Karen Heath's profile photo

Art Deco Buildings

Freebasing Karen Heath

Posted

As a follow on from the detective thread where there have been a flurry of photos of Art deco buildings, I thought this subject deserved a thread of it's own!

Although it has already featured, here is the fantastic Hoover building by night, one of the finest examples of an Art Deco building in the UK.....

post-1400-12665148057357_thumb.jpg

Share this source music forum post

soul source url
Posted

As a follow on from the detective thread where there have been a flurry of photos of Art deco buildings, I thought this subject deserved a thread of it's own!

Although it has already featured, here is the fantastic Hoover building by night, one of the finest examples of a TESCO Store in the UK.....

:thumbup:

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Although it has already featured, here is the fantastic Hoover building by night, one of the finest examples of an Art Deco building in the UK.....

Definately my favourite period of architechture. There is a fantastic cinema in Glasgow, now flats sadly, but fully restored. Lots of Art Deco and Art Nouveau on the Great Western Road.

Edited by Matt Male

soul source url
Posted

At least they haven't knocked it down! :no:

soul source url
Posted

Definately my favourite period of architechture. There is a fantastic cinema in Glasgow, now flats sadly, but fully restored. Lots of Art Deco and Art Nouveau on the Great Western Road.

That is nice-there are a lot of cinemas in this style still standing but many of them now have garish neon signs on them and are going to rack and ruin. It is great when they are renovated.

soul source url
Posted

At least they haven't knocked it down! :thumbup:

Unlike, Firestones just down the road in Brentford! Even though the developers knew it was listed wanker.gif .

25-figure-firestone-tyres.jpg

soul source url
Posted (edited)

My place of work (windows above WHS) Richmond Station still retains it's Art Deco front. The stairs leading up to our office still have the old brass handrails above the bannisters. Also the loos upstairs still have the old mosaic tiled floors.

Richmond_Station%252C_Richmond%252C_Surrey.jpg

Edited by Supercorsa

soul source url
Posted

How about this little gem tucked away in Kent in some little scruffy village.

soul source url
Posted

Been doing a bit of work on the old Littlewoods Building (Liverpool), fantastic Art-Deco stylie - but sadly since it's been empty for a few years it does need a fair bit of work.....

Was originally planned for conversion into flats (Urban splash) but with the outside facade remaining the same, just the inside would be brought upto date (below) - sadly current economic climate means the project been put on hold for the forseeable... sad.gif

FS_LITTLEWOODS.jpg

soul source url
Posted

Been doing a bit of work on the old Littlewoods Building (Liverpool), fantastic Art-Deco stylie - but sadly since it's been empty for a few years it does need a fair bit of work.....

Was originally planned for conversion into flats (Urban splash) but with the outside facade remaining the same, just the inside would be brought upto date (below) - sadly current economic climate means the project been put on hold for the forseeable... sad.gif

FS_LITTLEWOODS.jpg

Love that building, my Mum worked there. Urban Splash also renovated the Midland Hotel in Morecame.

midland_1.jpg

soul source url
Posted (edited)

post-1887-12665234462604_thumb.jpgpost-1887-126652351113_thumb.jpgpost-1887-12665234462604_thumb.jpgONE DAY I WILL BUILD ONE OF THESE

here are a couple of our favourites

De la Warr Pavillion & The Bridlington Spa

Edited by Karen and Rob Wigley

soul source url
Posted

My place of work (windows above WHS) Richmond Station still retains it's Art Deco front. The stairs leading up to our office still have the old brass handrails above the bannisters. Also the loos upstairs still have the old mosaic tiled floors.

The Southern Railway were fantastic exponents of the art deco style building. Loads of examples have been huriedly slapped with preservation orders before the vandals at Network Rail managed to demolish them :thumbup:. There's even art deco signal boxes......albeit the vandals have managed to cover them in grafitti!

post-2175-12665233367467_thumb.jpg

soul source url
Posted

But the Yanks don't muck about do they !post-1887-12665236519137_thumb.jpg

soul source url
Posted

Love that building, my Mum worked there. Urban Splash also renovated the Midland Hotel in Morecame.

midland_1.jpg

The Midland at Morecambe is great, we stayed there last year for our 20th Wedding Anniversary

Also Phil took his wife Bernie for her 50th earlier this year.thumbup.gif

soul source url
Posted

the Chrysler building. :thumbup: Lovely building, shame about the company......

soul source url
Guest\
Posted

There a cinama just outside Souldrop,fantastic

soul source url
Posted

There's a lovely art deco styled building on the Kiddy - Bridgnorth Road that used to called the Nautical William. bIt was built in the syle of a lido. Had some great nights there in the early 70s when the West Midland Soul Club ran promotions from there and in the 90s, the 86 club had monthly do's. I remember seeing Ronnie McNair & Eddie Holman (it has to be said he was putrid...) Sorry, don't have a photo. Ade

soul source url
Posted

fantastic picture of the Chrysler building...architecture of the Art Deco period was fabulous.

