Shake Your Hips! Meets Mi Barrio! - Sat 13Th March

TheBigO

:thumbup: Well, after a 1-yr break from the wonderful world of club promoting, I'm back! Having done the big venue thing (NORTHERN SOUL @ THE PLINSTON!; THE COMMUNITY SOUL PROJECT @ THE SPIRELLA etc) I have been approached by the crew behind Hitchin's SHAKE YOUR HIPS! nights to open a second room at the superb REMIX Club and so I have agreed and on Saturday 13th March we launch MI BARRIO!, our newest club night.

Full details and information can be found in the flyers gallery elsewhere on the site but in brief the venue is fantastic, great music in 2 rooms, the doors open 9pm-2am, there is plenty of parking all around the venue ( also a huge free car park less than a minutes walk away)and a great night is in store for all who venture up the stairs in search of soul self satisfaction :D A mere £4 in advance or £5 on the door secures your place.

The main room DJ's at SYH!, Lee Miller (soon to be turning 40!), Leon Hewitt, Big Jon & Alex Nix, ROCH will be blasting out those rocking R&B toons, 6Ts floorshakers, Belting Boogaloo and Skanin' Ska to the usual up for it crowd. Expect the floor to see serious dance action all night and the sweat content high!

MI BARRIO! Dj's; TheBigO (Plinston, Community Soul Project, Morecombe allnighters etc), Hemels Soulful Duo Yogi and Little Reg and Rickybabe (class DJ from the Wag, Dingwalls, The Blue Note to name but 3)will be stepping up to offer you a melting pot of all things soulful - spanning Northern, Modern, Latin, Funk and Jazz. Our aim is to create a vibe and a groove that is geared to make you want to dance all night and never leave :good:

If your looking for a night with a difference the why not come along and check it out, all are welcome and if you miss that Plinston vibe then this could just be the venue your looking for. Interest is high and looking set to be a great night. Email me at nh6tsmafia@aol.com if you need further info etc. All are welcome.

Look forward to seeing many of the old faces and new faces alike on the opening night :king:

Edited by TheBigO
  • Replies 36
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest shakeyahips

thumbup.gif Well, after a 1-yr break from the wonderful world of club promoting, I'm back! Having done the big venue thing (NORTHERN SOUL @ THE PLINSTON!; THE COMMUNITY SOUL PROJECT @ THE SPIRELLA etc) I have been approached by the crew behind Hitchin's SHAKE YOUR HIPS! nights to open a second room at the superb REMIX Club and so I have agreed and on Saturday 13th March we launch MI BARRIO!, our newest club night.

Full details and information can be found in the flyers gallery elsewhere on the site but in brief the venue is fantastic, great music in 2 rooms, the doors open 9pm-2am, there is plenty of parking all around the venue ( also a huge free car park less than a minutes walk away)and a great night is in store for all who venture up the stairs in search of soul self satisfaction biggrin.gif A mere £4 in advance or £5 on the door secures your place.

The main room DJ's at SYH!, Lee Miller (soon to be turning 40!), Leon Hewitt, Big Jon & Alex Nix, ROCH will be blasting out those rocking R&B toons, 6Ts floorshakers, Belting Boogaloo and Skanin' Ska to the usual up for it crowd. Expect the floor to see serious dance action all night and the sweat content high!

MI BARRIO! Dj's; TheBigO (Plinston, Community Soul Project, Morecombe allnighters etc), Hemels Soulful Duo Yogi and Little Reg and Rickybabe (class DJ from the Wag, Dingwalls, The Blue Note to name but 3)will be stepping up to offer you a melting pot of all things soulful - spanning Northern, Modern, Latin, Funk and Jazz. Our aim is to create a vibe and a groove that is geared to make you want to dance all night and never leave good.gif

If your looking for a night with a difference the why not come along and check it out, all are welcome and if you miss that Plinston vibe then this could just be the venue your looking for. Interest is high and looking set to be a great night. Email me at nh6tsmafia@aol.com if you need further info etc. All are welcome.

Look forward to seeing many of the old faces and new faces alike on the opening night king.gif

Really looking forward to this, two rooms of top quality tunes, this is going to be a belter !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok the Facebook page is pretty cool :thumbsup: Right, having had a think about it the DJ times sould run as follows:

9-10: TheBigO

10-11: Little Reg

11-12: Yogi

12-1am: Rickybabe

1-2am: TheBigO

expect toons a plenty geared to get the dancefloor a mooving and a grooving and a great mix from all the DJ's above. :unsure:

The venue is superb, the 2 rooms means theres plenty on offer for whatever your musical tastes strecth too and a party beckons. Shall keep you posted of any updates and as always pass the word on and look forward to seeing as many of you there as can make it. good.gif

And it would help if I actually post where you can get your £4 adv tickets from- DOH! :shades: Ok, are available from the following sources: the website, www.remix.uk.com, from the Helen Rochfort shop (opposite the carpark for Sainsburys in Hitchin and also has a fantastic selection for the ladies of groovy handbags etc) or by texting REMIX to 82500. :lol:

Things have moved on a pace since the glory days of the late 70's where it was a tin, a pile of change and the mantra 'Can you please have the f***ing correct change!!!'

Edited by TheBigO

Really looking forward to this thumbup.gif

Alex and myself cant wait to spin some vinyl on the turntables

Also along with Mr Miller,Julian & Leon should be a banging night

Hope to see some of you there biggrin.gif

Guest shakeyahips

Really looking forward to this thumbup.gif

Alex and myself cant wait to spin some vinyl on the turntables

Also along with Mr Miller,Julian & Leon should be a banging night

Hope to see some of you there biggrin.gif

Interest is big and getting a lot of positive feedback fro people , so it is looking to being a superb night

Interest is big and getting a lot of positive feedback fro people , so it is looking to being a superb night

You been hanging out with the Deep Funk crew again Julian???? That well known crew, Fro People :thumbup: Will give you a call this week to meet up etc. Roll on the 13th

Guest shakeyahips

You been hanging out with the Deep Funk crew again Julian???? That well known crew, Fro People thumbup.gif Will give you a call this week to meet up etc. Roll on the 13th

You can't beat a little bit of funk Neil !! Roll on the 13th !!

Have today heard from Little Reg who is promising us a set full of Caister and Cally soul classics mixed in with the odd tune that the balding one is raving about at the mo, which lets face it cold be any one of a few hundred :thumbsup: Yogi is bringing his usual mix to the decks so expect a solid set of dancers from him of a Northern vibe, Rickybabe will be his usual eccelectic mix of everything across the spectrum of sounds available, from dancefloor Jazz to Deep Funk and I have to admit I am looking forward to his return to the decks, and I will of course bring a bit of everything geared to get those at the end screaming for more as we send them off in the night with the sound of the GOD that was Arthur Alexander Stay By Me ringing in their ears. Above all else its a party so come with an open mind, an urge to dance and a smile on your face and you will be most welcome. Now, wheres that copy of Sage I misfiled got too!!!! :huh:

Guest shakeyahips

Have today heard from Little Reg who is promising us a set full of Caister and Cally soul classics mixed in with the odd tune that the balding one is raving about at the mo, which lets face it cold be any one of a few hundred thumbup.gif Yogi is bringing his usual mix to the decks so expect a solid set of dancers from him of a Northern vibe, Rickybabe will be his usual eccelectic mix of everything across the spectrum of sounds available, from dancefloor Jazz to Deep Funk and I have to admit I am looking forward to his return to the decks, and I will of course bring a bit of everything geared to get those at the end screaming for more as we send them off in the night with the sound of the GOD that was Arthur Alexander Stay By Me ringing in their ears. Above all else its a party so come with an open mind, an urge to dance and a smile on your face and you will be most welcome. Now, wheres that copy of Sage I misfiled got too!!!! laugh.gif

More good news is that the club owner has said if the place is jumping we can carry on until 3:30 am if we want to !!! yes.gif

:ohmy: OMG! After midnight I'm lucky if I am still awake let alone jumping these days :thumbsup: Thats good to know, if it is the case then I think a DJ scrum is in order for that extra hour and a half where we all throw things at the deck and mix it up a bit :boxing: Mind you, and its important to mention I feel Julian, has one forgotten that the following day its Mothers Day??? Now I know my wife well enough to know if I am not at my best that morning for her big day with the 3 kids then me and my balls will be parting company :( By the way, REMIX is in Hermitage Road, Hitchin - I forgot to mention this in any of the previous posts tumbleweed3.gif

Great nights of solid RnB so we will definiately be there as always.

:thumbup: As always Pete it will be good to catch up with you and the lovely better looking other half, and yes the R&B room looks set to be its usual quality self and I will be partaking of the toons via the medium of the dancefloor myself so watch out for flaying limbs in your direction whistling I see June 5th is the next date for your Luton event so will mail all the old Plinston brigade as well. C U next Saturday guys

Edited by TheBigO

Just had a few more emails come in from many of the old Plinston crew who have confirmed they will be attending this Saturday so its looking set to be a blinding night and shaping up to be a get together and a real party!thumbup.gif As mentioned before its a real melting pot on offer and should provide a fab atmosphere and I know that all the DJs are looking through the collections to pull out all the stops, oldies to newies to unknowns etc etcsleep3.gif And yes Julia I will be bringing along Natalie Cole 'Mr Melody' so please dont send any more threatening emails or indeed nude photos of yourself, Jane is getting to quite like those. C U all Saturday for a Saturday night get togethertongue.gif Now, wheres my whistle and baldy wig in tribute to Little Reg??????????

Guest shakeyahips

Just had a few more emails come in from many of the old Plinston crew who have confirmed they will be attending this Saturday so its looking set to be a blinding night and shaping up to be a get together and a real party!:thumbup: As mentioned before its a real melting pot on offer and should provide a fab atmosphere and I know that all the DJs are looking through the collections to pull out all the stops, oldies to newies to unknowns etc etc:sleep3: And yes Julia I will be bringing along Natalie Cole 'Mr Melody' so please dont send any more threatening emails or indeed nude photos of yourself, Jane is getting to quite like those. C U all Saturday for a Saturday night get together:tongue: Now, wheres my whistle and baldy wig in tribute to Little Reg??????????

Not long to go now, here is the set list for the R&B room.

Jon - 9 - 10:00

Roch - 10:00 - 10:30

Alex - 10:30 - 11:30

Leon - 11:30 - 12:30

Lee Miller - 12:30 - 1:30

whoever is sober enough :thumbup: 1:30 - 2:00

Not long to go now, here is the set list for the R&B room.

Jon - 9 - 10:00

Roch - 10:00 - 10:30

Alex - 10:30 - 11:30

Leon - 11:30 - 12:30

Lee Miller - 12:30 - 1:30

whoever is sober enough thumbup.gif 1:30 - 2:00

That will be the doormen then Julian??? :thumbsup: I'll call you later as having the famous Plinston-style 3ft posters done up for placing around the rooms and also meeting up with Rickybabe later to discuss the toons to be played. Laters

Guest t.o.t.s.s.c

That will be the doormen then Julian??? :thumbsup: I'll call you later as having the famous Plinston-style 3ft posters done up for placing around the rooms and also meeting up with Rickybabe later to discuss the toons to be played. Laters

PLINSTONE STYLE 3ft POSTERS PLACED AROUND THE ROOMS

HAVE YOU GOT ANY DOUBLES WE MAY STAY THE NIGHT IF YOUR PROVIDING BEDS.

PLINSTONE STYLE 3ft POSTERS PLACED AROUND THE ROOMS

HAVE YOU GOT ANY DOUBLES WE MAY STAY THE NIGHT IF YOUR PROVIDING BEDS.

:ohmy: I do so hope thats not an offer of sexual favours Mr T!!!!! Besides, with the sounds to be spun you wont be falling asleep or wanting to sit down (groan!) :lol: Spoke with Taff the other day and he and the old firm are coming along too (and DJing in Sept) so roll on the 13th!!!!! :lol:

Ok, having spent an evening at my home playing toons with Rickybabes and discovering new sounds from the Jazz dance side of things (and thanks for those R) we have to announce a change in the DJ times as Rickybabe needs to be moved to the 11-12am slot and Yogi now moves into his, the 12-1am slot. For those that have asked for an idea of some of the toons that will define the things we will be spinning look no further; Ricky's set will inc. such toons as Dusty Sprigfield 'Love Power'; Louie Jordan 'Bullit'; Freda Payne 'Unhooked Generation' an d Robert Lowe 'Get Your Legs Up' (TOON!) and mine will feature the more soulful side of things including Ray Mondo 'Young Hearts Run Free'; Sage 'I'm Alive'; Count Demon 'Work On It'; Cross Bronx Expressway ' Help Your Brothers' and the Latin Express 'Soul in my soul'. In other words expect a true melting pot across the board but all geared to get those leather soles shoes/trainers shuffling out there. Anyway, come early and lets get the party started :thumbup:

Wahoo! Have just taken a good look around the venue and have to say its perfect! As an indication of what its like think The Dome minus the holes :huh: and you wont be far off, the 2nd room is like the beloved 'The Ghetto' from the days of the Plinston and is perfect for the R&B etc being spun on the night. Both rooms feature large bars, raised seating areas, wooden dancefloors and stage areas. Access is via a tiny doorway between 2 shops (seedy and perfect for us) and the sound system is banging. Hoping to see as many of you as possible that can make it this Saturday for what we want to be a party (have I said that b4???) Be warned Uncle Vince is coming so expect plenty of aging backdrops and groans :lol: Oh, and the venue are OK with the use of talc so you can expect your little piece of turf to be suitable for slipping, sliding and spinning.

Edited by TheBigO
Guest shakeyahips

Wahoo! Have just taken a good look around the venue and have to say its perfect! As an indication of what its like think The Dome minus the holes laugh.gif and you wont be far off, the 2nd room is like the beloved 'The Ghetto' from the days of the Plinston and is perfect for the R&B etc being spun on the night. Both rooms feature large bars, raised seating areas, wooden dancefloors and stage areas. Access is via a tiny doorway between 2 shops (seedy and perfect for us) and the sound system is banging. Hoping to see as many of you as possible that can make it this Saturday for what we want to be a party (have I said that b4???) Be warned Uncle Vince is coming so expect plenty of aging backdrops and groans hatsoff2.gif Oh, and the venue are OK with the use of talc so you can expect your little piece of turf to be suitable for slipping, sliding and spinning.

See you all tomorrow night, dancing shoes and drinking head at the ready thumbsup.gif

Guest shakeyahips

See you all tomorrow night, dancing shoes and drinking head at the ready thumbsup.gif

Hee Hee tonights the night, mine's a G & T pleaseyes.gif !!

looking forward to it :lol: Been trying to wade through the racks, in amongst all the building work, to sort a load of toons out and rediscovering a heap of great 45s I'd forgotten all about that I shall be spinning early doors and trying, for the first night, to get a good balance of classic oldies and lesser known sounds to hopefully get everyone up and dancing ready for Reg, Rickybabes and Yogi to really get the place jumping! Still looking for my box with my 400 playlist in it so panicing slghtly at this time frusty2.gif on the plus side its made me have to focus on what have already in the play box so should be an intersting set - oooh er! Shall see everyone there tonight and catch up then.

Guest Dr Pickles

Good luck guys.

Really hope this goes well for you. Great to see you pushing the bounderies even further.

Reg and Yogi have both got fantastic records and a great ear for danceable soul music. I'm sure they're itching to get on the decks.

All the Best

Doc

looking forward to it yes.gif Been trying to wade through the racks, in amongst all the building work, to sort a load of toons out and rediscovering a heap of great 45s I'd forgotten all about that I shall be spinning early doors and trying, for the first night, to get a good balance of classic oldies and lesser known sounds to hopefully get everyone up and dancing ready for Reg, Rickybabes and Yogi to really get the place jumping! Still looking for my box with my 400 playlist in it so panicing slghtly at this time frusty2.gif on the plus side its made me have to focus on what have already in the play box so should be an intersting set - oooh er! Shall see everyone there tonight and catch up then.

Just finished packing my box, ready for later.

Neil how can you fit 84 sounds into an hour?!?!?!smile.gif

looking forward to it and meeting with up with some faces i've not seen for a while. thumbsup.gif

it's building upi to be a great night

See you all later

Cheers

Yogibiggrin.gif

Dearest Yogi, as you are well aware from the Plinston days I am always prepared and in the case of DJing that means at least enough toons to cover the whole night!!!!! Weirdly I am always stood behind the decks thinking wheres that toon, or bugger I havent enough to spin etc!!!! I think everyone is right, looking set to be a bit of a party tonight if all goes well. Pickles would have loved to see you and Lou joining us from that buiding site you call home in the back of beyond (any street lights yet????) but maybe next time. Your right, it will be a good mix of styles tonight but all with a soulful edge and with the other room spinning some great ska and rhythm 'n' blues everyone should find something to get them shuffling away. Now if no one minds I am about to go forth and clamber over half a ton of rubble, building equipment and the likes to see if I can reach that 2nd box that has Sage, Allen Sisters, Luther to name but 3 in it!!!! Roll on...

:lol: For those that have been following avidly the saga of 'will he/wont he' find the record boxes in time over the past few posts I have returned from the room of plentiful toons, and as I type am covered in building dust, cobwebs and some strange smelling white substance that I REALLY don't want to investigate further, and have the 2nd 400 box in my now brusied hand :) So, panic over and am now well covered for all things crossover/70's, latin and northern and northern R&B (if that term exists) and have pulled forth such toons as Bobby Jonz, Sage, Topics, Luther, Lorenzo Holden, Golden Toadstools, Latin Breed, Barbara Lynn to name the few I am currently flicking through :wub: Now, a bath, feed the kids and come 8pm I will be at the venue doing the sound tests etc and puting up the posters ready for some light fingered git to have them before the end of the night (which is of course OK) Spoken with all the DJs and all are up for it so bring your dancing feet and your happy selves and lets begin :yes:

OK its Mothers Day so this will be a brief outline of the night. A great turn-out saw both rooms busy and there were plenty of quality toons across the board being spun by all the DJs. My thanks go to Little Reg, Rickybabes and Yogi for supporting this the first night for us and to everyone who made the journey, especially the Cambridge crew (their event is April 5th in March, Cambs I think, check events page here!) and it was great to see many of the old faces returning to the local scene. We need to make a few tweaks for the next event in September (the bar in the soul room for example!) but overall for the first night it was great one and everyone had a good time. The atmosphere by the middle of the night was superb in both rooms and a good time was had by all. Thanks to Julian for inviting us to join the team and roll on September when Taffy will be joining the DJ rosta and we will be hosting a Modern By Moonlight event in the main hall. The venue is perfect for our events and if we can build on the success of this opening night for Mi Barrio! then the future for the local scene looks very very bright. Many thanks again to each and everyone of you for the support for both rooms. Now bugger off and call your mothers!

Thanks for that Boots, glad you and the family had a great time. Tell Ian next one I'll be in my dancing shoes and not those clodhopper trainers that I wore so the shuffling is ON! :yes: Having had a number of calls and emails saying what a great night people had and feedback i think the next one will incorporate both Modern By Moonlight and an oldies night in the Main Hall featuring all the toons we threw ourselves around the halls to in the late 70's/early 80's. Get the zimmers ready :yes: Full details to follow

Guest shakeyahips

Thanks for that Boots, glad you and the family had a great time. Tell Ian next one I'll be in my dancing shoes and not those clodhopper trainers that I wore so the shuffling is ON! boxing.gif Having had a number of calls and emails saying what a great night people had and feedback i think the next one will incorporate both Modern By Moonlight and an oldies night in the Main Hall featuring all the toons we threw ourselves around the halls to in the late 70's/early 80's. Get the zimmers ready beer.gif Full details to follow

What a great night, loads of people having a great time and it was nice to see the venue full, many thanks to you all for coming !!!hatsoff2.gif

As Neil said we are looking at September time for the next one, see you then

Guest shakeyahips

What a great night, loads of people having a great time and it was nice to see the venue full, many thanks to you all for coming !!!hatsoff2.gif

As Neil said we are looking at September time for the next one, see you then

There are some new photos from the night on www.myspace.com/shakeyahips

:thumbup: OK pics are great although Julian could have warned us of the one of him!!!! I have children you fool now crying in their bedrooms having seen that! I would have posted the ones from the Soul room I took except my disc got buggered somehow so it was all pitch black when I got home, a pity as we obviously had over 1000 in the room. Such a shame the pics didnt come out :thumbsup: Anyway next event is Septembr 18th and full details will be posted here in the next few weeks so watch this space. I will be making a foray into the R&B room to spin some toons and Taffy will be making a welcome return to the wheels of steel in the Soul room. Thanks again for a great night all.