I Believe In Miracles - Mark Capanni

This is picking up some interest on other forums. It's the ORIGINAL version of "I Believe In Miracles" by the Jackson Sisters by the song's writer Mark Capanni. Only got issued on a Capitol promo in 1974 and I think is rare as hen's teeth. Oh and it's absolutely brilliant and would make a fantastic closing record anywhere.........

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=ERWLbQqWBu4

Anyone got one and would they take a tenner for it........?

Ian D biggrin.gif

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

• Replies 124
  • Views 25k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Mentioned on here before as well Ian.

Think I put it in the wants forum a while back but with no joy.

Think you'll also find that the Jackson Sisters recorded it first but Mark Capanni had something to do with it (writer or producer possibly).

Might be wrong but don't think it got a 7" release by M C even though there's a pic in the refosoul clip but it did come out on a couple of albums.

Sure if you pop Mark Capanni into the site search box something will come up.

PS, if you manage to get 2 copy's bring the spare to Morecambe for me matebiggrin.gifthumbsup.gif

Social source share

Mentioned on here before as well Ian.

Think I put it in the wants forum a while back but with no joy.

Think you'll also find that the Jackson Sisters recorded it first but Mark Capanni had something to do with it (writer or producer possibly).

Might be wrong but don't think it got a 7" release by M C even though there's a pic in the refosoul clip but it did come out on a couple of albums.

Sure if you pop Mark Capanni into the site search box something will come up.

PS, if you manage to get 2 copy's bring the spare to Morecambe for me matebiggrin.gifthumbsup.gif

No, Mark Capanni recorded it first (he wrote the song) but the Jackson Sisters beat him to release. By the time Capitol had issued it on promo, the Jackson Sisters was out there and selling a few, so Capitol decided not to issue it and probably junked most of the promos too if the truth's known! Typical slow lazy major LOL......

I think he does a belter of a performance and the production is a sheer masterpiece IMO.

The whole process put him off the Music Biz for life and he now runs a successful restaurant in L.A. (all true). Am I right in thinking that this has laid undiscovered for 35 years? I've never see one......

Oh......OK, I'll go up to £50 then.........laugh.gif

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Mark Capanni's version of "I Believe In Miracles" is fantastic and without a doubt one of the absolute hardest to find major label 45s I've ever tried to track down.

It came out as both a mono/stereo white demo and also on an issue with "If Life Was A Ferris Wheel" on the flipside. I've had both, but sold my white demo a couple of months ago. It went for considerably more than £50... :rolleyes:

His other 45 on Capitol is great as well. Info about both:

Mark Capanni - I Believe In Miracles / If Life Was A Ferris Wheel - CAPTIOL 3982

Mark Capanni - A Day In The Blue / If Life Was A Ferris Wheel - CAPTIOL 4092

Yes, "If Life Was A Ferris Wheel" is the b-side on both 45s.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Marc Capanni's version of "I Believe In Miracles" is fantastic and without a doubt one of the absolute hardest to find major label 45s I've ever tried to track down.

It came out as both a mono/stereo white demo and also on an issue with "If Life Was A Ferris Wheel" on the flipside. I've had both, but sold my white demo a couple of months ago. It went for considerably more than £50... rolleyes.gif

His other 45 on Capitol is great as well. Info about both:

Mark Capanni - I Believe In Miracles / If Life Was A Ferris Wheel - CAPTIOL 3982

Mark Capanni - A Day In The Blue / If Life Was A Ferris Wheel - CAPTIOL 4092

Yes, "If Life Was A Ferris Wheel" is the b-side on both 45s.

Brilliant stuff Sebastian. Plus you've just dispelled a myth that it was never issued. Must be unbelievably rare as I went through 1000's of Capitol 45's in the mid 70's and I never saw one then.

What price would you rate this at then? Is up there in the £500-£1000 arena?

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Brilliant stuff Sebastian. Plus you've just dispelled a myth that it was never issued. Must be unbelievably rare as I went through 1000's of Capitol 45's in the mid 70's and I never saw one then.

What price would you rate this at then? Is up there in the £500-£1000 arena?

Yes, it must be amazingly rare.

