Your Very First Exposure To Northern Soul And Decided This Is For Me

When did you receive your first true real exposure to northern soul and decided this is for me and what was the 1st record if you can remember.:hatsoff2:

mine was wakefield tiffs circa 71/72 they used to have a side room the nocturne bar where we weere not allowed to go in due to age but you could here it......... AND IT WAS AWESOMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE , better than all the pop sh#te played in teenie disco.

Rob

Edited by Naughty Boy
Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

When did you receive your first true real exposure to northern soul and decided this is for me and what was the 1st record if you can remember.:hatsoff2:

Rob

THE PENDULUM IN MANCHESTER. I WAS TAKEN BY A GIRL I HAD JUST STARTED SEEING. I WAS INTO MOTOWN AND PHILLY SOUND . I WONDERED ABOUT ALL THESE TUNES ADVERTISED IN BLUES AND SOUL , NONE OF WHICH I KNEW. THIS WAS LATE 72 AND THOUGHT I KNEW A LOT ABOUT SOUL. AFTER GOING TO THE PENDULUM THAT WAS IT FOR ME. FIRST TUNE THAT RANG A BELL WAS LANDSLIDE ALSO DUKE BROWNER .THINGS WOULD NEVER BE THE SAME AGAIN. THAT WASTHE GOLDEN AGE OF NORTHERN SOUL .

Social source share

THE PENDULUM IN MANCHESTER. I WAS TAKEN BY A GIRL I HAD JUST STARTED SEEING. I WAS INTO MOTOWN AND PHILLY SOUND . I WONDERED ABOUT ALL THESE TUNES ADVERTISED IN BLUES AND SOUL , NONE OF WHICH I KNEW. THIS WAS LATE 72 AND THOUGHT I KNEW A LOT ABOUT SOUL. AFTER GOING TO THE PENDULUM THAT WAS IT FOR ME. FIRST TUNE THAT RANG A BELL WAS LANDSLIDE ALSO DUKE BROWNER .THINGS WOULD NEVER BE THE SAME AGAIN. THAT WASTHE GOLDEN AGE OF NORTHERN SOUL .

kinnel thats well strange because it was landslide that did it for me ill tell ya

Rob

Social source share

Rob

Got into soul at school disco and new era youth club, what 1969.

1st real exposure to northern, Blackpool Mecca Oct 1971.

That was the point of no return for me.thumbsup.gif

I don't really know what the 1st record that stood out.

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

DID YOU GO TO THE PENDULUM DAVE? GOOD SOUL NIGHTS AT RAFTERS ,FIRST HEARD SKIING IN THE SNOW THERE. WITH MALCOLM BARRY THE DJ, HE GOT ME DJ GIG AT PIPS WHEN I WAS 18 . GREAT DAYS.

Social source share

mine was wakefield tiffs circa 71/72 they used to have a side room the nocturne bar where we weere not allowed to go in due to age but you could here it......... AND IT WAS AWESOMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE , better than all the pop sh#te played in teenie disco.

Rob

Funny thing Darwin Tiffs, room they used for the soul room was called nocturne as well.

It run on a Wednesday night from summer of 74 to the summer of 76.

Had all-dayers there as well, most of the big name DJs at the time where on at one time or other.

Social source share

bloody hell wish they had played northern at my school disco angry.gif . It would have saved me time searching for something to get into instead of the usual top 20 crap laugh.gif

Social source share

Funny thing Darwin Tiffs, room they used for the soul room was called nocturne as well.

It run on a Wednesday night from summer of 74 to the summer of 76.

Had all-dayers there as well, most of the big name DJs at the time where on at one time or other.

no doubt they had a bali hi bar too thumbup.gif they moved the soul up to this in wakey tiffs sometime in the late 70ts early 80ts

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

bloody hell wish they had played northern at my school disco angry.gif . It would have saved me time searching for something to get into instead of the usual top 20 crap laugh.gif

THE MUSIC PLAYED AT OUR SCHOOL DISCO FRIDAY LUNCH TIME WAS LATEST MOTOWN AND T REX STUFF LIKE EDDISON LIGHTHOUSE A LOT OF REGGAE . YOUR READY NOW WAS POPULAR BUT I DIDNT KNOW IT WAS NORTHERN SOUL AT THE TIME

Social source share

Not really northern as such. Tamla Motown, Atlantic etc,smile.gif

It was also before Dave Godin's soul of the north quote.thumbup.gif

I told some of the older lads in town that I liked soul, so on my 16th birthday they took me to the Mecca.thumbsup.gif

