What They Sold For In June 1970

Ric-tic

just reading through a pile of 'collectors soul magazines' that i may put on ebay tomorrow an interesting records for sale ad in one of them from around 1970 with prices in old money for younger members one new penny equaled 1 new penny:lol:

very late in 1971 i remember as a kid putting a wanted ad in n.m.e for mitch ryder breakout, i had not one reply then about a week later a record arrived, not expecting anything i opened it and it was a shiny new 'breakout' u.k demo the guy said he was an ex dj and he didnt need it anymore and asked that i send any current chart hit of my choice, i dont know why but i sent him 'son of my father' chickory tip :thumbsup: so i reakon i did well from the price in this ad:thumbsup:

post-410-12660997544782_thumb.jpg

post-410-12660997544782_thumb.jpg

Social source share

• Replies 38
  • Views 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

just reading through a pile of 'collectors soul magazines' that i may put on ebay tomorrow an interesting records for sale ad in one of them from around 1970 with prices in old money for younger members one new penny equaled 1 new penny:lol:

very late in 1971 i remember as a kid putting a wanted ad in n.m.e for mitch ryder breakout, i had not one reply then about a week later a record arrived, not expecting anything i opened it and it was a shiny new 'breakout' u.k demo the guy said he was an ex dj and he didnt need it anymore and asked that i send any current chart hit of my choice, i dont know why but i sent him 'son of my father' chickory tip laugh.gif so i reakon i did well from the price in this ad:thumbsup:

Fascinating stuff. F.L. Moore was onto the Northern Soul in-demanders earlier than most and he was MILES away from the North - down South in fact. So who was F.L. Moore and how was he getting his knowledge?

He had quite a few of the rare Motown at the time - the Elgins, the Contours, Gladys Knight, Kim Weston and the Velvelettes but he also had Dean Parrish on Boom, the Incredibles on Audio Arts and Bunny Sigler on Parkway so he was getting hold of some great stuff from all over the States. So where was he getting it from? Plus he's In Leighton Buzzard for God's sake.....? Questions, questions.......

Plus those prices were actually expensive at the time. In 1970 I was still at school but had a Saturday job which paid 2 pounds and ten shillings, so some of those records would have been almost 2/3 of one day's wages at the time. Pretty expensive believe or not.

Plus, if my memory serves me correctly, 3 shillings and 6 pence (approximately 32p today) would have bought you Chicory Tip so you made out like a bandit on the Mitch Ryder Ric Tic.......thumbup.gif

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Fascinating stuff. F.L. Moore was onto the Northern Soul in-demanders earlier than most and he was MILES away from the North - down South in fact. So who was F.L. Moore and how was he getting his knowledge?

Ian D biggrin.gif

Interesting.

He's not a million miles away from Northampton/Kettering/Wellingboro - there was quite a healthy scene as far south as Bedfordshire and

Northants well before '70, and some very knowledgeable people about in those parts.

g.gif I wouldn't be surprised if someone like Glen Bellamy could provide some answers but I don't know if he's on here.

.........How much does the Chicory Tip go for now? laugh.gif

- Kev.

Edited by KevinKent
Social source share

very late in 1971 i remember as a kid putting a wanted ad in n.m.e for mitch ryder breakout, i had not one reply then about a week later a record arrived, not expecting anything i opened it and it was a shiny new 'breakout' u.k demo the guy said he was an ex dj and he didnt need it anymore and asked that i send any current chart hit of my choice, i dont know why but i sent him 'son of my father' chickory tip :thumbsup: so i reakon i did well from the price in this ad:thumbsup:

FL Moore were the first Sales lists I ever saw.

One of my old mates (infact a good few years older), 'Diddy' Dave Frost was a local DJ around Rotherham and he used to sell me lots of things when I first started collecting, which all came from FL Moore.

All the older lads seemed to get there stuff from there. I think they were the first into Mail Order in a big way.

Those 45's listed will have been 'imports'. British stuff was quite a bit cheaper. I'd spend hours on a Saturday afternoon going through his new stuff that arrived each week from there, probably right up until about 1972/3.

