Hip City Soul Club 13.03.2010

After the tremendous and fantastic "new year starts here" celebration in January it is now our big pleasure to announce the first appearance of THE JAN (Hamburg) and RALF MEHNERT (Hamburg) behind the decks of the Hip City SOul Club. Both are not only able to play some astonishing fresh selections but also to deliver high class Rare Soul played with heart and Soul! I am sure we will have yet another fantastic night down at the Hip City on March 13th!!!

So don`t be square and be there ;-)

post-1700-12645047652775_thumb.png

Edited by Marc Forrest
  • Replies 25
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

The Jan (Hamburg Soulweekender, For Dancers Only)

The Jan started his journeys into Soul as a young Mod from Hamburg. In the early 80s he started the mod fanzine í…¾Modern Boys" togehter with Olaf Ott (who organizesone of Germanys oldest Soulnights The Hamburg Soul Allnighter). Today he manages the booking at Hamburg's Club Hafenklang and deejays once a month mid-tempo Northern Soul and R'n'B treasuries at the í…¾For Dancers Only" nights. He might as well play some modern soul at the weekends ...

Ralf Mehnert (Hamburg Soulweekender)

In 1986 a very young mod danced rather badly atthe regular Hamburg xmas "Soul Allnighter" and as a result bought his first Kent and Soul Supply compilations. Back then Ralf Mehnert could not know that this new founded romantic affair would turn into a love affair lasting for more than twenty years now. He followed his first DJ appearance at the Kiel Scooterrun with sets at various scooter runs and allnighters all over Germany as well as deejaying at the "Cleethorpes Soul Weekender" and "These Old Shoes" in London. Until 2003 Ralf also regularly played the "Turnin' Your Heartbeat Up" Weekender in Nuernberg. In 2006 he and The Jan decided to finally kick off the first Hamburg Soul Weekender.

Edited by Marc Forrest

The Jan (Hamburg Soulweekender, For Dancers Only)

The Jan started his journeys into Soul as a young Mod from Hamburg. In the early 80s he started the mod fanzine í…¾Modern Boys" togehter with Olaf Ott (who organizesone of Germanys oldest Soulnights The Hamburg Soul Allnighter). Today he manages the booking at Hamburg's Club Hafenklang and deejays once a month mid-tempo Northern Soul and R'n'B treasuries at the í…¾For Dancers Only" nights. He might as well play some modern soul at the weekends ...

In 1986 a very young mod danced rather badly atthe regular Hamburg xmas "Soul Allnighter" and as a result bought his first Kent and Soul Supply compilations. Back then Ralf Mehnert could not know that this new founded romantic affair would turn into a love affair lasting for more than twenty years now. He followed his first DJ appearance at the Kiel Scooterrun with sets at various scooter runs and allnighters all over Germany as well as deejaying at the "Cleethorpes Soul Weekender" and "These Old Shoes" in London. Until 2003 Ralf also regularly played the "Turnin' Your Heartbeat Up" Weekender in Nuernberg. In 2006 he and The Jan decided to finally kick off the first Hamburg Soul Weekender.

Sounds like...we're two grandpas with KRí…"CKSTOCK :thumbsup:

... deejaying at the "Cleethorpes Soul Weekender" and "These Old Shoes" in London.

Yeah, what a cosmopolitan!!!

Haven`t been to Cleethorpes for 8 years I think.

The mentioned one was the weekender with Maxine Brown. The `Euro/U.S. guys`n`gals`were behind the decks on saturday afternoon to play some records to tired people in shorts.

I will never forget that german based english soulie who molested me with a taylormade record from a well known Soul Scene face from England which he gave me on stage while I was playing...

`Playthisrecordplaythisrecordplaythisrecordplaythisrecord` `NO!` `Playthisrecordplaythisrecordwhynot?` `Because I have my own with me!` `Bolloxxx ... playthisrecordplaythisrecord`. Meanwhile the `producer` of the record climbed the stage and sat behind me with crossed arms and rolling eyes ... I remember really clear that I didn`t feel really comfortable upstairs ...

The `These Old Shoes` story was in front of one of the Cleethorpes Weekenders. We (some friends from Nuremberg and me) were invited from a nice english lady who was over to play in Germany regulary for 1 or 2 years in the mid/late 90`s. `Come over to London on thursday before Cleethorpes and then you can dj at our Club. I will give you back some of your hospitality you gave me`, she said. After arriving at the Club each of us were allowed to play (believe me or not) 3 or 4 records ...and then a guy from Finland was behind the decks for 20 minutes. After him (and I enjoyed his stuff) the lady took over to play hoursandhoursandhours ... Not a free drink, no `thanks for coming over`and a total lack of hospility...

Maybe it`s about losing the last two wars or winning 54, 74, 90? I don`t know?!?

Edited by Ralf Mehnert

The `These Old Shoes` story was in front of one of the Cleethorpes Weekenders. We (some friends from Nuremberg and me) were invited from a nice english lady who was over to play in Germany regulary for 1 or 2 years in the mid/late 90`s. `Come over to London on thursday before Cleethorpes and then you can dj at our Club. I will give you back some of your hospitality you gave me`, she said. After arriving at the Club each of us were allowed to play (believe me or not) 3 or 4 records ...and then a guy from Finland was behind the decks for 20 minutes. After him (and I enjoyed his stuff) the lady took over to play hoursandhoursandhours ... Not a free drink, no `thanks for coming over`and a total lack of hospility... (Double-PPPFFFFTTTT!!!).

Maybe it`s about losing the last two wars or winning 54, 74, 90? I don`t know?!?

No mate, nth to do with football nor 1918 or 1945...more or less a question of behaviour and attitude. The person you are talking about did show her lack of both more then once. Maybe thats why nobody in Germany has ever invited her again ? LOL !

ATB

Marc

NB

Don`t drink so much late at night !

Edited by Marc Forrest

I will never forget that german based english soulie who molested me with a taylormade record from a well known Soul Scene face from England which he gave me on stage while I was playing...

`Playthisrecordplaythisrecordplaythisrecordplaythisrecord` `NO!` `Playthisrecordplaythisrecordwhynot?` `Because I have my own with me!` `Bolloxxx ... playthisrecordplaythisrecord`. Meanwhile the `producer` of the record climbed the stage and sat behind me with crossed arms and rolling eyes ... I remember really clear that I didn`t feel really comfortable upstairs ... (btw : A FREE DRINK FROM ADY??? PPPPFFFFTTTT!)

I'm usually not that curious and not that much into gossiping but I'd really like to know who you're talking about, PM if you like....

• 2 weeks later...

Extreme good buzz I would say....below taken from 030, one of Berlins Nightlife magazines

b.200.150.16777215.0.stories.030_06_03_13_hipcitysoulclub.jpgSa 13.03. ab 22 Uhr im Oscar Wilde (Backroom)

Musiktrends kommen und gehen, aber der »Hip City Soul Club« bleibt bestehen. Deutschlands dienst¤lteste Partyreihe f¼r »Real & Upfront Rare Soul« wird dieses Jahr 20. Dabei w¤re Zeremonienmeister Marc Forrest schon beim Deb¼t 1990 fast pleite gegangen. Bevor demn¤chst das runde Jubil¤um ansteht, begr¼í…¸en Marc und sein Mitstreiter Franz Heidl mit den zwei Hamburger Mods Ralf Mehnert und The Jan die Veranstalter des erfolgreichen »Soulweekenders«. Im Zeitalter der Digitalisierung setzen sie traditionsbewusst auf original Vinyl-45er Singles der sechziger und siebziger Jahre. Und wie es bei ¤hnlich gelagerten Partys in England Usus ist, wird im Hinterraum eines Pubs bis in die fr¼hen Morgenstunden getanzt.

Don`t know why they choosed to use a old cartoon showing Butch and Keb which was initially used for their gig in Hamburg about seven years ago..

LOL!!

Extreme good buzz I would say....below taken from 030, one of Berlins Nightlife magazines

b.200.150.16777215.0.stories.030_06_03_13_hipcitysoulclub.jpgSa 13.03. ab 22 Uhr im Oscar Wilde (Backroom)

Musiktrends kommen und gehen, aber der »Hip City Soul Club« bleibt bestehen. Deutschlands dienst¤lteste Partyreihe f¼r »Real & Upfront Rare Soul« wird dieses Jahr 20. Dabei w¤re Zeremonienmeister Marc Forrest schon beim Deb¼t 1990 fast pleite gegangen. Bevor demn¤chst das runde Jubil¤um ansteht, begr¼í…¸en Marc und sein Mitstreiter Franz Heidl mit den zwei Hamburger Mods Ralf Mehnert und The Jan die Veranstalter des erfolgreichen »Soulweekenders«. Im Zeitalter der Digitalisierung setzen sie traditionsbewusst auf original Vinyl-45er Singles der sechziger und siebziger Jahre. Und wie es bei ¤hnlich gelagerten Partys in England Usus ist, wird im Hinterraum eines Pubs bis in die fr¼hen Morgenstunden getanzt.

Mops statt Mods!