There really hasn't been any well publicised copies for sale "out in the open" since the existence of his version became a bit better known, so who knows? Seems to be very few copies around. It definitely should be £500+ based on rarity and quality and I think it would reach something along those lines if a M- copy was auctioned on eBay with soundclips etc.

Then again... it's on Capitol and is one of those discs that you might get lucky with and pick up cheap on Gemm.

Social source share

Do you have any info about those albums?

Sadly not Sebastian other than it was a German release & think the other album was a European compilation.

Sorry if the info is a bit incomplete but I got it from a fairly old thread on the EMS forum.

The soundclip that was posted on there was stated as being took directly from the German album.

Social source share

Yes, it must be amazingly rare.

There really hasn't been any well publicised copies for sale "out in the open" since the existence of his version became a bit better known, so who knows? Seems to be very few copies around. It definitely should be £500+ based on rarity and quality and I think it would reach something along those lines if a M- copy was auctioned on eBay with soundclips etc.

Then again... it's on Capitol and is one of those discs that you might get lucky with and pick up cheap on Gemm.

Damn. I dunno Sebastian. I was at a record fair in the Capitol Records car park in L.A. in 1976 and a guy called Bob 'The Bear' Hite from a group called Canned Heat gave me 10,000 records off the back of his truck. There were tons of Capitol promos 'cos Canned Heat were signed to Liberty - a sister label to Capitol but I never saw that bloody Mark Capanni. I would have pulled it out back then 'cos I already knew the Jackson Sisters, although I didn't like it at the time - too messy back then.

Mmmm. I wonder if the UK publisher has any copies.....?

Well, I guess we've established that this is one of those real oddball rarities then..........

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

This is picking up some interest on other forums. It's the ORIGINAL version of "I Believe In Miracles" by the Jackson Sisters by the song's writer Mark Capanni. Only got issued on a Capitol promo in 1974 and I think is rare as hen's teeth. Oh and it's absolutely brilliant and would make a fantastic closing record anywhere.........

Ian D biggrin.gif

Believe it or not, but two copies where found in Oslo a couple of years ago, both issues. And no, they don't want to sell, I've tryed :thumbup:

Social source share

Life is a Ferris wheel was the b side of A Day In The Blue also on Capitol by Mark Capanni,also A day in the blue was on the b side of the Jackson Sisters I believe in miracles on Mumms,It too was written by Mark Cappani.As for being rare I don't know used to see it about a bit in the nineties,I'm sure it got a European release but not 100% sure...last time I heard it played was by Lasse at the Essential Modern Soul Party of which you were there Mr Dewhirst good sir..

Paul.:thumbup:

Social source share

Any Buddy Causey's in that 10,000 Capitol 45s Ian? A Jerry Fuller written and produced, Moonchild production. The sort of thing you would at least want a listen to but a million miles away from what was happening in 1975!

Loved the cd BTW, guess the nagging at Blackpool worked!

Blake

Social source share

Life is a Ferris wheel was the b side of A Day In The Blue also on Capitol by Mark Capanni,also A day in the blue was on the b side of the Jackson Sisters I believe in miracles on Mumms,It too was written by Mark Cappani.As for being rare I don't know used to see it about a bit in the nineties,I'm sure it got a European release but not 100% sure...last time I heard it played was by Lasse at the Essential Modern Soul Party of which you were there Mr Dewhirst good sir..

Paul.hatsoff2.gif

LOL, I picked him up at the airport Paul but I was probably outside having a fag 'cos I can't remember hearing him play that. Good on Lasse!

It sounds like there's more copies in Sweden then anywhere else then?

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

LOL, I picked him up at the airport Paul but I was probably outside having a fag 'cos I can't remember hearing him play that. Good on Lasse!

Ian D biggrin.gif

LOL, think I was outside having a smoke with you Ian cos I can't remember him playing it either.

Might have been Lasse who posted it up on EMS though so the album info might be getting somewhere.

Social source share

Come off it fellas, that's never been a Soul record.

Sounds like a cross between Barry Manilow and Gilbert O'Sullivan.

Wouldn't give you ten bob for it never mind 500 squid.

Ian, I think you've been down South far too long.

And you too Martin.

On the premise that anywhere South of Bolsover, makes you a Shandy drinker too!

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

Come off it fellas, that's never been a Soul record.

Sounds like a cross between Barry Manilow and Gilbert O'Sullivan.

Wouldn't give you ten bob for it never mind 500 squid.

Ian, I think you've been down South far too long.

And you too Martin.

On the premise that anywhere South of Bolsover, makes you a Shandy drinker too!

biggrin.gif

Sean

I think that's a bit harsh Sean. It's merely another great record in a long line of white fellas who occasionally managed to get all the ingredients right within a masterpiece production. OK, so Mark Capanni's plainly no Deep South razor-throated Soul royalty but I think he makes a pretty good stab at it and follows a long line of white vocalists who knocked a great tune out every now and then. He follows Dean Parrish, Johnny Caswell, Paul Anka, Bobby Paris, Benny Troy, Felix Cavaliere and the Anderson Brothers IMO....

Plus I drink proper beer like which I'm quite prepared to prove when we meet up! good.gif

Dig me one up for ten bob if ya can then!

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

I think that's a bit harsh Sean. It's merely another great record in a long line of white fellas who occasionally managed to get all the ingredients right within a masterpiece production. OK, so Mark Capanni's plainly no Deep South razor-throated Soul royalty but I think he makes a pretty good stab at it and follows a long line of white vocalists who knocked a great tune out every now and then. He follows Dean Parrish, Johnny Caswell, Paul Anka, Bobby Paris, Benny Troy, Felix Cavaliere and the Anderson Brothers IMO....

Plus I drink proper beer like which I'm quite prepared to prove when we meet up! good.gif

Dig me one up for ten bob if ya can then!

Ian D :lol:

:thumbup:

It's a good production, right enough Ian, but this particular white boy aint no Eddie Hinton.

Tell you what, if I find one, I'll give it to you.

And you can put the Ten Bob saved towards that pint of John Smiths. :D

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

The soundclip that Lasse posted on EMS came from my white demo copy. That demo copy has since become his white demo copy.

By the way, I don't think there was any competition at all between the Jackson Sisters and Mark Capanni versions in the marketplace at the time of release. There are 14 months between their releases (Jackson Sisters issued in September 1973, Mark Capanni issued in November 1974). I think it's just down to the Mark Capanni version not finding any airplay or sales. Not soulful enough for r&b radio, too soulful and string ladden for MOR/AOR radio. Plus the production must've sounded very dated if you take into consideration the other singer/songwriter type records that were issued in 1974/1975. Don't get me wrong, I love the tune and think it's a masterpiece, but I can see why it failed to stir up any interest with the general public at the time of release.

Would be great to find out the details of those european albums if anyone on here has got them. thumbsup.gif

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Any Buddy Causey's in that 10,000 Capitol 45s Ian? A Jerry Fuller written and produced, Moonchild production. The sort of thing you would at least want a listen to but a million miles away from what was happening in 1975!

Loved the cd BTW, guess the nagging at Blackpool worked!

Blake

QUITE LIKE THIS, MAYBE NOT QUITE THE JACKSON SISTERS BUT WELL WORTH A PUNT, SAD THAT PEOPLE START BANDYING AROUND STUPID PRICES THO, MAYBE £150 IS NEARER THE MARK. GOING BACK TO BUDDY CAUSEY, WAS LUCKY ENOUGH TO PICK BOTH OF HIS CAPITOL 45,S OFF GEMM FOR A TENNER APIECE A FEW WEEKS BACK thumbup.gif .

BRI PINCH.

YORK SOUL CLUB, SAT, 6TH FEB.

Social source share

QUITE LIKE THIS, MAYBE NOT QUITE THE JACKSON SISTERS BUT WELL WORTH A PUNT, SAD THAT PEOPLE START BANDYING AROUND STUPID PRICES THO, MAYBE £150 IS NEARER THE MARK.

Many people with a lot of disposable income are after it. £150 is far too low, it would go for much more than that.

Even the "wrong" Capitol 45 by him sold for almost £100 just a few weeks back on eBay.

