THE SAME QUESTION TO "S.S." MEMBERS? (if thats OK),

The Question was;-

Is there a KNACK to DJ-ing ? (& playing Northern Soul) or is it simply a case of playing One Record after an Other?

My personal Question is "WHAT MAKE'S A GOOD NORTHERN SOUL DJ"?

HOW CAN A DJ GET ON STAGE / BEHIND DECKS & ENTERTAIN A CROWD?

Especially A crowd Made up of every Different Styles Of "SOUL" fan(s)?

Anyone CAN "Hit & Miss" for an Hour or So, How or What Gets A Hold Of A crowd

& Keeps Them On The Dancefloor?

Simple Question(s). . Or "Tricks of the Trade" ?

Is There Anyone Out There Who'd Like To Share Tip's ? Do's & Don'ts ?

concerning DJ-ing!!!

Obviously,

1/ Having A "Great" record collection,

2/ Having A "Rep"???

3/ Knowing your Crowd?

ANYWAY I'M LOOKING FOR SUGGESTIONS FROM "N.SOUL" DJ's

SO I CAN WRITE A BOOK. . . N.SOUL'S "TOP 500" DJ-ing TIP'S!!!

"Only Joking About The Book". . .honest guv.

Right That's Me Done, i'm off to bed now, cause i'm Wasted!!!

DAVEY SNOWDON (Newcastle upon-tyne).

Social source share

• Replies 103
  • Views 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

01 Agood dance floor

02 reasonable priced venue

03 good advertising

04 good sound system

05 good music knowledge

06 flexibility in this knowledge

07 not to be a Geordie,welsh get a better deal

08 stay on the right track

09 vary the music,play well known tracks and not try to be the great I am with my record collection ultra rare music is the best and nothing else matter attitude doesnt go down well with crowds

sorry went off at a tangent

back to seven

07 show your crowd after all of the first 6,that you the "DJ" enjoy playing the music

08 your crowd will come back for more

09 HOPE THIS HELPS

sack Souness he is useless

not i n top 500 ns dj quotes

Doug

Edited by MAKEMVINYL
Social source share

got to go with the point..show the crowd that YOU are enjoying it.standing with yer arms folded and a smug look ( ner ner look wot i got ) kinda thing aint gonna get yr dancers enthusiastic..being able to give the set some kind of flow is a good point..and if u really cant follow tempo.grab the mike and talk yer way out of it laugh.gif

rare records are ok if they are any good..but rare doesnt make em danceable.....peeps will throw 'emselves round just as much to a £10 sound as they would for a £10,000 sound

watch yr dancefloor over the sets before u..see what is gettin 'em up no two crowds are the same..and if yer losin 'em change yer tack

as has been said a great sound system is a must or anybody will sound bad wicked.gif

and finally not being a girl makes life a darned sight easier whistling.gif ( stickin on me false moustache as we speak lol )

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Believe in the records you buy.

link

Excellant advice if ya believe in them and keep it real you'll be ok. As both a dancer and a dj, I think to meself, "what do I like to dance and listen too" But keep the faith, enjoy the music... and like previously mentioned don't get stuck so far up the rarest of rare tunnel and don't spin money. ..

Social source share

I'm not a DJ, but you can tell who's playing to the floor and who isn't....

There is no skill to mixing the records together. I think the skill in buying records comes from being able to tell what will grow on you, grow on your crowd, meaning a lot of things going thro' your lickle 'ed when you are trawling the boxes for hidden gems..

V accurate post above, that one downfall is to consider every rare record playable, hang whether it's any good or not...Loads of jocks do that, and it's a 'mare.....

Don't think it's a skill, think it is more of a knack, instinct.....

If you're a girl, I wouldn't notice until you were cooking it some or were total shit....Don't even know where the decks are until I hear tons of brill stuff, or crap.

As a punter, I don't give a f**k how much a sound cost you, if it's shit, it's shit.

And there ain't no use in chopping frm 6T's to modern, then back, then back again......It's like a runway for an aircraft...if you want this baby off the ground, then play 5-6 tracks of the same 'ilk', give your crowd time to warm to your stylo!!

:lol:

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

I'm surprised no-one has touched on the most important (IMHO) thing to know as a DJ.... the records in your box!

As an occasional DJ on the scooter side of things although i consider myself a soul dj first and foremost I need to play a mix of stuff - ska in all its forms, punk, psychobilly, house, mod and more. I won't play a record I don't know the intro to, the ending, the pace, the overall 'sound' of it and how it will blend (if it will blend at all) into the current part of my set.