So to Paul King, Joe & Pete Sol, Tony Hurd and Mick Fish. Thanks.shades.gif

Social source share

THE MUSIC PLAYED AT OUR SCHOOL DISCO FRIDAY LUNCH TIME WAS LATEST MOTOWN AND T REX STUFF LIKE EDDISON LIGHTHOUSE A LOT OF REGGAE . YOUR READY NOW WAS POPULAR BUT I DIDNT KNOW IT WAS NORTHERN SOUL AT THE TIME

ours tended to be similar but never really bothered nothing stood outwink.gif only the skirt ohmy.gif

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

me bezzie mates big bro used to send us down to bews record shop to collect his soul imports, had to listen to them over & over again whilst waiting to play my electric warrior lp !

THAT WAS T REX RIGHT? WE USED TO SING ALONG TO THE LYRICS OF RIP OFF. LYING ON THE BEACH WANNA TICKLE YOUR PEACH ITS A RIP OFF.thumbup.gifthumbup.gif

Social source share

THAT WAS T REX RIGHT? WE USED TO SING ALONG TO THE LYRICS OF RIP OFF. LYING ON THE BEACH WANNA TICKLE YOUR PEACH ITS A RIP OFF.thumbup.gifthumbup.gif

dancing in the dark with the tramps in the park, its a rip off ,heads gone now ,pity he didnt pass on some of these lyrics ts gloria, shades.gif

Social source share

Guest proudlove

Jim,is Druffies................Dukinfield Rugby Club?

Steve

Social source share

Approx 1977 when still at school, after hanging around mate's house, as his big brother had boxes of soul records. When Pete went out, we used to play all his tunes, stuff like Billy Thomson - Black eyed Girl , David & Giants - 10 miles high, Mary Love - Turned my bitter into sweet etc etc.

Pete & his mate Des, then took 3 of us youngsters to Central Hall in Kettering for an E.A.S.C. all-dayer in about 1977/78 & the rest is history as they say!!

We stood in amazement at the dancers for hours, before plucking up the courage to have a go ourselves. We must have looked a right bunch of "Herberts" in our cap-sleeve t-shirts, Tunnel Loop trousers with matching "Right on brother" belts & Solatio shoes.whistling.gif

Regardless of dress sense ( or lack of it ), i was hooked right away, it was like finding your niche in life, it was where i wanted to be. The tunes i remember from that period were stuff like Gwen Owens - Wanted & Needed, Carl Carlton - Competition aint nothin', The Reflections - Like Adam & Eve, Freddie Chavez - They'll never know why, Eloise Laws - Love Factory, Gil Scot Heron - The Bottle, The Chandlers - Your love makes me lonely, & many many more!!

The passion has never left me, even on my break from the scene for marriage/ Kids etc & being back now for me is better than ever.

I wrote this in memory of Peter Mulrainey who suddenly passed away on New Years Eve 2009 at the age of 49 years. Pete, many thanks for the memories & for my introduction to the Soul scene. May you rest in peace my friend!!

many thanks,

John Mc.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

Jim,is Druffies................Dukinfield Rugby Club?

Steve

YES STEVE, IT ORIGINALY RAN IN THE LATE 70S. TREVOR BRIDGE AND MYSELF TOOK IT ON AGAIN IN 2002 AND DID IT FOR ABOUT 12 MONTHS , TILL IT WENT THE WAY OF A LOT OF SMALLER VENUES. HAD SOME GREAT TIMES THERE. ATB, JIM

Social source share

Guest proudlove

YES STEVE, IT ORIGINALY RAN IN THE LATE 70S. TREVOR BRIDGE AND MYSELF TOOK IT ON AGAIN IN 2002 AND DID IT FOR ABOUT 12 MONTHS , TILL IT WENT THE WAY OF A LOT OF SMALLER VENUES. HAD SOME GREAT TIMES THERE. ATB, JIM

Thought it was, I went out with a lady from Dukinfield in thseventies(kinell that makes me feel old) and went to Druffies a few times.Bird cage in Ashton on (I think) Thursday night...............

Cheers Steve

Social source share

Only being a youngster! :thumbsup:

I did not get onto the scene until the early 80s

I was living in London, so i went out in London all the time, it was great! :)

So it was about 82 at The 100 Club, then The Capitol Soul Club & Scenesville, (chuffed to bits to find my old membership cards), but i still heard quite alot of the music on the Mod scene, at The Mousetrap, The New Untouchables nights, Almost Grown(in Southend), & The Undergroud nights :thumbup:

Cant remember what track i heard first at The 100 Club, but a couple of records from this time still spring to mind :lol:

The Cashmeres-Showstopper

The Ivories-Please Stay

These are still 2 of my fav tracks today good.gif

Debbie x

Edited by parkash
Social source share

The old welfare hall Conisbrough, this was opposite the Lord Conyers and Boylands record shop,

the building also doubled up as changing rooms for the football pitches where the building stood.

Can't remember the year i first attended was taken along by big sis and friends, scooters parked outside,

and a good crowd waiting to get in. first record ( i didn't know it at the time ) Billy Harner, What about the music,

i used to sit on a table alongside the dj every friday night taking notes of tracks i wanted, must have got on his nerves

at times. I owe my love of soul to this man, DJ then Steve Linstead. A big THANK-YOU.

Social source share

Rob

hey rob did you never go to the boys club or the georges bub used to dj at the boys club and I remember ebby rob slater steve midgley used to go to the georges before setting off to the wheel best kim

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Alderman Smith School youth club, Nuneaton, 1978. Probably 1st record was The Champion, Coloured Man, Nine Times Out Of Ten, On A Magic Carpet Ride or If You Loved Me. Something like that. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

The Fairways Club Wrexham February 1968 - a Friday night. General soul night with 2 DJs (Apollo Disco) spinning the records. Was anticipating a general 'pop' disco, not even sure that I knew the term 'soul music' then.

Remember climbing the stairs to the first floor and hearing the immortal line 'Soothe me baby, soothe me, soothe me with your kindness' - what the f*ck is that? Got to the first floor and saw a roomful of heaving dancers - a seminal, jaw dropping experience. Next sound up - 'What does it take to win your love for me? How can I make this dream come true for me?'. I was hooked ....... and as they say (42 years on) the rest is history.

The next day I was scouring local record shops (Cranes and the Wrexham Market) for the records I'd heard that night. Within a few months I was running my own mobile disco.

Someone told me that there was some teacher guy from a nearby village who also ran 'a bit of disco' and played some soul records - Martin some-thing-or-other (odd surname).

Made more enquiries and telephoned this guy to check what he was up to - was invited to his place to compare records. Went down to his place the next weekend and we both realised that we had very similar tastes in music.

He knew of a few places that were bringing in American import records and did I want to go with him to see what was available. We went on most weekends to scour various record stores around the country and picked up many 'new' (now oldies laugh.gif ) records.

We went together to the local youth clubs to try to get bookings to run soul discos and we found ourselves playing at the 2 major local youth centres (independently) on alternate weeks.

We have both been friends all this time - while he continued to single-mindedly collect records since then, I followed the traditional path - married, mortgage, kids blah, blah, blah........

So here we are 42 years on and the passion hasn't diminished, although he does much more than me in terms of DJing.

So there you go..... my potted soul history.

Brian thumbsup.gif

Oh by the way .... the teacher with the odd surname - Barnfather - AKA - Soul Samshhh.gif

Edited by Brian Ellis
Social source share

Guest soul elite

The Fairways Club Wrexham February 1968 - a Friday night. General soul night with 2 DJs (Apollo Disco) spinning the records. Was anticipating a general 'pop' disco, not even sure that I knew the term 'soul music' then.

Remember climbing the stairs to the first floor and hearing the immortal line 'Soothe me baby, soothe me, soothe me with your kindness' - what the f*ck is that? Got to the first floor and saw a roomful of heaving dancers - a seminal, jaw dropping experience. Next sound up - 'What does it take to win your love for me? How can I make this dream come true for me?'. I was hooked ....... and as they say (42 years on) the rest is history.

The next day I was scouring local record shops (Cranes and the Wrexham Market) for the records I'd heard that night. Within a few months I was running my own mobile disco.

Someone told me that there was some teacher guy from a nearby village who also ran 'a bit of disco' and played some soul records - Martin some-thing-or-other (odd surname).

Made more enquiries and telephoned this guy to check what he was up to - was invited to his place to compare records. Went down to his place the next weekend and we both realised that we had very similar tastes in music.

He knew of a few places that were bringing in American import records and did I want to go with him to see what was available. We went on most weekends to scour various record stores around the country and picked up many 'new' (now oldies laugh.gif ) records.

We went together to the local youth clubs to try to get bookings to run soul discos and we found ourselves playing at the 2 major local youth centres (independently) on alternate weeks.

We have both been friends all this time - while he continued to single-mindedly collect records since then, I followed the traditional path - married, mortgage, kids blah, blah, blah........

So here we are 42 years on and the passion hasn't diminished, although he does much more than me in terms of DJing.

So there you go..... my potted soul history.

Brian thumbsup.gif

Oh by the way .... the teacher with the odd surname - Barnfather - AKA - Soul Samshhh.gif

biggrin.gifYATE 1975, i had never dreamt anything like it existed but i was completely smitten from the first time!!

Social source share

My first exposure to proper soul music was at "The Hot Pot" Earls Court London in around 1969 went with my cousin after months of pestering by me to take me,low and behold i loved it,all motown stuff id never heard it wasnt called Northern then just soul music.

Then along come people like Randy Cozens, Ady Croasdell,Mick Smith and the like I found proper Northern Soul in and around London ...Henri's.....Birds Nest Hampstead......101 club Clapham etc......then progressed onto more up front places ie Wigan,Hinckly, Stafford

Oh such joys it was to

My memory of a top tune was Velvet Satins Nothing can compare to you played by Mick Smith, Caroline Crawford Forget about me played by Tony Rounce along with Hoogie Choocie man and loads more,ThenRandy was into Maxine Brown stuff One in a million

Never looked back since

Toby

Social source share

Great idea for a thread.

My first taste of soul was in '68 (the term Northern wasn't around yet, although I seem to remember the term "Uptown" being used) was at "The Revolution" club in Sutton -in -Ashfield Notts Capacity around 200). The music just hit me from the start and soon after started collecting records. I used to go with mates from (very recent) school days but realised they were more interested in downing pints and I was more into getting down! The club used to have live bands on and can rember seeing Inez & Charlie Foxx there. I was also working with a few people who went to the Mojo, Dungeon, Junction, Wheel etc. but those guys were so cool .....you would never dare to ask for a lift. A few years later one of my best mates was one of these guys and we had a few laughs about it. Records that first hit me where "Lets Go Baby", "Girls are out to get you", "Billy's bag" "Love makes a woman" all very common nowadays but totally unavailable at that time something I realised when trying to buy "Mr Bang bang man" at our local record shop, the asistant put me straight which led to sending for record lists, one of the first I received was from Brian "45" Phillips, sure enough "Bang Bang" was on it....£5 U.K. orig, trouble was my weekly wage was 4 10/-

Looking back getting on the scene just seemed a natural thing to do and have always felt that it was a path I was destined to follow.

Happy days that led to many happy years.

Ulyssees.

Social source share

When did you receive your first true real exposure to northern soul and decided this is for me and what was the 1st record if you can remember.hatsoff2.gif

Rob

I first was introduced to northern soul was when my brother rob and myself along with my parents used to visit my dads best friend who was a sales rep for a well known record co

and guess what he had a back room with no furniture just the floor boards completely covered with demo records not all were soul but i can remember there were plenty in particular all major Lance's, and another i can remember was Twine time by Alvin cash and the crawlers i can remember we spent most of our time in the spare room.

Rob i can remember tiffs wakefield very well with rick Vaughan and frankie on the decks in the main hall .Tiffs wakefield had their own dance team can,t remember all of them but there was

little Marlene, Tommy Litherland, Ian gouerlay and i think steve midgeley and rob Slater.Upstairs i can clearly recall Tony Banks Playing for the first time Keep on keeping on, N.F.Porter.

Social source share

Rob

A differnt slant to the Allnighter thread.

Going out with lass from Bedford, I come from luton, she took me to a soul disco at a hotel by the river in Beford, opposite side of bridge to the pilgrims, anyway, Dingle was the DJ, walked in and Soul Time Shirley Ellis blew me away, as others have said, the rest is historythumbsup.gif

John Tappenden has been mentioned in other threads, anyone remember Lyn Chadwick and Linda Keech, Paul Kettles, his old man ran the PK disco, Geraldine Marsden or Jaqueline Stringer....all from the Bedford area?, O, I know this is the wrong thread but.........

Social source share

I was 12yrs old....some lads came to our school disco and asked the dj to put some records on theyd brought..

my friend Elaine told me it was her brother and his mates....they introduced me to the music....first northern soul night i ever went to was Colmans in Nottingham, went up the stairs,through the doors first song i heard,i think it was Sweet Talking Guy by the Chiffons....thats was it,totally hooked....never looked back.