from Susan

soul source url
Posted

A few shots of Bury Odeon

As it was

And now soon to be demolished though

soul source url
Posted

post-1887-12665234462604_thumb.jpgpost-1887-126652351113_thumb.jpgpost-1887-12665234462604_thumb.jpgONE DAY I WILL BUILD ONE OF THESE

here are a couple of our favourites

De la Warr Pavillion & The Bridlington Spa

hey theres a art deco house in the north bay too rob

soul source url
Posted

p_battersea.jpg

recognise this

p_dorchester.jpg

dorchester

p_greater.jpg

ciggie factory

soul source url
Posted

p_battersea.jpg

recognise this

p_dorchester.jpg

dorchester

p_greater.jpg

ciggie factory

That bottom one is local to me-The Carreras building in Camden-it is one of those odd Art Deco buildings with a heavy Egyptian influence.

soul source url
Guest marge\
Posted

I restored my house to all its art deco origins, it was a real delight to knock down hardboard, walls and find everything there, grooved balistrades, fireplaces, minton tiled flooring. I lovingly restored it all, the cast iron deep bath to all its ceramic glory, the art deco grooved sink, hours and hours of work alone. The person who bought the house off me carpeted and stripped the lot, but you can't deny the convenience of a combi boiler and mixer taps, so I don't blame them. It was there gaff then, after all.

There is a place in Coventry off the A45, will try and take a photo, and a few houses along the same road with all original outer decor, they look fantastic but not so sure everyone shares the same affection for the the geometry? Hence my buyers stripping my house to replace with carpets and patio doors.

soul source url
Posted

I LOVE the Chrysler building-it is amazing! The entrance and interior of the lobby is really impressive too gleaming in marble and chrome. Ignore the boyfriend-he got in the way!

post-1400-12665357897849_thumb.jpg

post-1400-12665358470667_thumb.jpg

post-1400-12665360013716_thumb.jpg

post-1400-12665360917347_thumb.jpg

soul source url
Posted

Oh, our hotel in New York was Art Deco too......

post-1400-12665366647595_thumb.jpg

soul source url
Posted

That is nice-there are a lot of cinemas in this style still standing but many of them now have garish neon signs on them and are going to rack and ruin. It is great when they are renovated.

one of the architects of the cinemas was responsible for this quaint little family seaside cottage here that often draws a one day comment

DSCF2935_fs.jpg

Image111_fs.jpg

recently been renovated but no pics online of it since apart from above , old ones dont do it justice

soul source url
Posted

This house built by modernist architect Pierre Verbruggen in 1920, for himself.

Chris L

soul source url
Posted

This beauty can be seen on the outskirts of Brussels town centre, it's called Stoclet Palace, not strictly 100% art deco, mostly art nouveau, but a wonderful piece of architecture for sure......................many a sunny afternoon panting at this one :thumbup:

soul source url
Posted

This house built by modernist architect Pierre Verbruggen in 1920, for himself.

Chris L

Just read a really great novel by Simon Mawer called " The Glass Room" about a modernist house built in the late 20's early 30s in Czechoslovakia and the people who inhabit it and how their lives are changed by the rise of fascism and the 2nd World War. It's based on a real house the Villa Tugendhat in Brno designed by German architect Mies van der Rohe. It's well worth a read for anyone interested in the Art Deco/Modernist period of architecture and it's a got a great storyline too.

Cheers

Manus

soul source url
Posted

The Midland at Morecambe is great, we stayed there last year for our 20th Wedding Anniversary

Also Phil took his wife Bernie for her 50th earlier this year.thumbup.gif

Hi Dave, me and Lesley stayed there for a weekend a few years ago had a brilliant time saw Devious Soul Machine (anyone remember them?) on the friday and an all nighter at the Carlton on Saturday very happy memories of a lovely Hotel. ATB Steve

soul source url
Posted

That bottom one is local to me-The Carreras building in Camden-it is one of those odd Art Deco buildings with a heavy Egyptian influence.

I love that Egyptian revival theme :lol:

Debbie x

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Here are some photos from The Burgh Island Hotel, i loved it :yes: it was like going back in time :lol:

post-14474-1266571233371_thumb.jpg

post-14474-12665712489415_thumb.jpg

post-14474-12665712627141_thumb.jpg

post-14474-12665712777391_thumb.jpg

post-14474-12665712893438_thumb.jpg

Edited by parkash

soul source url
Posted

Eltham Palace..........

p_eltham.jpg

soul source url
Posted

Here are some photos from The Burgh Island Hotel, i loved it :yes: it was like going back in time :lol:

My older brother stayed there for a weekend, it was a 1940s theme, everybody had to dress like

it was 1940. Nice pics :yes:

soul source url
Posted

This is a great thread, can't wait untl someone post a thread asking fav Frog model and/or Airbus airliner :lol:

Anyway needless to say houses and greed is something that seems to go hand in hand in the UK, although this was a listed building the owners sought and got permission to demolish this fantastic Lucas built house on Wentworth gold course. It has a special meaning for me, I showed Tony Jacklin's very pregnant wife around it when it was for sale, must have been about 1969/70. The very small picture shows the building demolished, once these things have gone, they're gone for ever :yes:

soul source url
Posted

For anyone who has been to Keb's Deep Funk, Madam Jojo's in Soho (an area with probably the highest concentration of Art Deco buildings / interiors in the UK?)................

photo001.jpg

soul source url
Posted

There's a lovely art deco styled building on the Kiddy - Bridgnorth Road that used to called the Nautical William. bIt was built in the syle of a lido. Had some great nights there in the early 70s when the West Midland Soul Club ran promotions from there and in the 90s, the 86 club had monthly do's. I remember seeing Ronnie McNair & Eddie Holman (it has to be said he was putrid...) Sorry, don't have a photo. Ade

Here's a picture as it is now - a nursing home.

post-10098-12665721416983_thumb.jpg

soul source url
Posted

This is right in the centre of Antwerp, a kind of mini-Empire State, nearly got knocked down in the 80s :lol:

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Last year whilst on vacation on the South Coast at Weymouth I spied this thing at the far end of Weymouth pebble beach. It's the Riviera Hotel, looks great from the outside but very tatty inside I'm afraid, you can stay there but a quick visit to TripAdvisor and reading the reports confirmed it was Fawlty Towers at best. Top building in any case.

Edited by Chris L

soul source url
Posted

Even factories in Coventry have Art Deco entrances.

soul source url
Posted

Last year whilst on vacation on the South Coast at Weymouth I spied this thing at the far end of Weymouth pebble beach. It's the Riviera Hotel, looks great from the outside but very tatty inside I'm afraid, you can stay there but a quick visit to TripAdvisor and reading the reports confirmed it was Falwty Towers at best. Top building in any case.

That's a nice one Chris, it looks huge.

soul source url
Guest\
Posted (edited)

This is where I work (I love my job). It's a bit an old picture but the building is pretty much the same now. The inside is being refurbished and almost complete, it is looking fantastic. The second picture gives a birds eye view and shows the amazing views from the building. The red X is where the building is

post-11139-12665769373063_thumb.jpg

post-11139-1266577000254_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikecook

soul source url
Posted

That's a nice one Chris, it looks huge.

I beg your pardon.....................:lol:

soul source url
Posted

What a beauty in London built 1934

Some flats in Camden, meethinks The 39 Steps :yes:

This is in Tulse Hill, London

Don't worry kids I'll be back with more...................:lol:

soul source url
Posted

The 'New Victoria' cinema in Edinburgh..

early.jpg

became the Odeon

exterior_1991.jpeg

Now sadly...

3600818273_ec80601bdd.jpg

soul source url
Guest\
Posted

five mins down the road from where i come from in Poole, Dorset, you can find loads of lovely buildings around Sandbanks - just a tad more up market than the estate i come from :yes:

here are a couple of sample pictures

post-11139-12665778708062_thumb.jpg

post-11139-12665778921557_thumb.jpg

the next ones show front & back of building plus the area location from birds eye

post-11139-12665779174795_thumb.jpgpost-11139-12665779391018_thumb.jpg

post-11139-12665779505719_thumb.jpg

just as a matter of interest (or not :yes: ), John Lennon bought his Auntie Mimie a place down there where she lived til her passing. When she passed away, a few of my mates squated there and we used to have raves in the house. From the outside it looked a fairly small building but inside it was like the tardis :lol: At one of the raves we had a full size bouncy castle in one of the rooms :thumbsup:

soul source url
Posted

Also in Edinburgh

Dominion_Cinema_Edinburgh.jpg

soul source url
Posted

And the De La Warr Pavilion, Bexhill - stunning:

De-La-Warr-Pavilion-at-Be-003.jpg

soul source url
Posted

The Camden flats above reminded me of the iconic Florin Court on Charterhouse Square (also known as Whitehaven Mansions of Hercule Poirot fame).................

3418859446_38912774c9.jpg

3418853710_db5f057b15.jpg

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Check out this virtual tour of the Rennie Mackintosh house/museum at 78 Derngate, Northampton, especially the hall/lounge. :lol:

http://www.78derngate.org.uk/content/virtual-tour

Edited by Maark

soul source url

Freebasing - Source Forum

An off the soul beat lifestyle talk forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

Source Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.