Seem to think they had a couple of shops, somewhere down South, but the lists all came from Leighton Buzzard, which to a 14 year old sounded as exotic as San Francisco. :thumbsup:

I remember Dave got me a Shirley Karol "Just To Make You Happy" on Dakar off the list, just cos I was into Tyrone Davis.

(Remember taking it to a Northern do, many years later, but the DJ wouldn't play it cos it was too funky :-))

Even now, the very name FL Moore (always synonymous with Leighton Buzzard) makes me smile.

Really good to see the list. Thanks for posting.

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

Plus those prices were actually expensive at the time. In 1970 I was still at school but had a Saturday job which paid 2 pounds and ten shillings, so some of those records would have been almost 2/3 of one day's wages at the time. Pretty expensive believe or not.

Plus, if my memory serves me correctly, 3 shillings and 6 pence (approximately 32p today) would have bought you Chicory Tip so you made out like a bandit

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Plus, if my memory serves me correctly, 3 shillings and 6 pence (approximately 32p today) would have bought you Chicory Tip so you made out like a bandit

Ian D biggrin.gif

Graham / Ian

you 2 are getting ready for the nursing home 3shillings and 6 pence = 17 and a half New Pence

12 big old penny's =5 new pence

10 Bob =50 p

I have some records that came from an old Mojo attendee most have 2s/6d on the covers (12 1/2 p) , some have 3s/11d (19 1/2p) I guess these would have been purchased 1968 / 69 ish

Any younger reader wishing to see a TEN BOB NOTE-Joe Lakin has one in his wallet -and I'm not joking !!!!

Rob

Social source share

Graham / Ian

you 2 are getting ready for the nursing home 3shillings and 6 pence = 17 and a half New Pence

12 big old penny's =5 new pence

10 Bob =50 p

I have some records that came from an old Mojo attendee most have 2s/6d on the covers (12 1/2 p) , some have 3s/11d (19 1/2p) I guess these would have been purchased 1968 / 69 ish

Any younger reader wishing to see a TEN BOB NOTE-Joe Lakin has one in his wallet -and I'm not joking !!!!

Rob

Along with a white fiver :thumbup:

And several large Moths !!

Malc Burton

Social source share

Ian D biggrin.gif

funny you should say that as r.selwood askes that question in feb 1970 'how rare is a rare record' 1970 stylie

theres tons of records for sale but most people want offers heres another....

plus a review of jimmy ruffin live at the cats in early 1970

and a review of inez and charlie fox at the wheel 8th nov 69

and in feb 1970 a very young ian levine thinks that j j barnes 'is the uncrowned king of soul'

hope they are readable......

post-410-12661507404578_thumb.jpg

post-410-12661507838279_thumb.jpg

post-410-12661508277699_thumb.jpg

post-410-12661508677873_thumb.jpg

post-410-12661509386292_thumb.jpg

Edited by ric-tic
Social source share

THat was great to read. I love stuff like that from when I first started at my local youth club, and hearing my first "northern".

Was "Sweet Sherry" on a single? I thought it was just a "Rare Stamps" album track when it went big. I don't mean the Later Contempo release.

Paul

Social source share

THat was great to read. I love stuff like that from when I first started at my local youth club, and hearing my first "northern".

Was "Sweet Sherry" on a single? I thought it was just a "Rare Stamps" album track when it went big. I don't mean the Later Contempo release.

Paul

Don't think it was officially released. I have a bootleg copy on Groovesville with the Wingate Strings- Lets Have a Love In (Inst) on the other side.I have the Rare Stamps album.

My first ever import was from FL Moore about 1968/9- Heaven Must Have Sent You - The Elgins. 15 bob old money. I continued to buy a few records from FL Moore until I discovered a shop on Doncaster market ( Cannot remember the name-may have been Ashton or similar) then after that Selecta Disc in Nottingham.

Steve

Social source share

very late in 1971 i remember as a kid putting a wanted ad in n.m.e for mitch ryder breakout, i had not one reply then about a week later a record arrived, not expecting anything i opened it and it was a shiny new 'breakout' u.k demo the guy said he was an ex dj and he didnt need it anymore and asked that i send any current chart hit of my choice, i dont know why but i sent him 'son of my father' chickory tip :laugh: so i reakon i did well from the price in this ad:thumbsup:

Jammy VERY jammy, anyway, to cut to the chase....FL Moore records, after hearing Some Kind of Wonderful and She Blew a Good Thing played by Dingle

at the forrunner to the pilgrims in Bedford, I took bus trip to Mr Moores emprium in Leighton Buzzard to purchase a copy of the Poets, it was 35/- (£1.75P to you lot:thumbup: ) I was a 2nd year apprentice at Vauxhall in Luton where I lived (and still do) at the time, were talking 1966, earnin 30/- (£1.50 a week). Anyway, Freds, (we became quite friendly, moor of that later) place was in LB highstreet, it was a converted house, it smelt musty and what had been the living room kitchen etc were shelved out with records, Fred was more into Rock and Roll at the time to be honest, and i have to admit I dont know how he got into selling soul 'cause it was.nt actully what he was in to. Anyway, all i will say is, I got my Poets single ,and still have it, but to be honest I never paid for it, to bloody expensive and lets leave it at that, I hasten to add this is only time I ever got a sound for sweet FA.

Business was good for Fred and he moved to premises in Bury Park, now Blackbury Park:innocent: , in Luton, the premises are still there but its an Asian grocery now.

One or two of us were very priveleged by now, around 68/69, having given Fred a bloody fortune over the previous couple of years. He used to buy bulk lots of records, 5000/6000 job lots and many a happy Saturday were spent in his store room ploughing through piles of vinyl, discoverys that come to mind wre unearthing 4 copies of Festival Time and 2 copies Of All Turned , and getting nice prices for the excess copies at the old Bradord All nighter, for those who dont know it, grab All Turned on if you see a copy, its one belter of a sound:hatsoff2:. Selecta Disc also recieved a fortune from me, I had about 20 different Soul Sound singles I obtained from them at one timewhistling , I get the impression these bootlegs are now wiorth more than their O/E counterparts?, and no i no longer have them.

Around 1972 my tastes in exotic substances changed and also my tastes in music, Starship, Doobie Bros, Genisis, Pink Flloyd etc etc ruiled as mind expansion took place.

By the time I came back into the fold around 1978, and started trying to put my singles collection back togeather, (the bulk of which I had sold to pay for a monkey I had on my back I'd progressed to:sad: ) Fred was no longer in business.

Fred had a guy called Mick as a business partner when he was in Bury Park, about 3 years ago the wife and I were in B&Q in Luton to buy a bit of furniture for the kitchen and who should arrange the sale but Freds old oppo Mick, after FLMOORE folded he had managed a record shop in dunstable, which either folded or he had enough of the hassle and went to B&Q, in transpired that, at the time Fred had moved to Brighton and was not a well man,I dont know the current state of play, but I'm on holiday next week, Costa Del luton ( she wants some decorating done), I''ll shoot into B&Q and see if I can get an update on Freds health, as far as I'm concerned he was a major player in the supply of soul records back in the mid to late 60T's, the icing in my collection from him was Love Reputation - Denise LaSalle, he only ever got one copy and he actually kept it specially for me, I think SOULCARP will remember that occasion????, as I took it down the 3 Horseshoes the night I got it, the DJ stuck it on, he knew I only ever took the major sounds of the time doe=wn there, and the place erupted, everyone, and I mean everyone was trying to buy it from me....no chance, I'd paid a £5ver for it and was being offerd £20, not a lot now, but in 1971 the equivalent of what £150/£190 now?..

Edited by DanDare
Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

Jammy VERY jammy, anyway, to cut to the chase....FL Moore records, after hearing Some Kind of Wonderful and She Blew a Good Thing played by Dingle

at the forrunner to the pilgrims in Bedford, I took bus trip to Mr Moores emprium in Leighton Buzzard to purchase a copy of the Poets, it was 35/- (£1.75P to you lot:thumbup: ) I was a 2nd year apprentice at Vauxhall in Luton where I lived (and still do) at the time, were talking 1966, earnin 30/- (£1.50 a week). Anyway, Freds, (we became quite friendly, moor of that later) place was in LB highstreet, it was a converted house, it smelt musty and what had been the living room kitchen etc were shelved out with records, Fred was more into Rock and Roll at the time to be honest, and i have to admit I dont know how he got into selling soul 'cause it was.nt actully what he was in to. Anyway, all i will say is, I got my Poets single ,and still have it, but to be honest I never paid for it, to bloody expensive and lets leave it at that, I hasten to add this is only time I ever got a sound for sweet FA.

Business was good for Fred and he moved to premises in Bury Park, now Blackbury Park:innocent: , in Luton, the premises are still there but its an Asian grocery now.

One or two of us were very priveleged by now, around 68/69, having given Fred a bloody fortune over the previous couple of years. He used to buy bulk lots of records, 5000/6000 job lots and many a happy Saturday were spent in his store room ploughing through piles of vinyl, discoverys that come to mind wre unearthing 4 copies of Festival Time and 2 copies Of All Turned , and getting nice prices for the excess copies at the old Bradord All nighter, for those who dont know it, grab All Turned on if you see a copy, its one belter of a sound:hatsoff2:. Selecta Disc also recieved a fortune from me, I had about 20 different Soul Sound singles I obtained from them at one timewhistling , I get the impression these bootlegs are now wiorth more than their O/E counterparts?, and no i no longer have them.

Around 1972 my tastes in exotic substances changed and also my tastes in music, Starship, Doobie Bros, Genisis, Pink Flloyd etc etc ruiled as mind expansion took place.

By the time I came back into the fold around 1978, and started trying to put my singles collection back togeather, (the bulk of which I had sold to pay for a monkey I had on my back I'd progressed to:sad: ) Fred was no longer in business.

Fred had a guy called Mick as a business partner when he was in Bury Park, about 3 years ago the wife and I were in B&Q in Luton to buy a bit of furniture for the kitchen and who should arrange the sale but Freds old oppo Mick, after FLMOORE folded he had managed a record shop in dunstable, which either folded or he had enough of the hassle and went to B&Q, in transpired that, at the time Fred had moved to Brighton and was not a well man,I dont know the current state of play, but I'm on holiday next week, Costa Del luton ( she wants some decorating done), I''ll shoot into B&Q and see if I can get an update on Freds health, as far as I'm concerned he was a major player in the supply of soul records back in the mid to late 60T's, the icing in my collection from him was Love Reputation - Denise LaSalle, he only ever got one copy and he actually kept it specially for me, I think SOULCARP will remember that occasion????, as I took it down the 3 Horseshoes the night I got it, the DJ stuck it on, he knew I only ever took the major sounds of the time doe=wn there, and the place erupted, everyone, and I mean everyone was trying to buy it from me....no chance, I'd paid a £5ver for it and was being offerd £20, not a lot now, but in 1971 the equivalent of what £150/£190 now?..

GREAT STORY

Social source share

Don't think it was officially released. I have a bootleg copy on Groovesville with the Wingate Strings- Lets Have a Love In (Inst) on the other side.I have the Rare Stamps album.

My first ever import was from FL Moore about 1968/9- Heaven Must Have Sent You - The Elgins. 15 bob old money. I continued to buy a few records from FL Moore until I discovered a shop on Doncaster market ( Cannot remember the name-may have been Ashton or similar) then after that Selecta Disc in Nottingham.

Steve

It was Peter Hall's .

Malc Burton

Social source share

Rob

Rob

I used to buy ex chart singles in the 1968/69 period from my local record shop and they were 4/- then so new releases would have been more. I reckon these 45s you mention must have been a few years earlier.

Social source share

Rob

I used to buy ex chart singles in the 1968/69 period from my local record shop and they were 4/- then so new releases would have been more. I reckon these 45s you mention must have been a few years earlier.

Paul, I can remember the price of singles going up to 2/9 from 2/6 in the local record shop.

I can't remember what year, but the prices might have been cheaper up here in the north (lower wages ?).

Dave.

Social source share

It was Peter Hall's .

Malc Burton

Thanks for that Malc. I went there on a regular basis during the Donny Top Rank days. One place I never got to though was Boylens at Conisborough where I think a lot of DJ's bought stuff from. Was it not a bike shop as well ? or something similar.

I also sent for stuff from lists by Jeff King.

Steve

Social source share

Paul, I can remember the price of singles going up to 2/9 from 2/6 in the local record shop.

I can't remember what year, but the prices might have been cheaper up here in the north (lower wages ?).

Dave.

A lot of new Uk records I bought from my local Vallance shop were Six Shillings and 8 pence. This would be around 1969 when a lot of reissues starting coming out.

Steve

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

A lot of new Uk records I bought from my local Vallance shop were Six Shillings and 8 pence. This would be around 1969 when a lot of reissues starting coming out.

Steve

DON'T KNOW IF ITS BEEN DOCUMENTED ON SS BEFORE, THE BEST LISTS AROUND THAT TIME 1969 70 THAT I HEARD ABOUT WERE FROM BRIAN "45" PHILLIPS, WHO LIVED IN MY TOWN OF MIDDLETON IN MANCHESTER. HE WAS THE MAIN DJ AT THE WHEEL AT THE TIME, AND HIS LISTS WERE ALWAYS FULL OF GOODIES . IMPORTS OF WHEEL SOUNDS AND BRITISH LABELS.

Social source share

I was a regular and bought loads from Boylens.

It was a TV shop as well as Soul Imports (interesting combo).

Good times!

:rolleyes:

Sean

Boylan's also sold washing machines , fridges , radiograms , radios and vacuum cleaners .

They always stocked pop records , and soul records were a development of that : I am not sure , but I think Dave " Snowy " Morgan was involved in getting Mary ( Boylan ) to sell them .

Malc Burton

Social source share

Boylan's also sold washing machines , fridges , radiograms , radios and vacuum cleaners .

They always stocked pop records , and soul records were a development of that : I am not sure , but I think Dave " Snowy " Morgan was involved in getting Mary ( Boylan ) to sell them .

Malc Burton

As usual your'e spot on again Malc, snowy used to be in on saturdays, when he wasn't at his usual place of work and normally Mary's bussiest day, also right about all the domestic appliances / stereos etc, and they did have bikes, allmost unbelievable when you saw the size of the premises.

They did have some cracking vinyl go through the doors, I remember a lot of the sleeves had Soul Bowl stickers on them.

Regards, Tony. (Ado)

Social source share

As usual your'e spot on again Malc, snowy used to be in on saturdays, when he wasn't at his usual place of work and normally Mary's bussiest day, also right about all the domestic appliances / stereos etc, and they did have bikes, allmost unbelievable when you saw the size of the premises.

They did have some cracking vinyl go through the doors, I remember a lot of the sleeves had Soul Bowl stickers on them.

Regards, Tony. (Ado)

Hi Tony .

I thought Dave had something to do with the records , and come to think of it now , the sleeves did have Soul Bowl stickers on them : I wonder why Mary never removed them ? .......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Steve

Thats it mate 3 for quid around then. Stuff like the Tams, Newbeats,Mood Mosaic,Chiffons and others all brand new---it still felt like a bloody fortune thoughwhistling.gif

Social source share

Thats it mate 3 for quid around then. Stuff like the Tams, Newbeats,Mood Mosaic,Chiffons and others all brand new---it still felt like a bloody fortune thoughwhistling.gif

The 'commercial' record shop in Luton was Farmers, as opposed to a specialist like Fl moore/Selecta disc etc, I well remember coming back off holiday from Torquay in 1n 1967 after hearing stuff like Another Saturday Night - Sam Cooke / Come on over to my place- Drifters and such like played in if I remember correctly The Scotch Club, anyone else remember it?, anyway 7'' singles were 3/6 at that time, and it was a bloody fortune when you were only earning about £2 a week, it had its compensations though, blueies were only 10 for a quid, and were still just about legalthumbup.gif

NB The term Northern had'nt yet been coined and most dicos down south were playing 'Mod' soul Billy Preston, Skatalites, Sam Cooke, Homer Banks etc etc, it was only later James Brown took over.

