Blue Room Sale

Citizen P

• Replies 18
  • Views 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

The recent talk about the Hardrock got me rememberancing this one.

Mid week Night around 1974 ish, Ian Levine and Colin Curtis.

Happy Days:yes:

Anyone else recall??

Tony

Thursday nights I think and All-Dayers as well.

We used to pay half fare on the bus from town, it was something silly like 4p.

Ya it was a good night, but back than it was soul nights out 7 days a week.

North West back than really was the place to live.

Dave.

Social source share

Guest Jimmy Scriv

I used to work Saturday nights there and also went to the Thursday Nights on occassions. The Blue Room was the smallest club in the Mecca Organisation. Great atmosphere and friendly people. Managed by Tom West (RIP) who used to run the Highland Room and managed a lot of soul venues.

Social source share

Dave.

Remember the All Dayer too, that had to have been about '76 or so, unless there was more than one, cos I took my then Girlfriend, who hated it:laugh: .

But, she married me anyway:angry:

:laugh:

ATB

Tony

Social source share

Dave.

it sure was but out of the 7 nights i always considered sale the beginning of the week :thumbsup: the fee entry coupon out of blues and soul always helped too :yes:

anyone remember the frisbee throwing competition with tomorrow promos in the car park? better not say any more on that really!! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Remember the All Dayer too, that had to have been about '76 or so, unless there was more than one, cos I took my then Girlfriend, who hated it:laugh: .

But, she married me anyway:angry:

:laugh:

ATB

Tony

There might have been only one not sure, but at one Levine did a oldies set which was a rare thing back than.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Dave.

Sure was,

forgetting The Rickets, outdoor bogs, cockroaches and rats the size of terriers.

We had

Piccadilly Club- Monday

Intercon(later Carolines) Tuesday

Carlton, Warrington-Wednesday

Blue Room Thursday

Pendulum-Friday

Wigan-Saturday

Ritz or another All Dayer-Sunday

and F*ck All the rest of the week.

Tony

Social source share

Guest proudlove

The recent talk about the Hardrock got me rememberancing this one.

Mid week Night around 1974 ish, Ian Levine and Colin Curtis.

Happy Daysyes.gif

Anyone else recall??

Tony

Tony,Hutch was over at ours on Sunday ,and funnily enough he was talking about the Blue Rooms.He had a job there behind the bar.................when he was 16.

I will see when he comes over again if he will tell tales.

Steve

Social source share

Dont think i ever missed a thursday at the blue rooms the all dayer remember it well didnt we have someone on like major lance, it was the closest you will ever get to a singer. The Blue rooms may have been small but it had a big reputation. sure they used to try a lot of records out before spinning them at the Mecca, as said by someone it was the start of the weekend then. Also used to go to tiffany's in newcastle under lyme on a sunday colin used to do that as well.

Mark

Social source share

I was shackled together with Cathy by then and living in Tottington, but my younger brother Simon used to bore me rigid with his stories of how good the Blue Rooms were in this period . He went with a bunch of other Stretford lads [ Siz ? ]

I used to tell him ' bin there done that in the late 60's ', but he insisted that was just a baby Mecca Sunday night pick up pop dancey thing [ he was right ].

He'd say some times Ian L. was playing an hour or so of unknowns / hardly knowns, and then all of sudden would go a bit ' known ' and the floor would pack and stay packed.

I've lost count of the 70's things I heard for the first time only YEARS later that he'd say ' that was played at the Blue Rooms '.

Don't even know if this post is on thread or not, but as it featured big time in both our lives, I thought I'd share .

pete lyster

Social source share

Loved the Blue Rooms used to get the train from Sale to picadilly and from picadilly to Stockport fell asleep many a time and woke in Stafford rolleyes.gif

The music was fresh and different I am sure Ian and Colin experimented a lot there . Dave Evison used to do a spot . A good sound system and a big mirror along the back wall , remember the poseurs dancing facing the mirror .

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Loved the Blue Rooms used to get the train from Sale to picadilly and from picadilly to Stockport fell asleep many a time and woke in Stafford :rolleyes:

The music was fresh and different I am sure Ian and Colin experimented a lot there . Dave Evison used to do a spot . A good sound system and a big mirror along the back wall , remember the poseurs dancing facing the mirror .

It was also bad when you stayed in the Club too long, and miss the last train from Picc' to Stockport - had to hang around until the early hours to catch a freight-train.

Got a lot of fond memories of the Blue Room - remember it seeming very posh to me at the time:huh: - well, compared to the Pendulum.

Social source share

The Blue Rooms "oh happy days" I used to wait for carl on platform 13 [ i think] at piccadilly, he was on the train from levenshulme, he used to hop off or give me a wave and i would join him on the train, apart from one night. As usual i was waiting at the platform carl's train pulled in however he was nowhere to be seen, ok no problems he must have missed it, be on the next for sure whistling.gifwhistling.gif it seemed i was waiting for ages and of course mobile phones were many years in the future so no way of contacting him. Eventually God knows how many trains later Carl turned up looking pretty fed up, WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN! i asked in a polite manner. C.W.s reply was " been round at a blokes house trying to get the Anderson Bros out of him, but somebody got there before me!"

Who said the times they are a changing?rolleyes.gif

maria w

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!