KTF

Susan

Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest roggert

I first was introduced to northern soul was when my brother rob and myself along with my parents used to visit my dads best friend who was a sales rep for a well known record co

and guess what he had a back room with no furniture just the floor boards completely covered with demo records not all were soul but i can remember there were plenty in particular all major Lance's, and another i can remember was Twine time by Alvin cash and the crawlers i can remember we spent most of our time in the spare room.

Rob i can remember tiffs wakefield very well with rick Vaughan and frankie on the decks in the main hall .Tiffs wakefield had their own dance team can,t remember all of them but there was

little Marlene, Tommy Litherland, Ian gouerlay and i think steve midgeley and rob Slater.Upstairs i can clearly recall Tony Banks Playing for the first time Keep on keeping on, N.F.Porter.

hi ive been trying to find mates from the niters 1965 onwards i knew steve midgley but was told he passed on some time ago but you mention tommy litherland and rob slater from barnsley area do you know if they are still alive as it s been 30 odd years since seeing them last

thanks roggert -sheffield

Social source share

My first experience was in 1974 at the local youth club - These guys hit the dance floor with very very smart clothes on and just broke out into backdrops and seemed to glide across the dance floor - the record they were dancing to was: - Seven Days Is Too Long - Chuck Wood - WOW they just made the record come to life, it was truly spectacular. I had never seen anyone dance to a record the way that these 6 guys did. This was certainly the turning point in my life as it was very different to what was on top of the pops and no one at school had heard about this or what dance they were doing when I spoke to my friends. We went back every week just to watch never daring to get on the dance floor. (Not the case now I am happy to say)

At the Bridlington weekender last year I actually bumped into one of the guys who obviously did not recognise me but to me he hadn't changed in appearance and he still looked great and thats over 30 years ago.

It would have been nice to see all 6 of them again - gawd how time flies

Happy daysthumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Phoenix8049

When did you receive your first true real exposure to northern soul and decided this is for me and what was the 1st record if you can remember.hatsoff2.gif

Rob

I was into Northern Soul music back in the 60s without even knowing it existed.

Got my first taste when i moved from London to Manchester in 1974.

I was walking round the underground market in Manchester and a stall was playing Jackie Lee Oh my Darling.

And i have never managed to get away from the Addiction since

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

I was into Northern Soul music back in the 60s without even knowing it existed.

Got my first taste when i moved from London to Manchester in 1974.

I was walking round the underground market in Manchester and a stall was playing Jackie Lee Oh my Darling.

And i have never managed to get away from the Addiction since

i think that stall had dave evvison working on it for russ winstanley

Social source share

There was a stall in the Oasis market where Martin Ellis and others worked it could get quite lively on a Saturday afternoon and I remember one bloke ( one of the Rowntrees crowd) really going for it dancing one afternoon and Martin Ellis ever the showman clappping away behind the counter and getting an atmosphere going.

Cheers

Manus

Social source share

I got into Soul about a year ago through a friend of mine - he owns a record or two...... whistling.gif

I'm a complete Soul newbie as there is no scene in Holland whatsoever and I am on here to listen to so much of the Music on a daily basis. I am utterly amazed this Music never reached Holland as I am totally smitten. I'm originally from the Folk scene.

Needless to say I don't have any records at all....... it's all new territory for me and love reading about all the rich history in here. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Back in 1972 one of my mates sisters was going out with one of the soulspinners 4 from ormskirk.

we were just spotty schoolkids who had a penchant for reggae at the time, so we already had a black music background.

He left a box of records at her house and we had a listen, as you do, to these great unknown records.

JJ Barnes-Sweet Sherry, Otis Smith-Let Her go, Joy Lovejoy-In Orbit etc.

Later on i started to hear these tracks at the lunchtime disco at school ( Pete Lawson was in the year above me) in Ormskirk.

As i said, great records, but it was only when heard in the right surroundings they take on a whole new meaning. For me that was at Wigan Casino.

Walking in to the Beachcomer, through the puddles on the floor and the holdalls strewn everywhere, the sound was the very atmospheric "under my thumb",

not soul but eeirie.

Then up to the Empress ballroom where the music hit you right in the chest with the bass and, it seemed like an electric current was passing through you, making you more alive than you ever felt before, and ever would again, it seemed.