Social source share

The soundclip that Lasse posted on EMS came from my white demo copy. That demo copy has since become his white demo copy.

By the way, I don't think there was any competition at all between the Jackson Sisters and Mark Capanni versions in the marketplace at the time of release. There are 14 months between their releases (Jackson Sisters issued in September 1973, Mark Capanni issued in November 1974). I think it's just down to the Mark Capanni version not finding any airplay or sales. Not soulful enough for r&b radio, too soulful and string ladden for MOR/AOR radio. Plus the production must've sounded very dated if you take into consideration the other singer/songwriter type records that were issued in 1974/1975. Don't get me wrong, I love the tune and think it's a masterpiece, but I can see why it failed to stir up any interest with the general public at the time of release.

Would be great to find out the details of those european albums if anyone on here has got them. thumbsup.gif

Mmm. Interesting. So if Mark Capanni's version was recorded first (as I've been informed), then how come it took Capitol 14 months to issue the original on a promo? In fact, maybe it's lucky that it got issued at all since the Jackson Sisters version actually spent 5 weeks on the R'n'B Top 100 in late '73. Maybe that's why it's so rare - it was 14 months too late and the Jackson Sisters stole the thunder.....?

Also I've got to be sceptical about it appearing on any European LP. Why would it (unless it was Publishing promo album)? Mark Capanni wasn't even a household name in his street in L.A. leave alone anywhere else......

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest sigher the gutter snype

damn looks like i might have to take my ebay search of for this 45

cant stop playing it since i heard it on youtube,

sheer class if you ask me, jackson sisters for blasting to the locals at the local pub

mark capanni for turning up and singing in your living room....

i will keep looking and saving the money for when it turns up.....

Social source share

damn looks like i might have to take my ebay search of for this 45

cant stop playing it since i heard it on youtube,

sheer class if you ask me, jackson sisters for blasting to the locals at the local pub

mark capanni for turning up and singing in your living room....

i will keep looking and saving the money for when it turns up.....

Well, I've been looking for 2 years now and haven't turned one up! They're either all in Sweden or Bri Pinch has a load in his loft! laugh.gif

An anthem IMO. Can you imagine anyone not dancing when this comes on........?

Ian D biggrin.gif

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I like it, but then again I am a sucker for major label oddities. But not at the silly money that's being banded about. There's a lot of these nice pop edged blue eyed 70s things about, but this one is a good production. And I have always thought JS was light years ahead of it's 1973 release date in ternms of feel and production.

No doubt about it Ian this came later than the JS, even if he did record it at the same time. Good one though.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

No doubt about it Ian this came later than the JS, even if he did record it at the same time. Good one though.

No, he definitely recorded it before the Jackson Sisters Steve......in his own words:-

"Marco here (Mark Capanni). For your information, my recording was the first recording, however it was released as a promo and published after the Jackson Sisters'.

Mmm.....he's obviously not seen an issue then.....:chinstroke:

Also Bobby Taylor was co-writer on "Miracles"! It obviously must have been written in L.A. not long after "There Are Roses Somewhere In This World" which ups it's Soul credentials slightly LOL....

Ian D :D

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Damn. I dunno Sebastian. I was at a record fair in the Capitol Records car park in L.A. in 1976 and a guy called Bob 'The Bear' Hite from a group called Canned Heat gave me 10,000 records off the back of his truck. There were tons of Capitol promos 'cos Canned Heat were signed to Liberty - a sister label to Capitol but I never saw that bloody Mark Capanni. I would have pulled it out back then 'cos I already knew the Jackson Sisters, although I didn't like it at the time - too messy back then.

Mmmm. I wonder if the UK publisher has any copies.....?

Well, I guess we've established that this is one of those real oddball rarities then..........

