Finishing Prices On Ugly Records

Glynthornhill

Thanks to Pete S for starting this thread initially - I'm now very intrigued by the finishing prices on some ugly label conditions.

I' ll start the ball rolling with this one found yesterday ... what goes through the mind of some this is beyond repair !!

I know Butch and The Newports is scarce but ..

bad label wear on both sides ... something of an understatement.

https://cgi.ebay.co.u...IT#ht_500wt_975

Edited by glynthornhill
Social source share

• Replies 6
  • Views 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Well I guess sometimes people just want a (playable) copy of a record and see these bad label copies as a chance to acquire these records cheap. For example the Frankie Beverly and The Butlers 45 that was mentioned in the original thread was won by me.

The label looks ugly (you should see the flipside label, that's even worse), but the record plays well and I was happy to get the record for a lot less than what I would've paid for if the label would've looked excellent. As a collector I also prefer the copies with mint labels, but as a DJ for me it's what's in the grooves that counts.

Social source share

I know it a hard one, but at the end of the day, it's just an earlier release of Gaslite on Grand Junction, otherwise it's the same record

no it has a different a-side, "it's out of my hands". the northern side sucks anyways, the sweet side is the side someone would buy it for.

Social source share

Thanks to Pete S for starting this thread initially - I'm now very intrigued by the finishing prices on some ugly label conditions.

I' ll start the ball rolling with this one found yesterday ... what goes through the mind of some this is beyond repair !!

I know Butch and The Newports is scarce but ..

bad label wear on both sides ... something of an understatement.

https://cgi.ebay.co.u...IT#ht_500wt_975

Not really sure what this thread is aimed at....

I could understand it if it was a record in that condition going for a high amount compared to value.... but this is probably worth what.... about a ton.... and it's gone for just £14 and is, probably, just bought to hear at home.... plus, maybe, add to a personal collection until a better one turns up....

Seen records guide priced at four figures with cracks, excessive noise, jumps, pops etc., etc., go for similar, and more, in cost/value ratios.... not really seen nowt said there when it happened.... a Margaret Little and a Two Plus Two spring to mind.... more, I'm sure....

Summat with label damage or summat with vinyl damage going cheap.... play properly or look at properly.... decisions, decisions.... I know what I'd opt for if I wanted to be able to play it....

So as for the "what goes through the mind of some is beyond repair" suggestion.... perhaps slightly OTT based on some things that have gone through ebay, and other sales, over the last decade or so....

p.s. I wouldn't personally have gone for it.... but, hey, some folks do, and will continue to....

Social source share

Not really sure what this thread is aimed at....

I could understand it if it was a record in that condition going for a high amount compared to value.... but this is probably worth what.... about a ton.... and it's gone for just £14 and is, probably, just bought to hear at home.... plus, maybe, add to a personal collection until a better one turns up....

Seen records guide priced at four figures with cracks, excessive noise, jumps, pops etc., etc., go for similar, and more, in cost/value ratios.... not really seen nowt said there when it happened.... a Margaret Little and a Two Plus Two spring to mind.... more, I'm sure....

Summat with label damage or summat with vinyl damage going cheap.... play properly or look at properly.... decisions, decisions.... I know what I'd opt for if I wanted to be able to play it....

So as for the "what goes through the mind of some is beyond repair" suggestion.... perhaps slightly OTT based on some things that have gone through ebay, and other sales, over the last decade or so....

p.s. I wouldn't personally have gone for it.... but, hey, some folks do, and will continue to....

Are you saying a Margaret Little has gone cheap because a label was knackered, when was this, as I've had all three known copies in my hands and although they're not mint they aren't knackered either.?
Social source share

Are you saying a Margaret Little has gone cheap because a label was knackered, when was this, as I've had all three known copies in my hands and although they're not mint they aren't knackered either.?

No Mark.... if you read it back you'll see I was talking in general about high priced records with other imperfections and their cost to value ratios.... I merely mentioned ML as it was one that sprang to mind during my reply as seem to recall one was sold with an "edge crack" in its description....

Here, this bit....

Edited by vaultofsouler
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert