You'll Never Make The Grade - The Sunlovers

This is a perfect example of a record which really should have been a No.1 monster tune in the mid 70's but was never given a chance. It's a 100% bona fide original Northern traditional stomper with all the perfect ingredients and all the right credentials. As far as I can remember, I don't recall anyone in the UK having this record before it was bootlegged. The first we knew about it was when Selectadisc shipped in a couple of thousand bootlegs attributed to Eddie Parker & The Sunlovers on a label called Aliza. Nobody knew it and we couldn't see the point in shipping in a bootleg which had never been played. It seemed like Soussan had really shot himself in the foot with this one 'cos nobody bothered buying the boot and they were always in the 25p sections of people's boxes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcT9PxL0sJU

A real shame 'cos I think it could have been right up there with the best of 'em if it had been given the opportunity.

Also, whilst we're on the subject, does the Inspirations version of this actually exist or is it simply the exact same track with a name switch?

Ian D biggrin.gif

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Always loved it, Ian.

Was regarded as a classic round my neck of the woods, but agree, it was drowned at birth on the scene as a whole.

Grabbed the 'Eddie Parker' - Aliza 'issue' - as soon as it arrived in 'Sound of Music' Rotherham but was late 70's / early 80's before I picked up the Mutt & Jeff copy.

Great little tune!

:)

Sean

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Always loved it, Ian.

Was regarded as a classic round my neck of the woods, but agree, it was drowned at birth on the scene as a whole.

Grabbed the 'Eddie Parker' - Aliza 'issue' - as soon as it arrived in 'Sound of Music' Rotherham but was late 70's / early 80's before I picked up the Mutt & Jeff copy.

Great little tune!

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Yep. I liked it from the off but the bootleg coming first put me off playing it. There was sort off no point really. I found an original copy in '76 and remember thinking it was a great record which had been wasted pointlessly.

And Ric-Tic's right. The Jessica Jackson & The Outlaws is another prime example of pointless bootlegging along with Lou Courtney's "Me And You Doing The Boogaloo".

What I think happened was that Soussan had got used to supplying Selectadisc with x amount of titles per month, so he jumped the gun on a few records before they had a chance to go big simply to keep the production line going.....

A real shame in the Sunlovers case......

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

This is a perfect example of a record which really should have been a No.1 monster tune in the mid 70's but was never given a chance. It's a 100% bona fide original Northern traditional stomper with all the perfect ingredients and all the right credentials. As far as I can remember, I don't recall anyone in the UK having this record before it was bootlegged. The first we knew about it was when Selectadisc shipped in a couple of thousand bootlegs attributed to Eddie Parker & The Sunlovers on a label called Aliza. Nobody knew it and we couldn't see the point in shipping in a bootleg which had never been played. It seemed like Soussan had really shot himself in the foot with this one 'cos nobody bothered buying the boot and they were always in the 25p sections of people's boxes.

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=fSJGpN_KKGk

A real shame 'cos I think it could have been right up there with the best of 'em if it had been given the opportunity.

Also, whilst we're on the subject, does the Inspirations version of this actually exist or is it simply the exact same track with a name switch?

Ian D biggrin.gif

One of my early purchases (on Aliza_) Loved it, but could never dance to itthumbsup.gif

Psmile.gif

post-9683-12650549273437_thumb.jpg

Edited by paup-ine
Social source share

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=fSJGpN_KKGk

Ian D :D

How do I get to hear this now that the Youtube stream has been removed? thumbsup.gif

KTF.

Drew.

Social source share

• 7 years later...

Had the Aliza boot from the days of Selectadisc and it never occurred to me whether it was actually Eddie Parker or not. A cracking record either way. Looking on Popsike it's not the most expensive record to buy an original Mutt & Jeff, better buy a copy before someone actually starts playing this again. So many great records gathering dust that are rarely or never played in a time when we are subject to same old 'classics' week after week. Let's hope we start hearing it played out some more.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!