Ian D biggrin.gif

Just pulled out my JACKSON SISTERS and you are right, it still sounds too messy now, Ianthumbsup.gif On the other hand I agree with Sean, MC is a ghastly Lounge/disco wallpaper track!sad.gif

Edited by chorleysoul
Social source share

Just pulled out my JACKSON SISTERS and you are right, it still sounds too messy now, Ianthumbsup.gif On the other hand I agree with Sean, MC is a ghastly Lounge/disco wallpaper track!sad.gif

Oh you can't call it Lounge/Disco Wallpaper....that's just unfair.....whistling.gif

....or can you.......? g.gif

You know what Chorley? If this is Lounge Disco Wallpaper then gimme more of it! The production is basically phenomenal, the arrangements are phenomenal, the song is brilliant, the lyrics are wonderful and it 's co-written by Bobby Taylor......

Plus it's better than Wombat innit?

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Read all the posts, I have the Jackson Sisters, but i'd rather have this one...great sound, more laid back, suppose it's just that old favourite...personal taste

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

I'm so glad you and Sean said all this because if I'd have come on here and said that I'd have been crucified and told I was only saying it for effect or because it's 70's or whatever, but it's f*cking awful and you lot must be very easily pleased if you think thats better than the jackson Sisters version. What a waste of bandwidth.

Social source share

you lot must be very easily pleased if you think thats better than the jackson Sisters version.

I didn't say that it is better than the Jackson Sisters version.

But I did say that it is, no matter what anyone of you think of it, a very rare 45 and would command a big price if a copy came onto the market and I'm right about that.

Social source share

I must confess that it's a new one on me, so thanks for bringing it up Ian.

From a songwriting point of view I think it's often fascinating to hear the writer's version of things that become established classics, even if they don't finish up as being as good a record for whatever reason as the more established 'hit' version.

Interesting that Copanni's line about 'on a cloud to Napoli' is not in the Jackson Sisters reading of the song. Yes, he's not the world's greatest singer but this is still a very nice pop-soul record, understandably more about the song than the Jackson Sisters version, which you'd have to say is more about the production and arrangement.

Let's hope he's done OK in royalties over the years from it.

Social source share

I didn't say that it is better than the Jackson Sisters version.

But I did say that it is, no matter what anyone of you think of it, a very rare 45 and would command a big price if a copy came onto the market and I'm right about that.

I can't argue with you about that.

I just think he may be a better songwriter than a singer. Like Jimmy Webb.

Social source share

I'm so glad you and Sean said all this because if I'd have come on here and said that I'd have been crucified and told I was only saying it for effect or because it's 70's or whatever, but it's f*cking awful and you lot must be very easily pleased if you think thats better than the jackson Sisters version. What a waste of bandwidth.

OK, to each their own Pete but please, please if you get hold of a copy I implore you not to snap it in two, cover it in superglue, feed it to any passing vultures or any of those other tortures you put any records made in '73/'74 through mate........:laugh:

Social source share

Not bad imho,but not as good as Jackson Sister's.It would make a good ender Ian...but not as good an ender as for instance Ralfi Pagan - Too late,which is in the same vein.thumbsup.gif

Edited by KevH
Social source share

Not bad imho,but not as good as Jackson Sister's.It would make a good ender Ian...but not as good an ender as for instance Ralfi Pagan - Too late,which is in the same vein.thumbsup.gif

I love Ralfi Pagan Kev, different class. Agree with Sean it's a mediocre version at best.

Social source share

OK, to each their own Pete but please, please if you get hold of a copy I implore you not to snap it in two, cover it in superglue, feed it to any passing vultures or any of those other tortures you put any records made in '73/'74 through mate........:laugh:

I don't do any of those things to records Ian, not on purpose anyway, if I can find one, or if I've got one, it's yours.

Social source share

What that Carstairs breakage was accidental LOL.....?

Even I am not stupid enough to break a perfectly good record just because I think it's a pile of old toss! When I got it, it wasn't broken but it sounded like it had been played with a nail and hissed so bad that you couldn't hear the music, so it was going in the bin anyway!

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

What that Carstairs breakage was accidental LOL.....?

HI IAN,REALLY ENJOYED YOUR COMMENTS ON THE THREAD REGARDING USA COLLECTORS. THE STORIES YOU COULD TELL ABOUT RECORD HUNTING IN THE STATES MUST BE INCREDIBLE. HAVE YOU EVER THOUGHT ABOUT PUTTING YOUR RECOLLECTIONS TOGETHER SOME DAY?.I KNOW THAT THOUSANDS OF RARE SOUL FANS WOULD FIND THAT AMAZING. TO HEAR ABOUT DISCOVERIES AND MEETING ARTISTS IS TO ME JUST AS GOOD AS HEARING THE TUNES.WHAT YOU MUST FEEL WHEN YOU FIND A BONANZA OR EVEN JUST THE ONE OR TWO COPIES OF RARE STUFF. IT REALLY WOULD MAKE FASCINATING READING. ATB, JIM

Social source share

Though I prefer the Jackson Sisters, the Marc Capani isn't at all bad, I thinks its got something going for it at any rate. I think it is the passing of time and your 'taste buds' maturing or something. I would like to hear his version of "A day in the blu" though as I am rather fond of the Jackson Sisters version, so if anyone can post it in refo or point the way to a youtube it would be appreciated.

Best,

RB

Social source share

HI IAN,REALLY ENJOYED YOUR COMMENTS ON THE THREAD REGARDING USA COLLECTORS. THE STORIES YOU COULD TELL ABOUT RECORD HUNTING IN THE STATES MUST BE INCREDIBLE. HAVE YOU EVER THOUGHT ABOUT PUTTING YOUR RECOLLECTIONS TOGETHER SOME DAY?.I KNOW THAT THOUSANDS OF RARE SOUL FANS WOULD FIND THAT AMAZING. TO HEAR ABOUT DISCOVERIES AND MEETING ARTISTS IS TO ME JUST AS GOOD AS HEARING THE TUNES.WHAT YOU MUST FEEL WHEN YOU FIND A BONANZA OR EVEN JUST THE ONE OR TWO COPIES OF RARE STUFF. IT REALLY WOULD MAKE FASCINATING READING. ATB, JIM

Has Ian ever told anybody his DJ'ing debut was down to his dad...:thumbup:

Paul.

Social source share

Though I prefer the Jackson Sisters, the Marc Capani isn't at all bad, I thinks its got something going for it at any rate. I think it is the passing of time and your 'taste buds' maturing or something. I would like to hear his version of "A day in the blu" though as I am rather fond of the Jackson Sisters version, so if anyone can post it in refo or point the way to a youtube it would be appreciated.

Best,

RB

Try the start of the thread Rich.

Social source share

Oh you can't call it Lounge/Disco Wallpaper....that's just unfair.....whistling.gif

....or can you.......? g.gif

You know what Chorley? If this is Lounge Disco Wallpaper then gimme more of it! The production is basically phenomenal, the arrangements are phenomenal, the song is brilliant, the lyrics are wonderful and it 's co-written by Bobby Taylor......

Plus it's better than Wombat innit?

Ian D biggrin.gif

Great lounge/disco, if you like that sort of thing lolthumbup.gif

Social source share

I would like to hear his version of "A day in the blu" though as I am rather fond of the Jackson Sisters version

It sounds nothing like the Jackson Sisters version. In a minute I will upload the two Mark Capanni tunes that aren't already in refosoul.

His releases were obviously geared towards AOR/MOR radio and the comparison with Jimmy Webb that Pete did above is not far off. The "other" Mark Capanni tracks are very mellow sunshine pop / soft rock tunes. "A Day In The Blue" even reminds me a bit of Glen Campbell's take on "By The Time I Get To Phoenix".

Social source share

I must confess that it's a new one on me, so thanks for bringing it up Ian.

From a songwriting point of view I think it's often fascinating to hear the writer's version of things that become established classics, even if they don't finish up as being as good a record for whatever reason as the more established 'hit' version.

Interesting that Copanni's line about 'on a cloud to Napoli' is not in the Jackson Sisters reading of the song. Yes, he's not the world's greatest singer but this is still a very nice pop-soul record, understandably more about the song than the Jackson Sisters version, which you'd have to say is more about the production and arrangement.

Let's hope he's done OK in royalties over the years from it.

hearing this was similar to hearing the original version of "betcha by golly wow" by connie stevens -- bizarre and not bad and totally unexpected, but not as good as the stylistics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytksbAHzP38

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!