Edited by DanDare
Social source share

very late in 1971 i remember as a kid putting a wanted ad in n.m.e for mitch ryder breakout, i had not one reply then about a week later a record arrived, not expecting anything i opened it and it was a shiny new 'breakout' u.k demo the guy said he was an ex dj and he didnt need it anymore and asked that i send any current chart hit of my choice, i dont know why but i sent him 'son of my father' chickory tip laugh.gif so i reakon i did well from the price in this ad:thumbsup:

Yo Ric Tic, I've just tread your scan ,which I had'nt done previously, cant believe some of the stuff he's got on there, OK, so I hvve more or less all of them in my collection, but what I cant believe is how early he had them for sale, especially when I remember how long it took me, and cost me, to obtain copies later when I really got hooked, I think the man was well ahead of the pack at the timehatsoff2.gif

Social source share

I remember FLMoore lists from 1967 they sold allsorts of mixed genres and later on by 1970 got more into soul imports because of the growing demand.

Some of the prices on the list were quite expensive 1n 1970.

I use to sell hundreds of records at the time at the Wheel and other clubs the ones I didn't sell personally I put on my monthly lists which I started in 1968.

The following prices are what I use to get in mid 1970, although I know the Gloucester and Catacombs lads use to get a bit more.

Heres a few examples>>>

UK RELEASE ORIGINALS

Alexandra Patten A lil love sometimes,Bobby Sheen Dr.Love,Art Freeman Slipping around,Invitations Whats wrong with my baby,The Incredibles There's nothing else to say,Roscoe Robinson That's enough,Little Anthony Gonna fix you good,Garnet Mimms Looking for you,Mary Love You turned my bitter into sweet,Major Lance Everybody loves a goodtime& Investigate,The Spinner Sweet thing,James Carr Thats What I wanna know,Mitch Ryder Breakout.Barbara Mills queen of fools.ALL WERE £1.50

US IMPORTS IN DEMAND AT THE TIME

The Artistics This Heart of mine,Bobby Taylor Oh Ive been blessed,,Johnie Taylor Changes,Mitch Ryder You Get your Kicks,Bob Wilson Feels Good,JJ Barnes Real Humdinger,Denis Laselle A love Reputation,Francis Nero Keep on loving me,Clifford Curry I can't get hold of myself,Fantastic 4 I can't stop looking for my baby,Bobby Bland Shoes.ALL WERE £2

OTHER US IMPORTS

Edwin Starr Backstreet and Agent OO soul,Marlen Shaw Lets wade in the water,The Artistics chase is on,The duettes Every beat of my heart,The Ojays Working on your Case, Gene chandler Barbara Ackllin Teacher to the preacher,Jackie Wilson Sweetest Feeling Dobie Gray out on the floor,The Impressions you ought to be in heaven & Nothing can stop me,Kelly Brothers Love Time,Barbara Lyn This is the thanks I get & Youre loosing me. San Remo Strings Festival Time ALL WERE 25/-

UK RELEASE ORIGINALS

Lou Johnson Unsatisfied,Irma Thomas What are you trying to do,Major Lance Rhythm &Matador, Darrow Fletcher Pain gets a little deeper,Los Canaros Get on Your Knees,Ray pollard DrifterALL WERE £1

LOADS OF UK RELESE ORIGINALS FROM5/- TO £1.

I WAS SELLING THE UK RELEASED STUFF COMING THROIUGH ON IMPORT FOR AROUND THE SAME PRICE AS THE UK RELEASE.

I loved demos but a lot of people didn't like them so you couldn't get anymore for them at that time.

Social source share

I remember FLMoore lists from 1967 they sold allsorts of mixed genres and later on by 1970 got more into soul imports because of the growing demand.

Some of the prices on the list were quite expensive 1n 1970.

I use to sell hundreds of records at the time at the Wheel and other clubs the ones I didn't sell personally I put on my monthly lists which I started in 1968.

The following prices are what I use to get in mid 1970, although I know the Gloucester and Catacombs lads use to get a bit more.

Heres a few examples>>>

UK RELEASE ORIGINALS

Alexandra Patten A lil love sometimes,Bobby Sheen Dr.Love,Art Freeman Slipping around,Invitations Whats wrong with my baby,The Incredibles There's nothing else to say,Roscoe Robinson That's enough,Little Anthony Gonna fix you good,Garnet Mimms Looking for you,Mary Love You turned my bitter into sweet,Major Lance Everybody loves a goodtime& Investigate,The Spinner Sweet thing,James Carr Thats What I wanna know,Mitch Ryder Breakout.Barbara Mills queen of fools.ALL WERE £1.50

US IMPORTS IN DEMAND AT THE TIME

The Artistics This Heart of mine,Bobby Taylor Oh Ive been blessed,,Johnie Taylor Changes,Mitch Ryder You Get your Kicks,Bob Wilson Feels Good,JJ Barnes Real Humdinger,Denis Laselle A love Reputation,Francis Nero Keep on loving me,Clifford Curry I can't get hold of myself,Fantastic 4 I can't stop looking for my baby,Bobby Bland Shoes.ALL WERE £2

OTHER US IMPORTS

Edwin Starr Backstreet and Agent OO soul,Marlen Shaw Lets wade in the water,The Artistics chase is on,The duettes Every beat of my heart,The Ojays Working on your Case, Gene chandler Barbara Ackllin Teacher to the preacher,Jackie Wilson Sweetest Feeling Dobie Gray out on the floor,The Impressions you ought to be in heaven & Nothing can stop me,Kelly Brothers Love Time,Barbara Lyn This is the thanks I get & Youre loosing me. San Remo Strings Festival Time ALL WERE 25/-

UK RELEASE ORIGINALS

Lou Johnson Unsatisfied,Irma Thomas What are you trying to do,Major Lance Rhythm &Matador, Darrow Fletcher Pain gets a little deeper,Los Canaros Get on Your Knees,Ray pollard DrifterALL WERE £1

LOADS OF UK RELESE ORIGINALS FROM5/- TO £1.

I WAS SELLING THE UK RELEASED STUFF COMING THROIUGH ON IMPORT FOR AROUND THE SAME PRICE AS THE UK RELEASE.

I loved demos but a lot of people didn't like them so you couldn't get anymore for them at that time.

I don't suppose you kept any of your old lists did you Brian?

Unfortunately mine all went when I moved houses sometime in the mid 80's - I had loads of yours, Soul Bowl's and Soussan's and I gave 'em all to a guy called Brian Hobson (who I haven't seen for 15 years or so).

It'd be interesting to see what future gems were in your 30p section......from memory there were things like the Detroit Executives, Richard Popcorn Wylie, the Perigents and loads of Detroit and Chicago goodies but there must have been loads of others which went big over the years...

Ian D :D

Social source share

I don't suppose you kept any of your old lists did you Brian?

Unfortunately mine all went when I moved houses sometime in the mid 80's - I had loads of yours, Soul Bowl's and Soussan's and I gave 'em all to a guy called Brian Hobson (who I haven't seen for 15 years or so).

It'd be interesting to see what future gems were in your 30p section......from memory there were things like the Detroit Executives, Richard Popcorn Wylie, the Perigents and loads of Detroit and Chicago goodies but there must have been loads of others which went big over the years...

Ian D biggrin.gif

Hi Ian,

I didn't keep any when I moved house I left loads of chests full of that sort of stuff in my Dads for him to throw out.

However I later met a few old customers who sent me some photo copies of lists from around 73 onwards I would scan some in on here if I could.I will see if I can get someone at work to do it.

In 1970 some big money started to be offered I know farmer Carl got offered £10 plus for Baby reconsider and Darkest days.

I was offered the same for Jerry cooke Robert Banks Emanuel Laskey and Moses Smith at the Wheel by some guys from the Midlands.

Regards

Brian

Social source share

Hi Ian,

I didn't keep any when I moved house I left loads of chests full of that sort of stuff in my Dads for him to throw out.

However I later met a few old customers who sent me some photo copies of lists from around 73 onwards I would scan some in on here if I could.I will see if I can get someone at work to do it.

In 1970 some big money started to be offered I know farmer Carl got offered £10 plus for Baby reconsider and Darkest days.

I was offered the same for Jerry cooke Robert Banks Emanuel Laskey and Moses Smith at the Wheel by some guys from the Midlands.

Regards

Brian

Brill if you could Brian. I considered your lists to be right up there with the best ever. I think it was the sheer scale of unknown cheapies on small labels that made it a must-see list - it was almost more fun to go past the biggies to the cheapies at the bottom of the first page and beyond simply to imagine what they were like. Time's proved that there were tons of goodies there and I'm sure a lot of the S.S. readers would salivate if they saw some of that stuff. Also there were some major future rarities there and I wonder if any of 'em turned out to be one or two offs? It's 36-37 years since those lists were printed and I bet there's some titles that would interest people since so many of 'em went straight into some serious collections.

Also would I be right in thinking that some people would get to the stuff first? I can think of at least one person that would have gone round to yours and spent loads especially on the cheapies..........

Also, if you don't mind me asking, did you have several sources? I remember buying the Malibus and Little Eddie Taylor off you and wondering if you had a Texas contact?

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Brill if you could Brian. I considered your lists to be right up there with the best ever. I think it was the sheer scale of unknown cheapies on small labels that made it a must-see list - it was almost more fun to go past the biggies to the cheapies at the bottom of the first page and beyond simply to imagine what they were like. Time's proved that there were tons of goodies there and I'm sure a lot of the S.S. readers would salivate if they saw some of that stuff. Also there were some major future rarities there and I wonder if any of 'em turned out to be one or two offs? It's 36-37 years since those lists were printed and I bet there's some titles that would interest people since so many of 'em went straight into some serious collections.

Also would I be right in thinking that some people would get to the stuff first? I can think of at least one person that would have gone round to yours and spent loads especially on the cheapies..........

Also, if you don't mind me asking, did you have several sources? I remember buying the Malibus and Little Eddie Taylor off you and wondering if you had a Texas contact?

Ian D biggrin.gif

I had a few sources in Philadelphia, Memphis,Michigan, Martin Kopel who was in Canada and your old friend Mr Sousann.I use to have to shift through hundreds at a time listening to allsorts of crap before compiling the lists the trouble was after the Torch and I'd stop going to the Mecca I lost a lot of interest and eventually just jacked it in.

I sent the list out all at the same time in SAEs I received around 250 each month.

A lot of serious collectors and DJ's just turned up on spec because I didn't have a phone in the old council house.

I'd come in drunk and people would be waiting for me especially Ian,Soul Sam and lots of others.

Social source share

I believe that there is still a branch of F.L. Moore's in Stevenage, Herts. Might be worth ringing to find out how he came by the records in the 70 ts.

Social source share

I had a few sources in Philadelphia, Memphis,Michigan, Martin Kopel who was in Canada and your old friend Mr Sousann.I use to have to shift through hundreds at a time listening to allsorts of crap before compiling the lists the trouble was after the Torch and I'd stop going to the Mecca I lost a lot of interest and eventually just jacked it in.

I sent the list out all at the same time in SAEs I received around 250 each month.

A lot of serious collectors and DJ's just turned up on spec because I didn't have a phone in the old council house.

I'd come in drunk and people would be waiting for me especially Ian,Soul Sam and lots of others.

F*ckin' typical innit.

I'm trying to grill him about what incredible records passed through his hands and he was pissed at the time!

The big mistake I made was getting round there too early! Trust Sam and Levine to be waiting at your door @ 10.30pm LOL......

250 stamped addressed envelopes to mail out in the early 70's was a major operation in those days. I can't even begin to think what must have passed through your hands............

Probably just as well you were pissed Bri. If you valued those cheapies today what would they be worth I wonder?

Assuming you can remember of course.......laugh.gif

Ian D biggrin.gif

Ian D :smile:

Social source share

Hi Ian,

Regards

Brian

Hi Brian

Just found some of your lists upstairs they dont have dates on but the address is 5 gilpin walk they have to be in the 70's cause they are in new money, rex garvin queen,otis leavill boomerang and little sonny wade in water are up for offers, james carr thats what i want to know on stateside is 1.75p

ted

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!