As was pointed out above its no good switching genres because you like a track/its worth £1000/whatever if it sounds awful following the track before?

As a punter I find it usually takes a good track to get me on the floor and then I want to hear at least a couple more in a similar vein before the DJ switches tack? I've heard too many (usually wannabe inexperienced) DJs switch genre after one track in a rush to get the floor full. It NEVER works, give it a few the same and if thats dying THEN switch not before.

Social source share

link

abso friggin lutely..or wots the point :) ..mite sound cheesy but..to dj for me is not about being the big i am..its about trying to make others feel the passion i do for my chosen music :lol:

and as for the comment there is no skill in putting records together ...so not true or anyone cud do it eh???..as has been said above..knowing whats in yr box..intros ..exits..styles etc is the key..or it cud be any one playin music in any order in their living room :lol:

gettin me coat

:lol:

Social source share

I will be running and organising my first soul night this Friday night in Wolverhampton and I'm feeling a little nervous at the moment . Its a small venue that holds around 150 people but I've had a positive response allready from potential paying customers .

Im very happy about the DJ line Up , Expensive sound system and venue which I have lavished money on that me and Pete Smith tested out the other night at the venue which sounded like a bag of shite but I have resolved this problem now , venue location which is superb , convident about my performance behind the decks , but I have put myself up on the first spot of the night and have been toying around what to play . Dawn reckons everything I'm playing at home at the moment is far too obscure and will clear the floor , so I have now decide to go with a steady mixture of Northern , Motown & R& b classics.

Here is a few sounds I will probably play .

Out on the streets again- Candy & the Kisses- Scepter.

I cried my life away - Tommy Navarro - Dejac

Harlem - Bill Withers - Sussex.

Leaving here - Eddie Holland - Motown.

Why when love is gone - Isley Brothers - Tamla

Watchdog - Dorothy Williams - Volt.

Mellow fellow - Etta James - Argo.

Or I might change my mind in the meantime but it will be along these lines , whatever it is I'm sure it will be a night of superb music.

Edited by CRAIG W
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Its got to be dead easy being a Northern Soul DJ.

Everyone present will be so glad they are in a club not playing all that commercial rubbish, they can just get on with enjoying themselves and wont have any time to complain. :lol:

Social source share

Its got to be dead easy being a Northern Soul DJ.

Everyone present will be so glad they are in a club not playing all that commercial rubbish, they can just get on with enjoying themselves and wont have any time to complain. :lol:

link

I found it easy, as I told no one and no one came! But as a dancer and not a dj I couldnt take it seriously enough as I was too busy dancing and forgetting to go back and queue the record in!!!

Seriously though folks - good records - yes but what people what to hear, look at the floor as that should dictate - I hate it when someone manages to do that puts lots of 'up tempo - for dancers' on and then decides to stick some ballad on! Why?! I know we might all be looking red and knackered but isn't that what we like!!!

Social source share

I hate it when someone manages to do that puts lots of 'up tempo - for dancers' on and then decides to stick some ballad on! Why?!

Because it's ballads they really want to play. They sound great in their single end but they know they'll have to play uptempo records as they won't get another gig. When the dancers' faces are the right shade of red on goes the beloved ballad. Success it clears the floor and the DJ can later boast of how the audience were more of an Oldies crowd and not up to his progressive msuical taste :lol:

Social source share

Because it's ballads they really want to play. They sound great in their single end but they know they'll have to play uptempo records as they won't get another gig. When the dancers' faces are the right shade of red on goes the beloved ballad. Success it clears the floor and the DJ can later boast of how the audience were more of an Oldies crowd and not up to his progressive msuical taste :lol:

link

Now why didnt I think of that?! :lol:

Social source share

Guest rachel

link

:yes: I've seen people I know play a set of what they think they 'should' play, and on other occasions have the opportunity to play what they really believe in... and the latter are always the better sets. Of course you have to consider what 'the floor' wants... but if you can do that whilst playing tunes that you love, it's the perfect combination and your enthusiasm shows :yes:

Social source share

Guest Jamie

Up until recently I had no experience of playing at different Soul venues, but one thing that sticks in my mind is this paradox:

"Pah, he played it safe just to get the floor full...."

"He didn't read the crowd, he just played to himself and cleared the floor..."

There doesn't seem to be any middle ground.

You seem to be damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I agree with Brett insofar that I only only buy records I believe in. But some of them I buy knowing full well they will never see the turntable in a venue. People will just not dance to them.

It's true that every crowd is different. I don't think there should be a problem with giving that particular crowd what they want. That is why they have paid money to go.

I played a few tunes on Saturday at York that I hadn't played for a long time. They were well received and by that justified.

I'm lucky in the night that I run I am able to play what I want. It's only a small venue, and no dancefloor to take care of as such.

A lot of this disection in real terms is just b0llocks. We anal-yse everthing too much, and that's when it becomes anal.

Just enjoy!

Jamie :yes:

Social source share

:yes: Some great advice been given so far. It surprises me though that nobody has yet said 'Cut out the mindless diahtribe' in between each record.

When you are on the floor and flowing the last thing you want to hear is a DJ giving a life history in between tracks. :yes:

Obvious or should be obvious things like reading the floor and providing a mix of sounds for everyone to enjoy IMHO :yes:

Social source share

TO; "ALL"  SOUL SOURCE MEMBERS,-  DJ'S,  DANCER'S, SOUL FANS, From the NEWBIES, RIGHT THROUGH TO YA' HARDCORE (Northern Soul)  JUNKIES,

I WAS ASKED A STRAIGHT FORWARD QUESTION TONIGHT ABOUT "DJ-ing", By A "Newbie" (Someone Not Long Been into Northern, But Loves IT),

AND I THOUGHT I'D ASK THE SAME QUESTION TO "S.S." MEMBERS? (if thats OK),

The Question was;-  

Is there a KNACK  to DJ-ing ? (& playing Northern Soul) or is it simply a case of   playing  One Record after an Other?

My personal Question is "WHAT MAKE'S A GOOD NORTHERN SOUL DJ"?

HOW CAN A DJ GET ON STAGE / BEHIND DECKS & ENTERTAIN A CROWD?

Especially A crowd Made up of every Different Styles Of "SOUL" fan(s)?

Anyone CAN "Hit & Miss" for an Hour or So, How or What Gets A Hold Of A crowd

& Keeps Them On The Dancefloor?

Simple Question(s). . Or "Tricks of the Trade" ?

Is There Anyone Out There Who'd Like To Share Tip's ? Do's & Don'ts ?

concerning DJ-ing!!!

Obviously,

1/ Having A "Great" record collection,

2/ Having A "Rep"???

3/ Knowing your Crowd?

ANYWAY I'M LOOKING FOR SUGGESTIONS  FROM "N.SOUL" DJ's

SO I CAN WRITE A BOOK. . . N.SOUL'S  "TOP 500"  DJ-ing  TIP'S!!!

"Only Joking About The Book". . .honest guv.

Right That's Me Done,  i'm off to bed  now, cause i'm Wasted!!!

DAVEY SNOWDON (Newcastle upon-tyne).

link

Play tunes that you would personally dance to, was a tip given to me. Not that a consider myself as a DJ. jus someone who plays the first set/. opens the night at Winsford. 20 August Next One

Edited by winsford soul
Social source share

I found it easy, as I told no one and no one came! But as a dancer and not a dj I couldnt take it seriously enough as I was too busy dancing and forgetting to go back and queue the record in!!!

Seriously though folks - good records - yes but what people what to hear, look at the floor as that should dictate - I hate it when someone manages to do that puts lots of 'up tempo - for dancers' on and then decides to stick some ballad on! Why?!  I know we might all be looking red and knackered but isn't that what we like!!!

link

Speak for yourself,i like to think i am a dancer what everybody thinks is another matter,i prefere uptempo stuff but some of the slower things are also awesome,

and the perfect proving ground for them that think they can dance.... :yes:

Social source share

I'm lucky in the night that I run I am able to play what I want. It's only a small venue, and no dancefloor to take care of as such.

A lot of this disection in real terms is just b0llocks. We anal-yse everthing too much, and that's when it becomes anal.

Just enjoy!

Jamie :yes:

link

I had a go at doing my own night. Attendance wise it was very disappointing (that's an understatement :yes: ), however I enjoyed myself playing whatever records I liked and I had a couple of people dancing. :P

Jamie's last statement is very true, just enjoy! :yes:

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

i agree with everyone who says you have to believe in your own choices , ...if you don't no one else will ....and for god sake enjoy it ...it's fun ...

oh yeah and don't turn up at an oldies night with progressive tunes ...you'll die on your arse lolol

Davie

Social source share

If you have to think about it before you go on to do your spot,your not a dj.Like Bruce Lee said, dont think feel. :yes:

link

Bruce Lee`s never DJ`d though,well not on the n/scene anyway his marshall arts

stuff would look cool on the dance floor :yes:

Social source share

Rob Thomas forgets whats in his box b4 he starts

but can and does play good sets when pushed,never let me down

yet

Doug

back yo original answer

10 dont book crap guests on hearsay

11 dont agree astronomical fees

11 make sure the beers cheap(Kenny in mind)

