Motown - Nashville Matrix Stamp

Julianb

Just sorting a 'tamla' box for a do tomorrow and came across this;-

Four Tops - Ask the lonely - Motown MT 1073 with a nashville matrix stamped in the deadwax.

I have another copy of this 45 with no stamp in the deadwax ( and the print definition is quite poor by comparison with the other).

Can anyone shed any light on this 45 for me?

TIA

Julian

Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just sorting a 'tamla' box for a do tomorrow and came across this;-

Four Tops - Ask the lonely - Motown MT 1073 with a nashville matrix stamped in the deadwax.

I have another copy of this 45 with no stamp in the deadwax ( and the print definition is quite poor by comparison with the other).

Can anyone shed any light on this 45 for me?

TIA

Julian

I would have thought that Motown used various pressing plants as this would cut down on haulage costs while distributing the records.

Kev

Social source share

I would have thought that Motown used various pressing plants as this would cut down on haulage costs while distributing the records.

Kev

Yes, Many different pressing plants used across the various Motown Labels.

"Arp", "Nashville Matrix", Monarch, ZTSC etc.

Which also leads to many different Label Variations, credit layout & such.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Wasn't there some tale that Gordy owed money to mob and he let them press up some 45s and recoup what he owed. Something along the lines of them being not strictly legit.

I've seen some Supremes and deffo "Baby I need your loving" which have very blurry labels and these were alledgedly those.

ROD

Hi Rod

Heard similar, however, never seen one or a scan Identified as such.

There are some different quality press amongst the "Legit" copies.

Would love to see a definite scan / details for the dodgy copies.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

nashville was also a mastering facility. the were used often by other pressers to make the plate for their presses. they etched a source number in the deadwax area to identify the customer. ie 95 was archer pressing in detroit. thus the masters the cut for archer will all have a 95 etched in the deadwax but archer was the presser. if i'm not mistaken some detroit records were mastered at nashville and pressed at arp. maybe they were just cheaper or faster at the time.

Social source share

nashville was also a mastering facility. the were used often by other pressers to make the plate for their presses. they etched a source number in the deadwax area to identify the customer. ie 95 was archer pressing in detroit. thus the masters the cut for archer will all have a 95 etched in the deadwax but archer was the presser. if i'm not mistaken some detroit records were mastered at nashville and pressed at arp. maybe they were just cheaper or faster at the time.

just got confirmation nashville matrix was not a pressing plant. they did lacquering and plating, but not actual record pressing.

Many Thanks Carl

Detailed Information like this is of Immense Value to Collectors.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert