King Go Forth- Why Is It So Hated

Geeselad

Posted kings go forth- one day as a link on my facebook last night, with the admittably provocative "Ive heard the future of Northern soul and it sounds like this" couldnt believe the reaction 12 comments in half an hour, all negative, someone said its like a FYC bside, LOL!!

I just love, how can this be so hated!!

Edited by geeselad
Social source share

• Replies 94
  • Views 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted kings go forth- one day as a link on my facebook last night, with the admittably provocative "Ive heard the future of Northern soul and it sounds like this" couldnt believe the reaction 12 comments in half an hour, all negative, someone said its like a FYC bside, LOL!!

Dinosaurs

Social source share

Not my cup of tea but can see the appeal...still fetches decent money...I just think the soul scene is possibly the worst for accepting change...and new soul sounding like old soul tends to be derided more often than not

Social source share

I don't worry what people think about about music I like anymore ! biggrin.gif

Its just your taste, and tastes also change.

People are always banging on about this being "dire" that being "total shite"

Ive done it myself loads of times. Many times ended up eating my words ! LOL

It is because everyone has an oppinion - and we always seem to like to air the negitive ones !

I think because music is so personal to people, you can be offended by someone

who directs shit comments about a particular tune or band you may like.

There is a lack of politeness by people in general when it comes to disscussing musical taste.

Maybe its because we all think that we have the better taste ?

Just enjoy and get into things YOU like ! Sod whatever anyone thinks of your taste in music !!

(I think KGF are great BTW)

Social source share

Think most 'soulies' (applying the term loosely) buy the record for t'other side, which is by no means bad but not brilliant IMO, however the 'one day' side is rather splendid, a nice blend of uptempo funk and soul with a south american vibe that just makes you wanna enjoy it!

Edited by LilJimmyCrank
Social source share

Think most 'soulies' (applying the term loosely) buy the record for t'other side, which is by no means bad but not brilliant IMO, however the 'one day' side is rather splendid, a nice blend of uptempo funk and soul with a south american vibe that just makes you wanna enjoy it!

Thanks tricky didnt know tuther side was good, looking forward to recieving my copy in the post all the more now.

Social source share

well i dont hate it BUT i do think its a case of 'dont believe the hype /emporers new clothes ' cos theres no way its worth 50-100 quid !! IMHO !!!!...you can get so much better music for ya money...

considering its new music then yeah its good but relics,dinasaurs or what ever you call 60s soul lovers theres very few new tracks that can stand next to the 60s/70s stuff...it was just a different way of recording back then which sadly digital recording has ruined...for me anyway...but maybe only time will tell,will it be a classic we will have to wait and see...

Social source share

this is first time ive heard it , the title "one day ", sounds pretty good to me, though i was expecting to say the opposite, i dont know why. i havent heard other side, hang on , back in a minute..

phew, right well first on listed in refosoul , i know is a cover of impressions "you always hurt me", which i like a lot but not this version for some reason. i think even impressions version might get up the noses of some people, as being ,, a bit poppy maybe i dont know, just an opinion , i like it , i bought it two years ago, dont play it much i have to say but the kings go forth version is even less inspiring , a bit like kenny ball,s jazz men do lennon and mcartney if you know what i mean.

i guess if people heard that first then their view of anything that followed might be a bit tainted. Good of people to give so much , er posiitive feedback on your social network page though eh?

Edited by whatsthiscalled
Social source share

well i dont hate it BUT i do think its a case of 'dont believe the hype /emporers new clothes ' cos theres no way its worth 50-100 quid !! IMHO !!!!...you can get so much better music for ya money...

considering its new music then yeah its good but relics,dinasaurs or what ever you call 60s soul lovers theres very few new tracks that can stand next to the 60s/70s stuff...it was just a different way of recording back then which sadly digital recording has ruined...for me anyway...but maybe only time will tell,will it be a classic we will have to wait and see...

Above all my tastes in music 60s Soul is my fav also. But I am enjoying lots of new release bits at the moment too.

I think "one day" was "HYPED" on here when it was released, and we dont like being told what we are gonna fooking like do we ? biggrin.gif

I like KGFs last 45 - I bought that - Much more 70s / Salsoul sounding - but really good IMO

I love my 60s stuff to bits - but it is nice to be buying new releases that I really like.

makes me feel young again LOL !!

Social source share

The money it fetches is a little ridiculous...but I suppose with limited pressing it might well become more sought after as years go by...more to my taste is Gizzelles version of Baby Please Don't Go...the black vinyl release(As opposed to the purple second pressing) is also going for a ton+

Social source share

this is first time ive heard it , the title "one day ", sounds pretty good to me, though i was expecting to say the opposite, i dont know why. i havent heard other side, hang on , back in a minute..

phew, right well first on listed in refosoul , i know is a cover of impressions "you always hurt me", which i like a lot but not this version for some reason. i think even impressions version might get up the noses of some people, as being ,, a bit poppy maybe i dont know, just an opinion , i like it , i bought it two years ago, dont play it much i have to say but the kings go forth version is even less inspiring , a bit like kenny ball,s jazz men do lennon and mcartney if you know what i mean.

i guess if people heard that first then their view of anything that followed might be a bit tainted. Good of people to give so much , er posiitive feedback on your social network page though eh?

I an not 100 per cent sure........ but I posted the Exception "you always hurt me" - covered up as "Kings go forth" as a joke a couple of years ago. I think you may have been listening to that.

It was only done as a joke. I will ask Mike to delete it if this is the case.

But I bet thats what you are hearing...

..........Just checked - it is !

LOL - I will ask Mike to delete it

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

The money it fetches is a little ridiculous...but I suppose with limited pressing it might well become more sought after as years go by...more to my taste is Gizzelles version of Baby Please Don't Go...the black vinyl release(As opposed to the purple second pressing) is also going for a ton+

shit i sold one for £25 6.gif

Social source share

Having just got Myron and E- its a shame, this track is amazing!!!!! Maybe a little more conventionaly northern sounding for the relics, we'll see what reaction this gets ta night.

Ooh look at us, we're so evolved we can accept music from any era and class it as Northern while we leave behind the rest of the dinosaurs, look at them enjoying their traditional Northern Soul, how dare they...

SHOVE 'EM UP YOUR ARSE :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Do the right thing Mike, smash it..

You can have it for 50 quid Pete and file it with the Carstairs.

Or I'll swap it for that Ben Zine on your list. KGF are probably easier to shift whistling.gif

Social source share

Ooh look at us, we're so evolved we can accept music from any era and class it as Northern while we leave behind the rest of the dinosaurs, look at them enjoying their traditional Northern Soul, how dare they...

SHOVE 'EM UP YOUR ARSE laugh.gif

Well said Pete, couldn't have put it better, Tony the tynasaurus.

Social source share

It's OK, both sides are good but not outstanding...IMO of course. A release limited to 500 makes it a far harder record than many that are considered 'big money rarities' so if the demand is there for it, which it is then no surprise the price keeps climbing. The 'haters' are either people who stopped listening with an open mind in 1969, or people who have listened with an open mind and then decided it's sh*te, or more likely they are people who love it and want to own a copy but are filled with jealousy and bitterness that they weren't quick enough to get it for £10 when released and will now have to pay a hiked price for it so....of course they won't ever admit to paying £75+ instead they will proudly announce that they got in at the very start and paid a tenner and everyone else are like sheep following them :lol::thumbsup:

Best new release I've heard recently is without doubt Black Joe Williams & The Honeybears, available on vinyl as LP, no 45 release. For me best track is below, but whole LP is superb :lol:.

Played this out at Move On last month to a very, very good reaction.....

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Mebbe...I did sell ben Zine though!

Not surprised. Dont see it too often, and that was the first time I've seen it for under a ton in a good while.

Social source share

My friend, you have to accept that the 'Northern Soul' scene is Dogmatic and bigotted. The term 'Nothern Soul' has been hijacked by a load of old moaners who have forgotten that they used to hear 'New' tunes every single week. They had to batter the term into a meaning that fits their love of hearing the top 500 over and over and over again. Its a fear and safety thing.

ONE DAY is a superb track and you should just feel pity fot the ones making negative comments. Fear is a negative emotion and thats what drives them..yes.gif Bless.

Social source share

My friend, you have to accept that the 'Northern Soul' scene is Dogmatic and bigotted. The term 'Nothern Soul' has been hijacked by a load of old moaners who have forgotten that they used to hear 'New' tunes every single week. They had to batter the term into a meaning that fits their love of hearing the top 500 over and over and over again. Its a fear and safety thing.

ONE DAY is a superb track and you should just feel pity fot the ones making negative comments. Fear is a negative emotion and thats what drives them..yes.gif Bless.

Patronising as ever...

Social source share

I an not 100 per cent sure........ but I posted the Exception "you always hurt me" - covered up as "Kings go forth" as a joke a couple of years ago. I think you may have been listening to that.

It was only done as a joke. I will ask Mike to delete it if this is the case.

But I bet thats what you are hearing...

..........Just checked - it is !

LOL - I will ask Mike to delete it

Im not arsed personally , but maybe the band wouldnt be too pleased.

Social source share

I remember back in the 70's when I was buying new releases, lots of my mates were saying they were shite etc, lots of them records are now northern classics, and same people rave over them now, strange world of northern soul.

I've got nothing against Kings Go Forth or retro-sounding records on the whole, I like them, but I hate the name calling aimed at people who aren't interested (dinosaurs, relics) so why do it? It just makes you look as if you're trying to come across as being superior to everyone else (see Paul S's comments for more of the same).

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I've got nothing against Kings Go Forth or retro-sounding records on the whole, I like them, but I hate the name calling aimed at people who aren't interested (dinosaurs, relics) so why do it? It just makes you look as if you're trying to come across as being superior to everyone else (see Paul S's comments for more of the same).

Didnt we have the same reaction when that German track - Hip Teens, Dont Wear Blue Jeans - was released? (Cant remember the artist.)

I think the KGF is far better than that. But it might be a decent comparrison. As far as I know, it had its 5 minutes, and has since been pretty much forgotten about. Maybe the Euro lads could shed light as to whether it is still popular on the continent?

Social source share

Didnt we have the same reaction when that German track - Hip Teens, Dont Wear Blue Jeans - was released? (Cant remember the artist.)

I think the KGF is far better than that. But it might be a decent comparrison. As far as I know, it had its 5 minutes, and has since been pretty much forgotten about. Maybe the Euro lads could shed light as to whether it is still popular on the continent?

Frank Popp did hip teens..

Its the same with anything that come along...

Some do and some don't... :thumbsup: ..

Just sometimes the ones that don't really go on more than the ones that do... :lol: ...

Social source share

Okay , . Is there a general suspicion and maybe even resentment at stuff thats produced now , that soul music fans might buy because its what used to be called taylor made, ( nowt to do wi ginger obviously, though he did try and foist that four vandals shite on the baggy trousered masses a bit ago.) The music in itself is good , would sound great live i think, but i guess its often thought that its produced to cash in as opposed to showing an appreciation of soul. Youre the one sounds to me like a reworked oldie which loads of people do, and are promptly slated for usually, if somethings redone and not particularly good, its subject to scorn and ridicule, and if it is a quality rendition , its cashing in. Just depends which jaundiced eye one is apt to view from really.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Frank Popp did hip teens..

Its the same with anything that come along...

Some do and some don't... hatsoff2.gif ..

Just sometimes the ones that don't really go on more than the ones that do... shhh.gif ...

You go over to Euope a bit Steve, do they stil play Frank Popp over there?

Social source share

I remember back in the 70's when I was buying new releases, lots of my mates were saying they were shite etc, lots of them records are now northern classics, and same people rave over them now, strange world of northern soul.

Great,,hopefully they'll be considered classics in 25 years time then and we can rave over them..oh,hang on,half of us will probably have died from old age by thenlaugh.gif

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

more to my taste is Gizzelles version of Baby Please Don't Go...the black vinyl release(As opposed to the purple second pressing) is also going for a ton+

...although there were only about half as many purple copies pressed than there were black ones...yes.gif

Social source share

Okay , . Is there a general suspicion and maybe even resentment at stuff thats produced now , that soul music fans might buy because its what used to be called taylor made, ( nowt to do wi ginger obviously, though he did try and foist that four vandals shite on the baggy trousered masses a bit ago.) The music in itself is good , would sound great live i think, but i guess its often thought that its produced to cash in as opposed to showing an appreciation of soul. Youre the one sounds to me like a reworked oldie which loads of people do, and are promptly slated for usually, if somethings redone and not particularly good, its subject to scorn and ridicule, and if it is a quality rendition , its cashing in. Just depends which jaundiced eye one is apt to view from really.

What about that Nicole Willis "If this ain;t love", obviously aimed at the dancefloor but fabulous in evey way, I thought it was a pure 60's track when I first heard it. Even the big pop names doing retro, most notably Amy Winehouse, Charlene Spiteri, Tom Jones - I liked all of those as well. I do like this stuff. I just don't like people being insulted because THEY don't, it's soulophobia!

Social source share

You go over to Euope a bit Steve, do they stil play Frank Popp over there?

Not sure Mike.. Not the places i go, i think its more a tune for the scooter scene etc...

I would think it stills get plenty plays here still at some places, mabe others can comment???

I think Frank did a decent job on some of those tracks, not something i would buy/ play but i can see the appeal...

I think its better than a lot of the Wigan pop stuff.. Better production and all that..

I treat each new release on its merits... Some are pretty good and others leave me cold, same as any other music..

Social source share

Guest becchio

i dont know much about artists and labels and all that stuff , :tumbleweed3:

but i like it :yes: , bet its great to dance to

Edited by becchio
Social source share

To say a band is just cashing in, and im talking strictly in the case of KGF in this case, is a little harsh.

As with most bands / musicians, they have different influences which then form their sound. That sound is then picked up by an audience.

I doubt when they started out, KGF targeted the 'northern soul scene' as their audience, perhaps more funk / jazz and general soul audiences at a guess.

Wouldnt say theyre trying to cash in; selling singles at £10 and only producing 500 copies. They'd clearly be cashing in if they had re-pressed the single following its success on the underground music scenes like this one.

I dont personally know the band (or any associates) so this is only an assumption, but i would suggest that the band ARE in fact showing an appreciation for soul music, as you can hear their 60's/70's soul and funk influences in music they produce, would hesitate to say even emulating their idols by producing music which capulate the great sounds from yesteryear.

Social source share

What about that Nicole Willis "If this ain;t love", obviously aimed at the dancefloor but fabulous in evey way, I thought it was a pure 60's track when I first heard it. Even the big pop names doing retro, most notably Amy Winehouse, Charlene Spiteri, Tom Jones - I liked all of those as well. I do like this stuff. I just don't like people being insulted because THEY don't, it's soulophobia!

good call lad, only in mischief and not directed specifically at you .

Social source share

To say a band is just cashing in, and im talking strictly in the case of KGF in this case, is a little harsh.

As with most bands / musicians, they have different influences which then form their sound. That sound is then picked up by an audience.

I doubt when they started out, KGF targeted the 'northern soul scene' as their audience, perhaps more funk / jazz and general soul audiences at a guess.

Wouldnt say theyre trying to cash in; selling singles at £10 and only producing 500 copies. They'd clearly be cashing in if they had re-pressed the single following its success on the underground music scenes like this one.

I dont personally know the band (or any associates) so this is only an assumption, but i would suggest that the band ARE in fact showing an appreciation for soul music, as you can hear their 60's/70's soul and funk influences in music they produce, would hesitate to say even emulating their idols by producing music which capulate the great sounds from yesteryear.

I think thats true, in the sense of em sounding authentic, but you know that not everyone sees it that way dont you?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!