2010-07-02: Whitby Soul Weekender 2010

I have a great video of a "real life soulboy" and some amazing dancing at Whitby .

Is there anywhere on here i can put it up ? Is there a special area ? It will make you smile I am sure of it.

I wouldnt bother Carms

Itl only fuel more ignorent remarks from people with a history of slagging anything Goldsoul!

The people who ACTUALY attended the whole thing are the ones who count

Theres nothing wrong with CONSTRUCTIVE CRITISM thats how things get better

Now the two venues vertualy run in parrallel people are bound to compare and mayby have a favourite one out of the two!

NOTHING wrong with that either!!

To me the you cant releally compare the two events anymore,,, Bridlington is now 5 Room affair that can handle a much bigger crowd,, etc etc

Whitby is a much smaller event i cant honestly see how you can compare the two

They BOTH have great things to offer depending on your personal preference!

Bridlington has been running some years now and is established , but its certainly HASNT stopped Whitby carrying on and being the success it is,,, especially as Brids early publicty classed themeslelves as the Antidote!

Folk have proven theres room for BOTH weekenders and thats a credit to ALL the people who attend either or EVEN both weekenders

And thats what counts surly!!!

Personally i dont think i could handle two on the trot at my age!!

I interested in who ALL these Hanbaggers where who out numbered the soulies,,,,,, what utter claptrap!!

Love to hear this person to DEFINE handbagger

I find it an AWFUL term me self,,,

Im sure id have noticed if they supposedly have outnumber the Soulies ,,,, unless in this persons eyes most of us there are the handbaggers!!

If so IVE COME OUT!! after 40 Years on the Rare Soul Scene Im a Handbagger and " Itl Never Be Over For Me"

Now wheres me Lambrini!!

Come to think of it now ive "come out " Whitby was SHITE---- i was there ALL WEEKEND and i NEVER heard THE SNAKE once!!:thumbup:

I too HATE this STUPID comparison stuff

Come on people theres a few people passed away off the scene in the last few years ,,, seems to be more and more as we get older

Think of poor SANDRA SHAW an OUT and OUT SOULIE and Scene regula whos has been horificaly injured recently and cant do the thing we take for granted each week!!

Sorta brings it into propective a bit dont it!!

Booked for next year and even got £30 off the hotel compared to this year result or what!

Nige B

• Replies 197
  • Views 23.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest dazzzzler

Carmen.....Don't waste your breath hun. If we put Stevie Wonder, The Salvadors and Yvonne Baker on at Whitby for a Fiver,Hurryup(Margaret Hey) would be complaining. :hatsoff2:

She's just insulted many of her friends and fellow Yorkshire folk who go to Whitby.

Good to see Yocky thoroughly enjoying himself along with the rest of us. A pleasure to see many fabulous people and not a handbag in sight. :lol:

Look forward to seeing everyone next year(July 1-3)

Best Wishes- Kev and Bill(Snowy) on behalf of the 9th Whitby Soul Weekend.

like i said in my pre post i enjoyed it all,but you have to respect peoples opinions either good or bad thats the risk in putting venues on and starting threads.p.s as for so called handbagers they make the numbers up be it whitby,brid.etcso long as they respect the dancing,music etc i avnt a problem with it.and for the record we all know wot handbaggers are dont kid yourselves:lol: :ohmy: .roll on next year for yet another double wammy.:thumbup:

After all the years you've been in this busniess (something that you usually bang on about), I would have thought you'd have learnt one or lessons by now.

In my post, I have not insulted anyone, least of all my friends. I merely stated that Whitby doesn't "do it for me."

Everyone's entitled to their opinion but unfortunately you don't like anyone who doesn't think you're venues are the best thing since sliced bread. Obviously a lot of people do enjoy them, but, I for one, didn't enjoy this years - ok?

And by the way, I'd be very happy to pay £30 to see the above artisits but I wouldn't want to part with £5 to go back to Whitby.

You want to get personnal, I can oblige!!

Any chance you could stop ambushing our thread? It's about the good time we had at Whitby.

Hurry up and shut up!

I wouldnt bother Carms

Itl only fuel more ignorent remarks from people with a history of slagging anything Goldsoul!

The people who ACTUALY attended the whole thing are the ones who count

Theres nothing wrong with CONSTRUCTIVE CRITISM thats how things get better

Now the two venues vertualy run in parrallel people are bound to compare and mayby have a favourite one out of the two!

NOTHING wrong with that either!!

To me the you cant releally compare the two events anymore,,, Bridlington is now 5 Room affair that can handle a much bigger crowd,, etc etc

Whitby is a much smaller event i cant honestly see how you can compare the two

They BOTH have great things to offer depending on your personal preference!

Bridlington has been running some years now and is established , but its certainly HASNT stopped Whitby carrying on and being the success it is,,, especially as Brids early publicty classed themeslelves as the Antidote!

Folk have proven theres room for BOTH weekenders and thats a credit to ALL the people who attend either or EVEN both weekenders

And thats what counts surly!!!

Personally i dont think i could handle two on the trot at my age!!

I interested in who ALL these Hanbaggers where who out numbered the soulies,,,,,, what utter claptrap!!

Love to hear this person to DEFINE handbagger

I find it an AWFUL term me self,,,

Im sure id have noticed if they supposedly have outnumber the Soulies ,,,, unless in this persons eyes most of us there are the handbaggers!!

If so IVE COME OUT!! after 40 Years on the Rare Soul Scene Im a Handbagger and " Itl Never Be Over For Me

Now wheres me Lambrini!!

Come to think of it now ive "come out " Whitby was SHITE---- i was there ALL WEEKEND and i NEVER heard

THE SNAKE once!!:thumbup:

I too HATE this STUPID comparison stuff

Come on people theres a few people passed away off the scene in the last few years ,,, seems to be more and more as we get older

Think of poor SANDRA SHAW an OUT and OUT SOULIE and Scene regula whos has been horificaly injured recently and cant do the thing we take for granted each week!!

Sorta brings it into propective a bit dont it!!

Booked for next year and even got £30 off the hotel compared to this year result or what!

Nige B

Nige. You are too nice. Hurry up Margaret was always going to ambush this thread. And guess what....she will do it again once Blackpool Tower is over. In fact I expect abuse against the Stoke All nighter in 2 weeks.

Don't worry mate, there's no one buying her act.

As for Sandy, say hello to your Northern room at the Westgate, Long Eaton from July 30. Now known as the Sandra Shaw Suite.

Fantastic soulie. Love her.

Edited by The Golden 101

I am glad you had a great time in the local pubs at least your journey wasn't wasted. I just wish people would stop comparing Whitby with Bridlington , it always seems to happen when a thread is about WHITBY , yet I never see anyone try and say anything bad against Bridlington in the Bridlington thread, why would anyone want to I ask myself ? is it a sign of insecurity that people make these remarks or just plain nastyness.

I really just don't get it ? It seems to me Bridlington has its own healthy following so why is it such a great concern to try and convert others to join its yearly gathering ? Sounds a little bit fishy if you don't mind my saying . Are you not content with 3000 people filling the floor the week before ?

There is no getting away form the fact the the venue at Brid is much better than Whitby , its brand new for goodness sake no contest but then Whitby can offer charm in its locality which I regret to say Brid lacks.....its horses for courses and each person will have their own priorities and preferences.

I never saw any hand bagger types ? Where did that come from ? And if there were what you call these types and each to his her own I say , what does it matter as long as everyone has PEACE and harmony it didn't detract from the variety of sounds that were available to everyone this weekend thats for sure.

I know everyone is entitled to their opion , but to be frank i find yours a bit biased to say the least.

Why did you even bother going?

I really do hate this bickering it tarnishes the scene in my view and needs stamping out .

Well put girl. Two different events playing to different crowds but both doing business muscally. The thing is, personally I'd prefer to go to Brid as it's music policy is more up my street but if I had to choose between the two I'd do Whitby because it ticked every box for a perfect weekend away.

As for the crowd, they're different to the, more usually skeptical soulies i'm used to down south. They were dancing and singing to every tune played as if they were fresh out of box. They would be a delight to dj to, as they love everything. A bit like Spanish or Italian crowds who just go out to enjoy themselves.

Believe me, I can be just as cynical as the next soulie and if it had been rubbish I'd have said so.

Whitby was a breath of fresh air.

Well put girl. Two different events playing to different crowds but both doing business muscally. The thing is, personally I'd prefer to go to Brid as it's music policy is more up my street but if I had to choose between the two I'd do Whitby because it ticked every box for a perfect weekend away.

As for the crowd, they're different to the, more usually skeptical soulies i'm used to down south. They were dancing and singing to every tune played as if they were fresh out of box. They would be a delight to dj to, as they love everything. A bit like Spanish or Italian crowds who just go out to enjoy themselves.

Believe me, I can be just as cynical as the next soulie and if it had been rubbish I'd have said so.

Whitby was a breath of fresh air.

You cynical never ! It's incredible how many people fall for Whitbys charm I would hazard a guess that the property agents get many enquiries, the place is just adorable.

I love the FUN that everyone has at this event . I see people at this event that I never see anywhere else which is refreshing , and I get a buzz out of their passion , no hidden agenda or crusades banging of other drums or hang ups of what has been and gone and all that history bollocks. Who needs it life is too short !

I try and support as many of my local do's as possible I never say one is better than the other because I have respect for all of them,trying to entertain the people in their own unique way, and we all know you can't please all of the people all of the time.

But we are grown ups and if we don't like a person or a venue wouldn't it better to just not attend > or is that too grown up ?

Actually I am thinking of trying the Goth weekend out lol its in October

Guest hurryup

Nige. You are too nice. Hurry up Margaret was always going to ambush this thread. And guess what....she will do it again once Blackpool Tower is over. In fact I expect abuse against the Stoke All nighter in 2 weeks.

Don't worry mate, there's no one buying her act.

As for Sandy, say hello to your Northern room at the Westgate, Long Eaton from July 30. Now known as the Sandra Shaw Suite.

Fantastic soulie. Love her.

What a load of rubbish. You seem to assume that I've got the same mentality as yourself :thumbsup:, for your information, I've no intentions of going to Blackpool - have done in the past and quite enjoyed it :thumbsup: or Stoke and I don't comment on venues that I haven't attended :thumbsup:

I really enjoyed Long Eaton on the one and only time I went, so don't accuse me of trying to "ambush" all your threads.

You use words like "ambush" and "abuse" - what planet are you on, IMO you need to get a life, this is one of the reasons that so many people have no respect for you. Any other promotor would have said to me - "Well thanks for coming along and supporting Whitby, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it .............. ." but no, you have to take the moral high ground by insulting people :thumbsup:

What a load of rubbish. You seem to assume that I've got the same mentality as yourself :thumbsup:, for your information, I've no intentions of going to Blackpool - have done in the past and quite enjoyed it :thumbsup: or Stoke and I don't comment on venues that I haven't attended :thumbsup:

I really enjoyed Long Eaton on the one and only time I went, so don't accuse me of trying to "ambush" all your threads.

You use words like "ambush" and "abuse" - what planet are you on, IMO you need to get a life, this is one of the reasons that so many people have no respect for you. Any other promotor would have said to me - "Well thanks for coming along and supporting Whitby, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it .............. ." but no, you have to take the moral high ground by insulting people :thumbsup:

Like a brawling drunk going through the same revolving door....

Leave our topic alone. Did you see any of the great people who went to Whitby hijacking the Brid thread?

It's clearly obvious of your intentions as you slag us off everytime The Pavilion becomes a topic.

Clear off!

Edited by The Golden 101
Guest yorks old boys

a big well done sorry i missed it, sounds like most had a good time the people that did both, hats off to you takes a lot of money, but money well spent roll on blackpool and scarbrough and skeggy yes i usualy do them all so stop moaning and start souling without promoters you all would be lost, so come on bring them on dont forget your spencers and addidas bags only bags i use now is the ones under my eyes lol keep on souling and thanks for reading.

I totally agree with that statement.

I'm afraid this venue just doesn't "do it" for me - hand-baggers out-number the soulies and especially now that there's a much better venue just down the coast the week before :thumbsup:

Had a brill time in the local pubs, next time I'l stay there and save myself £30 :thumbsup:

fookin knob

:thumbsup:Meanwhile back on topic! :thumbsup:

Theres some Playlists From the Whitby Marketplace Freestyle Room now listed in EVENTT PLAYLIST SECTION

So glad too,,,,,,, lost most of me scraps of paper to add to me wants list,,,:thumbsup:

Hey up Nige, sorry we missed each others spot, l was freestyling same time you were "big rooming" Put playlist up anyway mate......

Dave West

Order,order,order in the house. It's like being in the House's of Parliament & listening to their childish bickering & muck slinging, if you've nowt good to say then say nowt, that's my motto. So lets put away the dueling pistols & go where we want when we want & enjoy instead of being saggy old, baggy old, bagpusses or the Meldrews of Soul, "I don't beleive it". I enjoy everywhere I go for different reasons & if I don't then I don't go again,simple as that. I agree with Carms that there didn't seem to be many (If any) handbaggers there & that statement from someone who's fav venue is Ritz Brighouse is surely a total contadiction, as there's more there than in the local Wetherspoons. Whitby's been running 10 years so by now surely you know what to expect? So save your money & keep the old blood pressure down by staying at home or go another time & just enjoy the beauty of the place:hatsoff2: , nuff said!!

Right this is how it was for me & mine; Friday morn Gary & Clare hit the road to open up our rose covered cottage for the weekend, within easy reach of local amenities or in other words across the road from the Granby pub, ideal. Now some fancy foot work from me as I work afternoons, so instead of working 1-5pm I go in an hour early & hey presto I'm finished by 2pm, works for me & were off but its the scenic route as the 64 at York is a nightmare, so at 4:40 we unload & out for the regulation Fish & chips (Bit worried as my Haddock is pink,don't think it should be really, I've been had me thinks),kip,beer,S,S & Shower then off we go. It's busy,busy,busy already but theres plenty of friendly faces & the Freestyle's in full flow (Brilliant idea to extend it over the entire weekend) a guy called Mick was playing some fine tunes & sat close by the Egon Ronay's of Soul, Carms & Nige, with Carms correctly & appropriately fanning herself with a table menu,that's my girl!!! Cheeky Chappers & the "Lush" Michelle are also in attendance,Soul Sam's there busting to hit the decks,Westy & Pat are there, he in his Sunday finery, there's also early bird Bellwood & the always smiling & totally lovely Denise,Dale & Andy Hudson (In a manly way,of course),Simon & Wendy, Loubby & Steve who flashed me from his room window earlier, Mr & Mrs Jock plus various other near do well's & vagabonds.

The queue's for the bars were a good length all night & it was heaving in the main room, so much so that I only managed a few minutes listening to the golden Oldies before it was downstairs with Sam, Mick H (Who had joined our small crew for the night) & Mr Woomble etc, so my time was spent between there & the freestyle area & what a joy it was, Carms,Nige, Andy B etc you were all great. 3 am is home time & special drinking, reminiscing & talking twaddle with Jon & Mick H till 5 when I desert & hit the sack only to resurface at 6 & spend 30 min's sat on someones doorstep talking the lugs off a local pensioner whilst waiting for the papershop to open, I did however learn the entire Local Bus timetable between Whitby-Redcar & Scarborough, he learnt the difference's between C&W and Northern Soul, wether he wanted to or not!!!!!:thumbsup:

Next thing I know it's lunch & Steve LeAir's here, so off we trot back to the Freestyle room & more beer, I remember it being very, very hot in there, anyway when main room opened at 2 I was in to say hello to the Tizzy's,Soul on a stick with Steve, Kev Joss & Lesley, Bev & Buddy,Richard & Julie but I was failing fast, so after a few moments with the future Mr & Mrs Snowy I was back to my pit, not however before the arrival of Yocky & Doug the diver (Nell) with tales of sharing a bed,large members & Traffic cone killings, never a dull moment with those two, I hear they had a lovely game of knob conkers later that night before being asked never to darken the door of a certain Whitby B&B ever again,ouch!!!:thumbsup: !!

Soon I'm doing the three S's again & hitting the steps to Saturday Night Fever Venue, it's just as busy at all the bars and in the mainroom as friday & it seems all are having a ball,late entrant include; Cairnsie,J.J.,Eddie,Kenny,Stan,Dick & Mary,Di & Andy plus our mates Dave & Donna,also nice to have a long chat with John Poole, once more it's mainly downstairs & the Freestyle but a last couple of dances upstairs at nights end, then home again for more of the same from last night but our special guests this time are Steve L,Andy Hudson & Dale.

Soz time for bed,be back tomorrow to complete,ok:sleep3: .

Right I'm back after half a days work,rested & refreshed, btw Dazzler my reviews are always epic's ask anyone:whistling: .

Sundays always a shall we shan't we day for me, I wanna spend it at the Pavillion but usually the minds willing but the bodies weak & sure enough I've got to force myself there to join Mr & Mrs Snowy,Nell & Yocky plus all the die hards that are left & a last few hours in the freestyle went down a treat but I'm afraid come 5pm I was full t lip with ale & headed home with every intention of return the see out the night but after a 2 hour kip followed by an extensive meal at the new Italian in skinner street I returned to the cottage for Tums, an hour later I had to ring Gail & Gary to say I couldn't summon up the will power to come down & by all accounts I wasn't missing much as it appears that Bram Stokers & Frankenstein decendants had been allowed out early & decended on Whitby or as Gail so politely put it,"There was some right weirdo's & pissheads there tonight". 12 hours later it's all over for another year & we're doing the annual stop at Sleights Butchers & Deli, so till next year be good & don't wear your shorts in public & once again we'll meet at the Whale bone:thumbsup: .

Take care,be safe & remember,"A little loving,a little loving,goes a long,a long,a long way. A little loving,a little loving,goes a long,a long,a long way. I catch a train tonight about 8 & I'll be gone for many a day,so give me something to remember",

Spot. :thumbsup:

p.s. What the bloody hells wrong with the emoticons again???? Only half working.

Edited by spot

Well another great weekend at Whitby. We missed the very first one as we were away and we missed 2 years ago as my daughter decided to organise her wedding for the Whitby Friday. It was a hard decision but in the end we opted for the wedding!!

I can't comment on the Brid weekender as we have never been but we have a few friends who have been for the last couple of years and they really enjoy it. Unfortunately we are never going to find out. The reason being as follows - while at Whitby I would estimate I spend 90 - 95% of the time on the dance floor. As we attend the afternoon and evening sessions, by the end of Sunday this is quite a few hours of dancing. Now at my age (55 in August) it takes me awhile to recover. The soles of my feet are still raw and I haven't got my ankles working yet. Another 3 or 4 days of rest should do it!! For this reason I am unable to do 2 weekends together. Maybe if I sat down a lot more I could manage it but you know how it is, you hear the first few seconds of a great tune and before you know it you're there on the dance floor.

When Bridlington was first organised I know it was arranged as close as possible to "get" at Whitby. I know this for a fact because I was at the Festival Hall in Kirkby when it was announced that the first Bridlington was being organised to "show Whitby" Now I think they were expecting a major defection from Whitby and everyone would do Bridlington instead. This may be the case for a few but there are those that manage to do both and Whitby is still as busy as ever so I don't think it went as expected. I wouldn't not go to Whitby so that I could try Bridlington but I would have liked to have done both. If Brid had been arranged a month or so apart from Whitby then I would have been able to do this.

So who loses out here - Not the promoters of Bridlington as they are doing very well. Not Whitby as this is still as well attended and brilliant as ever. No the people who lose out are people like me who would do both but can't due to the pettiness of the orgainisers to get one over on Whitby. I know there are plenty of moans from people about soul nights being organised that clash with an existing night that has been going for awhile. Well this was just the same and the only losers are the paying clientele as usual.

And as far as the venue goes you can't beat Whitby Pavilion. It may not be brand spanking new but how many places can you be dancing to great music while watching the sun set over the sea................PERFECT

Great to see many LP only tracks hit the decks of whichI loved the Tamiko Jones version of "123 ", also Sams play "Somethings on my mind "? I think it was TSD ? now that was superb for me, top tune of the weekend.

Carms, it's by T & T. I agree it's an excellent version.

Order,order,order in the house. It's like being in the House's of Parliament & listening to their childish bickering & muck slinging, if you've nowt good to say then say nowt, that's my motto.

So lets put away the dueling pistols & go where we want when we want & enjoy instead of being saggy old, baggy old, bagpusses or the Meldrews of Soul, "I don't beleive it".

I enjoy everywhere I go for different reasons & if I don't then I don't go again,simple as that. I agree with Carms that there didn't seem to be many (If any) handbaggers there & that statement from someone who's fav venue is Ritz Brighouse is surely a total contadiction, as there's more there than in the local Wetherspoons.

Whitby's been running 10 years so by now surely you know what to expect? So save your money & keep the old blood pressure down by staying at home or go another time & just enjoy the beauty of the place:hatsoff2: , nuff said!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great read

LOL ...it is like the House of hand bags in here sometimes , I know how Betty Boothroyde felt PML.

Lovely to see you and Gail as usual , has Gary put his play list up yet ?... Give him a shove . I did try to tempt him with some sweets at the decks but he was having none of it .

Where did yocky get that divers head gear ? He looked like he was having a lot of fun with it.

Well, thought l'd put a comment or two on about the weekend..........

I spend a lot of time on S.S. having a computer at work certainly helps.

In my opinion this was the best Whitby ever. Usually my much better half Pat and myself tend to take it easy in the afternoons but running into a couple of ex Goolies now living in Aus meant we were there till closing on both afternoons. Thought the afternoon sessions were busier than ever and musically better than ever.

Being given the chance to Freestyle at what l considered a "peak time" was great but slightly daunting until about two records in. Spinning discs whilst to my left was Sean Chapman,John Manship,in front of me was Andy Bellwood,Soul Sam,Kev Roberts and Dave Raistrick, to the right of me was Eddy Edmundson and Dave Evison.

As l said got into the swing of it about two records in then really enjoyed the experience. Many thanks to Eddy and Dave Ed who both thanked me for my spot and selection. Following me behind the decks was my new friends John and Julie Heaney and they played a truly great selection of quality music. Then Soul Sam took a turn and played some of the best stuff lve ever heard him play. Spent a lot of time in the main room and never heard a record repeated. Repeats are inevitable but l can honestly say l didnt hear any.

Cannot understand some of the negative comments aimed at Whitby weekender, but as l havent been to Bridlington weekender cannot say which is the better and cannot understand why a comparison is always brought up. Many of my friends do Brid and enjoy it. We do the Skeggy,Whitby and Blackpool weekenders every year and cannot fault any of them,each has its own unique identity. I cannot understand the comments about Whitby Pavillion not beeing as good / new building as lve been to some mega run down venues in my time, places where when you ask at the bar for a "shot" its either Vodka or Tetanus......

On the bridlington thread its mentioned records played were The Zoo, I Love Music and Youve Been Cheating. No negative comments were forthcoming and all are good records in there own right, but if these records had been played at Whitby..........??????.

Didn't see any "handbaggers" at Whitby but l did have my camcorder leather case on my shoulder which could be mistaken for a handbag. Although l didn't dance around it.

Good to see both events did some charity fund raising and l'm sure raised loads for the worthy charities.

Now lve fallen into the trap of comparing, so l'll sign off for now.......

Lifes too short to quibble so why bother....

Dave

The wife and I turned up about 2:00 to be greeted by Kev, Sue & Al. What a welcome, shall we go for a pint Al said so Sue"n"Al + the wife and me was just about to leave when Kev asked if I would play some tunes at 5:00 great I said, so off to the Met cos the bar was closed at the Pavilion.

On returning to the pavilion Kev asked could I do him a favour and play some tunes in the main room about 3oclock as some are asking for it to be open, off I went and dumped all the wife's clothes on the bed, cos wanted the case for mi records and off I pulled the case. "Go strait in Dennis the decks are awaiting" People started to spill in-to the main room and strait on the floor, well pleased was I, on the decks for two solid hours dancers on the dance floor from start to finish I was well chuffed. Taken of at 5:00 by Finny

Then Kev thank me for helping out and said I owe you one, my answer was you owe me nothing I got paid in that main room by the dancers thank you very much and if I can help in any way please ask.

Whitby is:

A Top Venue, Top organizers, with top Dj's that play the best Northern soul & coming up to its 10th anniversary cant be bad and still getting full

Thanks to Kev, Snowy and the Dj's always giving 100%

See you all next year

Dennis"n"Ann

Edited by Dendog
Guest dazzzzler

Order,order,order in the house. It's like being in the House's of Parliament & listening to their childish bickering & muck slinging, if you've nowt good to say then say nowt, that's my motto. So lets put away the dueling pistols & go where we want when we want & enjoy instead of being saggy old, baggy old, bagpusses or the Meldrews of Soul, "I don't beleive it". I enjoy everywhere I go for different reasons & if I don't then I don't go again,simple as that. I agree with Carms that there didn't seem to be many (If any) handbaggers there & that statement from someone who's fav venue is Ritz Brighouse is surely a total contadiction, as there's more there than in the local Wetherspoons. Whitby's been running 10 years so by now surely you know what to expect? So save your money & keep the old blood pressure down by staying at home or go another time & just enjoy the beauty of the place:hatsoff2: , nuff said!!

Right this is how it was for me & mine; Friday morn Gary & Clare hit the road to open up our rose covered cottage for the weekend, within easy reach of local amenities or in other words across the road from the Granby pub, ideal. Now some fancy foot work from me as I work afternoons, so instead of working 1-5pm I go in an hour early & hey presto I'm finished by 2pm, works for me & were off but its the scenic route as the 64 at York is a nightmare, so at 4:40 we unload & out for the regulation Fish & chips (Bit worried as my Haddock is pink,don't think it should be really, I've been had me thinks),kip,beer,S,S & Shower then off we go. It's busy,busy,busy already but theres plenty of friendly faces & the Freestyle's in full flow (Brilliant idea to extend it over the entire weekend) a guy called Mick was playing some fine tunes & sat close by the Egon Ronay's of Soul, Carms & Nige, with Carms correctly & appropriately fanning herself with a table menu,that's my girl!!! Cheeky Chappers & the "Lush" Michelle are also in attendance,Soul Sam's there busting to hit the decks,Westy & Pat are there, he in his Sunday finery, there's also early bird Bellwood & the always smiling & totally lovely Denise,Dale & Andy Hudson (In a manly way,of course),Simon & Wendy, Loubby & Steve who flashed me from his room window earlier, Mr & Mrs Jock plus various other near do well's & vagabonds.

The queue's for the bars were a good length all night & it was heaving in the main room, so much so that I only managed a few minutes listening to the golden Oldies before it was downstairs with Sam, Mick H (Who had joined our small crew for the night) & Mr Woomble etc, so my time was spent between there & the freestyle area & what a joy it was, Carms,Nige, Andy B etc you were all great. 3 am is home time & special drinking, reminiscing & talking twaddle with Jon & Mick H till 5 when I desert & hit the sack only to resurface at 6 & spend 30 min's sat on someones doorstep talking the lugs off a local pensioner whilst waiting for the papershop to open, I did however learn the entire Local Bus timetable between Whitby-Redcar & Scarborough, he learnt the difference's between C&W and Northern Soul, wether he wanted to or not!!!!!

Next thing I know it's lunch & Steve LeAir's here, so off we trot back to the Freestyle room & more beer, I remember it being very, very hot in there, anyway when main room opened at 2 I was in to say hello to the Tizzy's,Soul on a stick with Steve, Kev Joss & Lesley, Bev & Buddy,Richard & Julie but I was failing fast, so after a few moments with the future Mr & Mrs Snowy I was back to my pit, not however before the arrival of Yocky & Doug the diver (Nell) with tales of sharing a bed,large members & Traffic cone killings, never a dull moment with those two, I hear they had a lovely game of knob conkers later that night before being asked never to darken the door of a certain Whitby B&B ever again,ouch!!!!!

Soon I'm doing the three S's again & hitting the steps to Saturday Night Fever Venue, it's just as busy at all the bars and in the mainroom as friday & it seems all are having a ball,late entrant include; Cairnsie,J.J.,Eddie,Kenny,Stan,Dick & Mary,Di & Andy plus our mates Dave & Donna, once more it's mainly downstairs & the Freestyle but a last couple of dances upstairs at nights end, then home again for more of the same from last night but our special guests this time are Steve L,Andy Hudson & Dale.

Soz time for bed,be back tomorrow to complete,ok.

:lol:fckin ope not you wor mi out reading that lot laugh.gif

Hey up Nige, sorry we missed each others spot, l was freestyling same time you were "big rooming" Put playlist up anyway mate......

Dave West

Hi Dave

It was lovely meeting you and thanks bro for a MOST interesting chat,, i love learning things about the music i aint heard before

Im sure our paths will cross again fella

seeyas soon

Nige

Lovely to see you and Gail as usual , has Gary put his play list up yet ?... Give him a shove . I did try to tempt him with some sweets at the decks but he was having none of it .

Where did yocky get that divers head gear ? He looked like he was having a lot of fun with it.

post-1851-067339400 1278512928_thumb.jpg

Order,order,order in the house. It's like being in the House's of Parliament & listening to their childish bickering & muck slinging, if you've nowt good to say then say nowt, that's my motto.

So lets put away the dueling pistols & go where we want when we want & enjoy instead of being saggy old, baggy old, bagpusses or the Meldrews of Soul, "I don't beleive it".

I enjoy everywhere I go for different reasons & if I don't then I don't go again,simple as that. I agree with Carms that there didn't seem to be many (If any) handbaggers there & that statement from someone who's fav venue is Ritz Brighouse is surely a total contadiction, as there's more there than in the local Wetherspoons.

Whitby's been running 10 years so by now surely you know what to expect? So save your money & keep the old blood pressure down by staying at home or go another time & just enjoy the beauty of the place:hatsoff2: , nuff said!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great read

LOL ...it is like the House of hand bags in here sometimes , I know how Betty Boothroyde felt PML.

Guest dazzzzler

got to say that guy lookin on in ur picture was bit boring never got a murmer outa him all weekend.did anyone els get any joy.:(

Well another great weekend at Whitby. We missed the very first one as we were away and we missed 2 years ago as my daughter decided to organise her wedding for the Whitby Friday. It was a hard decision but in the end we opted for the wedding!!

I can't comment on the Brid weekender as we have never been but we have a few friends who have been for the last couple of years and they really enjoy it. Unfortunately we are never going to find out. The reason being as follows - while at Whitby I would estimate I spend 90 - 95% of the time on the dance floor. As we attend the afternoon and evening sessions, by the end of Sunday this is quite a few hours of dancing. Now at my age (55 in August) it takes me awhile to recover. The soles of my feet are still raw and I haven't got my ankles working yet. Another 3 or 4 days of rest should do it!! For this reason I am unable to do 2 weekends together. Maybe if I sat down a lot more I could manage it but you know how it is, you hear the first few seconds of a great tune and before you know it you're there on the dance floor.

When Bridlington was first organised I know it was arranged as close as possible to "get" at Whitby. I know this for a fact because I was at the Festival Hall in Kirkby when it was announced that the first Bridlington was being organised to "show Whitby" Now I think they were expecting a major defection from Whitby and everyone would do Bridlington instead. This may be the case for a few but there are those that manage to do both and Whitby is still as busy as ever so I don't think it went as expected. I wouldn't not go to Whitby so that I could try Bridlington but I would have liked to have done both. If Brid had been arranged a month or so apart from Whitby then I would have been able to do this.

So who loses out here - Not the promoters of Bridlington as they are doing very well. Not Whitby as this is still as well attended and brilliant as ever. No the people who lose out are people like me who would do both but can't due to the pettiness of the orgainisers to get one over on Whitby. I know there are plenty of moans from people about soul nights being organised that clash with an existing night that has been going for awhile. Well this was just the same and the only losers are the paying clientele as usual.

And as far as the venue goes you can't beat Whitby Pavilion. It may not be brand spanking new but how many places can you be dancing to great music while watching the sun set over the sea................PERFECT

nice one - the facts laid bare for all to read :( I 've done both by the way .

nice one - the facts laid bare for all to read :( I 've done both by the way .

Think you'll find they are not the facts Andy as the Bridlington promoters were offered three dates.

The first date was the 2nd weekend in June. This was refused as it clashes with Cleethorpes.

The second date offered was the first weekend in July. This was refused as it clashes with Whitby.

The third & final date offered was the last weekend in June.

These FACTS came directly from one of the Bridlington promoters not half an hour ago directly to me.

Now can I ask that everyone stick to the topic of feedback to the Whitby weekender & if you have any other comments regarding any other event to use the thread provided for it.

Also that if you have any other so called facts that you make sure they're 100% true first.

Both of the weekenders mentioned sold out so hats off to both sets of promoters. I'm sure neither side want any more silly untrue rumors flying around any more.

Now can I ask that everyone stick to the topic of feedback to the Whitby weekender & if you have any other comments regarding any other event to use the thread provided for it.

Yeah ! How DARE anyone knock any other Weekenders when ya can have a pop at Whitby on there own thread any time ya like!! Pathetic! :(

Think you'll find they are not the facts Andy as the Bridlington promoters were offered three dates.

The first date was the 2nd weekend in June. This was refused as it clashes with Cleethorpes.

The second date offered was the first weekend in July. This was refused as it clashes with Whitby.

The third & final date offered was the last weekend in June.

These FACTS came directly from one of the Bridlington promoters not half an hour ago directly to me.

Also that if you have any other so called facts that you make sure they're 100% true first.

Both of the weekenders mentioned sold out so hats off to both sets of promoters. I'm sure neither side want any more silly untrue rumors flying around any more.

not gonna reply or fall out with anyone on this - life's too short .

best wishes :ohmy:

Cunnie- Get out of Dodge kid. There's no one who goes to Whitby buying your act.

Eveyone knows the truth, stop trying to whitewash over the

reason Brid set up

one week before our event.

In fact they have done exactly the same against Prestatyn in October!

Cunnie- Get out of Dodge kid. There's no one who goes to Whitby buying your act.

reason Brid set up

Kev, when I made the quote about 'untrue rumors' in my previous post it was aimed at you & the Brid promoters to try to stop the stupid comments for BOTH of you & lo & behold you come back at them with that.

You seem to forget that I also attend quite a few of your events.

Just don't get it do you.

Yeah ! How DARE anyone knock any other Weekenders when ya can have a pop at Whitby on there own thread any time ya like!! Pathetic! :ohmy:

why is it pathetic

above someone has stated what they believe are other promoters reasons

a mod has passed on the other members/promoters viewpoint/response and asked that people carry on talking about the event not other promotions

whats so pathetic about that ?

if you wanna discuss wider issues, eg various weekenders/promoters/polices etc then put up a thread about it

reason Brid set up

same as above

if you want to discuss other promoters, weekenders,etc then start up a new thread

Richard Searling joining our team for 2011.

East Midlands favourite Nev Shooter added to our line up

for July 1-3.

Many thanks to the additional help given to the promotion.

Honorary mentions to Sam Evans, Richard Cryer, Andy Bellwood.

And most of all to everyone who attended. One of the best crowd's in a long, long time.

Kev, when I made the quote about 'untrue rumors' in my previous post it was aimed at you & the Brid promoters to try to stop the stupid comments for BOTH of you & lo & behold you come back at them with that.

You seem to forget that I also attend quite a few of your events.

Just don't get it do you.

Morning Ian

I am please you came in and did the ref bit , but in the words in the words of Danny Owen ... you were a little too late :ohmy: :ph34r:still we can't be everywhere at once I appreciate having worn the hat I know its not an easy job.

I am wondering now that Brid management has shown its masters the (people who hire the venue to them ) that they can pull in a rather large crowd and make them a great deal of money, that perhaps new dates can be negotiated so that everyone gets a bite of the cherry ? and people (customers) can spread the cost of attending both fantasticly good events more evenly ?

I have looked at the Spa diary and there is a big gap in Novemeber ? The events brochure ends Sept and the Panto starts December so what happens inbetween ?

Plus I don't beleive there are any weekenders in Novemebr ? correct me if I am wrong .

This is my last comment on this subject ... I will look forward to perhaps seeing some constructive debate on another thread. and the reason why we are talking about it is that hurry up bought the subject up by suggesting that people attend another venue the week earlier next year.... this was a bit naughty and thats when you should have come in IMHO.

As we used to say I'll get my coat

Carmen. Blackpool is on in November.

As usual, you are too nice and diplomatic. Trust me, they are not going to move any dates.

Surprisingly for them, they have not affected Whitby. Personally speaking, if anything they have hit Cleethorpes and Skegness.

We are a happy bunch at Whitby and let's skip anymore wasted energy on the debate. Like you, we can read this one with our eyes closed.

Richard Searling joining our team for 2011.

East Midlands favourite Nev Shooter added to our line up

for July 1-3.

Many thanks to the additional help given to the promotion.

Honorary mentions to Sam Evans, Richard Cryer, Andy Bellwood.

And most of all to everyone who attended. One of the best crowd's in a long, long time.

Brilliant news!

why is it pathetic

a mod has passed on the other members/promoters viewpoint/response and asked that people carry on talking about the event not other promotions

I said PATHETIC Mike as a general comment about this WHOLE DEBARCLE!!

When this person HURRY UP was having a rant about Whitby quoteding abosolute rubbish about the weekend,,, NO moderator step in then did they?? and advised,,,, when this person has some sort of grudge against the promotion in their past posts!!

But as soon as someone quotes something not quite right in there post about the other venue ,,, BANG in comes a moderator!!

I can only think that EVEN NOW when the other place has a HUGE VENUE,, LOADS of DJ s , THOUSAND of PUNTERS , SS Threads 365 Days a year,,,, theres some sort of insecurty thing going on about lil old Whitby!! WHY!! Total madness when both venues do OK!!

I know loads of peeps who go Brid ( ive Been Meself and had a great weekend a few years ago) and some do both and in general most people hate all the shite that goes on on here and a lot of Soulies wont even come on the Forum because of all the snide remarks and agression

And will would never start yet ANOTHER thread on here about weekenders.. how many more do we need!! It only caused agression with all the Trouble Junkies on here!

As i said in an earlier post life to short

If you really analyse the whole thing really is PATHETIC for people of our AGE and Intelligence

I apologise if i broke any SS rules,,

Nige B

went to whitby with one thing in mind. drink n dance,,,, what a wonderful weekend, music / venue / weather al good, just a mention to the djs on the afternoon sets were very good,, but 22:30 sat to 02:00 sun were very good,,,,, hardly left the floor,,, just a note for next year, hire some big fans and more bar staff, apart from that will be back next year. thanks to all concerned.

reason Brid set up

Kev - Firstly I'm not a kid & would prefer not to be called one (bet that opens up the floodgates :thumbsup: ). My name is Martin Dixon but you already knew that didn't you. Cunnie will do if that's too much to ask. I'm sure you noticed I called you Kev.

Also I'd prefer to not be implied as a liar. If you don't believe me just simply pick up the phone & ring Rob Wigley or even better still go round the corner & have a beer with him & sort this out properly together for once & for all. I'm sure Rob would be more than welcoming as this bickering is doing neither side any good. If you ain't got his number I will gladly pass it on to you.

When you say 'they' who exactly do you mean?

As I told Hurry up- clear off and leave the Whitby thread alone.

I can read you and the Brid soap opera with my eyes closed.

Get back to moderating....other threads!

Kev I can assure you all the moderators on this site try to be as fair as possible to every site member but if you have reason to complain it will be dealt with fairly.

Morning Ian

I am please you came in and did the ref bit , but in the words in the words of Danny Owen ... you were a little too late :lol: :ph34r:still we can't be everywhere at once I appreciate having worn the hat I know its not an easy job.

I am wondering now that Brid management has shown its masters the (people who hire the venue to them ) that they can pull in a rather large crowd and make them a great deal of money, that perhaps new dates can be negotiated so that everyone gets a bite of the cherry ? and people (customers) can spread the cost of attending both fantasticly good events more evenly ?

I have looked at the Spa diary and there is a big gap in Novemeber ? The events brochure ends Sept and the Panto starts December so what happens inbetween ?

Plus I don't beleive there are any weekenders in Novemebr ? correct me if I am wrong .

This is my last comment on this subject ... I will look forward to perhaps seeing some constructive debate on another thread. and the reason why we are talking about it is that hurry up bought the subject up by suggesting that people attend another venue the week earlier next year.... this was a bit naughty and thats when you should have come in IMHO.

As we used to say I'll get my coat

Err I'm sure from my first reply you will have realised my name is not Ian but don't worry as you're not the first to mix me up with Ian Cunliffe (wonder if he has the same trouble LOL).

As for moving the Brid weekender to November firstly I think it's closed season in Brid & also Kev answered your question in his quote below as his Blackpool tower event takes place in November (hope I'm still welcome :thumbsup: ).

Carmen. Blackpool is on in November.

As usual, you are too nice and diplomatic. Trust me, they are not going to move any dates.

Surprisingly for them, they have not affected Whitby. Personally speaking, if anything they have hit Cleethorpes and Skegness.

We are a happy bunch at Whitby and let's skip anymore wasted energy on the debate. Like you, we can read this one with our eyes closed.

Think I mentioned earlier on another thread that Brid & Whitby bieng so close together both datewise & from a geographical point of view actually benifits both sets of promoters Kev as quite a lot of folks actually stop over on the East coast & do both events & who could blame them as it's one of the jewels in the country's crown but I would say that as I'm a Yorkie at heart. Guess the fact that both events sold out also goes a long way to proving this point.

Not sure if Brid or Whitby for that matter have affected Cleethorpes or Skegness. Think it's more a case of bigger events like this having a limited shelf life. Sure you're aware of this yourself Kev as one of the major players on the promoting front. My guess for events reaching the 'go stale' point is 10 years. Would be interested to hear your point of view Kev & I'm sure it would be an interesting topic of debate on this site (but in another thread PLEASE!!!)

why is it pathetic

I said PATHETIC Mike as a general comment about this WHOLE DEBARCLE!!

When this person HURRY UP was having a rant about Whitby quoteding abosolute rubbish about the weekend,,, NO moderator step in then did they?? and advised,,,, when this person has some sort of grudge against the promotion in their past posts!!

But as soon as someone quotes something not quite right in there post about the other venue ,,, BANG in comes a moderator!!

I can only think that EVEN NOW when the other place has a HUGE VENUE,, LOADS of DJ s , THOUSAND of PUNTERS , SS Threads 365 Days a year,,,, theres some sort of insecurty thing going on about lil old Whitby!! WHY!! Total madness when both venues do OK!!

I know loads of peeps who go Brid ( ive Been Meself and had a great weekend a few years ago) and some do both and in general most people hate all the shite that goes on on here and a lot of Soulies wont even come on the Forum because of all the snide remarks and agression

And will would never start yet ANOTHER thread on here about weekenders.. how many more do we need!! It only caused agression with all the Trouble Junkies on here!

As i said in an earlier post life to short

If you really analyse the whole thing really is PATHETIC for people of our AGE and Intelligence

I apologise if i broke any SS rules,,

Nige B

Nige - The main reason we acted on the post from Nottslynne & not on Hurry Up's post is quite simple really. Nottslynne's post was reported to us via the site's complaint procedure & Hurry Up's wasn't.

I'm sure you'll appreciate that us Mods can't watch every thread constantly as sometimes real life gets in the way & occasionally I have to go to work to pay for Sam Dees demo's :thumbsup:Thanks for it fella.

........................................................................................

Hope that clears all this up & can I ask again that everyone now sticks to this thread to leave feedback for Whitby & if you have any comments regarding Bridlington or any other event that you use the relevant forum.

Thanks....

Kev - Firstly I'm not a kid & would prefer not to be called one (bet that opens up the floodgates :thumbsup: ). My name is Martin Dixon but you already knew that didn't you. Cunnie will do if that's too much to ask. I'm sure you noticed I called you Kev.

Also I'd prefer to not be implied as a liar. If you don't believe me just simply pick up the phone & ring Rob Wigley or even better still go round the corner & have a beer with him & sort this out properly together for once & for all. I'm sure Rob would be more than welcoming as this bickering is doing neither side any good. If you ain't got his number I will gladly pass it on to you.

When you say 'they' who exactly do you mean?

Kev I can assure you all the moderators on this site try to be as fair as possible to every site member but if you have reason to complain it will be dealt with fairly.

Err I'm sure from my first reply you will have realised my name is not Ian but don't worry as you're not the first to mix me up with Ian Cunliffe (wonder if he has the same trouble LOL).

As for moving the Brid weekender to November firstly I think it's closed season in Brid & also Kev answered your question in his quote below as his Blackpool tower event takes place in November (hope I'm still welcome :thumbsup: ).

Think I mentioned earlier on another thread that Brid & Whitby bieng so close together both datewise & from a geographical point of view actually benifits both sets of promoters Kev as quite a lot of folks actually stop over on the East coast & do both events & who could blame them as it's one of the jewels in the country's crown but I would say that as I'm a Yorkie at heart. Guess the fact that both events sold out also goes a long way to proving this point.

Not sure if Brid or Whitby for that matter have affected Cleethorpes or Skegness. Think it's more a case of bigger events like this having a limited shelf life. Sure you're aware of this yourself Kev as one of the major players on the promoting front. My guess for events reaching the 'go stale' point is 10 years. Would be interested to hear your point of view Kev & I'm sure it would be an interesting topic of debate on this site (but in another thread PLEASE!!!)

Nige - The main reason we acted on the post from Nottslynne & not on Hurry Up's post is quite simple really. Nottslynne's post was reported to us via the site's complaint procedure & Hurry Up's wasn't.

I'm sure you'll appreciate that us Mods can't watch every thread constantly as sometimes real life gets in the way & occasionally I have to go to work to pay for Sam Dees demo's :lol:Thanks for it fella.

........................................................................................

Hope that clears all this up & can I ask again that everyone now sticks to this thread to leave feedback for Whitby & if you have any comments regarding Bridlington or any other event that you use the relevant forum.

Thanks....

Nige.......I think the 'moderator' has given you every answer you and I don't want to hear.

Talk about double standards. Cunnie....resign as Moderator before your integrity completely dissapears.

But check in with the Wigley's first for clearance.

Nige.......I think the 'moderator' has given you every answer you and I don't want to hear.

Talk about double standards. Cunnie....resign as Moderator before your integrity completely dissapears.

But check in with the Wigley's first for clearance.

uncalled for and unacceptable

you have been asked to drop this constant sniping towards other promoters a fair few times now

now it seems you feel fit to widen the arc and start slagging down moderators

if you did feel so strongly about one members post and wished site action, then you should have reported it

you didn't, you choose to reply to the person on thread and to all purposes deal with it yourself

we have had a number of reports about yours and others words regarding other promoters

as such both myself and cunnie have come on here asked that you drop this almost constant carping on

final time am asking

you want to talk about this just gone event then use this thread

you wish to discuss other promoters, events etc then start up a new thread

you wish to discuss site matters then use feedback

am closing this thread temp as things do seem to have got out of hand

reopened

did have a request to close this by the thread starter

if this is still valid then please post up

have left posts intact

however if go get any more accusations or such about other promoters all non-event specfic posts will be removed

regarding the over the top accusations about a moderator

a moderator asking people to stop members posting accusations about non-involved promoters in not "biased"

any event thread is about the event and the event only, have said many times that if do wish to discuss wider issues such as clashes, other events. other promoters then start a new thread

there are reasons for this, one of them is to avoid the sh*t we have just seen

there is a thread about this temp closure in feedback, wish to discuss this post or any aspect of the moderation then do it there

any non event posts posted on thread will be removed

reopened

did have a request to close this by the thread starter

if this is still valid then please post up

have left posts intact

however if go get any more accusations or such about other promoters all non-event specfic posts will be removed

regarding the over the top accusations about a moderator

a moderator asking people to stop members posting accusations about non-involved promoters in not "biased"

any event thread is about the event and the event only, have said many times that if do wish to discuss wider issues such as clashes, other events. other promoters then start a new thread

there are reasons for this, one of them is to avoid the sh*t we have just seen

there is a thread about this temp closure in feedback, wish to discuss this post or any aspect of the moderation then do it there

any non event posts posted on thread will be removed

Mike....As TOPIC STARTER....Please close this thread. Both the Whitby attendees and myself have had enough of this one.