14Th Anniversary, The Spiders Web, Edinburgh

14th Anniversary All-Dayer, "The Spiders Web, Edinburgh

Saturday 6th February 2010

First of all a massive thanks to everyone that came along and especially those that made the long journey up to Edinburgh to attend our 14th Anniversary All-Dayer.

Special thanks to Andy Bellwood, Pete Burgess, Chris Waterman, Paul Jones for coming along, also a big thank you to all the DJ's who made this a very special day:

Ray Parker / John Reid / Roddy Brass / Brett Franklin / Eddie Hubbard / Keith Money & Kenny Burrell.

The music all day was great and for such a small club in Scotland, you would have been hard pressed to hear such a selection in any club in the country.

Photo's are posted on the following site:

https://spidersweb.my...bumName=album10

www.groovecitysoulclub.co.uk

See you all at the 15th in 2011 !!!

Thanks again,

George Wallace,

scotsoul50@aol.com

Edited by scotsoul50
  • Replies 9
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

glad you had a great nite george (sorry i couldn't make it) but listened to paul and brett on clarky's radio show, good tunes and a lot i didn't know ( which always adds to my wants list).

good pics btw

all the best

gogs

Many thanks to George and Maureen for inviting me up to DJ at The Spiders Web , a fantastic atmospheric venue , with superb across the board music policy , and such a passionate crowd of friendly people who made me so welcome .Also great to meet up with my Scottish pals ,Soulmac , Phyllis , Keith and Sandra ,Alan Watson , Davy Marshall , Charlie Watson and many more .This is my set between 9.45 and 11pm :

DARRELL BANKS - I'M THE ONE WHO LOVES YOU

SAM DEES - I'M SO VERY GLAD

THE ETHICS - I WANT MY BABY BACK

ARCHIE BELL / DRELLS - GO FOR WHAT YOU KNOW

MILTON WRIGHT - LIKE A ROLLING STONE

DETROIT EMERALDS - HOLDING ON

WILLIE KENDRICK - GIVE ME LOTS OF LOVIN '

ERNIE AND ED - INDICATION

DORE STRINGS - GONE WITH THE WIND

DONALD JENKINS - SOMEBODY HELP ME

MINNIE JONES - SHADOW OF A MEMORY

LYDIE MARCELLE - IT'S NOT LIKE YOU

FLIRTATIONS - STRONGER THAN HER LOVE

SONNY CRAVER - I'M NO FOOL

MARGIE JOSEPH - I'LL ALWAYS LOVE YOU

BESSIE BANKS - DON'T YOU WORRY BABY

DEE DEE WARWICK - FUNNY HOW WE CHANGE PLACES

GLORIA SCOTT - WHAT AM I GONNA DO

GLORIA SHANNON - TEARS ARE GIFTS FROM HEAVEN

BARBARA WEST - CONGRATULATIONS BABY

BARBARA LYNN - NICE AND EASY

SHIRLEY WAHLS - WHY AM I CRYING

PAT HODGES - PLAYGIRL

RHONDA DAVIS - CAN YOU REMEMBER

FLOWERS - WE CAN MAKE IT HAPPEN

SOUTHSIDE MOVEMENT - DO IT TO ME

SCOTTY WILLIAMS - THE FEAR

LEE HARVEY - MY ASSURANCE

VONDA MARIA - OPEN ARMS CLOSED HEART

LOU RAGLAND - I TRAVEL ALONE

Many thanks ,Eddie

Guest HensTeeth

What a fantastic night! One of the best at the Web in ages, even tho I say so myself. Many thanks to George and Ray for their hard work in making it all happen ... and I'm loving the cd btw!

It was great to meet guys like Eddie, Brett, Roddy, and to chat with Kenny B (thanks for the kind words and encouragement as I'm still fairly new to this dj lark, and it's much appreciated!) and of course to get the chance to chat with some of the regulars like Andy and Philly - yes? (I believe you liked my set tho you missed most of it! lol) who keep the place going on a monthly basis.

Some great records played, with the usual expected high quality from all, particularly Kenny. Special mention also to Keith Money for playing Kings Of Soul - it doesn't get much better than that for me - and I told him so! Really looking forward to dj-ing again next month, and then I believe, the month after that, and the month after that, and so on! :thumbup: Cheers George and Ray - I won't let you guys down, I will strive to keep the standard as high as I can!!! Everyone get yourselves along early next month as I plan to have a cd lined up for George and Ray to give away to the first 30-odd through the door!!!!

For the record, here's my set from the 6:30-7:30 slot on Saturday night (p.s. most of these will be on my cd!): -

FREDDIE GORMAN – TAKE ME BACK (RIC-TIC)

MASQUERADERS – I AIN'T GONNA STOP (AGP)

CARL HENDERSON – THAT GIRL (RENFRO)

JOE HINTON – GOT YOU ON MY MIND (BACK BEAT)

BARBARA WEST – CONGRATULATIONS BABY (RONN)

JEAN BATTLE – I'VE GOT TO COME IN (CLINTONE)

SPELLBINDERS – HELP ME (GET MYSELF BACK TOGETHER AGAIN) (COLUMBIA)SHOWSTOPPERS – GOTTA GET CLOSER TO MY LOVE (INFERNO DJ DEMO)

RAY JIMENEZ – LEAVE HER ALONE (COLUMBIA)

GAIL WYNTERS – YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE IN LOVE (HICKORY)

ATTRACTIONS (FEAT. MORRIS CHESTNUT) – WHY SHOULDN'T A MAN CRY (BELL)

SPONTANES – WHERE DID I GO WRONG (UNITED ARTISTS)

DETROIT SOUL – ALL OF MY LIFE (MUSIC TOWN)

BALLADS – I CAN'T SEE YOUR LOVE (VEE JAY)

DEBBIE TAYLOR – DON'T LET IT END (GWP)

PETE WARNER – I JUST WANT TO SPEND MY LIFE WITH YOU (POLYDOR)

LINDA JONES & THE WHATNAUTS – I'M SO GLAD I FOUND YOU (STANG)

CLYDE MCPHATTER – LONELY PEOPLE CAN AFFORD TO CRY (AMY)

ELDRIDGE HOLMES – GONE, GONE, GONE (JET SET)

IRIS HARVEY – BETRAYED (COLUMBIA)

CHARLES PERRY – HOW CAN I (KEEP FROM CRYING) (MAGNUM)

Cheers,

John R. :good:

Edited by HensTeeth

First time for me at the Spiders web and what a cracking night with a good mix of music,it was worth the long journey up to Edinburgh,it was good to meet up with Zane,Fio,both Georges,Eddie,Phylis,Benny,Kieth....and all the rest,I could go on all day.

Glad you enjoyed the show Gogs,for anyone who missed the show there is a link to listen to it on Essential Modern Soul under radio show section,I will try to put a link up on SS.

Paul.

14th Anniversary All-Dayer, "The Spiders Web, Edinburgh

Saturday 6th February 2010

First of all a massive thanks to everyone that came along and especially those that made the long journey up to Edinburgh to attend our 14th Anniversary All-Dayer.

Special thanks to Andy Bellwood, Pete Burgess, Chris Waterman, Paul Jones for coming along, also a big thank you to all the DJ's who made this a very special day:

Ray Parker / John Reid / Roddy Brass / Brett Franklin / Eddie Hubbard / Keith Money & Kenny Burrell.

The music all day was great and for such a small club in Scotland, you would have been hard pressed to hear such a selection in any club in the country.

Photo's are posted on the following site:

https://spidersweb.my...bumName=album10

www.groovecitysoulclub.co.uk

See you all at the 15th in 2011 !!!

Thanks again,

George Wallace,

scotsoul50@aol.com

don't know what happened to my earlier post - seems to have got lost , so here goes again....

We finally made our 1st visit to the iconic Spiders Web venue and had a marvellous time as becomes its reputation and tenure of 14th years and no wonder .

Its a wonderful basement venue with a prefect dance floor under those vaulted ceilings . Great sound system , a fantastic DJ line up and plently of top notch tunes along the away - a perfect underground soul package .

Lovely to catch up with Kenny Burrell to whom i'm always grateful for his generosity & support during my YKSOUL days, raising money for charity : Also great to see 'gentleman' Brian Cardo , from Berwick who runs the excellent Berwick Weekenders .

Can't thank George Wallace & the crew enough for making us so welcome , such a shame we had to leave much, much too early to catch that last train back to York . Had a strange vision though on the way home - Brett Franklin draped in the flag of St Andrew whilst spinnin' his tunes lol .

crackin' complementary cd .

So in summary - big recommendation from us - we'll be back for sure and stay over so as to have the 'full on' Groove City Soul Club experience @The Spiders Web .

Andy & Denise

Edited by andybellwood
Guest Brett F

Massive thanks to George Wallace for inviting me to guest, and an equal massive thank you to all the Spiders Web crowd who danced to everything i played (along with my helper Mr Marshall....note to self never go out boozing with a Scotsman at 11am:laugh:) What a great appreciative soul crowd, the music was truly a mix of the genres, i enjoyed all the dj's ( even though my taste is quite different), it's great to hear quality 60's soul vinyl, it made a refreshing change for this 70's fan, cheers fellas' i'll be back. Ps Mr & Mrs Jones you were superb travelling companions, and i haven't laughed as much for ages. Thumbs up to Edinburgh a great city.

A few things i played, box was all over the place records in wrong sleeves etc...

REY VILLAR & THE ROYAL FLUSH - HEAVEN IS MY WITNESS - ECBOLIC

CLYDE MILTON - I'D RATHER LEAVE ON MY FEET - DISCO-TAC

JAMES BROWN - PEOPLE WAKE UP AND LIVE - POLYDOR ?

JOHNNIE MAE MATTHEWS - I HAVE NO CHOICE - BIG HIT

SANDRA WRIGHT - MIDNIGHT AFFAIR - TRUTH ( FOR DAVY)

DOLLY GILMORE - YOU'RE THE YES IN MY LIFE - DOVE

LEONARD ADAIR - THAT SMILE UPON YOUR FACE - SOUND STAGE

MATT BROWN - EVERYDAY - JAR VAL

NATE EVANS - MAIN SQUEEZE - TWINIGHT DEMO

SAM NESBIT- CHASE THOSE CLOUDS AWAY - AMOS DEMO

CARL HALL - WHAT ABOUT YOU - COLUMBIA DEMO

F.J. JONES - GONE AND FOUND ANOTHER - PHILO SPECTRUM

JERRY WASHINGTON - DON'T WASTE MY TIME - GLADES

BRENDA AND THE TABULATIONS - THATS IN THE PAST - DIONN DEMO

BRAD LUNDY - I WANT TO SHARE - LUNDY

ETC, ETC, DAVY MAY BE ABLE TO REMEMBER AND FILL THE BLANKS IN LOLthumbsup.gif

WITH MRS JONES, MR JONES TO RIGHT

GEORGE, PAUL AND DAVY

PS LINK TO LEITH FM RADIO SHOW I DID THE FOLLOWING DAY LIVE WITH PAUL JONES.

Edited by Brett F

brett you have a bout as much chance as me remembering what u played as about a snowball in hell m8 , i just pulled out what ever in the box and knowing every record was a class in a glass , glad to have helped out one of my fave djs anytime :yes: . and what a weekend it was , to have paul dionne and brett in my house was a privlage , im just glad you enjoyed it , george has beening put these nights on for a few years and he and maureen deserve a lot of praise for getting the djs above to play at this venue , i for one really app what he does , and his wife maureen makes the best soup in scotland barr none :thumbup: note to self always take good yorkshire lads and lassies out for strong drink :yes: ha ha ha , was also good to meet up with eddie once agin no just a good dj but a top class guy as well . and also big up to keith money , kenny and the rest of the djs on the night ,

davy

Source Advert