12 make sure advertising is in the correct quarters (Soul source events) well thought about

any thing else keep it numerical

Doug

Souness should move quickly

geordies are better than Welsh(Mr C)

Edited by MAKEMVINYL
Social source share

Am sure he would do a better job than those who spend days planning ther spots

which i find ridiculos, as every nite is totaly different.Just cant see mr dyson rob thomas carl fortnum sitting ther wed nite sorting sats spot out,know what i mean kenny mate :ohmy: .

link

Yep know what you mean,been sorting my set for next 100club for the last 4 weeks,when it comes, all my planning go`s tits up,so finnish up doing it ad-hock

but usualy turns out right in the end whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest pete salland

got to go with the point..show the crowd that YOU are enjoying it.standing with yer arms folded and a smug look ( ner ner look wot i got ) kinda thing aint gonna get yr dancers enthusiastic..being able to give the set some kind of flow is a good point..and if u really cant follow tempo.grab the mike and talk yer way out of it :yes:

rare records are ok if they are any good..but rare doesnt make em danceable.....peeps will throw 'emselves round just as much to a £10 sound as they would for a £10,000 sound

watch yr dancefloor over the sets before u..see what is gettin 'em up no two crowds are the same..and if yer losin 'em change yer tack

as has been said a great sound system is a must or anybody will sound bad :lol:

and finally not being a girl makes life a darned sight easier whistling.gif   ( stickin on me false moustache as we speak lol )

:ohmy:

link

Social source share

Guest pete salland

Rob Thomas forgets whats in his box b4 he starts

but can and does play good sets when pushed,never let me down

yet

Doug

back yo original answer

10 dont book crap guests on hearsay

11 dont agree astronomical fees

11 make sure the beers cheap(Kenny in mind)

12 make sure advertising is in the correct quarters (Soul source events) well thought about

any thing else keep it numerical

Doug

Souness should move quickly

geordies are better than Welsh(Mr C)

link

Social source share

Speak for yourself,i like to think i am a dancer what everybody thinks is another matter,i prefere uptempo stuff but some of the slower things are also awesome,

and the perfect proving ground for them that think they can dance.... :ohmy:

link

But Kenny everyone knows you are the best backdoor person anyone can have!! whistling.gif

Social source share

Am sure he would do a better job than those who spend days planning ther spots

which i find ridiculos, as every nite is totaly different.Just cant see mr dyson rob thomas carl fortnum sitting ther wed nite sorting sats spot out,know what i mean kenny mate whistling.gif .

link

So are you telling everyone who djs and has a collection of over 1000 records that they carry the whole lot with them! : :lol: Everyone has to sort out what they are taking and if you have dj to that venue before you get a feel for what the crowd wantsso you are selective - Sorry mate I think your talking out of your rectum on this one. :ohmy:

Social source share

What makes a good dj????More good tunes and less chatter between tracks..Some big name whistling.gif djs just talk shite between tracks..Leave it alone and let the music flow...

I am into djs who really feel the music behind the decks and dont just stand there looking pissed off..I don't mind djs playing stuff i'm not into a few times if they are really look like they are loving it...Good djs talk with tuneS :lol: ..I would like to see more djs do a Jumpin Joan behind the decks :yes: but some aint got the moves,they can't move more that 2 feet from the beer and fags. :ohmy: ..

Let me know who makes you smile when you see them behind the decks..

for me..

Jumpin Joan

Rodger Banks..

Brian Dunn

Jo Wallace

James Trouble

ETC ETC...ETC....

Have some fun behind the decks,its a great place to be...You are the preacher man looking down on the flock and they have paid to see you,give them the faith and rock the soul..

Rev...Kenny Lynch..

Social source share

So are you telling everyone who djs and has a collection of over 1000 records that they carry the whole lot with them! : :yes: Everyone has to sort out what they are taking and if you have dj to that venue before you get a feel for what the crowd wantsso you are selective - Sorry mate I think your talking out of your rectum on this one. :lol:

link

:ohmy: ,dont think Andy meant for you to take a 1000 records,just usualy "good"

DJs can pick 100/200 good records that will do the job,enough of a range of records so the tat! isnt played over & over & over & over.

Over to you Andy whistling.gif

Social source share

:lol: ,dont think Andy meant for you to take a 1000 records,just usualy "good"

DJs can pick 100/200 good records that will do the job,enough of a range of records so the tat! isnt played over & over & over & over.

Over to you Andy yes.gif

link

So whats good- You have to be selective! and this sometimes takes time even one evening when your trying to match one good! record with another Good record! :ohmy:

I thnk you have to stop digging on this one

Social source share

Not quite so convinced on that 'blending' concept. There are more than enough compelling, out and out dance tracks on this scene to sustain a veritable blitzkrieg of soul. Having spent several years mixing [other genre] dance records and having been afforded the luxury of 6hr sets, I can appreciate the knack of building an atmosphere there. But when you've only got 35mins to an hour max, you've really got to concentrate on 10-20 gems [avoiding the ones anyone else's already played]. Then I'd say hit 'em hard immediately, ease off for one track in the middle to allow for breather/drinks/loo run etc, then hit 'em equally as hard again. As for use of the mike, I always appreciate a bit of humour mixed with a pinch of knowledge and enthusiasm.. [good example, Tim Brown].

IMHO, there are two kinds of DJs - educators and editors. Most of us fall into the latter category as the former is extremely cost-prohibitive. A good editor should visit as many do's as possible and note which tracks work a floor, then obtain them. As we all know, a lot of dancers turn their hand to DJing, mostly borne out of the frustration of hearing disjointed sets and the feeling that they know what other dancers would want to hear. At the end of the day, it's a bit like that camel used to say at the Saturday morning pictures - 'you're never gonna please all of the people, all of the time..'

Personally, I've always thought the art in all of this is understanding what frame of mind your crowd are in before you get on, then pick your set accordingly. Obviously you should only take quality tracks to the gig, with the final cut being made just prior to playing. The only DJs who can afford to turn up with a pre-determined set are those who have paid mega bucks not to be comprimised [in other words those with bloody expensive collections - the educators].

**..falls off soap-box..** yes.gif

Edited by deeve
Social source share

What makes a good dj????More good tunes and less chatter between tracks..Some big name yes.gif djs just talk shite between tracks..Leave it alone and let the music flow...

I am into djs who really feel the music behind the decks and dont just stand there looking pissed off..I don't mind djs playing stuff i'm not into a few times if they are really look like they are loving it...Good djs talk with tuneS :ohmy: ..I would like to see more djs do a Jumpin Joan behind the decks :lol: but some aint got the moves,they can't move more that 2 feet from the beer and fags. :yes: ..

Let me know who makes you smile when you see them behind the decks..

for me..

Jumpin Joan

Rodger Banks..

Brian Dunn

Jo Wallace

James Trouble

ETC ETC...ETC....

Have some fun behind the decks,its a great place to be...You are the preacher man looking down on the flock and they have paid to see you,give them the faith and rock the soul..

Rev...Kenny Lynch..

link

AMEN

Social source share

At the end of the day, it's a bit like that camel used to say at the Saturday morning pictures - 'you're never gonna please all of the people, all of the time..'

The only DJs who can afford to turn up with a pre-determined set are those who have paid mega bucks not to be comprimised [in other words those with bloody expensive collections - the educators].

**..falls off soap-box..** yes.gif

link

True you're never gonna please everybody.

As for DJ's who have paid mega bucks not to be compromised, who's to say they haven't paid mega bucks for a load of old shite? :lol:

As for educators you don't have to just pay mega bucks, I've been educated on a lot of cheapies, Lorraine Randolph - Keep Coming Back For More & The Voicemasters - If A Woman Catches A Fool, to name just 2! :ohmy:

Social source share

I will leave the talkin out of the rectum to you ernie,never mentioned carryin any amount of records just stated what i know to be true of the djs i know.However you are entitled to your opinion were ever it came from,and it is still my opinion

that if you have to prepare like that,you should,nt be doing it.

Social source share

Just to add cant remember any of the soultown djs turning up with more than 100

to 200 records,and they all seem to get by without doing practise runs,over to you kenny  yes.gif .

link

I,ve had the pleasure of DJ,in for you Andy and you know my situation with the amount of tunes i,ve got. Hopefully i done what was wanted and expected of me, with no forward planning, I just turned up and played from my heart and went where i thought the dancers wanted me to go. Fast, Mid tempo, they called the shots just went with the flow

Social source share

I don't know if this has been mentioned already but here goes anyway(have tried to read most of this thread! :) - In my opinion the secret of being a Good northern DJ is to listen to what the previous DJ's have played so as not to repeat a record. In the past I have been dissapointed hearing certain records played up to 3 times during a night! Two dj's were obviously not listening to what was previously played.

There are so many great records out there it isn't necessary to play something twice/three times in one night! :shades:

Social source share

Just to add cant remember any of the soultown djs turning up with more than 100

to 200 records,and they all seem to get by without doing practise runs,over to you kenny  :shades: .

link

:)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert