Unexpectedly Good B Sides

Suinoz

I have just acquired a very nice copy of the storming tune by Ronnie Forte,' that was whiskey talkin' on the Tarx label. Nothing was mentioned about the b side by the seller so i thought i would play it and see... Wow !! when i dropped the stylus onto the vinyl it absolutely blew me away and imo is better than the a side. A song titled ' nervous breakdown '. Gotta say it was more than a pleasant surprise. Have you ever been blown away by an unexpectedly good b side?? What's the best one for you ? ATB Tony. OZ.

Social source share

• Replies 42
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I have just acquired a very nice copy of the storming tune by Ronnie Forte,' that was whiskey talkin' on the Tarx label. Nothing was mentioned about the b side by the seller so i thought i would play it and see... Wow !! when i dropped the stylus onto the vinyl it absolutely blew me away and imo is better than the a side. A song titled ' nervous breakdown '. Gotta say it was more than a pleasant surprise. Have you ever been blown away by an unexpectedly good b side?? What's the best one for you ? ATB Tony. OZ.

Actually this morning !

Postie dropped me a copy of lanie hill - time marches on - new voice

I love this tune BTW - and got outbid so many times it was starting to really piss me off.

anyway - spun it over this morning expecting to hear some white pop and I am hearing a fantastic Soulful beat ballad that I had never heard before.

Its called "aint I worth a dime" for those who dont know it.

Its a spectacular and lovley mid tempo beat ballad IMHO

Just a perfect b side !

Both sides of the Ronnie Forte are great arn't they - apparentley they played both sides of that 45 on the cleethorpes pier all them years ago !

Edited by mossy
Social source share

two for me

the other side of jerry fullers' double life , a tracked called turn to me gave me goosebumps the first time I heard it. The other one is the b side of the charmaines track eternally on date , a little thing called 'if you ever'...probably my fav record in my box now.

what a great feeling it is to find a cracking flip.

Social source share

two for me

the other side of jerry fullers' double life , a tracked called turn to me gave me goosebumps the first time I heard it. The other one is the b side of the charmaines track eternally on date , a little thing called 'if you ever'...probably my fav record in my box now.

what a great feeling it is to find a cracking flip.

Dead right Eric, i'm certainly gonna be going through my boxes and see what other gems can be found Stay soulful mate. ATB Tony.

Social source share

I also think the overlooked flip side of Rose St. Johns I know the meaning is a nice tune "fools dont laugh"

Patrice Holloways "stolen hours" has a great overlooked flip "lucky my boy"

We could go on all night really couldn't we ! LOL

Edited by mossy
Social source share

It amazes me to think people don't flip there 45's as a matter of cause when they get them. I mean, would you buy an LP and only play the track you know?

I collect LPs as well as 45s - I always try to listen to the whole thing, even if I just skip across the wide bits that usually don't interest me, I always play the b side of a single I have bought.

LPs can be strange tho IMHO

There are complete and fantastic Lps like the Hesitations, Tempests etc which you can play from start to the end. Totally essential Northern Soul Lps if you like ?

Then there are the LPs that may just have one Northern Soul track on them - Rufus Lumley springs to mind.

I bought an LP the other week by a woman called Marge Dodson on the strength of a 45 which I really like called "be your baby" (decca 45)

This Lp has no other tunes that even come close to "be my baby" - and the rest of the LP is a sort of Nancy Wilson mid 60s standard affair if you get me.

But I always collect LPs, because sometimes the northern tune you wanted the LP for can lead you in to a whole new 35 minutes of

weird funky shit that you may not have been expecting, and it gives you the bigger picture about the artist.

I am looking forward to getting Manny Corchados LP on Decca this week - I will play the whole thing from start to finish as a matter of course.

I doubt I will hear anything that will better "POW WOW" but its all the in-between bits that you don't get with the 45s !

Sometimes these are the bits that join the dots for me ?

No ?

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Always play these buggers all the way through lol

I have the Freddie B LP - Ive always loved "you better get hip girl" - I have never seen it on anyone's play list - shame cause its just a really nice tune.

Maybe just being kept warm for future spins eh ?

Social source share

quick few for yer

soul blenders - tightrope/drivin' me mad - knight

eddie wilson - just call on me/toast to the lday - tollie

jimmy gresham - this feelin i have/(can't remember the flip and don't want to dig it out now - but trust me it's good) - teri-de

Social source share

Unexpected?No. :no: ALWAYS play the b side. Theres hundreds of great ones. Check the bsides of Walter & the admirations, Timi Yuro, Towanda Barnes and the rest!

Social source share

I picked up Gino Washington for the "Like My Baby" side and was pleasently suprised by "I'll Be Around":wicked:

The "I'll Be Around" side was the main play in the 80's and is great. The "Nervous Breakdown" side of Ronnie Forte is spoken about quite alot so surprised you missed that one Tony.

Too many great flips to metion them all but two new ones to me that I'm enjoying are "Come On Down To The Ghetto" by the Superlatives and "Verbal Expressions Of TV" by Johnny Thunder - bit more obscure but that's the kind I'm digging for nowadays.

ATB

Greg. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I mean, would you buy an LP and only play the track you know?

Guilty of the above 100s and 100s of times.

When I collected singles if I know the record I never played the other side.

If I had got a lot of records I did not know I would play both sides (soul packs, bulk buys etc)

A classic eg = "Gonna wipe away the teardrops" when I 1st heard it out, went to the stage to see what it was.

I couldn't belive it was the other side of "The day my heart stood still" by Ollie Jackson.

I am even worse with CDs, last year after doing some decorating Lou counted 147 CDs still unwraped.

She was not best pleased, give me a earbashing why do you keep buying, you don't need them etc.

There's more now. lol.

Edited by davetay
Social source share

Over the years I've found lots (too many to mention individually) of great tunes on the flip and sometimes I end up prefering that side.

For me, what seems to be cropping up more these days is that there's an indemand sweet or deep side on the back of an indemand funk or northern side so one mans A-side is another mans B-side and vice versa. This then can lead to different genre collectors both wanting the same record which sometimes leads to bidding wars and a general increase in price.

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

I'm really really fond of the b-side to Johnny Baker's "Operator, Operator". It's called "Accept Me As I Am" and it's the epitome of what I think of as deep soul. On an upbeat tip - the b-side to Lloyd Price's "Feelin' Good" is "Cupid's Bandwagon" - written by Popcorn Wylie - and a great dancer - in my bedroom anyway...

Social source share

There are soooooooo many really exellent flips :thumbup:

Motown singles in the 6Ts got me into this and initially when collecting thats what I bought - double headers :lol: BUT that was in the day when u could go into a record shop and ask to hear them first - oh happy daze lol :thumbsup:

Social source share

The "I'll Be Around" side was the main play in the 80's and is great. The "Nervous Breakdown" side of Ronnie Forte is spoken about quite alot so surprised you missed that one Tony.

Too many great flips to metion them all but two new ones to me that I'm enjoying are "Come On Down To The Ghetto" by the Superlatives and "Verbal Expressions Of TV" by Johnny Thunder - bit more obscure but that's the kind I'm digging for nowadays.

ATB

Greg. :thumbsup:

Verbal Expressions of TV is a great track, love it. Can't help thinking Jamiroquai meets Stevie Wonder! Much prefer this side to the other 'I'm Alive'.

Chris

Social source share

I'm really really fond of the b-side to Johnny Baker's "Operator, Operator". It's called "Accept Me As I Am" and it's the epitome of what I think of as deep soul. On an upbeat tip - the b-side to Lloyd Price's "Feelin' Good" is "Cupid's Bandwagon" - written by Popcorn Wylie - and a great dancer - in my bedroom anyway...

Still get caught out with not flipping everything, Loyd Price :thumbsup: .. Not flipped it, will do so first thing tomorrow.. good.gif

Social source share

ATB

Greg. thumbsup.gif

Yep Greg but I only really knew about the A side. It prompted me to rake out a load of 70's disco records i still have ( dare i say that on here ) and play the b sides of them. No word of a lie there are some fantastic tunes among them and a lot that are perfect for today's scene. Obviously overlooked by the northern soul fraternity cos the artists were labelled 'disco ' singers. However i will be posting some of them up soon so the members on here can make up their own minds. I was shocked when i heard some of them. One group in particular was the Trammps. Some great b sides on their Buddah singles. ATB Tony. OZ.

Social source share

Waited to get a copy of The Fabulous Peps-With These Eyes on Wheelsville instead of the Wee 3 copy as it's got the brilliant & my prefered side Love Of My Life on the other side.

A Classic............ Emanuel Laskey-I'm A Peace Lovin' Man..........Sweet Lies Thelma

Lesser known one..........Alvin Valentine-Sweet,Sweet Revenge Brunswick.........forgotten Torch oldie with the great There Oughta Be A Law on the other side that has been picking the odd play up recently.

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Two or three slower/midtempo "B" sides that I like.

1. Whats that on your finger - Willie Kendrick

2. I may not be what you want - Bobby Sheen

3. Under the streetlamp - Exits.

So many good ones.

Andy

Social source share

Two or three slower/midtempo "B" sides that I like.

1. Whats that on your finger - Willie Kendrick

2. I may not be what you want - Bobby Sheen

3. Under the streetlamp - Exits.

So many good ones.

Andy

Yes the exits flip to Got to have money......... Nice lyrics too about wanting to escape the ghetto " Bobby wants to be an heavyweight champ"... Soul indeed..

Social source share

Nice topic and so so many to choose from....

Just a few for now...

Tyrone Davis... You made me suffer.... flip to please consider me... True deep gritty soul ballad thats up there for me, always a joy to play this to folks....

Eddie Giles... I got the blues... Flip to losing boy... Quality quality deep soul ballad with balls..

The Tams... Take away... flip to hey girl don't bother me.. A great mid tempo ballad that catches so many people out...

Mitty Collier.. You hurt so good.. flip to i can't lose.. Deeeep bluesy ballad ooooh yes!

Capitols... Hello Stranger.. flip to cool jerk... Blew my socks off a few years ago when i first heard this fantastic version..

Eddie Holman.. I love you.... Flip to i surrender... One of the finest soul ballads you could ever wish to hear, the voice on this track is mind blowing and then just wait for the last 10 seconds and play it loud, it will blow your windows out..

Bud Harper.... Mr Soul.... flip to let me love you... Top quality mid temo soul ballad that reminds you of Bobby Band at his very best... So overlooked by many people still...

Syl Johnson... Come on sock it to me.... flip to try me.... Syl Johnson is a master, a great cheap record that would grace most collections... two stormin sides of soul indeed..

And last we have one of the finest records ever made... Lorraine Rudolph.. I'll keep coming back for more.... Flip it over, if you like your deep wailing ballads then this could really send you into orbit, stunning voice....Real deal soul for me....Another one to play loud in a dark room....

All these are my humble choices... They may rock some and leave others cold... flip it and see....

Social source share

Guest Ollie Lailey

I picked up Gino Washington for the "Like My Baby" side and was pleasently suprised by "I'll Be Around":thumbsup:

I picked up Gino washington For "I'll be around" and was well pleased with "like my baby"!

Another couple I almost overlooked was the flip of Spyder Turner "i cant make it anymore" called "don't hold back" also the flip to Brenton Wood "gimmie little sign" called "I think you got your fools mixed up" is fantastic and about a thousand times better than the A side!

Social source share

How spooky that this thread should start up today , I have had a lovely copy of

Bettye Swann - Make me yours , the first thing I did was play the flip side. I will not cry What a brilliant brillant slab of soul.

Other B sides

Marva Josie - I love New York (a - don't)

Jimmie (SOUL) Preacher - Go on Ahead (a- I'm gonna do it by myself )

Don Gardner - Tighten up your love bone (a - Is this really love )

Buddy Ace - Nothing in the world can hurt me (a- It's gotta be me)

Social source share

Bettye Swann - Make me yours , the first thing I did was play the flip side. I will not cry What a brilliant brillant slab of soul.

Other B sides

couple more

Connie Van Dyke and Silkey Hargreaves on wheelsville - 2 45s but 4 top drawer sounds

Social source share

Other B sides

Mak

Another great Bettye Swann double sider is..................The Man Who Said No/What Can It Be on Money...........both cracking dancers.

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Yep Greg but I only really knew about the A side. It prompted me to rake out a load of 70's disco records i still have ( dare i say that on here ) and play the b sides of them. No word of a lie there are some fantastic tunes among them and a lot that are perfect for today's scene. Obviously overlooked by the northern soul fraternity cos the artists were labelled 'disco ' singers. However i will be posting some of them up soon so the members on here can make up their own minds. I was shocked when i heard some of them. One group in particular was the Trammps. Some great b sides on their Buddah singles. ATB Tony. OZ.

Prime example for me being

"Goodbye Love We're Through" b side of "Tom The Peeper" Disco/Funk classic by Act One (UK Mercury, or US Spring (I think)).

Great piece of 70's soul music :yes:

Took me 35 years to discover that :D

Social source share

and Darrow Flether - "Little Girl", flip to "What Good Am I ..." (Jacklyn 1006). Another stunner.

Phil

Gotta say a big thanks for so many positive replies to my thread. I like many have probably never bothered to flip a great record over just because i purchased it for the ' main ' side. Something my missus is alway's giving me grief over cos she has found some brilliant tunes on the flips and play's them out. It's great to pull out a tune thats been in your record box for years and you then discover it has a great tune lurking on the b side that has'nt been overplayed and, to then get a really positive response from the dancers when you do play it. It's almost like ' discovering ' new sounds. Like i said i'm gonna be posting up some of the lesser known b sides to some ' disco ' hits, why ?? cos they are just so damn good. Anyway please feel free to keep the thread going and once again a big thanks to those that have posted replies. ATB Tony. OZ. Spreading the Faith down under.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!