Billy Prophet-what can i do, Garnett Mimms-looking For you, linda Jones-My Heart Needs A break, Johnny Bragg-There talking About Me,

all had that immense and intense sound when in the right location, and from then on i was hooked. I sold all my jamaican 45's and albums to bankroll this new obsession.

Andy Love.

Social source share

Back in 1972 one of my mates sisters was going out with one of the soulspinners 4 from ormskirk.

we were just spotty schoolkids who had a penchant for reggae at the time, so we already had a black music background.

He left a box of records at her house and we had a listen, as you do to these great unknown records. JJ Barnes-Sweet Sherry,

Otis Smith-Let Her go, Joy Lovejoy-In Orbit etc.

Later on i started to hear these tracks at the lunchtime disco at school ( Pete Lawson was in the year above me) in Ormskirk.

As i said, great records but it was only when heard in the right surroundings they take on a whole new meaning. For me that was at Wigan Casino.

Walking in to the Beachcomer, through the puddles on the floor and the holdalls strewn everywhere, the sound was the very atmospheric "under my thumb",

not soul but eeirie. Then up to the Empress ballroom where the music hit you right in the chest with the bass and,

it seemed like an electric current was passing through you, making you more alive than you ever felt before, and ever would again, it seemed.

Billy Prophet-what can i do, Garnett Mimms-looking For you, linda Jones-My Heart Needs A break, Johnny Bragg-There talking About Me,

all had that immense sound when in the right location, and from then on i was hooked. I sold all my jamaican 45's and albums to bankroll this new obsession.

Andy Love.

Social source share

Guest Phoenix8049

There was a stall in the Oasis market where Martin Ellis and others worked it could get quite lively on a Saturday afternoon and I remember one bloke ( one of the Rowntrees crowd) really going for it dancing one afternoon and Martin Ellis ever the showman clappping away behind the counter and getting an atmosphere going.

Cheers

Manus

Ah yes Martin Ellis, a very old and good friend of mine.

God rest his soul, i miss him a lot.

Actually it was a stall run by Tony Juste from Manchester.

I bet a lot of people will know me on here, when i say i used to help him out on his stall quite a lot after that.

got to play all the great Northern sounds all day,can't be bad.

Talking about it makes it seem like yesterday,can you believe that is 36 years ago.

Social source share

Cheers

Manus

I remember the Oasis stall selling at about the time of Wigan opening,

The Sweet "Broken Heart Attack" on Smash for next to nothing.

Than it was a big cover up for Dickie about 7 years later.yes.gif

BTW Martin Ellis top character. R.I.P.

Social source share

Ah yes Martin Ellis, a very old and good friend of mine.

God rest his soul, i miss him a lot.

Actually it was a stall run by Tony Juste from Manchester.

I bet a lot of people will know me on here, when i say i used to help him out on his stall quite a lot after that.

got to play all the great Northern sounds all day,can't be bad.

Talking about it makes it seem like yesterday,can you believe that is 36 years ago.

Yes it's difficult to believe it's so long ago - I remember a very dodgy instrumental getting played 2 or 3 times there one afternoon off an LP I'm pretty sure by Martin Ellis he kept playing it and then putting it back to the beginning and playing it again- I don't know why that sticks in my mind - we used to come down from Gateshead so it was a great place to go and spend an hour after getting off the train and listen to the sounds being played.

All the best

Manus

Edited by manus
Social source share

I remember the Oasis stall selling at about the time of Wigan opening,

The Sweet "Broken Heart Attack" on Smash for next to nothing.

Than it was a big cover up for Dickie about 7 years later.yes.gif

BTW Martin Ellis top character. R.I.P.

Hello Dave

I remember going to the Oasis stall once and as we were leaving a big riot kicked off with a group of rastas and the security guards and the police it all got a bit heavy but all part of growing up I suppose and I wouldn't have missed those expereinces for anything.

Cheers

Manus

Social source share

Guest Phoenix8049

Yes it's difficult to believe it's so long ago - I remember a very dodgy instrumental getting played 2 or 3 times there one afternoon off an LP I pretty sure by Martin Ellis he kept playing it and then putting it back to the beginning and playing it again- I don't know why that sticks in my mind - we used to come down from Gateshead so it was a great place to go and spend an hour after getting off the train and listen to the sounds being played.

All the best

Manus

That Instrumental you are talking about might have been Mike Vickers - On The Brink,

I know Martin loved that record and it did go massive sometime later.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!